Aljae is underwhelming?

Discussion in 'Q&A' started by Murdurus, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    So I ended up getting Aljae during the recent Godfest but she seemed to be pretty underwhelming. I feel like part of the problem is that her damage isn't particularly high although she provides a significant shield. Unfortunately, I feel like any team is that is struggling to surpass 100M+ damage easily falls behind in today's meta; I even paired Aljae with Yashamaru for an even higher damage multiplier but it was still too low for my liking. Her active is very good but it kind of means little if she can't 1-2 turn kill a boss. Looking at Beleth, for example, I cannot imagine how many turns she would need to kill him.

Have anyone had success with Aljae? I feel like maybe I'm missing something if she is supposed to be one of the stronger leads, at least strong enough for reason for GungHo to make us think she is worthy of being chased after (since she's new and in a Godfest). On another note though, I do love her art, so there's that at least?

2. CloudnineXXX

CloudnineXXX Well-Known Member

PADherder:
    link
    Are you activating 20x and hitting 7c? 100m team damage shouldn't be an issue with quad 7c.

Have you tried her on a 7x6 board? 7x6 feels essential for her because of her fairly strict LS requirements.

3. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Yeah, I was doing all 20x with 7c and getting 21x+ with Yashamaru.

I considered using her on a 7x6 board but the problem is that she doesn't have any kind of significant time extension built into the leaderskill which makes it almost meaningless to have a larger board. Also, on top of that, all 7x6 leads (that I'm aware of) have a much lower multiplier than 20x so that would only make the damage worse. I think maybe C.Uruka may have the highest at 12x?

4. CloudnineXXX

CloudnineXXX Well-Known Member

PADherder:
    link
    Other option is just use her as a sub. She has amazing awakenings and active. Feels better as a sub to be honest.

5. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Aljae definitely feels better as a sub but compared to Dyer (with a 7x6 lead), she doesn't seem nearly as good. I feel like Aljae would be quite good in a 6x5 board though but then I again, I don't feel comfortable playing a rainbow team on a 6x5 board so she would have to go into a combo team like Yashamaru where making 7 combos is sufficient.

6. Argly902

Argly902 DALTON

PADherder:
    link
    I think part of it is that one of her best pairings is Mickey & Friends, which may end up being JP exclusive

I haven't really played her myself, but it seems like pairing with Menoa (the new tiddy machine gfe girl) is the current popular option. Also seen base shinji hirako as a pairing, both of them bring a decent multi and decent bulk to the team, so if you haven't given those a try it may be worth a shot. Nowadays, with damage being augmented by 7c awakenings and VDP so much, low multiplier aren't necessarily indicative of low damage

7. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    So took a Aljae friend and ran Endless Corridor with them and even though the damage is a bit better/consistent, they still struggle to surpass 200M with a green L and 7 combos. Under most circumstances, that's probably fine but I cannot imagine that being sufficient for last bosses of Arenas or more recent Descendeds. She has high defense through her shields which reminds me much of what Myr was but unlike the era of Myr where stalling things out was a viable strategy, now a days, stalling and/or whittling down a boss can easy spell death. This isn't even factoring in that the rather average attack multiplier is well, average, and although Aljae has high personal damage, a lot of other monsters hasn't quite caught up with this new trend of personal damage so the overall damage of the team is rather low in comparison to some other leaders.

Anna from Shaman King looks like a good pairing with Aljae but unfortunately, it doesn't solve the damage problem because it's the same multiplier. Potentially, this combination makes the matching even more convoluted because the question also becomes, do I match red or green Ls? At least with double Aljae's, the answer is match green L's whenever possible to squeeze the most damage out of Aljae.

Maybe at some point, I might get back around to her when I have better sub options but as it stands, I find it hard to justify playing her over more damaging leads/teams.

8. Carlos R. Marti-Figueroa

Carlos R. Marti-Figueroa Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    If you are talking about AA4, you are right. She definitely seems underwhelming and as much as I have tried to make her work with Menoa or Anna, the team is just a little short on something due to not having the solution to every mechanic in the dungeon. However in most other content she is a beast you can better stack damage and all utilities needed fairly easily. In the end though, there is no question that Norza/Tsukuyomi is much more consistent and reliable, and even Dyer/Marik (my personally favorite Dyer pair) or Dyer/VIdeal just feel like better teams, particularly for AA4. I think once we get Lucia from DMC, things will improve for Aljae.

Murdurus likes this.