Ainvar's blog--Goodbye.

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by ainvar, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Awardius

Awardius Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Seems like you are quitting for all the right reasons. Been fun following your blog! Take care!

Awardius

David@PF and ainvar like this.
  2. David@PF

David@PF Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Available Upon Request
    I truly appreciate all the blog posts you've done and all the teams you've outlined on this blog. It has been a true pleasure to read alongside others and embark on the same journey as you.

I am happy to see that you are emphasizing your family over PAD, but it's tough for me to see you go.

Thanks for your awesome blog, great attitude, and best of luck to your family in life, wherever it takes you.

ainvar likes this.
  3. MagicMatcher

MagicMatcher Sacred Life Cow <3

PADherder:
    link
    Aww, another person quitting :(

Sad to hear you're leaving, but like others have said, you seem to be making the right decision for yourself and your family. It was awesome reading about your adventures and thoughts, your blog is probably one of my favorites. You've definitely left behind inspiration and a legacy!

Take care and enjoy life :D

Gr33nDr4g0n, ainvar and David@PF like this.
  4. ainvar

ainvar Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I lied. One more post. Demonius is my swan song.

I couldn't stay away (which was kind of exactly my point... so addicted.)

But at least I went out clearing an Annihilation dungeon first try without theorycrafting anything. This was my Colosseum team.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone!

Tek7, Gr33nDr4g0n, Dunamos and 5 others like this.
  5. foxwaffles

foxwaffles Weak to pretty boys

PADherder:
    link
    @RageSedai I'll have time to farm with you soon now that I finally have my laptop back and account moved back to its home phone :D If you need to scratch that farming itch lemme know (only inconvenient bit is that I'm currently at an internship so on Wednesdays Thursdays and Fridays I have an afternoon shift)

RageSedai likes this.
  6. win8x

win8x Light Dominion

Farewell and all the best in real life. Thanks for all the posts/discussions. It's not quitting—it's beating the game! :egg5:

foxwaffles, David@PF and ainvar like this.
  7. cjo

cjo Well-Known Member

All the best. @win8x has it right -- it's not quitting, it's beating PAD!

Gr33nDr4g0n, David@PF and ainvar like this.
  8. sgt502

sgt502 ばかぷれーやー

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Godspeed.

David@PF and ainvar like this.
  9. jade

jade the lamp of experience

Cheers! Thanks for the excellent TC. Your REM luck was unreal though.

Kyrdrin, David@PF and ainvar like this.
  10. Nick357

Nick357 Member

Yeah, I agree with everyone above. It looks like you have your priorities straighter than me at least. Thank you for the entertaining blog.

ainvar and David@PF like this.
  11. maherd

maherd Bearded Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Being as good at this game as you have definitely comes at a cost that isn't sustainable. With that in mind, I am glad to see you stepping away.

A month away is enough to break the addiction. You may find you can check back in without fear of being drawn back in. However, I agree it's best not to plan for that to be the case.

Farewell!

ainvar likes this.
  12. ainvar

ainvar Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Dear Readers,

I'm not even going to wait out the full month. I've definitely decided not to return to PAD.

The last couple of weeks have been great, but also highlighted how completely addicted I'd become.

After uninstalling PAD the first thing I did was go to Google Play and find other time wasters. Fortunately, nothing can hold my interest the way PAD did.

Then I started obsessively reading and posting on Facebook and reading political news. Finally, after three days, I put my phone down and started actually interacting with the world.

I started talking with colleagues during rehearsal breaks and re-kindling relationships that I had ignored for two years. I discovered that my three year old is ready to start learning to read. I started reading books I'd bought years ago and never got to. I hit the gym almost every day and have already increased my bench press by 30 pounds and reduced my waist size to the point where I need to wear belts to keep my pants up.

Where did PAD go wrong? I used to play it as a healthy relaxation game during down times. If I could get back to that I would. But somewhere along the way it became a daily commitment. I think the problem is my personality--if I do something I'm going to strive to be the absolute best at it. Also, the co-op and to a lesser extent the guerrilla dungeon system ruined the game for me. By requiring me to schedule PAD into my day and coordinate with others it became stickier, yes, but also ultimately destroyed the main benefit of the mobile platform for me. @RageSedai was a perfect partner for me but even so his flexibility and compatible schedule only delayed the inevitable. My incredible REM luck also gave me a feeling of responsibility--I had to be thankful and use all the great pulls I got as a non-IAP because others couldn't.

In any case, two weeks away have given me great clarity. I'm glad I decided from the beginning to go non-IAP with my account, or this decision would be harder and I'd have more regrets. Thanks to everyone for being a great community. It really was a lot of fun while it lasted.

I feel like I finally grew up (at age 38...) I don't think I'll be installing any games at all anymore--modern mobile games are all designed to be addictive, and I'm not home enough to play PC games.

My favorite perspective is what @MagicMatcher said: it's not quitting, it's beating the game.

Goodbye everyone, and thanks again for everything!
    -Ainvar

13. MagicMatcher

MagicMatcher Sacred Life Cow <3

PADherder:
    link
    Glad to hear you're enjoying life without PAD! Farewell once again.

I don't think I said that though, @win8x did :p

ainvar, David@PF and RageSedai like this.
  14. ainvar

ainvar Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Anyone still read this?

15. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn You can't take the sky from me. Staff Member

User ID:
    I’m pretty sure win8x _did_ beat the game.

ainvar likes this.
  16. Kyrdrin

Kyrdrin Still surviving the non-IAP grind...

Of course!

You're my hero and my life hinges on every word you say! :eek:

17. ainvar

ainvar Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Nice! Good to be validated.
    Still going strong? How much Zaerogoo you run in the last year? Are you rank 1,000 yet?

18. Kyrdrin

Kyrdrin Still surviving the non-IAP grind...

I'm still going. "Strong" is relative. I still use up my stamina, but I can't say they're productive every day.

I'm running Arena these days instead of Zaerog. But only when I feel like it. I'm really just waiting for Machine Hera or other big exp dungeons so I can spam refreshes on those. My main is at 990 and my alt is at 988, so getting close to 1000, but not quite there. I gained about 6 ranks the last time we had Machine Hera for a week, which is around 500M exp.

Anyhow, it'll probably be another year until I get to rank 1000 before I can "beat" this game. o_O

ainvar likes this.
  19. cjo

cjo Well-Known Member

I still check out the forums sporadically. It's been a while!

ainvar likes this.
  20. ainvar

ainvar Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Hey bud! You still playing?