What to do about this recent ranking

Discussion in 'Q&A' started by Orange Crush, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Grokitach

Grokitach [Grok]@jvc is my IG name

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    got 123k with Rodin / A.Ares / Sanada / Mamiya / Urd / Yamamoto, I'm at 2.2% right now, but I don't see how to improve my run, except getting higher combos faster (4.7 combo, 179.3sec and 52.7mil damage without penalty).

I could get something like 125k but it will not be sufficient for the crown I guess.

2. jlarimore

jlarimore Well-Known Member

There is a formula to decide if you should laser or poison: Basically, if your goal is 50+ combos, you should use true damage. If it is less, you should use poison. (in an ideal case) This is because if you are relying on combo average for most of your score, a 0-1 turn match poison round increasingly hurts your average as you try to push it higher. So, the break even point is somewhere right around 50 combos.

3. jlarimore

I think Yamamoto is a great idea. But, you are going to need more speed. SIs like Laila are going to allow really speedy row kills. I think the goal is to finish with over 200s remaining if you are going for a speed build.

4. StarDragon12

StarDragon12 Quan

User ID:
    NA 367,185,264
    PADherder:
    link
    50 combos? Hopefully you're exaggerating. its like 8 when you start seeing noticeable effects, and thats without time taken into account.

5. jlarimore

I had heard that 50 number as a general number second hand. So, I just did the math for this specific dungeon and it is exactly 42 combos for this challenge. (hitting a 6-7 average) That is the exact point where the penalty for using true damage equals the penalty for taking a 0 combo poison round. So, if you are going A.Anubis, feel free to shoot dem lasers. If you are going speed, you probably want to Rodin.

StarDragon12 likes this.
  6. philsov

philsov has sufficient privileges to post here

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'm going for option C, personally.

Armor shatter + orb refresh + PRAY FOR RNG SKYFALL

No insta-kill penalty like lazer, no loss of combo count like poison sweeping, and no time wasted getting a good combo. The skyfall combo is actually added towards the next turn's combo count. :D

NOPE. Counts as a skill only kill. Dammit.

Obviously not 100% reliable, but a good tournament score always needs a bit of attempts.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Murdurus and StarDragon12 like this.
  7. StarDragon12

StarDragon12 Quan

User ID:
    NA 367,185,264
    PADherder:
    link
    What was your math?? Dropping your combo average by JUST 1 already is equal to a skill defeat.

Edit: Oh you meant total avg. Ofc, that makes sense. I thought you were exaggerating with an absurd 50 combo avg.

8. Iluvatar

Iluvatar No Longer IAP'ing

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Think I am going to toss in the towel at 4.3%, seems you need a R/G Leilan or something with a double killer to reasonably hit the max damage. Tried to shoe horn a Rei Sirus in but to get color coverage I have kick an orb changer out for B/G Isis and the team is much more susceptible to orb troll in not enough red/light.
    [​IMG]
    On this run I was 6k points short on the max damage so ya...

9. StarDragon12

StarDragon12 Quan

User ID:
    NA 367,185,264
    PADherder:
    link
    Not needed, just need god killer on boss.

10. Iluvatar

Iluvatar No Longer IAP'ing

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Well that score I did two rows of each color and a prong of light. Team was Ilm/Balboa/Minvera/Leilan/Baal/Minvera. I have to figure out a way to get reasonable orb changers and color coverage. God killers that are on color are Antares, Chester, Lightning, Roots, Fenrir Viz and Rei Sirius.. Hmm also have Lucy but only his sub would get damage.
    Antes, Roots give color coverage and some method to fix a board.
    Rei gives no color coverage, but way to fix no light.
    Everything else is dead active weight or in lightning's case no help in color coverage.
    Hmm could go Antares, Rodin, A DQXQ, Minvera for subs, DQ's active is dead weight but at least adds rows and main color.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  11. jlarimore

I like the out-of-the-box thinking! What exactly happens if instead of armor breakage, the predra were poisoned when an orb refresh occurred? Does the poison tick after an orb refresh combo?

12. StarDragon12

StarDragon12 Quan

User ID:
    NA 367,185,264
    PADherder:
    link
    Going off my own intuition that poison hits right before an enemy attacks ( turn counter decreases ), I'd have to say no, but if its after you attack, then maybe! Maybe someone could test it with a lilith + goblin skill ^_^

13. philsov

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Just tested it in EC.

Orb refresh combos don't result in poison ticks, unfortunately. But those without Balboa can opt to pii droid dragon instead! Or frantically brew up an ishtar...

14. Argly902

Argly902 DALTON

PADherder:
    link
    Ugh, barely under 20%, what's the strategy even

Team: Aizen/Hanzo/Claire/Lilith/Hades

Floor one I make dark TPA and combo hard
    Floor 2 I make a dark TPA and combo hard
    Floor 3 I make a dark cross and combo hard
    Floor 4 same as floor 3
    Floor 5 is poison and 0 combo
    Floor 6 is use whatever dark orbs I have handy and combo
    Floor 7 is nuke

Am I not supposed to waste all that time solving teh board? I feel if I spend less time on crosses then I save time

15. Orange Crush

Orange Crush PAD's Nostradamus

User ID:
    Well I broke 10% first try with Ilm/Ilm; I don't know why I didn't think of that compared to Minerva/Ilm. The extra board change saves me from RNG and lets me get dem combos up even if my time is worse for it.

Anyway now all I need is a 9:1 ratio of people doing worse than me to stay in the clear.

16. StarDragon12

StarDragon12 Quan

User ID:
    NA 367,185,264
    PADherder:
    link
    i dont have ilm :(, sorry for misleading you

17. Orange Crush

User ID:
    I decided on Ilm/Ilm after getting frustrated that I used up my Ilm and Minerva friends and swapping out the lead just matched me with a bunch of Minerva when leading with Minerva and Ilm with Ilm. At first I was like oooooh greaaaaat new system you got there buddy! Match with strangers who have your side of a split lead pairing, then a lightbulb went off and I realized what I needed to do.

Too bad it hasn't helped me get any Cloud friends though. Still think it'd be my fastest safest team for everything up to and including Arena 1

18. philsov

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    update: Turns out armor shatter + orb refresh counts as a skill only kill. It does up your combo average slightly, but the extra time to pop those actives (and possibly get dealt a worse board) makes it about the same as just firing a laser. qq.

StarDragon12 likes this.
  19. StarDragon12

StarDragon12 Quan

User ID:
    NA 367,185,264
    PADherder:
    link
    Sad :(

20. Orange Crush

User ID:
    It actually lists Orb Refresh kills as skill only kills in the rules on the Facebook announcements for Rankings