Best farming places for evo gems

Discussion in 'Q&A' started by Jsttu, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Jsttu

Jsttu Curious Cat

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Before i stopped playing for a while it was fairly simple to find what was needed for an evolution, you simply looked. maybe not the cheapest compared to what its like now, but simple. Now that its proxied via evo gems in the monster exchange, i'm confused as to where is the best place to get each kind of gem. Which dungeons do you all like to farm when you want a specific gem?

2. BurningMan

BurningMan Dropping the green Bomb

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    For RBG the grimoires are the cheapest in terms of Evo mats but require EXP to evo.
    Golems don't need EXP but are rather pricey with 3 gold keepers.
    Xuanzang is probably the easiest for light and dark and you can get both in journey to the west

3. James1605

James1605 Active Member

You can farm the dungeons that BurningMan mentioned for the large gems. FWIW, "Journey to the West" can also give you Zhu Bajie and Sha Wujing and, when leveled up and evolved, they can be exchanged for large fire and water gems. But "Journey to the West" isn't up right now, and I think it was featured just the other day, so it may be a while before it's back. But Grimoires is featured in the September quest dungeons, so it will be available all month.

You can get some large gems (one of each attribute) for completing some of the September quest "Novice to Int" dungeons.

I can't really tell you the best places to farm gems. I've mostly been trying to stockpile them when it's convenient, going after whatever is handy. For example, the bosses in the "Fire & Shadow Dog Dragons" dungeon that's up this week can be exchanged for a small fire or dark gem. A basic (and probably obvious) rule: If you get a drop that you don't need, don't sell it, or feed it to something for exp, until you check to see if it can be exchanged (possibly after evolving) for a gem.

Trading with other players is another option.

FWIW, you can find a list of the monsters that can be exchanged for gems here (a link that I got from another thread in this forum):

https://pad.protic.site/blog/new-evolution-stones-how-tos/

There are links to a couple of other references at the end of that page.

4. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    There's a guerilla called Gem Temple that drops a ton of gems of all sizes. It only comes around every so often, but if you run it for the full hour whenever you do see it you'll be set for gems for a while.

Jsttu likes this.
  5. James1605

James1605 Active Member

Oh, yeah. I didn't think about that. :) Of course the drops there are random (attribute and size, and maybe rare gems in the harder difficulty), so it may not be the best place if you're looking for specific gems. But if you don't have that many gems and are pretty much looking for any gems at this point (which sounds like the OP), then that's probably the best place -- Assuming, of course, that you can wait for it to come around again.

6. Jsttu

Jsttu Curious Cat

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    good to know there's a guerilla, and longterm that likely will be my go-to solution. but it turns out a lot can change in a year, and i'm just trying to get all the new awoken and revo ults that happened while i was gone, which means right now specific gemhunting.

7. BurningMan

BurningMan Dropping the green Bomb

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Can the guerilla lower difficulty drop large stones? Farming the higher one is a pain because you have to find someone with a fitting farming setup...

8. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    It can, but rates feel much worse than the higher difficulty.

9. James1605

James1605 Active Member

FWIW, the gem guerilla dungeon (Gem Temple) is actually running today. Here's the PADx page for the harder difficulty. It's "Annihilation" level, so, yeah. :)

http://puzzledragonx.com/en/mission.asp?m=3611

Some of the rare gems can appear on the first 5 floors of Annihilation, but that's random (my first run, I didn't get any). While the regular gems have very high defense and low HP, those rare gems just have high HP. And then the boss will be one of the Radar Dragons (Hera Dragon, Gaia Dragon, etc.) and they are much harder to deal with, especially since they have different skills, and you don't know which one you'll get. And if you beat them, you could get their rare gem, or you may just get a medium or large gem (which really seems like a rip :) ).

10. Jsttu

Jsttu Curious Cat

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    what are some good strats for the annihilation level? normal true damage wont work vs the rare drops, but the normal drops have too high a defense for a regular team

11. James1605

James1605 Active Member

I've only run Annihilation a couple of times, and only ran into one of the rare gems on the first 5 floors. I can't remember if it had a preempt (or any other special skill). I don't think the regular gems have preempts. If none of them do, then one option might be a defense break. One defense break could get you through the first floors, as long as you can one-shot any rare gems that might show up, so the rest of your skills can be targeted towards the possible rare gem spawn, and the boss (as opposed to trying to bring a poison or true damage for each floor). It's not much of a plan, but it's all I got. :) It helps a lot if you can do it in co-op (more skills, for one thing). I haven't tried it solo.

12. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Yep, bring an Anji or a Balboa or similar 100% def break. If a floor has no uniques, just mass attack with any color. If there is a unique, combo to kill it.

13. James1605

James1605 Active Member

Yeah, it seemed like a reasonable plan. :) I honestly can't remember what I did when I ran Annihilation before, and I didn't try it yesterday, because I'm pretty well stocked on gems, and had other things to spend my stamina on.

FWIW, I did think of one other thing. If you're running a rainbow team, you could use a monster with the Guard Break awakening to handle the regular gems. Then you could replace the defense break skill/monster with something that might be more useful against the boss. But if you only have one monster with Guard Break, you have to make sure to get a mass attack with that monster. If you're playing solo, the mass attack badge would be the easiest way to ensure that, as long as you don't need to use some other badge.