Card Creation Contest #2 : The Forgotten Legends

Discussion in 'P&D Discussion' started by Amphora, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Zaurora

Zaurora Momiji Best Girl

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Oh yes, of course. What resolution do you need it at? 350?
    Edit: I changed it to an attachment thumbnail thingy because it was an attachment I uploaded...sooooo.

2. jesrockz

jesrockz Rock@pf Unknown and Inactive Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    @Striker0 I used this site to make the background transparent: https://www.bonanza.com/background_burner

You have to sign up, but it's free and it works pretty good for a free site. If someone has a better way to do it, it should probably be on the OP of each of these contests.

3. Amphora

Amphora A beautiful nightmare

What browser are you using?
    Thanks! That works great. Can you also resize the image you posted in the gallery?
    This is pretty interesting - I'll play around with it later, and if it works well I'll include it in the OP in the future. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  4. Striku

Striku ,,廿_廿,,

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Safari.

5. Zaurora

Zaurora Momiji Best Girl

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Done. Do you happen to know how to resize images that were uploaded as attachments?

6. Striku

Striku ,,廿_廿,,

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    @Amphora

Found the problem. Safari won't let me show the images, so I'm using Google Chrome to make the card!

7. Amphora

Amphora A beautiful nightmare

Yeah most versions of Safari and Firefox don't fully support HTML5 canvas elements. Chrome and IE 9 work fine.
    I think the thumbnail function is the only way to resize since you can always click on it to enlarge if you wish to view in more detail.

8. Zaurora

Zaurora Momiji Best Girl

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Oh okay. I'll just paste directly from the website next time. Thanks!

9. Striku

Striku ,,廿_廿,,

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Crap. I don't wanna show my postal code in bonanza. There's only one thing I can do:

Draw Her
    Going to need someone's help with taking out the white background. But for now, here is what I'm going for:

Contest Entry (Contest 2).png

10. Felris

Felris Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
  11. jesrockz

jesrockz Rock@pf Unknown and Inactive Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Lol. Paranoid much? You wearing a foil hat right now? :p

12. Ryuzaito

Ryuzaito Demon General

User ID:

Background Info
    "Caelus or Coelus was a primal god of the sky in Roman myth and theology, iconography, and literature (compare caelum, the Latin word for "sky" or "the heavens", hence English "celestial")...The name of Caelus indicates that he was the Roman counterpart of the Greek god Uranus (Οὐρανός, Ouranos), who was of major importance in the theogonies of the Greeks."
    In PAD
    I wanted to make an Awoken Roman that had potential to be stronger but balanced. Shoutout to Divine Gate for giving the idea of a "Limit" leader skill, which only applies to a certain attribute and type. I kinda fused Minerva & Neptune in the active because they were trickier to put into awakenings than Ceres (heal/bind recover), Venus (time extend), and Hades (TPA).
    Notes
    • "Light Att. God type allies" means it only applies to Light units who are also Gods.
    • "Nova" refers to an extremely bright explosion of gases on a white dwarf star, so I went with Fire to Light. Orbs are enhanced to mimic brightness & bring in a bit of Awoken Venus.
    • Caelus is a trap :heart:

Art source. Character is Rche from BeatmaniaIIDX who ironically is supposed to represent Lucifer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mbp and Amphora like this.
  13. Empyrean Nikkou

Empyrean Nikkou In REM hibernation.

User ID:
    337455342 / Vigdis
    PADherder:
    link
    I decided to give this a whirl on a whim, since I was already making cards.

Larger version: http://www.angelfire.com/anime/next/Stuff/Hestiacard.jpg
    Artist of the image used: Urushihara Satoshi

Greek mythology is one of my old haunts, and when I thought of a figure that would be representative of an entire pantheon, Hestia immediately came to mind. Despite not being so well known today, in ancient Greece it was unlikely that you would have known any other deity without also knowing of Hestia: she was to receive a portion of every sacrifice to other deities, and the first and last offering at meals.

Hestia is a paradoxical character, being born both first and last, and consequently being both the oldest and youngest respectively. (Coincidentally, also in how insignificant she seems now, despite evidence to the contrary.) I chose the image based on that: appearing young yet precocious, innocent yet jaded. I took the same approach with her active and leader skills, in being both offensive and defensive. The awoken skills don't really take full advantage of them, including the bind recovery that would seem like a natural addition being left out. Overall, what she can do is nothing special in the top-tier sense, unless you focus enough on RCV for her active skill, but its potential is mitigated by being a neutral element, so it can't be doubled against the right element.

I guess that's it. Hestia's a personal favorite of mine, so I suggest looking her up should anyone be interested.

mbp, Amphora and jboordan like this.
  14. jboordan

jboordan ひかり輝いている ~ ❤

User ID:
    bonus points for not using that god-forsaken ronia-level cancer blue string on hestia!

15. Empyrean Nikkou

User ID:
    337455342 / Vigdis
    PADherder:
    link
    I'm not familiar enough with the game, or Sonia, to know what a cancer blue string is. ^^;

16. buzzyrecky

buzzyrecky Okuni's #1 bae Card Creation Winner

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    did u mean
    [​IMG]

Albireo likes this.
  17. Empyrean Nikkou

User ID:
    337455342 / Vigdis
    PADherder:
    link
    Oh, is that her name? I've seen images of her popping up often enough lately, but never bothered to investigate. If what I read about her is anywhere near true, she gives Hestia a bad name. It's kind of sad that this sort of character can become popular. ._.

18. buzzyrecky

buzzyrecky Okuni's #1 bae Card Creation Winner

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    shes not a bad character imo... shes cute, and her personality is alright (maybe a bit typical and bland, but thats most anime girls tbh)

just her anime is kinda lame lol

19. Drakylon

Drakylon Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Still looking for a good image, but here's what I have:

Character and source of image: Shiranui, from Ōkami (the video game). Yeah, not accurate at all, but it's the best art of a white canine (wolf in this case, I believe) I could find.
    Background:
    ~Wikipedia

(Since there wasn't enough space in the leader skill description box: the second part's ATK modifier should be 1x under 50%, 2x between 50% and 80%, 3x between 80% and full, and 4x at full. Not to be confused with the Norns' scaling.)

Inari takes some of the characteristics of Japanese 1 and just about all of 2, and combines them. The first part of his/her/its leader skill is a fresh combination of Amaterasu's autoheal and the Japanese 2 series' combo synergy. While potentially powerful, it requires quite a few combos to amount to anything useful (assuming 15k HP on the team, double Inari leads would require 12 combos to heal 50% of the team's HP without +eggs). The second part takes U&Y's rainbow theme and other Japanese 2 series' HP thresholds to create a very situational but powerful and controllable spike leader skill that synergizes well with the autoheal.

The active skill helps a team led by Inari to spike 1-turn enemies, and provides a nice heal to get back over the threshold. Note that the skill delays a target enemy, not all enemies. Awakenings fit the defensive nature of this card. Skill bind resist, bind immunity and bind recovery makes the team more secure in many situations, while the autoheal augments Inari's leader skill.

Inari's attributes and typing fit his/her/its mythological origins: light represents prosperity while wood represents fertility; god typing is natural for a deity, while healer subtype reflects Inari's identity as a general protector.

Perhaps I took the theme too literally and followed it too strictly, but I still believe that this is a well-balanced and effective card that embodies the Japanese pantheons (mostly 2).

EDIT: So uh, ran into a problem with making this image transparent.
    View attachment 1226
    Character: Shiranui, from Ōkami (the video game). Yeah, not accurate at all, but it's the best art of a white canine (wolf in this case, I believe) I could find.

You can probably see the issue. White character, white background, trying to make the background transparent also turns the character transparent. Not exactly something I want. I'll just leave the image there as a reference.

Thank you to @Zaku for transparency in the image. ^^

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  20. Felris

Felris Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Shameless self bump. I guess I wasn't the only one to use an Okami pic?:angelic: