Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
[Beginner] Starting Rolls
05-08-2013, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 06:14 PM by YellowG.)
[Beginner] Starting Rolls
For those who are having trouble deciding when to stop rerolling, I tried to make the decision-making process easier on you. Just know that this is ALL personal opinion. I will make some changes here and there if the community seems to think otherwise, but regardless of anything I change, what this entire "guide" boils down to is opinion. You will have to evaluate what you want out of the game yourself and make the final decision.

NOTES: (READ ME!!)
These suggestions are for FIRST rolls, not for later rolls. Certain monsters will have much greater value when you have teams established, such as Ra, Kirin, and Venus.
No monster is perfect for every situation/dungeon; you cannot rely on one monster to carry you throughout the entire game. Plan accordingly.
Light is always a pain in the rear to level.
You may or may not end up building your teams around your initial roll, depending on what your next roll(s) are.
Red and dark are easier colors to start with, since Titan/Vampire are farmable, and dark has access to great stat-sticks (Rainbow Keepers and Dub-mythlits).
The meta is constantly changing; ratings may drastically change with newer updates.

On a scale from 1 to 10, where 4+ is good, 6+ is very strong, and 8+ should not be passed up unless you have a specific monster in mind, and 10 would be game-breaking:

GODS
Indian
Shiva: 5 (great for low-levels farming Wednesday/Friday Expert and Supers, can be replaced by Top Droidragon. super powerful ult evo that requires devilits, though)
Lakshmi: 2 (lame skill, nothing special)
Parvati: 5 (amazing stats for a heartmaking sub, good leader potential if you can manage to get twinlits)
Indra: 2 (no appeal whatsoever as a starter, OK damage reduction sub later on, and OK dragon-type leader when ultimate evo-ed)
Vritra: 2 (unique and powerful damage skill with a resolve/Lucifer team niche, OK dragon-type leader when ultimate evo-ed as well)
Krishna: 6 (not impressive with only 2 sets, but 3 is rather difficult to execute. active skill helps but ultimately not worth it to me. overall solid but not fantastic)
Sarasvati: 5 (similar to Krishna but with an even less forgiving skill floor. super good in tricolor, though)
Vishnu: 6.5 (also similar to Krishna, but with a higher floor meaning more consistent damage with a respectable 3.5x)
Ganesha: 3 (useless as a leader, but fantastic for survival on dungeons with a heavy-hitting boss and status shield)
Durga: 7.5 (simply ridiculous damage - Kirin with a build in god-enhance. only for those with the skill for 25x, obviously, but also with the ability to gauge whether or not using the active skill will finish the kill. high risk, high reward, definitely very powerful.)

Japanese
Kagutsuchi: 2 (E-Z farmbot, especially in dark ultimate evolved form, but becomes useless outside of menial farming tasks that can be done otherwise. great for PAL points on Thursdays though Big Grin. can now be replaced by Joker + A. Blossom)
Viper Orochi: 3 (great late game for special dungeons like Zeus and Valkyrie with delay, and great leader skill for zombie teams for Hera, but not so great earlier with no damage multiplier and unnecessary skill early on. 25 turns is relatively difficult to stall for)
Susano: 3 (good for Egyptian teams and balance teams, especially with skill ups, but only for specific dungeons where you can tank halved hits but not full hits)
Amaterasu: 3(amazing healing, but has become less useful later on. replaceable with ultimate evo Archangel/Alraune)
Yomi: 4 (relatively bad without proper spike damage team (e.g. Anubis/Ra). when ultimate evolved to D/L, gains phenomenal ATK and good leader potential, but not viable earlier since evo materials are tough to obtain)

Norse (super strong actives, great as early game leaders as well as late game subs)
Freyr: 7 (good RCV for fire, which is normally scarce)
Idunn & Idunna: 6
Freyja: 6
Thor: 6
Loki: 7 (viable pairing with Lucifer for some dungeons, toughest Norse god to skill-up though)

Greek (with ultimate evolutions, Greek 2.0 gods will receive a massive stat buff)
Minerva: 1 (nothing worthwhile, just a stat stick and a unique dual resistance that isn't really useful outside of certain dungeons (e.g. Flame War Dragon))
Neptune: 3 (good for stall teams. situational sub overall, doesn't fit on many teams)
Ceres: 3 (amazing RCV. would not recommend using her unless you have a specific reason to, though)
Venus: 3 (see Yomi, but usually subbed in healer teams instead. not much leader potential)
Hades: 1 (currently pointless as a REM roll, no appeal over a DQ Hera or other farmable subs)
Ares: 6 (ridiculous ATK, now viable on dark Metatron teams)
Hermes: 6
Artemis: 6
Apollo: 6
Persephone: 6.5 (versatile, able to pair with Lucifer or Loki or another Persephone)

Egyptian
Horus: 7.5 (active skill and awakenings are irrelevant most of the time. good power for skill level required, though. might be tough for newbies but not too tough)
Isis: 7 (works extremely well with almost any team and is incredibly newbie-friendly, tons of damage and covers the hardest color to cover. will eventually hit walls when damage is not enough, much later on)
Bastet: 8.5 (highly versatile burst damage team which has no risk of being orb-trolled. also fairly newbie-friendly since you still get damage multipliers with lesser comboes. on par if not slightly better with Kushinada, as a 7x combo is usually near the upper limit of people's abilities, making a 4x more consistent with Bastet)
Ra: 5 (very challenging to pull this one off consistently. ideal late-game leader, not a good leader to get to late-game with. for the player who plans far, far ahead. ONLY for experienced players)
Anubis: 2 (virtually impossible to consistently manage. ONLY for experienced players)

Angels (excessively grindy, excepting Lucifer)
Uriel: 4
Gabriel: 4
Michael: 4
Raphael: 4 (great burst damage when paired with a heartbreaker)
Lucifer: 8.5 (great finisher skill, incredibly strong early power with a simple dub-mythlit/Rainbow keeper team. not as good for the harder descends, though. very grindy)

Chinese (for all but Kirin, excellent spike damage, perfect synergy with active skill, reasonably easy to manage leader skill)
Incarnation of Suzaku, Leilan: 7
Incarnation of Seiryuu, Karin: 7
Incarnation of Genbu, Meimei: 7
Incarnation of Kirin, Sakuya: 8 (marginally more powerful than Horus, with a very relevant 20% gravity skill on a reasonable cooldown. an incredible end-game pick. ONLY for experienced players)
Incarnation of Byakko, Haku: 7.5 (arguably the strongest of the Chinese gods due to color advantage, excepting Kirin)

Japanese 2.0
Ame no Uzume: 4.5 (nothing incredible, limited as all >80% HP 3.5x leads are. skill is relatively lame as too, even with AB skill ups)
Umisachi & Yamasachi: 8 (similar to Kirin, but no Echidna for stalling. easier to level than a Kirin team, arguably more versatile. For the sake of comparison, equal to Kirin. ONLY for experienced players)
Kushinada: 8 (one of the most forgiving burst leads in the game. skill cap is literally through the roof, although less skilled players will find it tough to execute consistent 7-combos at a minimum to bring her in line with most 3.5x leads. great for beginners as well as experts)
Izanagi: 4 (an alright skill that strikes synergy with leader skill, but not overwhelming by any means. you probably won't have enough gods, though)
Okuninushi: 6.5 (versatile but difficult to do consistently. one turn delay is useful but not outstanding. wouldn't keep unless experienced already, but fast learners could manage it)

Heroes (not spectacular due to high probability of not having orbs. the mandatory nature of orb change with the Hero gods limits them pretty severely)
Yamato Takeru: 5.5
Andromeda: 5
Perseus: 5
Sun Wukong: 5
Pandora: 6 (better subs available)

Three Kingdoms (super diverse and hard to generalize)
Cao Cao: 6 (solid leader skill, very nice active)
Sun Quan: 7 (leader skill is alright, slightly worse than Valkyrie to me, but the active skill more than compensates. delay and burst damage together is too good to pass up. incredibly powerful with a Blue Valkyrie)
Liu Bei: 4.5 (nothing outstanding)
Da Qiao & Xiao Qiao: 9 (insanely powerful for investment. like Horus but better in virtually every way, relatively easy to use as well)
Lu Bu: 6 (solid leader skill as well, but less valuable active considering you cannot stack them you can't use Baddie)

GodFest Exclusive (known for impressive awoken skills, arguably the best in the game and great stats. note that you will not be able to use them for quite awhile due to team cost constraints)
Archangel Metatron: 5 (slightly more powerful than Rosekyrie, but a lot more restricted in taking hits. also takes a ridiculous amount of XP investment to get stats on par)
Dark Angel Metatron: 7.5 (extremely powerful, but completely REM dependent. awaken skills and skill boosts grant a ton of power with minimal stalling)
Red Odin: 4 (the same restrictions as Blue Odin. deals absurd damage with his insane ATK and active skill, and also has a farmable heartbreaker for its color)
Green Odin: 6 (you'll never die, but you'll be grinding for an eternity. solid for Hera and Rainbow Keeper and other normals, especially with strong skill which allows for more reasonable clear times, but gets destroyed by the multihit technicals later on)
Blue Odin: 4 (decently viable in a mono-blue team, but a God team will not be practical for new players for a very long time. nothing extraordinary given the many higher damage multipliers)
Red Sonia: 8 (red devils are pretty rare, so you'll be stuck with Hellfire Pyro Demons for a good bit)
Green Sonia: 6.5 (perfect for dragon teams, but dragon teams in general are a bit lackluster. Dragon Zombie is great for this, though)
Blue Sonia: 4.5 (no RCV, and physicals in general have low-to-negative RCV, nullifying part of her leader skill essentially, and physicals are quite lackluster anyways)
Loyal Deity, Guan Yu: 5 (underwhelming leader and active skill, but as usual, solid stats and awakenings)
Bearded Deity, Guan Yu: 4.5 (same as red with 1 less awakening)
Sleeping Dragon, Zhuge Liang: 7.5 (somewhat reminiscent of Dark Metatron, but much more newbie friendly as a mono-color team instead. his low HP make the 80% threshold easy to hit but not as easy to maintain. green attackers are scarce, however. heavily REM dependant)
Life Dragon, Zhuge Liang: 6.5 (somewhat reminiscent of pre-buff Light Metatron. a higher multiplier and a pure damage skill make for a lot more burst but a lot less consistency. light and blue are great colors for healers)

MYSTIC KNIGHTS (farmable, so not ideal to have as a first rare egg pull, but passable in 5* state)
Phoenix Knight Homura: 2
Fenrir Knight Kamui: 2
Ancient Dragon Knight: 4
Verche, Knight of the Sky: 2
Chaos Dragon Knight: 2

FRUIT DRAGONS (cool to have, but more useful subs than leaders. like Angels but with far worse stats as well as a relatively long single heart-making orb change CD. you won't have spare Tamadras as a beginner anyways)
Strawberry Dragon: 2
Berry Dragon: 2
Melon Dragon: 2
Lemon Dragon: 2
Grape Dragon: 2

DEMONS
Belial: 2
Amon: 2
Astaroth: 3 (very similar to Lucifer, in a way, but instead reliant on counters for damage instead of The Morning Star. good for Zeus-dios in particular)
Fallen Angel Lucifer: 2
Baal: 3 (easy to use, easily replaced)

BATMAN (on a separate, event only egg machine. no risk of a 3* troll roll)
Catwoman: 1 (complete luxury. relatively weak stats, very inconsistent skill. a friend's Catwoman should suffice for weekend dungeon farming. not a starting roll I would take by any means)
Robin: 3 (incredibly hard to make good use of, since 8x is only achieved with a 10 combo. permanently active skill provides a minor damage buff, if using a balance team. very inconsistent but potentially useful)
Batman+S Glove: 6 (very solid HP, fills a previously unoccupied niche of dark delayer, great awakenings)
Batman+Bat Wing: 6
Batman+Batarang: 6 (low CD skill, has its uses when in a tight spot. great mono-color dark lead, perfect for dark Metatron teams. team cost of 10 makes him one of the best limited-cost dungeon leaders, for Tengu/Draggie/etc.)

SANRIO (on a separate, event only egg machine)
Hello Kitty: 2 (OK leader skill, totally useless for everything else)
Kerokerokeroppi: 2 (same as Hello Kitty)
My Melody: 5.5 (a surprisingly viable leader with a great active for green. also great for newbies because of the 3m XP curve)
Bad Badtz-Maru: 2 (flexible, good low cost lead, but not much else)
Kuromi: 2 (active skill is very niche, not necessary even without Shiva)
Angel Cinnamon: 3 (pretty meh as a leader, once again, but a pretty good healer team sub)
TAMADRApurin: 7 (the best roll of the collab series, IMO, as he's got the most flexible of the 3.5x leader skills with literally no restrictions and a super powerful active skill)
Princess Valkitty: 4 (the only light delay available thus far, but only one turn. very interesting leader skill, but not reliable unless you have a max skilled Gunma)

Ninjas (generally a no-go but by lower standards ninjas are passable)
Mochizuki Chiyome: 2
Hatsume no Tsubone: 2
Sarutobi Sasuke: 2
Fuma Kotaro: 2
Hattori Hanzo: 3

OTHER
Valkyrie: 5 (for 9x healer teams. no trouble finding friends since Rosekyrie seems to have become the flavor of the month/year/whatever. if she comes as Princess Valkyrie, I'd bump her up to a 6)
Lovely Maiden Princess Valkyrie: 4 (color-swapped Valkyries honestly have very little appeal, IMO, since the majority of healers are light main or sub element. come at third evolution, though, so makes it a bit easier to start with. potentially OK as substitute for Siegfried to make up for lack of RCV)
Blazing Maiden Princess Valkyrie: 3 (same story as blue Valkyrie, but even fewer dark healers. Lilith is very much inferior to Siren in terms of a staple, multi-purpose sub. Vampire has OK RCV already, so not very special)

JUNK
Fairy tales
Shaitan, Shaitan the Flame Elemental
Undine, Undine the Water Elemental
Sylph, Sylph the Wind Elemental
Genie, Genie the Light Elemental
Thanatos, Thanatos the Dark Elemental

Elementals
Red Riding Hood
Snow White
Thumbelina
Cinderella
Sleeping Beauty

Toy dragons
Drall, Agdrall, Flare Drall
Shardra, Shardran, Megalodran
Toytops, Toyceratops, Fortoytops
Fairlio, Fairlion, Angelion
Pierdra, Pierdrawn, Drawn Joker

Late bloom dragons (all dual elements included. dragon fruits for new ult evos are a non-factor for early rolls)
Salamander, Ifrit
Sea Serpent, Leviathan
Dragonette, Fafnir
Ivory Dragon, Divinegon
Basilisk, Tiamat

Golems
Flame Golem, Flame Guardian, Flame Mech Warrior Jotunn
Ice Golem, Ice Guardian, Ice Mech Warrior Midgard
Earth Golem, Earth Guardian, Wood Mech Warrior Asgard
Machine Golem, Machine Golem Mk. II, Machine Golem Mk. III
Dark Golem, Dark Golem Mk. II, Dark Golem Mk. III

Healers
Naga, Echidna, Empress of Serpents, Echidna
Mermaid, Siren, Enchantress of the Sea, Siren
Dryad, Mandrake, Mystical Forest Pixie, Alraune
Cupid, Angel, Messenger of God, Archangel
Succubus, Lilith, Witch of the Night, Lilith

Riders
Dino Rider, Dino Rider Drake
Beast Rider, Beast Rider Merlin
Marine Rider, Marine Rider Robin
Dragon Rider, Dragon Rider Arthur
Gryps Rider, Gryps Rider Finn

Heart breakers
Titan, Gigas
Berserk, Siegfried, the Blue Champion
Highlander, Cu Chulainn, the Green Lancer
Vampire, Vampire Lord

Mystic knights
Mystic Flame Knight, Phoenix Knight
Mystic Ice Knight, Fenrir Knight
Mystic Stone Knight, Dragon Knight
Mystic Light Knight, Verche
Mystic Dark Knight, Dark Dragon Knight

Rippers
Meteor Volcano Dragon
Crystal Aurora Dragon
Graviton Earth Dragon
Lightning Holy Dragon
Chaos Devil Dragon

SUMMARY
tl;dr:
If you're willing to grind endlessly for a good starter, aim for Archangel Lucifer, Horus, Isis, Bastet, Kushinada, the Twins (Umisachi & Yamasachi) or any Chinese god.

Just remember that rerolling is completely optional; you can play the game just fine regardless of your initial roll. With that said and done... Good luck!

Mostly Valkyrie
RichardPFG
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2013, 11:03 AM
RE: Starting Rolls
Lemme know if I'm totally wrong. Just wanted to give an updated version of the classic handout for which starter to pick.

Mostly Valkyrie
RichardPFG
05-08-2013, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 11:47 AM by Cel.)
You forgot the elementals:
Shaitan, Undine, Slyph, Genie, Thanatos.

and riders, which I don't know by name.

[US] 362,149,220

Teams: Valkyrie, Ama, Light, Blue; actually mostly just Valk.
Working on: maxing Valk team, so I can almost be as good as Kane/prem.
05-08-2013, 12:17 PM
What a completely impossible, subjective task to take on...

I got Green Odin on my reroll and I don't regret keeping him what-so-ever. I am building a team around him and do use it from time to time. I just fought a boss in a technical dungeon so long, I used Odin's active ability three times... However, based on my play style, I wish I had Isis. I play a Horus/Rainbow team and Isis is by far my best friendly lead. I wish I had Isis because she is the more consistent choice and I personally have more Horus friends. Probably because the forums tell everyone to do Horus/Horus.

With an Isis, over a Horus, I could have more flexibility in my team and it would be more forgiving. I know you ranked her a 9, but I would give her a 10. Ares stats overall can make him dominate dungeons solo, but that's what I did with Odin. Isis let's a person not worry about the color of the monsters, just getting a cohesive team with skills that can somewhat blend.

I also have a much higher opinion of Yomi. Outside a Horus/Ra/Isis team, she probably isn't as valuable, but when you're trying to set up 3x, 4x and 5x, color combo, the extra time is invaluable to overcome terrible RNG. Which does suck, because you're counting on your lead for the multiplier, but your friends can probably back you up.

But, overall, YellowG, I think this guide would benefit from a summary section very much. Maybe we can identify the list of starters that make the beginning easy, and a section where people who think long term might appreciate. List the 6+ stuff. 6-7, do a tiny bit of research, 8-9, strongly consider, and 10, don't pass this up. Usefulness and rarity should be taken into account as much as anything.

I know I would have appreciated this type of information.
05-08-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm biased towards light, but to me the cutoff is at 5* and higher is fine to start with (which is Apollo). I think descriptions are nice, but they do take quite a bit of effort, but I'm glad we at least have a mini-guide here, until details get filled in.

[US] 362,149,220

Teams: Valkyrie, Ama, Light, Blue; actually mostly just Valk.
Working on: maxing Valk team, so I can almost be as good as Kane/prem.
05-08-2013, 12:44 PM
(05-08-2013 12:17 PM)withonor Wrote:  What a completely impossible, subjective task to take on...

Hence the disclaimer. Tongue I'll write a summary.

Mostly Valkyrie
RichardPFG
05-09-2013, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2013 11:16 AM by atog.)
Anubis is pretty cool in tricolor (all these ancient dragon and weekend dungeon) I think he might worth more than 1* lol

Too bad I don't have one, But I have tried pulling 25x with ADK (i would say around 30~50% of the time!)
I love keeping one or two Anubis as friends.
And probably the only ever chance you might get 100x (with double Anubis). The high x is worth a nod.
05-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Gold color is not so good for reading. Change to orange?

Kilgarrah - 336,142,258
LEGION OF DOOM
[Image: 629.png][Image: 576.png][Image: 656.png][Image: 397.png][Image: 190.png][Image: 564.png][Image: 233.png][Image: 140.png][Image: 320.png][Image: 244.png][Image: 391.png][Image: 638.png]
MEAN GREEN FIGHTING MACHINE_________________________GANG OF MISFITS
[Image: 241.png][Image: 571.png][Image: 373.png][Image: 137.png][Image: 494.png][Image: 224.png][Image: 103.png]__[Image: 363.png][Image: 139.png][Image: 634.png][Image: 493.png][Image: 491.png]
05-09-2013, 12:08 PM
RE: [Beginner] Starting Rolls
Well done YellowG!

I moved the thread to where it is supposed to be.

And yes, I agree with Kilgarrah. It's not like we hate light. It kinda hurts in the eye.
05-09-2013, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2013 01:53 PM by francon.)
(05-08-2013 12:17 PM)withonor Wrote:  What a completely impossible, subjective task to take on...

I got Green Odin on my reroll and I don't regret keeping him what-so-ever. I am building a team around him and do use it from time to time. I just fought a boss in a technical dungeon so long, I used Odin's active ability three times... However, based on my play style, I wish I had Isis. I play a Horus/Rainbow team and Isis is by far my best friendly lead. I wish I had Isis because she is the more consistent choice and I personally have more Horus friends. Probably because the forums tell everyone to do Horus/Horus.

With an Isis, over a Horus, I could have more flexibility in my team and it would be more forgiving. I know you ranked her a 9, but I would give her a 10. Ares stats overall can make him dominate dungeons solo, but that's what I did with Odin. Isis let's a person not worry about the color of the monsters, just getting a cohesive team with skills that can somewhat blend.

I also have a much higher opinion of Yomi. Outside a Horus/Ra/Isis team, she probably isn't as valuable, but when you're trying to set up 3x, 4x and 5x, color combo, the extra time is invaluable to overcome terrible RNG. Which does suck, because you're counting on your lead for the multiplier, but your friends can probably back you up.

But, overall, YellowG, I think this guide would benefit from a summary section very much. Maybe we can identify the list of starters that make the beginning easy, and a section where people who think long term might appreciate. List the 6+ stuff. 6-7, do a tiny bit of research, 8-9, strongly consider, and 10, don't pass this up. Usefulness and rarity should be taken into account as much as anything.

I know I would have appreciated this type of information.

I am running Isis myself (first pull) but I am not sure if I would give her a ten. My impression is that I'll probably be needing an Orochi for the late game dungeons - 5 free attacks with 16x multiplier is much better compared to 3 free attacks (naga) with 9x-12x multiplier. And I don't want to do 100 REM pulls just for Orochi.

That said, running normal/technicals with Isis has been a breeze for me so far Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Disclaimer: This is an unofficial site and has no connections with GungHo Online. Use of our website and the content is at your own risk. We assume no responsibility for, and offer no warranties or representations regarding, the accuracy, reliability, completeness or timeliness of any of the content.

Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Puzzle & Dragons Forum | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication