Curiosity: How does PaD treat new and mid-game players?

Discussion in 'P&D Discussion' started by Growlanser, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Growlanser

Growlanser :)

User ID:
    329 563 227
    PADherder:
    link
    Hi All,

How do you think PaD treats new and mid-game players?
    Related: How do you think Gungho could improve the PaD experience for them to retain and grow more users?

-

I joined 1250 days ago. I remember having issues with the lack of information on how to really play/win, the lack of engaging events, and at times the meta-game seemed kind of monolithic (like 2/4/2 teams moving to color spike teams, etc...).

Now, it seems like we have substantial third party resources to show new players how to play/win, and lots of fun events with freebies, but a meta-game that's moving super fast.

I'm just curious how you think newer and mid-game players are doing in PaD, and if Gungho could improve it for them if needed. Thanks!

2. awkward.fistbumps

awkward.fistbumps semi-retired from pad. Full stam most days

PADherder:
    link
  3. MagicMatcher

MagicMatcher Sacred Life Cow <3

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    They have a lot more resources to work with, but it may be overwhelming to play the game with everything going on at once. I also started playing 1200+ days ago, and I remember we were always off event, so I'd just clear my way through normals and techs and do the occasional guerilla. Now, you have to balance guerrillas, normals, descends, farming, collabs, etc. Sure maybe as a beginner you won't even touch most of them, but it is overwhelming to see everything you can do. However, you are able to advance much faster than in the past.

Also, they need to update the tutorial LOL. Though I like that it's kinda vague, since I probably wouldn't remember anything from it anyways, and like to discover things on my own. But idk, maybe point out plus egg system, skill-ups, mp shop, awakening system, inheritance?

Nemesis, tanpopo, Seanna and 3 others like this.
  4. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

User ID:
    [US] 375 256 244
    PADherder:
    link
    My answers was going to be "better than they used to"

Without trying to turn this into a "remember when" thread, I'll just say that when I started there were no awakings, you got 3 seconds to move the orbs, and plusses were an extreme luxury.

I think by necessity games have to get easier if they want to attract the more casual players that will help them keep growing and that translates to new players having it pretty easy go for now. In particular, the free rolls at rank 50 and plusses help immensely

Raizel likes this.
  5. Sherufanir

Sherufanir Eschamali unlocked <3

User ID:
    Sheru@PF
    PADherder:
    link
    I mean if the new player has a friend that plays pad he can just get carried through technicals.

6. xer 21

xer 21 Mathematically the Worst Player on the Forums

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Coop is now the driving force of the game, but coop isnt easily accessible for newer players. There needs to be a public matchmaker in game so we dont have to rely on discord.

Sherufanir likes this.
  7. Ikazuyr

Ikazuyr Member

PADherder:
    link
    My wife started playing a year or so ago when I came back to the game for the first time (just came back again a few days ago). I know that she would not have played for more than a few days if I wasn't there to help explain everything. The tutorial is vague at best and the sheer number of mechanics involved are overwhelming for new players.

That said, new players should have an option for the old PAL egg machine that doesn't spit out exclusively skill up / evo mat monsters. It took forever for her to have decent enough monsters that Super Gold Dragons weren't a part of her Saria team.

Reine likes this.
  8. HeartlessIndigo

HeartlessIndigo Inactive Member

PADherder:
    link
    the old pem usually only spit out slimes and goblins and the like, nothing very useful except on the very rare occasion, but yeah.

I agree how the game can be perwhelming, especially since so many resources are just thrown at new players with little to no explanation, especially how vague the value of a "gold egg" is. You would think gold eggs are special, until you learn that some gold eggs are useless while some are amazingly good.

9. らぶたん

らぶたん 元AKB48

new players have it way easier than back in the days but I think that's a good thing. nowadays it's super easy to get a Myr or have something coop carry you to get mats to evo your other OP leads. but I think this early level grind was boring anyway so I think it's a good thing they got rid of that. not to mention that Gungho constantly gives out free shit like piis and +eggs. depending on when you start playing you could probably get a full hyper team in a month or two just from all the freebies they are giving out.
    just imagine how you used to have to figure out a team to beat stuff like weekday dungeons and the like. nowadays you can just join someone in coop to button press it for you and you don't even have to do anything yourself.

10. Wishy

Wishy SHRAPNEL

Game got easier, and I think it got arguably a bit worse.

At least I used to have fun by working on some specific teams to get a Keeper of Rainbow, for instance. Now you can just get carried, build some kind of ghetto Myr team and just use the same thing for literally every dungeon without even thinking.

11. Knomraski

Knomraski Bowl of Herp

This seems like it would be the case.

New players have access to cards which are literally hundreds of times more powerful than the 2/4/2 leads that were cutting edge when I started. On the other hand, they also didn't have the luxury of being handheld and gradually acquainted with all of the updates we've had over the years: Tamadras, latent tamadras, extra latent slots, skill inheritance, Tans, Dras, Piis, Monster points, quest perks, various forms of poison orbs, bombs, haste, +combo skills, fog (or whatever that new turned-based cloud-y crap stuff is called) and a craptillion different kinds of leader skills, some of which require a great deal of skill. That could feel overwhelming to a newbie.

Another slight disadvantage new players face is the ever decreasing value of PCGFs and substantially smaller odds of pulling the card you want from the REM, be it a GF REM or a Collab REM. But that's more of a newbie first world problem.

Nemesis, Arranging and MagicMatcher like this.
  12. MagicMatcher

MagicMatcher Sacred Life Cow <3

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Better than the star eggs we would always roll back in the day :rolleyes:

13. aFireBlaze

aFireBlaze Triggered People are what feeds me treats :^)

User ID:
    :MingRen:
    Started on an alt. account 25 days ago, it's actually very overwhelming. If you know what you're doing, you virtually have unlimited stamina and have access to leaders that can just pummel stuff like Starlight Sanctuary farming for days and days and days and days...

Sometimes I just end up leaving my alt account at full stamina knowing that I'll be at full again if I run a dungeon, on top of also having 3 minute per stamina.

Then again we're talking about new accounts, so I may just leave it simply at this guy's answer:
    I can see this quite often on twitch/discord when they're asking for carries and they can only combo one or two matches :(

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    awkward.fistbumps likes this.
  14. Raizel

Raizel Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    For the midgame part, I think we should define it.

I think, between rank 200-400 can be considered as midgame (just a subjective idea).
    Maybe, until getting Myr, it can be considered as new-mid game. After Myr, door of the endgame is openning to players (if arena is still considered as endgame).

15. xer 21

xer 21 Mathematically the Worst Player on the Forums

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I think arenas are still a good endgame target. its something any player can aspire to with many different paths dependent on your box, where as some other "endgame" dungeons like the annihilation techs and rogues can require stricter team building and also tend to only require a few specific skills, where as Arena expects you to be prepared for almost any situation the game has.

16. SNG^_-

SNG^_- Kirin oooooh kill'em!

The hardest part of this game for a new player is sitting down, reading the literature on whats what and coming up with a plan they want to use to develop their progress through the game, whether that be going for really hard legend plus stuff or maybe just deciding what teams they want to level because of personal style enjoyment or wanting to see certain content ie FF collab/Bleach collab just being cool little things to do on your phone as you go through your day

Nemesis likes this.
  17. relicss

relicss Active Member

as some1 who has just started playing on jp servers i can say its ez mode
    my jp account is like 80 days old and its already rank 320 has 15 +297 monsters 1 mp monster and several a/s tier teams obviously im still missing few pieces for some teams to be ready to conquer arena 2/3 but besides that most rogue dungeons are cake walk

18. Gr33nDr4g0n

Gr33nDr4g0n Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Other than the information overload it's got to be way easier for new players now. That was kind of inevitable though with power-creep and all. I mean new harder content and cards that can clear that content need to be released regularly but those new leads/teams can roflstomp the older content that new players start on. Pull a current high tier lead and one or two optimal subs and cakewalk into the mid-game as a new player, a mid-game that used to be the end-game. Or heck pull a high tier lead from 6 months ago and do the same thing.

Also co-op, better events, etc.

Nemesis likes this.
  19. CarlosDanger

CarlosDanger Member

PADherder:
    link
    The hardest issue for new players is that there is so much obsolete information out there.

20. Crisis_Phantom

Crisis_Phantom New Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I think that it is still very confusing and very hard for players to go from mid to end game because how much work team building is