For everyone chasing or considering chasing Kanan: Consider Cruz

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and Dungeon Strategies' started by Tek7, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I typed up a longer-than-planned reply to a thread on the PAD sub-reddit, so I figured I might as well share it here, too:

My plan was to spend 25-50 stones on Shinrabansho to get Kanan, then quit and roll for Cruz from Draconic Orchestra if I didn't get Kanan. Yes, Draconic Orchestra is a 10-stone REM whereas Shinrabansho is a 5-stone REM, but (1) I only rolled once after my free roll when DO debuted in NA and (2) DO is likely to get new cards and buffs when it returns.

Cruz covers red for Lightning and Yuna teams, is unbindable, has 3 heart OE, and has a hazard clear active on a 7-turn CD. Her RCV tops out at 1165 at level 110 (higher than Kanan's max RCV at 1068).

Cruz also has healer typing for Ciel teams. (Kanan has god typing for DKali and Akine teams, while Cruz has dragon typing for Rikuu and Roots teams.)

Cruz's active does NOT clear binds or awoken binds, which is an important difference, but you could tack on a Sakura Matou assist or, if you're more whale-y (or just got better rolls than I did during the MtG collab) a Jhoira card equip assist.

TL;DR: If you're patient, save your stones, wait for the Draconic Orchestra re-run and roll for Cruz.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: Cruz has 2 fingers instead of 2 team HP awakenings, but Cruz, like Kanan, can also get a cloud resist SA.

grinder likes this.
  2. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn You can't take the sky from me. Staff Member

User ID:
    Kanan's active is definitely part of the appeal.

But I'm not sure I see the need to compare, since (1) Orchestra, in its current form, isn't that great for the cost, imho; (2) who knows when Orchestra will be coming back.

3. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Agreed on all points. Kanan's low CD bind and awoken bind clear is excellent and the low CD makes her a fantastic base for a better skill.

Since DO monsters are original monsters wholly owned by GungHo, I'd expect them back in 6-12 months (probably closer to 6). As I'm coming up on the 2,000 day mark on my main account, I can say with confidence that this game rewards patience. (For example, the game used to require that special tamadra to give a monster a 6th latent slot. Now all monsters have 6 latent slots.)

With the 7-stone super fest, MH rerun, and other REMs coming soon, I'd advise against rolling too heavily for Kanan, but that's just my $0.02!

4. Noc

Noc Active Member

User ID:
    Noc
    PADherder:
    link
    Cruz is worth mentioning regardless because there are going to be players who rolled Cruz and disregarded her as an alternative to Hestia, while overlooking her potential as a light card. With the exception of hardcore utility cards, e.g. Kanan, we tend to avoid using off-color cards in most non-rainbow teams so it's easy to forget that a card like Cruz can have value on light teams, e.g. Mariel or Lightning.

Beyond that, @Tek7 is probably right about Draconic Orechestra's return. Given 1) the frequency with which we see Gungho's other REMs, e.g. DBDC and Heroine, and 2) that Draconic Orchestra is so new, it will probably be back within 6-12 months.

I also think the rest of the Draconic Orchestra line-up is underrated. All the top tier cards, except maybe Theor, offer a lot of value. One of the six stars is decent. And the 5 stars have some interesting actives and at least two cards with unique utility (Lotta Lotta and Cruz). Shinrabansho is basically the Kanan show. Everything else that's even remotely good (e.g. Hakuren) is pretty replaceable. And the fact that Shinrabansho is less likely to come back, also means that Cruz is more likely to show up in a future roll&buff than Kanan.

Oh and I imagine most of us would agree that the average art quality of our boxes tanks with every unfortunate roll of Shinrabansho. At least for me, Draconic Orchestra falls on exactly the opposite end of the spectrum: beautiful art and I love the music theme.

Tek7 and grinder like this.