625 point widget farming is bad game design and should be reworked

Discussion in 'Rants and Accomplishments' started by Tek7, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    625 point - 5 (bronze) * 5 (silver) * 5 (gold) * 5 (rainbow) = 625 - widget farming is really starting to sap my enjoyment of this game.

I tolerated it during the Street Fighter collab because Kage is a fantastic card and a really fun rainbow lead.

I muddled through it for PAD Academy because the Handbook was (and still is) actually a solid equip.

But Hello Kitty? June Bride? And now PAD Island? I feel like we're seeing diminishing returns on the mindless slog that is widget farming.

At least with Street Fighter, there as a fixed team dungeon you could clear for 1 rainbow widget. That made a huge difference, in my opinion.

But the others require you to flush huge amounts of stamina to mindlessly farm the same dungeon over and over again. You can only call that "player engagement" by the loosest of definitions.

"Farming fatigue" is bound to set in sooner or later. And I can't speak for others, but it's hard to imagine that I'm the only one who would rather be spending their stamina on ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME instead of swipe farming with Kaede + Dios army or Scheat x Madoo MGoe army teams.

</rant>

Orange, Murdurus, Ele and 9 others like this.
  2. YamaKyu

YamaKyu Karin Kanzuki was a mistake. And I love it ♥

User ID:
    349-296-255
    Yes.
    Very yes. Can't say anything but yes. It does suck, and it does suck that it's still here after so long. This has never really been super engaging, and the fact that we're still doing this after so long baffles me. I would want to say this has to be a "top" priority for GH's designers to fix, considering how continuous streams of collabs seems to be the new hype thing and I guess it makes money for them. Yet, we're still there. That feels kinda wrong tbh. For FF collab I used rainbow medals to get Locke, and I might do it again, because this farming thingy just doesn't feel right nor fun nor engaging nor anything but a big annoyance.

Or finally give us a button to automatically run dungeons like these in exchange for stam. It's not like we've wanted this feature for years. I wonder what JP thinks of this matter

3. Super Random Box

Super Random Box REM Trolled.

Yea... that sucks. I just bought the items w/ medals because I don't have time nor patience for this kind of bullshit. (or maybe I'm just getting old... dunno)

At first it was sounded nice (hey... free good cards!) and all, but... the hell with it. I am not going to spend/waste my time w/ this thing anymore.

The problem with this system is that you "probably" will get tired of it.

They hsould do something like this (below), instead current version.
    [Rainbow, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Total]
    5 5 4 4 400
    5 5 4 3 300
    5 4 4 3 240
    5 4 3 3 180
    5 4 3 2 120

YamaKyu likes this.
  4. Sunsphere

Sunsphere Member

I don't mind it when there's a fun 3p dungeon to run, I don't play 3p much so it's a nice change of pace and the drops are better.

5. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'm overall glad to have it because I enjoy the interesting and unique equips that we're guaranteed to be able to obtain, but you're right that the actual method of obtaining them is flawed. I wish there was maybe some extra difficulty level of the collab dungeon that had a fixed team using cards from the collab but gave better drops than the other difficulties. Something like the SF quests except worth farming, rather than a one-time rainbow drop.

Murdurus, Tek7 and YamaKyu like this.
  6. Gr33nDr4g0n

Gr33nDr4g0n Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Yeah it's not a great system but if you think about it is it really any worse than some of the other grind mechanics this game has/had? Like trying to skillup stuff before there were skill dungeons/py's/tans. I mean even the tan system was too much work for me and I still just py'd everything until they introduced the skillup dungeons lol.

But yeah Kage was the only one of these I've seen where it felt like the grind might actually be worth it. The effort/reward ratio on the others has been far from appealing.

Tux likes this.
  7. yamo

yamo Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, this one is kind of needed for the latest JP ranking dungeon

8. YamaKyu

YamaKyu Karin Kanzuki was a mistake. And I love it ♥

User ID:
    349-296-255
    True it sucked really hard too xD But at least these are fixed for good :')

9. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

User ID:
    NA 339,899,271
    PADherder:
    link
    I don't play a mindless skill-and-swipe team. I really try to make combos when I farm these medals, so I get more engagement than some players. I play a water team; need to match combos to erase orbs to get more water orbs. Medal dungeons, like PAD Academy and Shaman King, now provide most of my actual gameplay. I feel that metal/jewel infestations are just grinding, and dungeons like PAD Academy are actual gameplay.

This farming causes fatigue. I don't always farm enough to collect the prizes. This list is in order by date, from Nightmare Street in January 2019.
    • Nightmare Street: got Satuski.
    • Sword Art Online: got Eugeo.
    • GungHo Collab: got Reeche.
    • Fate/stay night: got Sakura Matou. So far, each card cost about 225 bronze medals. (I'm not sure of the exact number.) Each event had 2 cards, but I farmed enough medals for 1 card.
    • Street Fighter V AE: got Kage; cost 625 bronze; took longer than usual to farm.
    • Shinrabansho: got both Geim and Soleil.
    • Dragon Forest: got Chuan for 625.
    • Yu Yu Hakusho: spent 2 magic stones for stamina; got Super Snow Globe Dragon, Diamond Dragon Fruit.
    • Monster Hunter: missed Female Hunter Ciel. (This collab dropped evo mats instead of medals.)
    • PAD Academy: missed Student Handbook; got Ancient Tri-God Mask and cheaper prizes.
    • Shaman King: missed Matamune or Silva; got some latents.
    • Sanrio: got Hello Kitty's Ribbon for 625, plus 12 py for 300.
    • June Bride: missed Wedding Dress; got Diamond Dragon Fruit and some latents.
    • Final Fantasy: got Locke for 625, plus 19 py for 475.
    All of the big prizes (Satsuki, Eugeo, Reeche, Sakura Matou, Kage, Geim, Soleil, Chuan, Hello Kitty's Ribbon, Locke) rest unused in my box. I might use PAD Island's Swimming Ring if I get it.

I stay out of most new descended dungeons. I failed to clear Libertas Mythical, and I cleared Reiwa Mythical only once. I feel that descended dungeons don't reward me if my team dies; and dungeons like PAD Academy are where most gameplay happens.

10. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Wow. That's dedication. I don't think I could stay engaged running the dungeon enough times to get the goodies. I just run a Scheat x Madoo + MGoe/mgoe army swipe team for content like this while I'm doing other things (like typing this post!) with natural stamina and not play any "real" content for those days. I took a break to clear Eris (finally got the clear on Annihilation with a Lighting x Yuna team in co-op with my alt), but I'm still past the halfway point for the tama tube.

11. Noc

Noc Active Member

User ID:
    Noc
    PADherder:
    link
    I like a challenge and can't stand the endless farming, but swipe farming PaD Island hasn't been half as bad as clearing Eris. For some reason, skyfall was being exceptionally stingy and my VDPs kept falling just a little bit short. I managed to waste the past 2.5 days worth of stamina watching Eris gleefully stomp my teams to death, while within an inch or so of an empty hp bar. I would be happy to never see Eris's leader change mechanic again. On the bright side, I've never rolled Minerva so I couldn't rage sell her.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  12. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Finished the 625 point widget farming session for the tamadra tube...

...3 days before the next 625 point widget farming session for the mats to evolve No. 6 to Artura form.

/sigh

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    iddybat likes this.
  13. Cheeseghost

Cheeseghost Lazyyyyy

User ID:
    I usually farm for 3 and trade 2 rainbow for the other 2...

14. hoyun

hoyun Well-Known Member

Yeah it took so long, took a full day of stamina on coop to get one rainbow, that means I need to farm 5 days to get the stupid reward

15. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Some days go more quickly than others. Gold drops (25 points toward the 625 point total), though very rare, help speed the process up considerably. I did find that many of my runs included multiple silver drops (5 points each toward the 625 point total).

I guess I should mention it now since it occurred to me that I didn't mention it before: I farm widgets in co-op with my alt. Here are my teams:

Main: Scheat / MGoe / MGoe / mgoe / mgoe

Alt: Madoo / MGoe / MGoe / mgoe / Whaledor ! whatever

I have skill delay protection (whether through pseudo SDR like an Azazel assist or actual SDR latents) on all my MGoes and mgoes.

I list the team to highlight that each floor of any 7-or-less-floor dungeon is just an active and a swipe. For dungeons with floors with combo shields or resolve, I just throw a utility assist on Whaledor or Scheat and blaze on through.

So widget farming is about as efficient as it can be without sinking significant resources into a top-tier button team (like whatever supplanted the old Demon Hunter button teams) and I can do it while doing other things (like going through e-mails or writing forum posts).

NEVERTHELESS, I maintain that widget farming needs to be reworked. Having fixed quests with the final quest rewarding a rainbow medal (like we had with the Street Fighter collab) for EVERY SINGLE WIDGET FARMING SESSION would be a great start. Not the end, by any means. But a great start.

16. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    And I think it's going to hit hard on Monday when DBDC returns and players start farming the evo mats for Artura.

I plan to do it, but I'm not happy about it.

And I don't want to use rainbow medals because I'm still eyeing BAthena (though I'm not sure why, really; I already have Scheat and Madoo for leads and both my accounts are well-stacked with blue and red TPA subs) or Dark RaDra (which makes A LOT more sense because he'd be a fantastic Lightning sub).

I've more or less resigned myself to not actually playing the game for another week because I'll be swipe farming another batch of rainbow widgets while doing other things.

/shrug

17. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I average roughly about a little less than one rainbow a day so it usually takes me 6-7 days to obtain the trade-in.

I really don't like this system either because I quite literally log in and button farm things for an hour or so every day and that'll be it. I don't even really play the game because it eats up all my stamina for a whole week. And sometimes, we get overlapping events like next week so I pretty much have to keep up with the farming. Good thing that I have no interest in ANOTHER Chuan to help collect dust in my box so I'll likely skip out on farming next week.

Like can they stop making this so damn tedious? I don't mind spending the stamina, whatever. I just don't want to have to button for a whole hour every day just to get stuff. Feels like I'm doing Thieves' Den all over again save for having to find a partner to do it with and the reward isn't nearly as worthwhile.

18. Orange

Orange Red+Yellow = Orange

Can’t describe how the feeling of playing the same thing so many time . Want to support this thread.