Making Volsung Bearable With Mathena

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and Dungeon Strategies' started by ViewtifulGene, Dec 24, 2016.

1. ViewtifulGene

ViewtifulGene MEN... WEARING PINK?!

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Volsung is one of the worst rogues for MP farming, but sometimes running this dungeon is a necessary evil for latent farming. The dungeon no-sells Bei and Cao, thanks to its skill locks, combo guards, 99% gravity followed by another pre-empt, and Resolve. Effectively, the dungeon has more floors than you can swipe through.

I have found that it is easier to run a non-swipe team than to force Bei or Cao to work this stinkhole, and Athena is hands-down the best option I have worked with. The color advantage and double Dragon Killers make killing everything a joke, and the healing/shield requirements are more lenient than with MZeus. There is minimal chance of flubbing compared to Bamboo (FACK THAT WASN'T AN ENHANCED ORB) or Bastet (FACK I CAN HIT 9 COMBOS ON PENGDRAS, BUT I ONLY GOT 6 ON SUPERS). And it's faster and more brainless than tank options like Parv or Myr.

Read on if you crave latents and the latest rotation has forced you to run Volsung.

Sample team:

Requirements:
    -A heal of at least 11,500 that will be up in time for F5 and accessible to P1. Unawoken Liu Bei inherit on a sub, or a heal button on Athena will work.
    -Balboa on P2 side.
    -Poison or delay for P1, preferably with 2+ SB.
    -Skyfall buffs for each side- Preferably Australis, but Artemis will work.
    -Bicolor board for whoever will kill Volsung phase 1. This will be P2 if you One-Shit every floor.

Recommended bodies are any of the usual MAthena subs.

Walkthrough:
    F1- P1- 3 greens or an off-color mass attack. Try to save green.
    F2- P2- 3 greens or off-color mass attack. Try to save green.
    F3- P1- green prong and combos.
    F4- P2- 3 green or off-color mass attack.
    F5- P1- Heal active and kill with green prong plus 5 combos, or 2 green prongs. Use haste if needed to get your heal up and use Australis here if you got it. When I do this, my friend lead's heal is 2 turns away so I use my RagDrag and Athena for haste.
    F6- P2- Balboa and green prong plus combos.
    F7- P1- 1 combo, 3 green.
    F8- P2- 5 off-color orbs, save green, use skyfall buff if available
    F9- P1- Green prong and one other green combo
    F10- P2- Bicolor and match sets of 3
    F11- P1- Poison and kill with any remaining actives. A delay is also fine, but it takes one extra turn to end it.

If you get an invade, a green prong plus one other green match should one-shot it regardless of team. If you have Another Crusader, just one prong is sufficient.

Happy hunting. Grab those resist latents.

HappyNoms likes this.
  2. HappyNoms

HappyNoms Ogliarchial collectivist

PADherder:
    link
    But I don't have MAthena skilled up because farming her descend was itself annoying. The struggle...

Laughs.

I'm first world lazy running Sakuya and ALB into this nonsense because whatevs, and as they work ok solo. I feel like revo Ra x225 with convenient lasers probably works but am too lazy to study. Did you try some other modest battle shenanigans before arriving at this speed/thought efficiency gem?

Tangentially...stoning some extra preDra guerilla for random latent drops until enough fire accumulates? (PreDra MP not worth the handful of stones? So fast to button though. Idk.)

This writeup is nice.
    All my upvotes for developing and putting it out as a high quality option.

I should just burn a dozen wood pii on MAthena, but I keep hoarding them thinking I might somehow maybe need them for no skill drops PEM / heroine / whatevers. Farming arena isn't hard, but it takes a while.

So many first world struggles.

3. ViewtifulGene

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Athena can farm her own skill ups in A1 and I say it's worth it. Easier than her own dungeon by a long shot. Also, if your Athena isn't skilled enough for an inherit in this, you can use her just for a haste to push along a heal button.

Lakshmi was my most reliable option in solo. Impossible to fuck up on the Supers and everything else is pretty forgiving if you come up short. But Volsung phase 1 is a pain in the ass. I did a few with Kushi or Acetet, but the Red Super is too strict with damage requirements.

Presumably, Parv would work the same way as Lak. But she has to work harder on that goddamn red Super, in exchange for unneeded damage assistance on Hera.

Can't vouch for Ra when I don't have him. Also, he would need to combo his balls off to heal between Kagu and Kitty. I can't be bothered to do that. Color match is annoying.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  4. Gleam

Gleam Member

User ID:
    302 855 225
    PADherder:
    link
    Volsung is one of the rogue darlings I love to come up, I highly recommend Revo Neptune team, mine has Orochi, Famiel (used on predras), Andro (if I gotta do damage/heal immed), and my Courage Machine from my RNep cheese team thats forming (habitually used on 11 'just in case' as I've hit him to red and he's killed me before, I think when I wasn't running Orochi to trivialize last floor). I cooped M+ last night with someone whose RNep had only 1 awakening and perhaps 2 297s in the team across the board, and (with a couple of instances of 'oops, we won't let that happen again') creamed it until my box filled up.

5. ViewtifulGene

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I would try that if I had him. I like that idea because you have built-in answers to Predras and Resolve, and you don't need to row or cross phase 1.

6. ambiguous57

ambiguous57 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    How good are the latent invade rates anyways? I just assumed they were bad and stuck to the Predra Infestation. But right now all I need are Skill Delay and Dark latents and, last time I ran Predra Infestation a ton, I came out with zero SDRs and 2 darks.