[WIP Team Building] Dark Knight, Cecil

Discussion in 'Team Guides' started by Flaycrow, May 23, 2016.

1. xHaishou

xHaishou Member

Most light orb changers convert darks, so I don't really have many viable light subs.

2. alphafirestar

alphafirestar Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'm super excited about the D/D Cecil buff - extra 30% dark resist will make Arena farming such a breeze, and most Cecil teams already had 25-30% from latents to begin with. I haven't used him much lately (despite keeping him permanently in slot 1) mostly because I've just been doing a ton of co-op farming with ALB, but he's still my go-to whenever I solo (so if we're BFs please don't switch him! I need at least one D/D user to stick around! ;) )

Conveniently, I have two, so I could actually make L/D Cecil as well, although currently it's inherited on the first, and the Apocalypse that used to be on him is on my Myr team now...so if I were to make L/D I'd need to find a new inherit. What a hard life :p

RageSedai likes this.
  3. xHaishou

xHaishou Member

I'm probably leaving mine as D/D, although I might need a new best friend Cecil now that some people are switching over to L/D >.<

I don't find the extra 3-4k HP that worth. It doesn't really make him any more "tanky" it only means you can survive hits over 31k, in which case I would prefer a higher damage multiplier

4. Vahneo

Vahneo Well-Known Member

PADherder:
    link
    I already quote you on News, now I quote again here :p
    Hmm, I think the trouble is Sub for LD. You need both Light and Dark, that mean you kick out popular Row orb changer like DQ, Wukong and Apollo. The lead also has no Row himself, pretty much you need 2 Apoc and 1-2 Tifa to shine.
    Also, by that logic, and like Saras/Krishna, you can use DD Row if you want, much better Sub pool.
    In short, I think both LD and DD is on pair, but LD has very limited row Sub.

5. RageSedai

RageSedai Can never decide on a team...

PADherder:
    link
    Sure it does... Now you can survive 1-2 hits instead of just one. It's not just the biggest hits, it's all of them. A boss that hits for 17k, as DD Cecil you can soak one of those hits and then you need to use orbs changers to kill if no hearts. LD Cecil, shrug those hits off and soak another. Gives you time to set up your board.

As to yours @xHaishou and yours @Vahneo point about orb changers, yes you can't use some changers but there's still Fuma, Bride Satsuki, Baal, NY Hanzo, Pollux, Ana Valk, Shedar, Leonis, Defoud, Shining Dragon Knight, and more I'm sure.

You don't need to have 10+ rows to do a ton of damage. 6 rows, plus OEA with a 56.25x multiplier is quite strong for most trash floors. Your big burst, Cecil + Heartbreak will do a TON of damage. Think of Myr without having to work around a heart cross.

6. RageSedai

PADherder:
    link
    Are we BF? I haven't even had my Cecil in a slot. Currently it's stuck on my Fuma for Myr.

7. RageSedai

PADherder:
    link
    Alright, so folks were asking about a row build for DD Cecil.

DD Cecil does play similar to Saras for matching 3 + combos. I want to compare and see if I can build a similar team to a Saras build.

Saras does start with 4 rows and 2 OEA so that is something to keep in mind. I am not a Saras savant so I'm going to just try to list out a decent team that I can build similar to. It will not be the same build I'm sure.

Typical Saras team:
    http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/sim...8..2748.99.1.99.99.99.8..3069.99.1.99.99.99.7
    -13 rows, 6OEA, 4 skyfall buffs, double orb changers and a board change. 27k HP. Team can run beefier subs if you so choose to get over 30k HP easily. Change a Hermes to BL version, sub in Bonia boom 30k HP

DD Cecil team using my box:
    http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/sim...7..2662.99.1.99.99.99.8..2768.99.1.99.99.99.5
    - 9 rows, 7 OEA, one skyfall buff, board change and burst. Zuoh probably not best option but is there for beefy HP.

I can see the benefit of DD Cecil using a team like this. I'd probably build it a bit different but it might be worth pursuing. You still have the restriction of lower HP but at least it's not completely negligent. DD Cecil also does have the better RCV of course. I'd like to build it a bit beefier but that'd be up to my box.

8. alphafirestar

alphafirestar Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    You're Muffinkins, right?
    I BFed the-friend-formerly-known-as Flaycrow, but I don't think we are BFs.

Row build is an interesting idea. I like that TPAs are easier to combo with, and currently Satsuki is my biggest damage dealer, plus Cecil is getting a second TPA, which will be really nice with his already-high attack stat. On the other hand, rows make Akechi, ALuci, APanda, and Zuoh much more exciting than they used to be.

Thinking about it, one of the nicest things about his broad LS is not being type-limited or forced into rows/TPAs. Dark has tons of subs with killer awakenings, so you could really mix and match for whatever the situation is. Now I'm imagining a team with D/R Haku, ALuci, and Castor on the same team to murder gods, or D/R Haku, Zuoh, and Halloween Chiyome for Dragons... @_@

Edit: Totally forgot, but there's also Hanzo and Dill Sirius as fairly common double-killer sticks as well :O

RageSedai likes this.
  9. RageSedai

PADherder:
    link
    Yup, I'm Muffinkins.

I'm definitely torn between which version to go.

For me it's really about this thought.

When I want to kill something, I can do it with both LD or DD depending on my team. Needing dark isn't a huge issue considering you can plan for it with Light Cecil and you carry 3 changers to make darks for a kill.

Now for me, it's going to come to ability to last in a dungeon. DD Cecil will have 28-30k HP. Either team will have that whether you go TPA or row.
    Many of the newer descends and dungeons have bosses that hit for 25-35k on multiple floors. Or back to backs 18-24k hits. Yes, DD cecil can stall there if needed but you're going to be a bit more worried about thresholds or having to burn an active.

LD Cecil will have 34-36k HP. with only a light TPA, and one dark combo you can hit for around 800M-1MM damage. You can survive those back to back hits much easier with a bigger HP pool to soak multiple hits and then heal up.

10. RageSedai

PADherder:
    link
    So a practical application of this for me.

I ran Vishnu through Arena last night, same multi as LD Cecil. I ran a team with 36k HP and barely any orb changers (only Verdandi inherited). The high HP let me be able to stall out for a long time as I needed. Even with only 5-6 RCV on my team I was able to heal back up. If I'd had 28-30k HP I would've been screwed or in much more danger throughout.

Once I can do enough damage, I want to be able to survive. LD Cecil gives that to you on any non-dark enemy. Clearly DD Cecil will be the stronger option in a dark heavy dungeon.

11. Vahneo

Vahneo Well-Known Member

PADherder:
    link
    I have a solution for you, just roll another Cecil. Problem solved! Easy, right?
    BTW, Light Cecil does has 2 TPA.

RageSedai likes this.
  12. RageSedai

PADherder:
    link
    Easy enough... My random new JP alt rolled one in it's first 6 rolls. Along with Sephiroth, Terra, Vantotto and Ysh'Tola...

I was referring to just making on TPA on the board and along with the dark combo. I've already seen some A2 clears with LD Cecil videos. Most went the TPA route with Kanna on the team. As I don't have Kanna that's out for me.

13. Near

Near Active Member

If you guys are short of D/D Cecils, mine has always been up since I rolled him in slot 1, he's Hyper with 3 Dark resists and 2 SDR. Still haven't inherited anything onto him though.

14. Vahneo

Vahneo Well-Known Member

PADherder:
    link
    And your ID is........

15. Near

Near Active Member

Woops, mb. It's 390, 075, 257. I haven't been on the forums for a while, so I thought I had it in my sig.

16. Jph81

Jph81 Well-Known Member

PADherder:
    link
    Is anyone on here going to use Paladin? I have better light subs, but my few Cecil friends have stuck with D/D.

17. RageSedai

PADherder:
    link
    I'm still debating it. I made mine DD to try out an Arena run, I liked it but I don't know that I'm sold. Also I didn't have any LD friends... I'd rather be LD but I don't have Kanna so I felt the team might be a bit weaker. I dunno

18. RageSedai

PADherder:
    link
    I converted mine back LD Cecil. Have 0 friends for it tho.

19. Jph81

Jph81 Well-Known Member

PADherder:
    link
    I switched mine to L/D and found 1 other person that I sent a request to. Mine doesn't have anything inherited on it & it has time extend latents. I sent you a friend request.

RageSedai likes this.
  20. RageSedai

PADherder:
    link
    Accepted it. Mine has dark latents on it. I'm going to try out a team of LD Cecil/Fuma/Apoc/Bride Iza/Bride Satsuki.A Thor for a bit. See how I like it. I want Myr.A Indra on there but then I only have 3 OEA