Bastet, your new BFF (friend one today)

Discussion in 'Under Evaluation' started by Haku-ku-ku, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Haku-ku-ku

Haku-ku-ku Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Note: I will no longer be updating the original post of this thread. For the latest guide to Bastet, click here

This thread is devoted primarily to choosing partners as a Bastet lead; it is not a team-building thread per se. Because Bastet's leader skill is so agnostic, your team composition is likely to be driven by your choice of partner -- so first things first.

Why is Bastet a Love Deity of Harmony? Well, it's certainly not her lore - in Egyptian mythology she's a goddess of war and protection. It must be because she harmonizes with so many teams.

BASTET: LOVE FOR ALL

Bastet's leader skill is totally promiscuous: as long as you match at least 4 sets of orbs, you'll get anywhere from a 2.5x (4 matches) to 4x (7 matches) attack multiplier. They can be hearts or colors not on your team. And it's relatively easy to hit 4 matches. While this spike is weaker than, say, Okuninushi's, Robin's, or Anubis's, there's a "safety net" of getting lower multipliers if you miss 7 matches and "only" get, say, 5. (Kushinada has an even lower threshold and even higher ceiling, but her scale is set lower as we'll discuss below).

The key to Bastet's expansive partnering options is that not only is her leader skill color and type agnostic, she also has TWO attributes (green and light) and TWO types (god and healer). That means she can benefit from a wide range of enhancement effects from other leaders or subs.

Finally, I would argue that Bastet is best paired with a non-Bastet lead. The main reason for this is that her active skill, Spread Cats, is only moderately useful and only very rarely needed more than once per dungeon (primarily those with two sets of multiple bosses). Partnering with a very different leader power and skill gives you a lot more flexibility to activate one, both, or neither of the leaders' powers depending on context. For example, as discussed below, if you're stalling with a Chinese God partner, match one set of on-color orbs and then hit three off-color orbs or hearts to pick off mobs.

A WORD ON AWAKENING

Bastet's awakening skills are a mixed bag. Her first, poison resistance, is very situational and will only be useful in a handful of technical dungeons. Her second, time extend, is very synergistic with her leader skill, giving an extra 0.5 seconds of orb-matching. Doesn't sound like much, but if you play this game enough you'll know how painful it is to be just a hair off that final match before your time runs out. Her final, Enhanced Wood Att, is nice but also non-synergistic with her active and leader skills. In this thread we've calculated that unless you really need to AOE a mob, creating two sets of green orbs almost always beats +10% or even +20% on a six-orb row match due to the loss of Bastet's multiplier.

My advice is that if you land a TAMADRA, use it on your most important sub or to store + eggs until you get a second -- unless you absolutely must beat a poison dungeon.

On to Bastet team partners....

"NUMBER" SPIKE TEAMS

Ultimate Bastet is a strong match for other leaders whose ATK multipliers are triggered by number of orb matches. She can provide a "safety net" for those who require a higher number of matches:

Partner : Multiplier for matching 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10
    Code:
    Kushinada  : 1 / 1 / 1.5 / 5.0  / 7.5 / 10.5  / 14 / 16 / 18 / 20
    Bastet     : 1 / 1 / 1.0 / 6.25 / 9.0 / 12.25 / 16 / 16 / 16 / 16
    Okuninushi : 1 / 1 / 1.0 / 2.5  / 3.0 / 14.0  / 16 / 16 / 16 / 16
    Robin      : 1 / 1 / 1.0 / 2.5  / 3.0 / 3.5   / 4  / 16 / 24 / 32
    Anubis     : 1 / 1 / 1.0 / 2.5  / 3.0 / 3.5   / 4  / 4  / 4  / 40 

There's a typical risk-reward calculation here, but when you look at the damage curve you can see that the "smoother" pairings are Kushinada and Bastet, and the "spikier" pairings are Okuninushi, Robin, and Anubis. I'd like to see how these pairings play out in practice.

"COLOR" SPIKE TEAMS

Bastet plays well on many color-requirement spike teams, on which the need for green and white orbs is slightly overrepresented.

Among her fellow Egyptians, Bastet can help fill the "diversity" requirement of Isis and Horus. In fact, Isis-Bastet alone provide the minimum three-color match to hit Isis' 3x ATK multiplier.

Bastet is helpful to all Chinese gods except Byakko. (Like I said, green is overrepresented). She's particularly useful for Suzaku teams, for which she will fulfill the other two color requirements, and Genbu teams. (Her light sub-attribute is unneeded for Seiryu and redundant for Kirin). Bastet can really help with stalling compared with an identical pairing (e.g. Genbu/Genbu). With good orb-matching and some luck avoiding sky matches, you can pinpoint mobs in a swarm by hitting only one color and then 3 off-color or heart matches. Then stall per usual.

Bastet also pairs well with Umisachi&Yamasachi, though her green ATT is redundant.

HEALER TEAMS

This is one of the more obvious teams for Bastet. She's a great match for a Warrior Rose Valkyrie. WRK provides a consistent 3x ATK, while Bastet can bring extra pain when needed to go as high as 12x (a lot higher than the 9x of 2 WRKs) and 36x with a King Shynee boost (compared with 27x on dual-Valks). This flexibility really helps with stalling.

I'm curious whether Bastet's boosted ATK makes sticker girls viable as team leaders with their 2.5x HP boost. You'd get a 2.5 / (2.5-4) / 1 team, where the lack of boost to RCV isn't that big of a deal when you have a whole team of healers. Only Ruka is ideal in this situation as the others convert green or light orbs to hearts (though arguably that could help with stalling).

GOD TEAMS

Yes, Bastet is a god, so her powers complement Athena, Izanagi, BOdin, or Verche. If you're playing a god team, you probably have the skills to make 4+ combos consistently, so as with healer teams you should just be able to count on a minimum 2.5x ATK and the ability to spike higher than your Athena or Iznagi partner -- and not requiring that HP minimum.

Bastet's Green/Light attributes makes her an even better match for god teams comprising Athena, Iznagi, or Verche. Of these, Athena is the best fit, where her light/wood-enhancement skill will directly benefit Bastet's attacks, and Bastet's high RCV makes up somewhat for Athena's goosegg in that department.

Dream Team: Bastet / Iznagi / Athena / LD Venus / Verche / Genbu
    Activating Iznagi, Genbu, and Athena all at once can trigger a 42x attack, times whatever enhancement Athena grants (depending on the number of green/white orbs Genbu creates). Wow.

MONO-GREEN TEAMS

Bastet can provide mono-green teams a needed spike, if paired properly:

Partner : HP / ATK / RCV
    Artemis : 2 / (5-8) / 1
    Freyja or Green Starter : 1 / (5-8) / 2
    Parvati : 1.5 / (3.75-6) / 1.5
    Noel Dragon Vert or Wood Dominion Michael : 2 / (2.5-4) / 2

So Artemis, Freyja, and Flowerdragon Gaia Prachys make good spike partners. If you can't choose between HP or RCV and don't need so hard of a spike, Parvati is your best choice. Noel and Michael are poor partners, giving bottom line of less than the classic 2/4/2.

MONO-LIGHT TEAMS

Bastet's light attribute gives her a possible though not intuitive role on light teams. As her secondary color, so don't expect huge light damage from her, but remember that attribute-boosters affect a matching monster regardless of whether that color is primary or secondary. As with mono-green leaders, she'll get best results from pairing with a 2x ATK leader, e.g. Thor and Sundragon, and to a lesser extent Apollo and his 1.5x ATK.

HAND OF GOD TEAM

This one's purely conjecture so far, but with REM luck and enough TAMADRA, you can create a team that grants 2.5 extra seconds of orb-matching due to the awakening power, Extend Time, which is Bastet's second awakening:

Bastet / Yomi / Anubis / Lilith

Add a Genbu partner, and you've got, um, well I'm not sure yet. Someone give me a Yomi and I'll let you know!

===
    Aussenseiter was kind enough to pull some examples of Bastet teams in action
    ===

Would appreciate your thoughts on what makes Bastet a LOVE DEITY. Feel free to poke holes in my ideas. Let the love-fest begin!

2. Chuppa

Chuppa New Member

RE: Bastet, your new BFF [speculative guide]

Nice write up. Big key here is she is great on her own as a lead and also will be great on a genbu/meimei team. I am really looking forward to the next Egyptian godfest.

3. a little bit of everthing

a little bit of everthing New Member

Just waiting for her to come to the us side. She is my lead every day and the best for the job.

4. Haku-ku-ku

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link

Well she wasn't part of this update so I suspect it will be a while. I'm holding on to her mats but might just use them to ultimate Valkyrie... though I'm so low-level that would explode my team cost.

5. bloodyduster

bloodyduster Member

I don't have an evolved bastet, but the monster book now contains entrys up to number 899 (ultimate bastet is 888). Can anybody add the materials required for the busty to see if the "Fusion" button flashes (but don't do the actual feed).

6. Amon

Amon Member

User ID:

I tried this and unfortunately it's not available yet.

7. Haku-ku-ku

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link

I couldn't help but try this this morning, too. No flashing "Begin fusion." The wait continues...

8. Haku-ku-ku

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link

Four and even ten combos happen to me by accident to make me wonder....

9. tocksin

tocksin New Member

You could throw in the recently deploy Robin. He's similar to Bastet, but starts about where Bastet stops. At 8-combo he does 4x, 9-combo he does 6x, and 10-combo he does 8x. Harder to get the higher combos, but more of a pay-off.

Maybe Robin is for the more experienced combo-maker, but Bastet is for the intro player?

10. Aussenseiter

Aussenseiter Member

I dunno, since stalling with dual bastets winds up being "make 3 or fewer combos". I think it's quite forgiving.

That said, there are many schools of thought that believe unless you're doing Healer Bastet teams, you may be better off running with another spike multiplier to allow even more flexibility over your damage output.

11. Haku-ku-ku

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link

I need to edit the OP as I was adding not mulitplying the damage multipliers (doh).

A Bastet / Anubis or Bastet / Robin (er, is that related to the Baskin-Robbins promo?) would provide rapid-scaling damage. Make 4 combos, get 2.5x DMG. Make 8 combos with Robin and get 16x. Make 10 with Anubis and get 40x. Both pairings provide a safety net... the bonus for Robin is being on-color, if you have a green booster.

12. jojojo

jojojo Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link

I too can't wait for busty evo on Bastet. I run Horus, Ares or Bastet as my leads where Horus and Bastet usually have the same subs. If its a special dungeon with fewer orbs then Bastet is a great lead. I also love the AOE attack skill, makes those boss floors with multiple monsters much faster / safer.

As others have said Bastet is a great learning tool and very forgiving. I play pretty differently between Bastet and Horus. On Bastet I just focus on making as many combos as possible, and sometimes trying to hit the color orbs that will do the most damage to the monster. On Horus its more concentration, planning, trying to get rid of hearts (no heart breakers on my burst damage team) and trying to hit 4 colors. Fun fun fun, waiting for 6.1

13. rod-

rod- I just want to stand on land.

'Meta' refers to a very specific thing that doesn't really apply here. I guess an argument could be made that you're talking about the metagame that the developers are playing against the players, but the concept requires that there be some amount of interaction/evolution and RockPaperScissors-type dynamic, and that is wholly absent from PAD.

14. Aussenseiter

Aussenseiter Member

Heh, I dunno. Luck beats skill, skill beats IAP, IAP beats luck?

15. BCHero

BCHero New Member

User ID:

I want a bastet so bad :( I hope the next Godfest is egyptian.

16. kalorm

kalorm New Member

Meta and META are two totally different things in games. Apparently, you've seen the term used and are using it correctly, but are unaware of its meaning. META in games (primarily those that employ some strategy) refers to most efficient tactic available. This is what you meant contextually by what you said.

Meta as rod refers to it has to do with something operating on itself (terrible definition in my own words). Think of a programming language compiled by a compiler written in the same programming language. In a way, that's meta.

17. Starcow

Starcow New Member

Well, I wanted to talk about Bastet, but way to hijack the thread. I'm not even going to engage. I'll back out from this thread.

18. rod-

rod- I just want to stand on land.

I'm trying to point out that the usage of "META" in games where there is nothing "Meta" about the strategy is inappropriate. Spike teams are OP or efficient or required, but there is nothing Meta about them. The usage of Meta in games is occasionally appropriate, such as the LoL "meta" of ADC+Support+Jungle+sololanes, because it is the Equilibrium state - there is nothing inherent to the game design that makes people choose to play it that way, except that it performs better against all kinds of (PvP) opposition than any other choice. The use of the term meta presumably derives from the classic MTG metagame, where your choice of strategy is highly dependent on everyone else's choice of strategy. Both are competitive games, and the choice of strategy does "operate on itself" after a fashion, due to the competition. The usage of "META" implies that there was initially a metagame, but that it was "solved" by a specific strategy.

Where have you seen 'meta' used with the meaning you suggest?

I apologize for taking over the thread with my nitpicking. It's just a tasty little nit...

Ult Bastet's great, I'm looking forward to her, but honestly, there's not much to say. You can run her pretty much wherever you want to, to good effect. I'm looking forward to trying some mono-duo color, despite what others are saying, just because i have such fond memories of running ADK/CDK teams and getting huge damage from the under-used "back side" of the damage equation. (Damage=Multiplier*ComboCount*OrbsSetsMatched)

19. Hahalollawl

Hahalollawl Member

The "back side" you refer to is a reason I thought a bastet mono green team with orb chancgers could be really good, but the reception to the idea from what I've seen hasn't been great. Can someone explain to me why a mono green bastet team with orb changers (maybe an echidna thrown in) wouldn't be good for spike damage?

20. omni

omni Member

User ID:

Is the default drag time 5-seconds? I counted it a few times myself, but just wanted to see if that's the right value. If so, if both Bastets get their 2nd awakening, that's a very decent 20% increase.