Good PS1 games?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dante45, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Dante45

Dante45 Currently rank 27

User ID:
    Dante45
    What great console it was in its prime. I've played many greats like Ape Escape, Metal Gear Solid, the Final Fantasies, Wild ARMs, and such.

I've been getting their classics off their PSN and I was wondering; what are some good or great lesser known PS1 games that would be fun to play? I'm not picky on genre. I've been playing Silent Hill and Soviet Strike and I really enjoy those games ^-^

2. terumokou

terumokou Pitiable Illegally Dumped Object

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    If you're going RPG, Suikoden.

Virtue likes this.
  3. Rizu

Rizu Prolly Batman or Some Shit Idek

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Monster Rancher was a real favourite of mine, and if it's somehow available, I would highly recommend it.

4. Dante45

User ID:
    Dante45
    I'll have to check if those are in the PSN store. I think Suikoden is but Monster Rancher sounds new to me. I can always order it from Amazon or check out a retro game store here and look for it =D

5. Rizu

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    The game mechanic was a bit strange. Like, in and of itself it was a monster capture-train-fight RPG, but the way you got the monsters was through inserting CDs. So like...unless they changed it somehow to port or you have the physical console....

6. iammeh

iammeh Back to playing on Alt. Account

I played mostly RPGs on ps1. Xenogears, chrono cross, star ocean 2, legend of dragoon, off the top of my head

7. Dante45

User ID:
    Dante45
    Monster Rancher sounds interesting and comes off as being expensive D=

I haven't played any of those RPGs but I've heard of Xenogears being good. I've played the Xenosaga games on PS2 and enjoyed those.

8. terumokou

terumokou Pitiable Illegally Dumped Object

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    You're not gonna like the second disc though.

9. iammeh

iammeh Back to playing on Alt. Account

Does PSN even have discs? And I feel like anyone who won't go through the 2nd disc probably wouldn't even make it there in the first place. People either quit early in the or they'll finish it. I feel if nothing else, you can see pretty quickly whether the game is for you or not.

10. Dante45

User ID:
    Dante45
    PSN has an option on there to start with disc 1, 2, etc. for games like Final Fantasy and Resident Evil 2. You can start scenario A Leon or Claire that way. If you've played RE2 you'll know what I mean.

I'm not real picky with my games as long as they're fun. Especially since I find Duke Nukem Forever fun and RE6 as my second favorite RE game ^-^ Heck, I'm looking forward to playing The Order 1886 soon despite reviews.

11. Rizu

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Nah, it's not. XD I used to go to the local library and rent out as many CDs as was allowed in my search for new monsters and I'm sure there's some kind of walkthrough?

12. Dante45

User ID:
    Dante45
    Well that's smart xD Just rent your monsters instead of buying them. If PSN has the game, that would be interesting.

I just bought Blood Omen Legacy of Kain yesterday. I've only played like 30 minutes of it but so far I'm liking it.

13. AliceIsDead

AliceIsDead naah brah

PADherder:
    link
    Parasite Eve!!!! Great game. Try Symphony of the Night and Legend of Dragoon.

But in all honesty, the one that takes the cake is Clock Tower. Ridiculous game, I used to be really small and bro didn't let me watch because it was really intense horror

Rizu likes this.
  14. Rizu

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Oh man, yeah Parasyte Eve was incredible. The Chrysler Tower owns my bloodiest tears, though. Between that and Star Ocean 3's bonus dungeons, gods, it's a wonder I still hunger for such things.

15. Dante45

User ID:
    Dante45
    I remember Parasite Eve. It's been awhile since I've played through it. That one was crazy. I read the book it came from too and that one was really good too. I remember Aya being supremely sloooooow! xD

16. Daeus

Daeus Live.

User ID:
    Daeus@PF
    PADherder:
    link
    I second the recommendation for The Legend of Dragoon. I found Armored Core to be pretty entertaining as well.

17. Dante45

User ID:
    Dante45
    I've actually been seeing those Armored Core game. There's like 15 of them? I might give them a go. And Legend of Dragoon definitely sounds tempting. I think I've played that one before like yeeeeaaars ago when I was a kid.

18. Metatron017

Metatron017 New Member

Kings Field, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Wild Arms were some of the games that I really enjoyed, back when the PS1 was still considered "New"

19. Dante45

User ID:
    Dante45
    I played through and beat Wild ARMs about a month ago and I really enjoyed that one. The game kept feeling like it was going to end only to throw a curveball at you and be like, "Oh no. You still have another 5 hours to go." Definitely one of the better RPGs I've played.

20. WideEyedRabbit

WideEyedRabbit Well-Known Member

Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears, and Legend of Dragoon as others have said. I was/am a big RPG lover and all three of these were absolute favorites (of course the final fantasies for PS were classics: FF 7, 8, and 9. I think FF9 was especially underrated, freaking loved that game).