Grodin Vs Machine Athena Guide

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and Dungeon Strategies' started by bp1976, Oct 11, 2016.

1. bp1976

bp1976 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I figured I would post this where it belongs. Please advise of any updates, and I will update this as new information becomes available (i.e. substitutes, alternatives, etc.)

Running in solo mode either requires the SB badge or the Alt team comp below. (Coop with DC allows you to share SBs). EDIT: After careful consideration, I feel like the "Alt team comp" below should be the preferred team comp. No reason for an inherit that isnt necessary.

Team Comp:
    Grodin^Jize/Dios/Beorc/ALB/Australis^Freyja/Grodin^Raph.

Alt. Team Comp:
    Grodin^Jize/Dios/Beorc/ALB/Freyja/Grodin^Raph. (Tested and works, needed for solo)

I had all full hypermax, and I am pretty sure you need it to be. Dios needs 3SDR. You can use a long inherit as well on dios, but be careful, if you mess up the two rows on one of the golems, the inherited skill may come up while stalling again. That brings me to point number one. The hardest part of this whole thing is making the two rows to kill the golems. If you miss it, just stall again until your skills are back up. If you are going to use an inherit on Dios as a quasi-SDR, I would suggest something defensive so you can burn it without killing the golem.

FL1 - T1: ALB, row with 8 orb match (only one row) to kill the gadget. T2, Jize on the Gear on the left. Then stall on golem while saving greens till all skills up, Freyja, 2 rows, one with 8 orb match to kill the golem.

FL2 - (Freyja enhance will still be active) Dios, Beorc, swipe

EDIT: For FL3-5, there are two ways to do it since the Grodin active now clears awoken binds since the 10/12 update. I personally still prefer the old way, as using grodin to clear the awoken bind is a little bit faster, but requires you to use ALB around the blinded orbs, which is a pain in the neck. Using Raph clears the blind before using ALB and is much easier, In my opinion. But those who want to stall a little less on FL3 I wanted to show the option:

OPTION A:

FL3 - Jize on gear on left, Raph, swipe. Next turn clear locked orbs (Raph DMG void should still be up), next turn ALB and one row with 8 orbs to kill the gadget. Stall on golem while saving greens till all skills up. Freyja, 2 rows, one with 8 orb match to kill the golem.

FL4 - Take the awoken bind. Dios, Beorc, swipe to kill

FL5 - Jize on gear on left. Raph, swipe. Next turn ping the gadget to clear the last turn of awoken bind (Raph damage void will still be up). Next turn, ALB and 8 orbs to kill the gadget. Stall on Golem until all skills up. You can use ALB here to get your two rows with 8 match to kill the golem once you have all of the skills up.

OPTION B:

FL3 - Jize on gear on left, Raph, swipe. Next turn clear locked orbs (Raph DMG void should still be up), next turn ALB and one row with 8 orbs to kill the gadget. Stall on golem while saving greens till all skills up except the Raphael Inherit on Grodin. Freyja, 2 rows, one with 8 orb match to kill the golem.

FL4 - Grodin skill to clear awoken bind. Dios, Beorc, swipe to kill

FL5 - Jize on gear on left. ALB and 8 orbs (through the blind) to kill the gadget. Stall on Golem until all skills up. You can use ALB here to get your two rows with 8 match to kill the golem once you have all of the skills up.

FL6 - Ping three times (1 combo) until his combo shield counter is on one. Then Raph and swipe. Damage void will eat the mega-hit. Dios, Beorc, and swipe to kill.

FL7 - Ping until all skills are up. (Ping means match 3 orbs). Then Freyja, Raph, ALB, Beorc DO NOT SWIPE (That will give you a full enhanced board with defense void and freyja enhance). Use Jize to kill Zeal.

FL8 - Swipe your fully enhanced board. It will trigger his resolve hit, which you have a damage void for. Your dios will come back up, dios and swipe to kill.

FL9 - Stall until it makes enough green orbs for a good sized attack on a turn where it is blue. A row with 8 orbs and a few combos will knock it past 50%. It will then do another attack, 1 combo one time and its next attack will make the board like this:
    GGGGGG
    BBBBBB
    GGGGGG
    BBBBBB
    GGGGGG

Simple move to make it:
    GGGGGG
    BBBBBB
    GGGBBB
    BBBGGG
    GGGGGG

And it will kill her

FL10. Take the skill delay. Stall till all skills are up. Then do Freyja, Dios, and swipe. IF you get no skyfall, the hits will stay below 4 million per card. IF you hit for below 4 million per card, the next turn, do Raph->ALB->Beorc swipe. IF you get no skyfall on this one, it should knock her below 50%. Raphs damage void will eat her rage hit. Stall for all skills again. Then Go Dios, Beorc, Freyja and hope for no skyfall.

IF you get skyfall on the first board clear, enough that it pushes it past 4 million per card, I suggest recharging all skills and starting over. Just to be safe.

SKYFALL WILL NOT KILL YOU. It just makes the run take longer. Just remember that she has two enrages. One is when she goes below 50% for the first time, one is when she goes below 20% for the second time. The first time she goes below 20%, if you dont kill her, she heals herself back to 50%. (That is why the guy in the video used dios->beorc. If he would have gotten skyfall it doesnt take as long to charge raph). If you dont get a smooth run on Athena, just remember that you have two kill boards. Make sure to use the Raph->ALB one first in case you enrage her. (You will have Raphs damage void to save you). One time I did end up stalling out the full 99 turns of damage absorb on MAthena because I kept getting skyfalls)

If I missed anything, please let me know.

I have Jize on my Grodin if anyone wants to friend me. (325 088 348), bp1976 on discord

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

User ID:
    [US] 375 256 244
    PADherder:
    link
    @bobphillips1976 Thanks. I think I have some time to try this tonight. Tried to friend you, but it's a level 15 user. What PAD server are you on? Seems that's either an amazing troll you did there or maybe you're not on the US server...

3. Carlos R. Marti-Figueroa

Carlos R. Marti-Figueroa Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Very cool. Can you say how many runs you have done and what has been your success rate? Also how long on average do these runs take?

4. bp1976

bp1976 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Sure thing @Carlos R. Marti-Figueroa I have run it 6 times now, three with each build. 100% success rate, first runs took about 40 minutes, once you get used to it my last one took about 25-30. (Of course nothing can help if you get skyfall on Athena and keep on healing her back up)

5. bp1976

bp1976 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    @grinder I am most definitely on the NA server. I just sent you a friend request, I hope you will accept me :D

grinder likes this.
  6. FoxtrotFool

FoxtrotFool Well-Known Member

Very nice. Does this work on coop? Is Dios coop bonus push the damage too high? Do I need two freyja boost? Or is 1 sufficient? Are plus eggs needed?

I can do one with the original team, and the second team with Dios ALB(or Mech dragon for enhance) Michael Avalon Drake. Would that work? I died in room 6 because bursts in 4 by accident.

7. bp1976

bp1976 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I dont know if this would work in co-op. It would take a whole new theorycrafting, and would take forever due to all of the stalling. Also, MAthena has a 150% gravity that might work out to more than Grodins Autoheal due to the larger HP Pool.

The two teams above are not two sides of a co-op, just two different alternatives.

8. tina

tina pedro aguiar - snobiety

is ALB necessary for this build or can he be swapped for a double orb changer

9. bp1976

bp1976 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I havent tested any replacements for ALB. Feel free to give it a shot if you want. It would need to change heart to green, have 2 green rows, and 2 SBs. And I would assume at least similar stats.

10. grinder

User ID:
    [US] 375 256 244
    PADherder:
    link
    Thanks...must have been me doing something dumb on my side then.....

I gave this a try last night with an under-plussed team. Where I failed was on the FL8. I didn't do enough damage to get him below 15% and trigger the rage hit. I did on the second turn, though, when I didn't do enough damage...

I only have 2 +297 cards on the team, though, so not surprising. Does probably mean a nearly fully plussed team might be need to be assured of winning.

11. bp1976

bp1976 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Yes, from what I understand, FL8 is the one that requires the most damage. My team is all 297, I have run it 10 times now and havent died yet.

12. Seriouscat

Seriouscat Serious Business

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    @grinder if you need either grodin up let me know. With the awakening buff it a bit faster now.

You should also have the SDR on the JIZE grodin. I actually use the finger badge to make it easier. You can lb to kill gadget on floor one, then stall for jize to kill the gear. As long as the monster don't line up on same turn u can survive.

grinder likes this.
  13. FoxtrotFool

FoxtrotFool Well-Known Member

What awakening buff?

I tried to run it in coop, and ended being disconnected in room 7, and I had no way of going past room 8 when I didn't get a skydrop. I was far enough and didn't have enough green orbs to kill.

Speed isn't really too big of an issue when the teams are reasonably safe. Myr isn't significantly faster because all the orb planning and stalling in golem for skills.

14. grinder

User ID:
    [US] 375 256 244
    PADherder:
    link
    Thanks, @Seriouscat I'm going to see what plusses I can scrape together and give it a go tonight again. I'll msg you in game...

15. bp1976

bp1976 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    No need for sb badge or sdr if you use the team with Freyja, you have enough sb for jize skill on grodin to be up on turn 2.

16. bp1976

bp1976 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    This is a solo build. Co-op would need a different guide.

17. bp1976

bp1976 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I am going to run tonight when I get home and will adjust the guide to reflect the awoken skill bind removal buff that Grodin got in this most recent update. It will save a few minutes due to less stalling on the third golem.

18. bp1976

bp1976 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Guide Edited to show the option of using Godin Awoken bind removal.

19. grinder

User ID:
    [US] 375 256 244
    PADherder:
    link
    I ran this again tonight and it's flawless. I made 1 mistake and missed a match on floor 9. I ate the stone and called it a day. This is absolutely a 0-stone process. Slow depending on how the golems go, but easy.

20. Seriouscat

Seriouscat Serious Business

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    yea the only annoying thing is if u over run dmg shield on athena, but that can be mitagated somewhat with combination of actives.

Credit where it's due: This is the earliest video I've seen with the build, shortly after the grodin buff in JP.