White Cat Project

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by slope, Aug 11, 2014.

1. 0never

0never Retired!

I've also pulled 8 straight empty 10+1's before.

Jewel farming in this game is super tedious, and after farming that many jewels only to get nothing at all, it killed most of the motivation I had for farming. It sort of also made me realize that this game is like a gacha simulator, you just farm and roll gacha for new stuff and repeat, chasing power creep forever. You hit "end game" in like 2 weeks and after that there's basically no progression other than leveling up the buildings in your town, it's mostly just the farm-->gacha loop.

And so I quitted. That was around 10 months ago.

The best part of the game was coop-ing with people on the chat (back when pad chat was 70% shironeko discussions), it was legitimately very fun. But even that couldn't make up for the terrible gacha and fast powercreep.

Shironeko players I remember from the chat - Raika, Seym, slope, kmm, rabu, buzzy, eqlipse, seifer, tsubakura, xcobra, and probably a few more I forgot. How many of you guys are still playing?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Tsubakura likes this.
  2. slope

slope Well-Known Member

I stopped a few months ago, after multiple events in a row where I got basically nothing.

3. Kev13579

Kev13579 Member

rip pretty much everybody if not everybody on your list

4. Borja

Borja Member

How much time did you all play before leaving?
    I have been playing for 1 year.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  5. slope

slope Well-Known Member

I'm probably the longest-time player (having started the thread and all), and enjoyed being ahead of the curve for quite some time. I also light-medium IAPed for awhile (after quitting PAD), so was able to enjoy some of the better moments when the game peaked (which IMO was around the time Charlotte, Ogre, and Tsukimi came around).

But the rate at which they power-creeped soon made both my /played and IAP irrelevant. Shinkis were a great idea for bringing older characters back up to par, but the fact that each character only gets 1 Shinki kind of defeated that purpose too.

6. Kev13579

Kev13579 Member

but didn't some characters get a shinki readjustment? I'm pretty sure like, Mira's batch and some more got a second shinki or something similar

7. ZombhezBrains

ZombhezBrains "What do you mean zombies don't have brains?"

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    The last batch I truly played for was Soul of Knights (Have to get all the charls) (Started probably within the first few months of the game coming out)
    took a break for a bit because my phone had a few problems, and kinda just quit while on break since I kinda lost interest

8. kumomo

kumomo Noob Staff Member

yup and that is because the strength of the shinki has been powercreeped again.

9. Borja

Borja Member

But it is s good idea. Since the new characters are powercreeped, shinki characters must be powercreeped too. If shinki characters are worse than new characters, why would you use them?

10. kumomo

kumomo Noob Staff Member

the question is why must the game keep powercreeping

Tsubakura and Borja like this.
  11. Kev13579

Kev13579 Member

because if there was no powercreep there's no reason to roll and if there's no reason to roll no money will be made

Borja likes this.
  12. kumomo

kumomo Noob Staff Member

And what is the end result now?

It's quite obvious that shironeko lost quite a lot of player base

13. Raika

Raika ( ͡◉ ͜> ͡◉)

User ID:
    ( ͡◉ ͜> ͡◉)
    PADherder:
    link
    They didn't need to powercreep. All they needed to do was make the characters incrementally stronger and give them appealing designs/unique personalities. Even though they might implement just small, incremental buffs over time, people will still roll because of the waifu factor. And also because coop is very, very fun especially with friends, and showing off waifus to friends is also fun in a way. :v

But nope, they wanted the monies. They got greedier and at the same time stingier; unsurprisingly this resulted in them turning off and losing their strong player base, retaining only whales who make dumb YouTube videos of their whaling. Oh did I forget to mention how because of the powercreep, newer content became obnoxiously hard and impossible to clear without specific characters? Then they come up with newer stronger characters and the cycle continues; 'tis but a downward spiral at this point.

RIP Shironeko you were fun while you lasted.

*am still mad that I have no detective Fran :<*

*also this is a heartfelt rant with no facts to backup my points whatsoever so take it with a grain of salt :<*

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    slope and kumomo like this.
  14. Borja

Borja Member

I think the game will still be funny as long as they keep adding new content. They powercreep doesn't bother me.

15. slope

slope Well-Known Member

The problem is that the new content they've added hasn't been that interesting in quite some time. It feels a lot like PAD's downward spiral in that way -- create new overpowered characters, then make content which directly counters them, then add more overpowered characters that deals with the new hard content, and so on with the cycle. The one-dimensionality of this approach towards generating new content and progression is incredibly uninteresting to me, and it's being done at the cost of trivializing all the characters and content that came before.

This is *not* how you make a healthy, balanced, or fun game. The ability to conquer new content (and the trivializing of older content) is supposed to be a reward for the time and effort that you put into the game. As the player, you are supposed to be more or less in control of your own timeline/progression. That's what makes MMOs successful in the first place. That's what made PAD's early years rewarding.

The fatal mistake that Gungho made very early on, that Colopol also made later on, was removing this control from the players, and instead, they force "progression" onto players at an insanely high rate -- all towards the purpose of staying on the Top Grossing charts. All this effectively does is burn out the players who are trying to keep up with the curve, and completely turn off those who fall behind.

Pay-to-win isn't the issue here -- we've long since culturally accepted the necessary dependency of F2P on pay-to-win. The problem is that these games have long since changed from pay-to-win to "pay to play", and when you go that route, you start realizing that these games are basically monthly-fee games with exorbitant (and non-deterministic) price tags.

16. slope

slope Well-Known Member

And the saddest part in all this is that both GungHo and Colopl fail to recognize the most important piece of their business/gaming model: while it's true that they're difficult games to quit because of what you've invested into the game, they're even more difficult games to return to once you pull yourself out of the game for even just a couple of weeks. And getting a bad streak in Shironeko effectively forces this kind of a break on its players... so once you put the two together, it becomes pretty obvious how the game is going to eventually bleed itself to death.

---
    Having said all this, I'm really glad that a bunch of you are still really enjoying the game. Please don't let us old farts ruin it for you with all of our whining. ;)

Raika likes this.
  17. Kev13579

Kev13579 Member

btl2 shinkis are just around the corner too :c
    You should shinki your Mea when the time comes :p

18. kumomo

kumomo Noob Staff Member

[​IMG]

the stock price for colopl also explains much the situation

the sharp drop is Jul 28

19. nataku

nataku Well-Known Member

PADherder:
    link
    The rates are such hot garbage sometimes. I was already annoyed with no Fran or Tsukimi from detective batch but consoled myself that I did manage to get 6/10 of the set.

Then proceed to get only two new characters and three star runes in the last 3000 jewels spent between memorial set and the BTL3 gacha set. The only saving grace is that one of the new characters was the memorial Archer Toi. Otherwise, it was a month's worth of jewels for almost nothing :/

20. Kev13579

Kev13579 Member

So apparently, shinki Tetra is #1 right now... Dangit Tetra...