ATrain's Blog - New Goals

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by ATrain, Dec 9, 2015.

1. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I don't know how long this blog will go on, but I'm going to try and update my experience attempting (and so far completely failing) the Arena. I don't IAP, so there won't be tons of attempts each week, but I like to run it when I don't have time to use all of my stamina on other more important things. The game is about having fun anyway, right?

Anyway, here is my padherder if you want to check it out and suggest better teams:
    padherder.com/user/ATrain/monsters/

For my first attempts, my team was:
    A. Sakuya (Hypermax)
    L. Kali (Hypermax)
    Maeda Keiji (+264)
    L/B Apollo
    UUvo Kushi
    Friend A. Sakuya

Current Statistics (Arena 1):
    Attempts made: Lets go with 10
    Successful attempts: 1
    Farthest made: Clear!

Current Team:
    Same as above, but Maeda Keiji is +297 now.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  2. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Attempts 1-2
    For the first two attempts, I used A. Sakuya team. These attempts didn't really go well at all. I got to floor 4 with the demons and died to them on both attempts. For the first try, I didn't realize they were going to hit so hard, so when I saw just one that was going to hit first turn, I didn't pay much attention and tried to setup the board. Then dead.

I learned my lesson (so I thought). For attempt number 2, I made it to the demons again, and this time I went for the kill. Combo'd as best I could, but I don't think I matched a TPA, and I only got 6 or 7 combos. Needless to say, one of the demons died, but the other (the one with a 1-turn timer) had ~20% left. And game over.

3. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Attempt 3
    I made it to floor 16 with Grisar! It was much farther than I expected to make it. Unfortunately, I was out of board changes or orb refreshes for Grisar and was slowly poisoned to death.

Highlights from this run:
    Floor 4 - Demons
    I was certain to kill them this time. I had an activatable board, but just to be sure, I used Apollo to get plenty of light. Matched 7 combos with 3 light and they were toast.

Floor 8 - Apollo
    This wouldn't normally be scary, except that I went into the floor with about 7k health. Kushi got bound, and there was one heart on the board. I hoped that I wouldn't need a double gravity or shield soon - used Sakuya to clear the bind and Kushi in case I didn't combo him down far enough. Didn't need the Kushi active as it turned out. Skyfalls got the damage up enough to one-shot him.

Floor 13 - Medjedra
    He swapped L.Kali into the leader spot. At first I thought, "Ok, Kali has a good multiplier." But then I realized I don't have any dark on my team. I was able to stall three turns until Sakuya got put back, and luckily had a good board. I did use Kali and Apollo again to be sure I didn't get into rage territory or have to stall 3 more turns.

Floor 15 - Hinokagutsuchi
    Not good. I had quite a bit to go on Kali's cooldown. I started with a bad board, so I couldn't get him down to ~70% to double gravity yet. It took me 3 turns, and a Kushi and Kaeda active to stall until I had a board to do some damage. Got him to ~51% in one shot, so I used Sakuya. The board wasn't good, and I didn't trust myself stalling much longer, so I went straight for the kill. This was probably my main mistake this run in hindsight. I really needed Kali going into Grisar.

Floor 16 - Grisar
    I had no board resets, and I started with just 2 wood orbs. I comboed as hard as I could, but no lucky skyfalls. For the next three turns, I just tried to manage poison and hoped for skyfalls, but no luck. I had one turn left for Kali going into the round that he nuke's me. Bummer.

David@PF likes this.
  4. foxwaffles

foxwaffles Weak to pretty boys

PADherder:
    link
    Good luck with Arena! You can do it! ASakuya is a beast :)

5. mtb911

mtb911 Semi Retired Recovering Addict

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Keep going bud!!. I've also seen arena clears with A. Horus as well. It gives more board flexibility even if you don't have as high of a damage potential.

6. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    What did they use for Kali? I would assume Zera level gravity. My current Horus team uses Kali, Maeda Keiji, Sakuya, and Valk for subs. Might give EEC a go with that team to compare. I don't have a Zera skilled at all, so that team might be a longer term project.

7. mtb911

mtb911 Semi Retired Recovering Addict

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I've seen clears with Zera and with D. Fagan as the Gravity. (A. Hades could work as well.

8. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Attempt 4

My Maeda Keiji is +297 now and one skillup away from being max skilled, so I thought I'd give it another go with Awoken Sakuya.

Floor 2 - D. Izanami so 10 turns with less time to move orbs.
    Floor 3 - Whichever one gives me 10 turns with poison skyfalls. yay!
    Floor 4 - Used Kushi this time to try and save the board reset. I killed a dark demon with light TPA, but the green one bound my fire for 4 turns (Kali and Sakuya), and I didn't have a good board. Double Sakuya to clear the bind, Kali to give a good board, and moving on.

Floor 6 - Tamadras - They bound Maeda Keiji, and Sakuyas weren't up yet, so no board resets. There was enough to activate with one light TPA, and it gave enough damage to kill 2 of the 3. The remaining was the light one that just does 7k damage every two turns, so I took the time to stall and clear the crud from floor 2 and 3.

Floor 10 - Sakuya, ironically. Stalled for a bit to recharge some actives I'd used, then I went for the kill. I had a light TPA and enough to activate. I didn't do great on the comboing and only got 6. Normally I think that's enough, but Arena Sakuya has more hp (maybe?). Anyway, she dropped into nuke range. Game over. :(

On to farming fodder and evolution needs for other teams.

9. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Long time, no post here. I did finally beat Arena 1 with my A. Sakuya team. Yay! I tried it again twice after Arena 2 came out on the day Arena 1 descended. Failed both times. Now I'm working on other, better, more reliable teams ... that may end up being just as big of a failure with my skills.

I have been kind of shocked at how much row teams can burst (My first good leaders before Sakuya were Kali then Horus). I have a Freyr / Raoh team that I can burst like 2.7 million with one row and 20 million with Urd -> Raoh -> Freyr. Meanwhile, with A. Sakuya, I combo and feel like I did a great job and see ~3 million damage. Or I pop Apollo and flood the board, stress on how to get 6+ combos out of it, and then I get 10 million damage ... 20 million if skyfalls raise the combo count. So comparable damage. Sakuya is more thinking, and Freyr/Raoh is much more survivable.

By the way, here is my current Freyr team that I got those numbers with, and only the leaders are plussed.

So at this point, I am trying to figure out how I am going to tackle Arena 2. I want to go with a tankier team, so I have basically four options.

For Freyr, I feel like I don't have the right orb changers to keep hearts on the board consistently. I would want Yamato Tekero or Uriel.

For Antares or Spica, I think I would need one of the marionnettes to have any consistency. I have both of their fruit dragons. I lean towards spica because I recently pulled Australis and I already have Perseus. The drawback is I don't have a good attack enhance active for wood like I do in fire.

Apollo is a different beast. I have Machine Zeus for Kali thanks to a few stones and Awoken Anubis. I have a hypered Kali and Maeda Keiji. I recently pulled Ariel that I'm working on. She will be good for transfering a skill to - I'm thinking New Year's Ama. The main problem is that Apollo and my best light subs areTPA focus, so he can't burst as well as the row teams in those do or die floors. Solution? Roll a Facet when it gets to NA. Odds? My guess would be miniscule.

10. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Farming, farming, farming. Yesterday I worked on collecting Evo mats for Machine Zeus. If I remember correctly, I rounded up about 20 Deepers of Gold. I still need 3 Dub Mythlits for the RGB golems, but I should be able to get those Friday and have my evolved Machine Zeus!

I also found time to stone Tamadra infestation a couple times to get my Australis and Ariel fully awoken. I have some spare Tamadras still for Awoken Apollo (if he ever gets here). I may get impatient and use them for Zeus, though.

For today, its back to farming plus eggs from Hera-Sowilo whenever my stamina bar gets full.

11. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Got my Dub Mythlits now, and I was able to get Machine Zeus evolved and fully awoken. He is also +297 thanks to the 10x descend event. I don't think I'm ever going to bother skilling him up. His job will be Kali and nothing else. Between skill boosts and stalling, I don't see any problem getting it charged in time.

Once Apollo's awoken comes out, I have a +297 tama and shynpy's ready to make this team:

If a dungeon doesn't have binds, I would replace Ama with Maeda Keiji. Ultimately I would like a Facet for that spot.

When skill inheritance gets here, I am planning to stick Meimei's skill on Kali. Ariel would either get a heartmaker or Ama's (most likely Ama for the bind clear). My Apollo might get Ra's skill, and I would try to find an A. Apollo friend with Orochi since I don't have one myself.

12. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    After the 10x Descend event, I have Machine Zeus and Ariel at +297. Now just waiting on Awoken Apollo which (hopefully) won't be too much longer.

I'm more interested today in the announcement of ADQXQ. I have a DQXQ sitting in my box, but haven't done anything with it since I don't have many light row options yet, but with M Zeus now and Baal, DQXQ might be worthwhile. I don't think I would use them as leaders for endgame content because no HP or RCV multiplier. However, ADQXQ, M Zeus, and Baal give 8 rows on an A Apollo team. Ra, Ama, or Kali could take the last spot. I'll have to check the burst, but it may be a better option than the TPA team above.

As for the rest of the 3K series, I have a Sun Quan and Liu Bei that are sitting mostly unused in my box. I use Liu Bei sometimes on Bastet, but I could easily replace him with A. Artemis if they make him rows. Really, I'm just hoping that the awokens make them relevant to my box somehow.

13. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Last weekend's godfest was pretty much all gala for me.
    Day 1:
    Day 2:

Ars Nova was the only dupe, so its already been sold. I am most excited about Pollux out of all my pulls. Arcline will be a good candidate for skill transfer fodder. Typhon is nice - 6* GFE - but I just don't have enough dark in my box to move away from light teams. I think I can play almost every style of team with the light leads I have now (including the upcoming Awoken DQXQ). I have Sakuya for the rainbow team. Apollo and Pollux for the tanky teams, one TPA and one for the 5 enhanced orbs (and row subs). DQXQ gives me a row lead

There is still the light monster coming at some point for the new 300k MP series. I am seriously considering selling Fenrir if it is something I can use even though Fenrir is a GFE and I don't have extra. I just don't like the idea of jammers. Seems like I might not have the best subs if they keep with the typing pattern to match the dragonbounds. That would mean physical, and my only physical options in light are LR Apollo and Fat Chocobo.

RageSedai likes this.
  14. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I had been thinking of using Ariel for the triple TPA. I would use her instead of Pollux until skill inheritance. Then I might inherit one of the fairy tale girls onto her (bind clear and heart making). That would let me put Pollux back in over Ama. Pollux and Ama definitely have the better actives though, so it may come down to how much I can burst when needed with the different setups.

15. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Pollux and New Year's Ama are now hypermax. Just waiting for this week's maintenance and A Apollo will be hypermax too. I'm hoping that Arena 1 will show up soon so I can test the team out. I don't think Arena 2 will be doable until skill inheritance happens.

In other news, it sounds more and more like the new light 300k MP monster (whenever it comes out) will be physical and boost physical subs. I'm kind of disappointed because I have so few light physical monsters, and I'm definitely in range of getting to 300k MP from selling dupes or monsters I never use. I'll probably just keep saving until something really shines with my box.

RageSedai likes this.
  16. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Screenshots of killing shots with A Apollo coming. I'll edit and update this post until I have something new to say.

First off, Devil's Domain from the Devil challenge. Used a Thor friend since I don't have any A Apollo friends yet. Team is hypermax except Thor. The damage came from 2 light TPA, another light combo from skyfall and a few other combos. Last sub is hard to see - Its Maeda Keiji.

Devil Challenge.PNG

Deus Ex Machina:
    This was also the least stressful run of this dungeon I've ever done. It took me about six tries to pass it with A Sakuya.
    Deus Kill Shot.PNG

Legendary Snowy Valley:
    I had never attempted this dungeon before because of the shear tanking needed and the boss resolve. I was able to beat it first attempt with the Apollo team. Maeda Keiji was necessary to clear the locked jammers, but I've read that counterattack can do the trick if you knock the boss down before resolve is gone.

Snowy Valley.PNG

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  17. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    So far I am loving playing with Awoken Apollo. Overall, he is a lot easier to activate consistently than I feared with the green match requirement, and the team is a lot more survivable than any of my other teams. The downside is that the team also has lower burst potential than either A. Sakuya (duh!) or Freyr / Raoh. Here is some compare and contrast and thoughts on how that would affect running through the Arena.

A Sakuya vs A Apollo
    Burst: 10+ million -vs- 2.5+ million
    Stalling: Nerve racking -vs- 25k a turn? No big deal
    Consistency: Pretty consistent -vs- Pretty consistent
    Sakuya is consistent with a few board changers and by clearing the board every time, but there will still be times that orb troll strikes. Apollo is about the same for having green and light on the board, plus the tankiness lets me stall for skills with ease.
    Summary: Playing Arena with Sakuya is nerve racking the entire run. I could die on floor 2-10 just as easy as I could die on floor 15-20 because of the low survivability. Apollo will probably be able to get me to floor 15+ consistently, but after that I will have to play much smarter than I'm used to. I'll have to pay attention to which monsters need to be burst down in one or two turns and which ones I can stall for skills while paying attention to nuke ranges. Overall, I think Apollo will be much more consistent.

Freyr Raoh vs A Apollo
    Burst: 20+ million -vs- 2.5+ million
    Stalling: 15k-20k a turn -vs- 25k a turn? No big deal
    Consistency: Less consistent -vs- Pretty consistent

Summary: My Freyr Raoh team is unplussed, so my conclusions might be skewed, but stalling is much more difficult with them than it is with Apollo. I also don't have the best orb changers for Freyr. Then only advantage my Freyr team has to Apollo is that the rows make much larger bursts than the TPA team. I'll have to actually try some Arena runs with Apollo to see how important that burst is. From the runs with Apollo so far, it also feels like I have orb changers ready much more often than I do with Freyr.

RageSedai likes this.
  18. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    The subs I'm using so far: Kali, Pollux, Maeda Keiji, New Year's Ama. I may be underestimating my burst. I went TPA for the team because I don't have enough good row subs leveled, and I don't have Thor. Once A DQXQ gets here I may try M Zeus, DQXQ, Baal, Ama.

Either way, I'm going to do some testing in EC today and try to get a better idea of how much I can burst consistently. I'll be using M Zeus instead of Maeda for the testing since I'll have Zeus for Arena. I may also play around with using Maeda instead of Kali mainly because Maeda actually gives hearts and I don't have any other heart makers on the team.

19. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I do have Elia, but it is not skilled up yet. I also have Ariel for a triple TPA sub. So far I'm only even considering Arena 1. I won't touch Arena 2 until there is skill transfer.

20. ATrain

ATrain Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Haven't been lucky enough to roll a Wukong. Do you think M Zeus, ADQXQ, Baal, Ama gives enough reliability / burst for those floors? I'm definitely going to use (and probably hypermax) DQXQ once the awoken gets to NA.