[JP-ONLY]Users playing with root

Discussion in 'Q&A' started by Nintenji, May 25, 2013.

1. Sasori95

Sasori95 Member

Nevermind, it's just a summary of what I already wrote.

I'll add the CM12 & CM12.1 instructions later.

2. Sasori95

Sasori95 Member

For CM12 & CM12.1

1. Make sure you have the latest SuperSU enabled (2.46 as of today)
    2. Download the attached files
    3. Go to recovery and flash setpropex.zip and patch-pie-5.X.zip (5.0 for CM12 and 5.1 for CM12.1)
    4. Install "Script Manager - SManager" from "devwom" in the Play Store and grant it the root access
    5. Launch "P&D - CM12.sh" with the Script Manager app and don't forget to launch it with "Su" ticked at the top (between "Fav" & "Boot"). If everything went well, a text should be displayed.
    6. Launch the game and it should work
    7. If you want to enable the root access again: Launch SuperSU. it should then ask to update the binaries. Accept, it will then suggest to reboot the phone but it's not necessary

Just do 5. to be able to play the game and do 7. to enable SuperSU afterward.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please do 7 if you want to reboot the phone otherwise you will lose the root access and may enter a bootloop. Just resintall SuperSU in the recovery if that happens.

01/02/16 Edit : Files deleted. Please download the latest in the post #188.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  3. Jonah

Jonah New Member

I tried this but it didn't work for me: Oneplus running CM12s. I flashed the zip, ran the script successfully but JP still force quits on me. When I start supersu, it doesn't ask me to update binaries, and superuser is still enabled. I tried doing the same thing, then disabling superuser, still didn't work.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  4. DSveno

DSveno New Member

Whelp. After trying everything and it still doesn't work. I guess it's time to do a factory reset and see how it goes. Is the current way of playing JP PAD only on CM12?

5. Sasori95

Sasori95 Member

Hi Jonah, unfortunately I'm not familiar with CM12S so I don't know exactly what causes the problem. CM12S is a stock rom so you shouldn't do those steps I think. Here's what you should do in this previous post of mine.

6. Sasori95

Sasori95 Member

No I successfully played the JP version on every rom (KK, LP, CM11, CM12, CM12.1, etc..)

What is the rom you want to use ?

7. DSveno

DSveno New Member

Managed to make it work on CM12, and I think I'm fine for now. The problems actually come from the way CM12 act, as some of the feature is still buggy or doesn't work on my phone, but it's unrelated to P&D, so thank anyway.

8. Sasori95

Sasori95 Member

I've found a fix for the bootloop after rebooting the phone without restoring SuperSU, it should work in :
    • CM12
    • CM12.1
    • Stock Lollipop 5.X (SKIP Step. 3.-4.)
    Please tell if it works for you, especially in stock Lollipop as I couldn't test thoroughly.

Here the complete instructions :
    1. Make sure you have the latest SuperSU enabled (2.52 as of today)
    2. Download the attached files
    3. Go to recovery and flash setpropex.zip
    4. Go to recovery and flash patch-pie-5.X.zip (5.0 for CM12 and 5.1 for CM12.1)
    5. Install "Script Manager - SManager" from "devwom" in the Play Store and grant it the root access
    6. Launch "P&D - (Your Rom Version).sh" with the Script Manager app and don't forget to launch it with "Su" ticked at the top (between "Fav" & "Boot"). If everything went well, a text should be displayed. You can install a shortcut with its widget to be able to launch the script faster :). If you encounter "error: only position independent executables (PIE) are supported." - Please see my Explanations below.
    7. Launch the game and it should work
    8. If you want to enable the root access again: Launch SuperSU. it should then ask to update the binaries (accept but don't reboot). Go to Settings->Enable Superuser.
    After rebooting : Make sure SuperSU is enabled and fully functionning. Just do step 6. to be able to play the game and do step 8. to enable SuperSU afterward.
    After installing new nightlies : Step 3.-4., 6.-8.

Notice : Even if you don't do step 8. before rebooting, the phone should just boot fine. It will then suggest to update the SU binaries to regain root access, please do it before launching the script again.

Explanations on step 3. & 4. and why it doesn't always work :

JP PAD does the classical root check but also some read only properties checks, here they are :

ro.secure 1
    ro.debuggable 0
    ro.build.type user

Stock roms should have those already set so you have nothing to do, however custom roms (CM, PA, etc.) change those properties.

Only one application can change these properties and it's setpropex. It's made for KitKat roms and below but doesn't work on Lollipop because of the famous PIE security check. We have 2 solutions then:

1. Update setpropex to incorporate PIE check - I don't think it should be hard for developpers but I've no clue on how to do it
    2. Patch the PIE check on your rom - See this thread on XDA
    I use the second method but the patch doesn't work on all the devices/roms, I advise you to dig the XDA thread and find your patch there if the one I attached doesn't work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    ryosukechang733 likes this.
  9. Sasori95

Sasori95 Member

Hi tevvie,

Is it possible to have the first post in this thread to make a consolidated guide ? My instructions are a little bit scattered :p.

10. tevvie

tevvie Lives in the arena Staff Member

User ID:
    336 338 295
    sure thing. esp if its no longer being updated. If you want to make a write up and them pm it to me i can place that into the opening post to make it easier for other people.

11. kgptzac

kgptzac New Member

Hi. I'm trying to figure out how to run another game from the ungodly gungho: Summons Board. I've read the entire thread and found that I only need to rename su and deamonsu in ./system/apps/ to get the game to work. Obviously it could be a lot worse but I suppose ideally a one-click solution would be rename executables before running game and restore them afterwards. Somehow it takes SuperSU a long time to restore the two executables than simply rename them back, so I'm thinking a simple script (or rather, a pair of them) would do the trick.

12. Verun

Verun New Member

User ID:
    Verun
    Hi. I can't seem to get cm12.1 working with japanese pad. After I run "P&D - CM12.sh" script in smanager, and open up パズドラ, it gives me a "Unforunately, パズドラ has stopped." message. I think it is due to "system/bin/app_process32" getting deleted. When I get rid of that part of the script and run the script again, I don't get that message anymore, but the app just crashes. (similar to how it crashes when root is still installed. Is there anyway around this right now? I've gone back to using the hk/tw pad app because of this. Thanks for the help.

13. Shaynicide

Shaynicide New Member

Hello, I'm having the same problem as Verun in the post above mine. It used to work fine, then suddenly after one of the nightlies, even after doing all the required steps, I get "Unforunately, パズドラ has stopped." It worked on earlier cm12.1 nightlies, but then after that it stopped. Does anybody know what's wrong or have a fix for this?

14. xiaopuyo

xiaopuyo New Member

User ID:
    xiaopuyo
    Thanks alot Sasori, now i can play JPPAD easily with abit of setup.

* On Stock Lollipop with my Asus Zenfone 2 btw :D

15. Cynics

Cynics New Member

Any Update on getting PAD JP to work on a rooted stock 5.1.1?

i have followed and successfully got the steps in place but still pad closes.

16. Xanza

Xanza New Member

Anyone got tips on how to do this on marshmallow? I'm unable to find a pie patch and setpropex for marshmallow

17. Sasori95

Sasori95 Member

Regarding Marshmallow/CM13, we just need a working SuperSU (will come in the next few days) and there will be a way to make it work. I will try to make a tuto then.

For the people who aren't getting it to work on KitKat/LL/CM11/CM12/CM12.1 (like Verun & Shaynicide), could you please contact me in PM ?

I think I found an easier method (kinda) but I need to test it before.

EDIT: If you have Stock Marshmallow and want root, install SuperSU v2.65 and hide root with the built-in option.

For CM13, I successfully bypassed it (I can launch Puzzdra Challenge which has the same anti-root mechanism) but PAD always crashes. It's not because it detects root but because it's incompatible (PAD NA/HK also crashed and they don't have any anti-root mechanism). It may crash because of my CM13 build (Moto G 4G - peregrine), can somebody tell me if PAD NA/HK work on their CM13 ?

I also need to test my new bypassing method with those that had problems with the old one, can you contact me if that is the case ?

EDIT 2: Some CM13 builds make PAD crash, I've finally found a fix :). You can flash one of those 2 attached linker files in the recovery. PAD NA/HK will now launch correctly.

For PAD JP, you have to do those steps to make it work :

IMPORTANT NOTICE: It will not permanently disable root, you will have the ability to reactivate it whenever you want with the built-in option in SuperSU :)

1) Edit your boot.img-ramdisk/default.prop with those lines (easy with Android Image Kitchen from osm0sis) :
    ro.secure=1 (always 1 in CM)
    ro.debuggable=0 (always 1 in CM)

Then flash the new boot.img with Flashify (boot file) or TWRP (choose Install-->"Images.." instead of "Zips..") at the bottom right-->"Boot" instead of "Recovery"-->Flash

2) Delete those files (in TWRP-->Mount "System"-->File manager) OR flash UnrootCM.zip in the recovery (easier)
    /system/bin/su
    /system/xbin/su

3) Flash SuperSU v2.65 in recovery, flash 1 of the 2 attached linker files (if you didn't do it before)-->Reboot
    IMPORTANT NOTE FROM CHAINFIRE: "If TWRP tells you SuperSU is not installed, and asks you to install it, do not do it, you will break things!"

4) Delete the following folder /su/xbin_bind with a Root Browser (can't do in in TWRP - Use "X-plore File Manager") OR directly flash this modded SuperSU 2.65 instead of the previous one in the step 3 (easier)

IMPORTANT: Why this step ? The new systemless SuperSU binds a "su" file in /system/xbin but it's not actually there, it's in /su/xbin_bind. That's why you can find a "su" in /system/xbin when you already deleted it in that folder.

5) Reboot (important)-->launch SuperSU-->Deactivate SuperSU with the built-in option-->Play PAD JP

If it doesn't work :
    • Check with a root browser (use "X-plore File Manager") and SuperSU activated that :
    There is no "/system/bin/su" file
    There is no "/system/xbin/su" file
    There is no "/su/xbin_bind" folder
    • Open /default.prop and check that :
    ro.secure=1
    ro.debuggable=0
    • You flashed 1 of the 2 linker files in the recovery
    Don't forget to go to SuperSU and -->check-->uncheck it. Sometimes you have to do that to correctly deactivate it.

You will have to do all those steps if you flash a new ROM/build.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  18. koikopi2637

koikopi2637 New Member

Heya, I tried use this ROM for my Nexus 6 and followed the instructions given. http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/development/rom-chroma-01-11-2015-t3000003 I made sure the props were set right now. The build of 6.0.1 it uses is MMB29T while the linker you posted is for MMB29M. Do you think the problem is just that I need a linker just for that version?

EDIT: got it working thanks to http://masu0012.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2015-12-08

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  19. Amit

Amit New Member

User ID:
    amitisgr8
    Buddy, this game is really driving me in sane, after doing all the steps still this game does not work on my huawei device running Android 5.1 version. Any help would be appreciated, I am using a non rooted phone,checked all the flags mentioned by you in the post.

20. Max Tung

Max Tung New Member

In ASUS Padfone S with CM12.1, it works perfectly. However the custom ROM is not fully support the padfone station. So i had tried another phone with CM12 in Samsung Galaxy Nexus, it did not work at all and caused bootloop.