Consider following the fun and not the meta

Discussion in 'Rants and Accomplishments' started by Tek7, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Not that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive.

I had to decide whether to evolve my Vajrayaksa to L/B or Awoken on my alt.

I have L/B Raijin and Yog on my main.

L/B Vajra pairs perfectly with L/B Raijin.

I've seen Awoken Vajra recommended as a lead pairing for Yog, especially the L/x form of Yog (which is what I chose).

It was a difficult decision to make, but, in the end, I went with my heart, followed the fun (I <3 L/B Raijin as a lead), and chose L/B Vajra.

I'm very pleased with the results.

[​IMG]

I took this team in to Zeus & Hera and resolves aren't even a bother thanks to the auto-attack built in to Vajra's LS.

I recognize there's merit in following the meta and that the strongest leads can be fun to play, too. And hey, if I had a Yusuke of my own, I'd use him to clear difficult content. Believe me.

Nevertheless, I wanted to share this to encourage others that are feeling that PAD presses players to choose what's strongest even when they don't enjoy that lead or play style as much.

Luminescent, ko300zx and wilk like this.
  2. sgt502

sgt502 ばかぷれーやー

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Raijin also pairs nicely with Sensui.

3. ko300zx

ko300zx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    This is what will keep me playing PAD. I'll use whatever's strongest when I just want to get stuff done, but when I have the extra time, playing more obscure leads and succeeding is far more fun and rewarding than stomping everything without a struggle.

Where are my Acala friends! :arghh:

Tek7 likes this.
  4. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I had to go and look up Sensui because I didn't recognize the name.

Found him on PDX.

LS looks like a great pairing for Raijin!

But I have my doubts anyone on my friends list will have him up, whereas I can run L/B Raijin x L/B Vajra in co-op with myself. :/

5. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    It's fine if you have an alt that can put up whatever lead you want to pair with but for the rest of us who only play on one account, finding the right pairing will likely prove to be difficult unless you just so happen to find a lead that can pair up with a meta lead that most other people are already running.

BurningMan and Tek7 like this.
  6. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    True. I've been fortunate to pull some powerful-but-still-off-meta leads (e.g. Revo Amon, Revo Belial, Fenrir, etc.) as well as meta leads (e.g. Gronia and Blonia) on both accounts, which helps mitigate the issues of PAD's terrible friend lead system.

But then I pulled some great leads during SGF on both accounts but only on one account (e.g. Yog, Kami, and NY Kami on my main, Ea and Allatu on my alt).

I plan on reevaluating my best friend slot leads soon. I currently have Enra in slot 1 and Amemina in slot 2 on my main and D/R Fenrir in slot 1 and Kiri with 5 SDR latents in slot 2 on my alt.

If any of my best friends are looking for niche leads (NY Kami immediately springs to mind), let me know! I want to do my part to offer an alternative to the sea of Yusuke and Ed friends.