[JP-ONLY]Users playing with root

Discussion in 'Q&A' started by Nintenji, May 25, 2013.

1. Nintenji

Nintenji New Member

If you are playing the japanese version with root, are you using a stock rom or stock kernel?

Still trying to find a way to play. Temporarly unrooting does not work for me. I am using a tmobile s3 with a custom rom..

2. slope

slope Well-Known Member

RE: Users playing with root

Rooted Nexus 7, stock ROM. Can actually run rooted programs concurrently with the game, as long as I launch the rooted programs first before disabling root and then launching the game. (Actually, if you're doing tutorial runs, you can just remount /system rw and you don't really need root after that to delete the data48.bin.)

My setup is N7 running stock 4.2 (cutting edge build usually) + using TWRP custom recovery, and SuperSU as my root app. (flashed from recovery)

AFAICT, here's what the JP game checks for:
    -- Superuser.apk file (do a "find . -n Superuser.apk" from adb shell) in /system/app
    -- the su file

Temporarily disabling root takes care of the latter, but not the first... which is what actually bites most of us. The easiest way to deal with this is to simply rename the apk file to SuperSU.apk or something similar. The app still seems to work just fine (the OS probably builds the app index from the APKs it sees in the FS) even if the apk file is named differently.

I should write a guide at some point, but this post should hopefully suffice for now.

3. jo.avalyn

jo.avalyn New Member

it's possible with stock rom/kernel... but i have tested with aokp rom/franco kernel and it doesnt work.. there is something that pad is detecting other than superuser/busybox.. wish i knew what it was so i could disable it.

4. slope

slope Well-Known Member

When I have time, I'll whip out CyanogenMod on one of my extra Android devices lying around and see if I can get the JP game to run on it.

avalyn - One thing you might want to verify is that the game getting the right device type. I noticed that when you login, the device type is sent as a part of the CGI params --

i.e.
    Code:
    GET /api.php?action=login&t=1&v=5.20&u=[redacted]&dev=nakasi&osv=4.2.2&key=[redacted] HTTP/1.1
    I suspect that if you have the right device name but the osv is off, the game could bail on you as well.

5. jo.avalyn

jo.avalyn New Member

I would like to try using either CM/PA but it is so troublesome to do a nandroid backup/flash/test... but for me I had to effectively disable both SU and Busybox. Is there any known way to hide/temp restrict custom rom/kernels?

slope - With regards to the right device type, I'm not that advanced a tweaker yet haha, what do I do to ensure that it is detecting the right one?

6. slope

slope Well-Known Member

I actually don't know how the game determines the OS version and device type, but I suspect it's a fairly standard API call in the Android SDK -- whatever you see under your System info is probably what gets used by the game.

The device type should stay the same, as even custom ROMs are built for particular devices. But the OS Version is where things can get messed up, cause for example CM10 is obviously version 10, while Android JellyBean is still 4.2. If these are in fact getting checked, then you're probably outta luck unless you figure out a way to modify the OS version - or at least trick your apps into thinking that they're a different OS version.

7. Fandelix

Fandelix New Member

I can't seem to find any superuser .apks, and temp unrooting doesn't work for my Galaxy S3. Woe is me.

8. slope

slope Well-Known Member

Are you running into the crash/wipe on startup issue?

9. Fandelix

Fandelix New Member

When I try playing the game, it gives me a black screen before returning home. I don't know how to get it to work; I've tried SuperSU, Superuser, and Voodoo's temp unroots, but none of them do the trick.

10. Dubby

Dubby Dubulubu ♥

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link

I do, and until now i didn't know why it force-closes on startup. Thank god i finally found out! :D

Korean one works just fine, only JP crashes.
    A tutorial at some point would be nice on how to avoid this happening, if its not too much trouble :D

11. jo.avalyn

jo.avalyn New Member

on stock rom/kernel it should be no problem... just disable superuser and change the file names of su/busybox... if youre flashing a custom rom/kernel you have to make it secure by repacking the boot.img

12. Dubby

Dubby Dubulubu ♥

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link

Well there goes... im a noob. I would know how to rename systemfiles and how to disable SU, but im on a non-stock rom and kernel.. so yeah xD

13. Elysias

Elysias New Member

I'm running into the same problems and tried all of the apps for temp unrooting that you listed. I also have done searches for 'super' so I could rename anything that seemed like it should be changed. The game boots me out almost instantly. I'm using a stock rom as well.

14. jo.avalyn

jo.avalyn New Member

on a stock rom/kernel, all you need to do is to use a file manager and access sys/app and change the name of your supersu app. (eg. superuser.apk > com.superuser.apk)

then go to sys/bin & sys/xbin (depending on where you installed busybox) and change the name of the su binary (eg. su > com.su)

you should be able to enter from then on by just using the temp unrooting app (Voodoo/root enabler) and disabling it whenever you need it to be rooted..

note: if you are not careful and you open the app without disabling root beforehand your app data will be refreshed, so make sure to back it up with helium/TiBa before you attempt this

15. Nayr

Nayr New Member

If you are running a custom rom, chances are you have debugging enabled by default (this is the case with cyanogenmod at least). The three things pad checks for are:
    Superuser.apk
    su binary in /bin/ or /xbin/
    ro.debuggable 1 in default.prop

The first two are easily solved, as mentioned already in this thread (if you're using supersu you don't need voodoo, just uncheck enable superuser, and rename the apk).

The problem is the third one. Here you have 2 options:
    1) Edit the default.prop to have ro.debuggable 0 in your boot.img, repack and reflash it.
    2) Set the property to 0 after each reboot (reloads default from boot.img every time device is rebooted).

Unfortunately, a normal setprop command change this value as it is read only. You will need to download something called setpropex and place it in your bin folder, after which after rebooting you can simply run:
    su
    setpropex ro.debuggable 0

In terminal emulator, then disable root and app will launch fine :)

I don't have the link to setpropex right now, but you should be able to find it quite easily, if not just reply and I'll dig up the site :)

Hope this helps someone!

16. Fandelix

Fandelix New Member

Sorry, but I can't seem to find setpropex, searches for it mostly come up with threads like this one and a Japanese forum echoing what you said about the ro.debuggable property. Would you kindly link to where you found setpropex?

17. Nayr

Nayr New Member

You can get it here: link.

The file you want is the 13.6kB one at the bottom. Place it in /system/xbin/ and fix the permissions to make it readable/executable (chmod 755, or you can do it in ES file explorer, just go properties -> click change button by permissions, and check all the read boxes, write for user only, and all the execute boxes).

After that you're ready to go :) Hope it works for you!

18. slope

slope Well-Known Member

I've scoured the web looking for this list of things that PAD checks for - and had just given up hope too thinking that PAD was somehow doing a kernel check that was in no way "fakeable".

Just tried this on my Razr M (which runs CarbonROM), and it works perfectly. Thanks so much!

19. Elysias

Elysias New Member

Hey Nayr,

I sent you a PM but not sure if you received it. Long story short - I found the setpropex before and did the steps you wrote as well as the typical ones mentioned with the APK renaming and temp unroot using SuperSU, etc.

For whatever reason, the game still almost instantly boots me out. Do you or anyone know if there are other settings that might need to be changed other than ro.debuggable? I don't know what else to do at this point. Not sure why I'm having so much trouble. Glad others are getting it to work.

Thanks!

20. slope

slope Well-Known Member

If you're running stock (by stock, you mean a non-custom ROM, right?), you shouldn't need the setpropex hack.

Do me a favor and show me the output of running the following from adb shell --

Code:
    su
    cd /
    find . -name *.apk | grep -i super