Fox's kitchen sink blog: NEW YEARS UPDATE 1/17

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by foxwaffles, Jul 11, 2015.

1. nickjr

nickjr Pushbutton kouhai of whale senpais

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    WOOHOO 8D

Don't worry, I still don't have one hahaha

foxwaffles likes this.
  2. foxwaffles

foxwaffles Weak to pretty boys

PADherder:
    link
    Cleared the One-Shot Challenge today! As usual I used Anubis x Diablos, brought Diaochan / Yuna / R.Isis / A.Yomi. I don't feel like revo-ing my Yomi, the art downgrade is just not worth it. It felt quite a bit more difficult than the Whale one, and the last one for me will be the red dragon who apparently has resolve, so I guess I'm getting it in ascending difficulty! We'll see how I manage next time.

I had quite a few close shaves throughout the floor including triggering resolves due to skyfall (I mean, it's a 7x6 board, what else could possibly go wrong, right?) but ultimately it's done! With 5-coins on the horizon, I will be farming a LOT of TAMADRAs. I hope +egg farming opportunities come soon ;v;

I am also working on collecting all evolution materials required for Odin Dragon, specifically his sub uvo. Apparently the MP cap got raised so I don't need to worry about hitting 999,999 MP, but I still have decided I would like to buy him anyways. I won't be doing so until all his evo materials are collected, to keep me committed, and so I can back out for whatever reason. I don't know when my next chance to get Wood Jewels will be though, I ran out max skilling Verdandi (I only had like 6 left to begin with anyways).

The recent announcement of Fire Myr and Light Hera Dragon has me rather conflicted. I have like 800,000 MP right now, after August is done and I buy Odin Dragon I'll have ~700,000 which will put me comfortably in range to buy one when they debut in NA given a 3-month gap or so, since I've almost got my alt up to speed with making a Linthia farming team with me.

Why Buy Light Hera Dragon
    -great light sub and I like light teams and just generally good card, it's like owning Yomi Dragon for dark
    -pairs good with Light Metatron, however I could always piggyback off friend
    -art

Why NOT Buy Light Hera Dragon
    -Leader skill will not achieve anything I can't already do as far as I know
    -solid card but not mind-blowingly awesome, do I really need it? it's not like I own Yog or anything

Why Buy Fire Myr
    -great LS, blows regular Light and Blue Myr out of the water with damage scaling
    -heart cross 75% shield is still very powerful
    -superior active
    -awakenings make her a great card as a sub since her active creates fire AND heart orbs

Why NOT Buy Fire Myr
    -dear god do I really want more heart cross
    -making 6+ combos with a heart cross is difficult
    -my fire box isn't exactly that powerful/not many good fire teams in my box that can do something new except denebola who fire myr isn't exactly condusive to

Let me know what your thoughts are!

3. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I want people to buy light HeraDra because I recently discovered how powerful AND fun LMeta x LEscha can be and light HeraDra is unbindable (and actually feasible to obtain; I rolled LEscha on my alt account from my freebie roll during last year's June Bride and just may have broken the laws of probability).

foxwaffles likes this.
  4. foxwaffles

PADherder:
    link
    DENEBOLA IS BEST GIRL GUYS

WE HAVE A WINNER HERE

In all seriousness, Denebola really rocks it! All you really, REALLY need is someone to make sure Denebola can recover from bind. I'm using Revo Minerva with an RRH inherit but that's the super ghetto edition, if you have Yamato (though bindable) or Ame no Uzume (better) or Rozuel (better) then you're good to go :>

For the first time ever I wish Awoken Belial's active didn't change away jammers, super Belial only has rows :[

Currently running

Denebola / Tigrex / Minerva / uuvo Belial / Gainaut

Tigrex is great for burst and honestly doesn't need a Belial active because team hits harder with TPAs and also uses all the OEs for damage plus the ridiculous 144x. If I need burst I just pop in Freyr instead of Gainaut, and if I know I'm bind-safe I throw out Minerva and we're good to go. Freyr hits like a truck with 144x and 7 combos.

5. Carlos R. Marti-Figueroa

Carlos R. Marti-Figueroa Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Yeah the team is crazy good. Mine is not ideal but I blasted Arena 1 with it very easily. Posted in the jammer thread. If you have urd or especially glavenus, consider them for resolve enemies like Stupid Hino and Stupider Ilsix

foxwaffles likes this.
  6. foxwaffles

PADherder:
    link
    Dragonbounds finally got split uvos!!!
    Yes!!! Finally! Now to wait for Gadius and Typhon to get second uvos too.

Up next should be Kalis and then the rest of the Grimoire GFEs (Ronove, Sitri, Dantalion).

Saria: I don't know how much potential her LS has. Changing the additional multiplier from active skill usage to matching connected light orbs is definitely welcome, but she no longer has an HP multiplier and Revo Thor never had one either. Can't think of any good pairings atm that would give tanky HP, but Kirin is a great option for no-skyfall and it's not like Revo Thor is bad either. With all these Revos lately, you can have innate tankiness just by stats alone. Her sub uvo also just got WAY more powerful, 7c, FUA, so much more glittery sparkle!

Ryune: *screams in delight because I have 2* Healer Ryune is a beautiful Sonia sub, being one of the few double SBR on-type blues aside from super Andromeda, who I conveniently don't have because I had already evolve Mion :> She pairs just as good with Meriodonalis as before and can form a great asymmetrical pairing with new Blue Sonia too, with her bindability being her only downfall--but she doesn't carry the HP multiplier.

Sylvie: Pretty much just as great as Ryune, and did I mention dat art upgrade? I like Kozaki's work but he must've been swamped with work because the original Sylvie artwork honestly was just so many levels of cringe. I've heard on the subreddit that this is a different artist? IDK, it still looks like Kozaki-style so not sure, but all three Dragonbounds have great artwork!

Overall, ridiculously hyped, especially for Ryune <3

Tek7 likes this.
  7. foxwaffles

PADherder:
    link
    PSA: PAD Goals, IRL, and My Dreaming

Hey guys, kind-of-important PSA.

You probably remember I have enough C10s under my belt to be considered at least slightly above the average cut of PAD player. I'm not going to brag, there's many other non/light IAP players with far more to their name, but that's not to say I have not achieved anything noteworthy.

For almost a year now I have been chasing an Arena 2 clear, and have time and time again tried to plan to co-op with many various people who are kind enough to lend me their time. And as you know, that never quite happened.

As of today, I think it's safe to say that won't happen for a while. Arena 2/3 are on the backburner, as are any clears of dungeons like the Colosseum and Cosmic Trinity. I don't have any ETA on when they will be under my belt and who knows I might never clear them.

School has started as of yesterday, and just as I thought I'm really in for it. I am trying to graduate early because my finances have fallen through as my beloved father's health continues to go downhill. For those who are overly concerned, this has bee happening for almost a decade now, but he is in no danger of dying prematurely or suddenly, no cancer or anything, it is more like his general health just runs on a lower line than all of ours, and that line drops steadily with each passing year, but his mind and spirit remain healthy so he is doing fine, we say. Because to him, yes, he is fine, and he is content and happy with his life and my family loves him dearly.

But the impact on finances is reality and I am as a result taking two core studio classes simultaneously, in addition to having to prepare for senior show, the final art show of my college career. It is entirely class-done, the only thing provided is the venue, we even have to pay for all rental fees and catering. Basically a bunch of seniors who are very cliquey and judgmental and still quite immature (yes, that includes me) must work together like good friends while at the same time fighting things like budget and branding discrimination because Fashion and Animation are treated very differently by the admins and that affects how students treat each other (poorly).

I have already had a panic attack this afternoon, and that is only after two days of school, I haven't even had my third class yet (which only meets once a week). Needless to say, my work is cut out for me, some would say that just getting married doesn't solve anything but for me it means I am now living with the one person I can always count on when my depression and anxiety decide to wombo-combo me and that is my now-husband. I am also only a few minutes' drive from university. So, marriage has not added any undo stress that hasn't more or less run its course (I will vomit and get physically sick if I build up enough stress and I did just that two weeks ago!).

As it stands I was hoping it would be a month or two before the breakdowns kick in, there is no avoiding them and my friends get so sad knowing this happens to me (and them) with 100% guarantee. But it appears for me it's just going to start now and only get worse. It is the last semester, the worst semester, so the only sanctity I have is knowing that come December it will never come back again (unless somebody shotguns me into grad school).

My therapist had to go on medical leave and ultimately is not back, so my therapist sessions have more or less been suspended on indefinite hiatus. I don't know what happened but I can assume it was a major event, so it is nobody's fault, just bad circumstances. However, I have put the therapy hunt on hold, she was the cheapest in the area and I can't afford all the ones I was able to find without asking insurance, and the health insurance situation is shaky in America right now, I cannot risk putting any sort of "pre-existing condition" on my history right now. Unfortunately depression and anxiety count, as much as I understand the need for pre-existing conditions due to people not seeking coverage until after they are sick, it hampers my personal ability to afford any sort of therapy or medication. So I am just fighting right now by sheer force of will, even that flags and I have to sleep more than normal because I am so tired.

So what does this long ramble have to do with Puzzle & Dragons???
    Well, I can't treat Puzzle & Dragons like I have been. I love to take this game seriously, think a lot about different team compositions, tackle endgame dungeons, beat Challenge 10s, and really push my skill and this game as far as I can take it. I had times where I was so close to getting the White Labyrinth Snake when that killer series of dungeons came around but I will not be chasing that anymore. As may of you saw I updated my status about focusing on my jammer teams, well, here is the reason:

I want PAD to be my escape, not cause me to become anxious, or cause anxiety-related attacks or sicknesses. Having a mobile game I can run to for a brief moment of calm has a value that cannot be understated, I want to boot up the game and breath easy, not feel tense. For this reason a lot of my other video games have remained unopened, I was hoping to finish Horizon and play Persona 5 but when I am so prone to stress from school any sort of stress a video game could give me will only hurt. As of lately I have been playing things like the Pokken Tournament demo, Mariokart, and indie game Graceful Explosion Machine as well as rhythm games, they have no fear of failure and no decision-making with long-term implications, both of which are very present in Horizon and Persona, so I cannot play them right now.

I will be blogging less until school is done.
    I will probably go back to making small, silly posts instead of scheduled, longer ones like what I did last year. I don't know what you guys like but if you follow this thread then you'll be able to see whenever I update. I will probably continue to update my status, which will leave my blog more untouched because small things that fit into 200 characters aren't worth a whole forum post anyway.

After I graduate I would like to start a bigger PAD blog, one that not only has PAD but just is a whole kitchen sink of many things I love and topics I like to discuss.
    I have already claimed the WordPress username and I hope that you will look forward to it in the future if you like reading blogs. I was heavily inspired by the blogging of setsu and Mantastic and bk (Tumblr) and have flirted with the idea of starting my own blog. I love writing and a bigger WordPress blog will give me the chance to share with you all other hobbies I have outside of PAD and contribute to the vibrant PAD community in my own way.

I would also like to start streaming PAD, among many other things, in 2018.
    Streaming from mobile phone is very easy, I also want to stream other video games too, on Twitch. My Twitch page is more or less set up and formatted how I like it, it's just a matter of using it. If you like watching streams I hope you will tune in when I start. I am not very good at commentating but I will try my best. I would also like to stream when I draw on my computer, it will help me stay focused and finish the work instead of giving up, feeling disappointed, and throwing it in the recycling bin (literally, I regret losing many artworks off my hard drive, they can never be recovered). And it will hopefully expose more people to using Krita, which is free and feels like a refined hybrid of Paint Tool SAI and Photoshop (though it also does not have good photomanipulation at all, Photoshop is basically the only answer to that).

For now I will be letting myself become more casual with my PAD account and goals, I am currently focusing on gathering the materials for Odin Dragon and building up my Denebola team, I hope some form of good +egg farming comes back aside from the STTD guerillas, if +15 descends made a return I would be delighted as I wasn't able to make use of it last time due to Monster Hunter. I have played a lot with Skuld x Julie and it is very powerful, my two Reincarnated Karin are having a lot of spotlight now, and finally, I will be evolving my Blue Sonia next Tuesday. I am excited to see that one of Ryune's ultimate evolutions has two SBR, since I do not own double SBR Andromeda.

For those who actually read the whole thing, I am eternally grateful for your willingness to sacrifice your time to read about my troubles. I just wanted to get this off my chest, and share a few of my own personal dreams, even if they are farfetch'd and rather silly.

awkakes, mtb911, Gig and 4 others like this.
  8. Sparkle

Sparkle Doing it wrong since 1979

User ID:
    <3

foxwaffles likes this.
  9. foxwaffles

PADherder:
    link
    2018 Update

It's been MONTHS since I've touched this blog and as I'm sure you all know my activity on the forums dropped significantly as well.

So here's a discussion of the current state of affairs...

I GRADUATED
    Yep, that happened

Went on a cruise over Christmas which was lovely (I got to have gelato EVERY. SINGLE. DAY) but it also made me realize that wow my physical health is in such a sad state I'm surprised I'm not in the hospital.
    Needless to say that's put my job hunt on a hold... during the semester I didn't really pay attention to how I was doing and assumed I was tired all the time because you know, homework and college = no sleep. But even after all is said and done my sleep quality has deteriorated to the point where I can go to bed at 10, not fall asleep for hours, and wake up at 10 feeling utterly crashed. Boo.

I STILL PLAY PAD
    I'm still logging in every day, guys!
    But uh

I'm...not as interested in the game anymore?
    To be more specific, I barely played at all during the semester because I was so busy, I would just login so nobody thought I had quit and to help my best friends, claim the TAMADRA and stone, etc. As a result, my box really hasn't progressed much in terms of cards, although Ameno is my best team so far and still holds up really well tbh, but even now that I'm done with school, I still am not playing much.

I had been piecing together plans to start a PAD blog, stream some, and whatnot, but with my interest fading I saw fit to can those because who wants to follow somebody who isn't passionate about the game?

I still play casually.
    This is the state I am in and anticipate being in for some time. I still love jamming with Fenrir and Ameno just whips out damage it makes my eyes hurt.

My leads that I leave up are now very flexible, please let me know if you want to see any of my leads up (Denebola, whatever).

Thoughts on the REM Renewal
    I don't know if this will make me dive neck deep into the game like I used to, maybe it will, maybe it won't. The most recent godfest gave me Vishnu and Set, so I FINALLY HAVE A VISHNU *#%)^!*#

My Future in this Forum
    I want to revive my art thread, actually! I might not be playing the game super seriously but I still love PAD's art and lore! Plus I have begun to dive back into drawing, I am slowly, VERY slowly, but slowly moving all the same, towards getting my love for drawing back and the stamina necessary to work on more ambitious projects. I want to start building up a commission-based business, plus stream artwork and things, and create a general life-related blog plus Tumblr and a few other social media outlets (with the exclusion of Facebook).

So look forward to a future revival of my art thread and I hope that whoever is left who knows me will follow me over there :) I hope you all will be interested in seeing my artistic endeavors :)

I will still be playing the game and following the news so I will always be open to joining discussions, I just don't expect to be able to contribute as much to theorycrafting and card evaluating as much as I used to be able to. It's a shame but that's the way things go.

To be honest, when I stopped playing PAD during the semester I noticed that being off my phone was good for me anyways. So I have made a resolve to spend less time on my phone, and if I do spend time on it, it's because I want to and I am using it for a deliberate purpose, NOT because I am bored and idling. One of the largest symptoms of depression that manifests in me is my tendency to idle, which relegates me to looking at memes, scrolling through reddit, or just staring into space. It is a habit that has been forged with steel cable in my brain now and is only reinforced by my continual mental bouts, and it needs to stop.

Mobile Games I Am Playing/Have Quit
    I have more or less stopped playing Brave Frontier as of two months ago. Game just isn't fun, the metagame has stalled hard as each new unit that's released stands out less and less, I just lost interest.
    I play Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp on and off, but I feel like it was built that way. It's a slimmed down Animal Crossing so I enjoy the casual playstyle it seems to be promoting.
    My biggest game right now is Fire Emblem: Heroes, let me know if you want to drop me a friend request. I'm very capable of playing it casually and it has an autobattle system that lets me farm without having to babysit my phone.

Video Games I Am Playing Right Now
    My Switch is receiving lots of love, we are seriously considering buying a second one as me and my husband have just been sharing the system. It's working out just fine but once Kirby: Star Allies releases there's a high chance we both will be wanting to play at the same time on different games. Fire Emblem Warriors currently has stolen my heart and the Awakening DLC pack isn't coming till this March, which is basically when Kirby comes out too, and this is not taking into account the Bayonetta port either, or the fact that neither of us have finished Xenoblade 2 yet.

My PS4 I wish I could say the same, I was given NieR: Automata for Christmas and I still haven't cracked into my copy of Persona 5, nor have I even remotely finished Final Fantasy XV. I don't know if I will ever finish XV, it didn't have that spark that I thought it would have after watching so much gameplay and playing the demos. NieR on the other hand, I really am such a big Platinum fan! And Persona speaks for itself.

I am playing Ultra Moon right now and I'll be playing my husband's Ultra Sun later (*looks at our homebrewed 3DS's and puts on an eyepatch*) to get the other legendaries not available in Moon (why did they split the Ultra Wormhole legendaries in half, why??). My interest in competitive Pokemon has diminished greatly over the past two years but I think I have come to accept it. My passion remains in breeding perfect Pokemon and I have also begun to gain an itching to shiny hunt.

If you'd like to friend me on the Switch just ask! My IGN is "foxwaffles".

By the way, I am into lolita fashion now
    Yep, that happened. I met a girl at our senior class art show who was fully decked out in Sweet Lolita from head to toe. Having dressed in a more Korean/Japanese fashion style for years by then, I was naturally interested and it was like a switch had been flipped... this is what I needed! (in terms of my closet anyways) While clothes are an easy rabbit hole to jump down, and feeling validated by what you wear is not a healthy addiction by any means, it always feels great to find a style that you can express yourself in and be honest with yourself about, and lolita was that for me.

I'm saving up some money, it's a very expensive fashion unfortunately and so I have to be very tight with my PayPal... but the hours spent deal hunting will be worth it =^.^=

For anybody who knows about lolita fashion, I am not interested in Sweet, I am 200% a Classic and Gothic person, preferring Classic Lolita with Gothic influences.

And that about wraps it up

I am still unsure about the future of this blog. If you would like to see me turn it into a general life blog, then please let me know! Otherwise, this blog will just fade into the forum's archives.

awkakes, nickjr, sgt502 and 4 others like this.
  10. Kyrdrin

Kyrdrin Still surviving the non-IAP grind...

Thanks for the update! Even though I'm not very active on the forums anymore, it's good to keep track of what people are up to. :)

Congratulations and best of luck on your life after college! Exciting times!

nickjr, Gig and foxwaffles like this.
  11. Gig

Gig E rank luck

PADherder:
    link
    Happy new year and congratulations on your graduation ! I hope this will be the year of the Foxwaflles the same way it's currently shaping to be the year of the Gig for me personally (and I plan on making it the same for the next 10 years or so at least)

Brave Frontier is a dead game since 2 or 3 years now anyway. You're not missing out with this one.
    I've uninstalled FEH though, couldn't roll Christmas Tharja, got spooked three time (1 Celica (which was like the 5th Celica in a row with the worst iv for her...) and 2 Seliph come on now, why is this garbage trash unit not a 2*), Couldn't roll Axeblucina (Don't remember her name she looks like Lucina but she's a singer/dancer), got 5 Inigo instead...

You need to do P5 like ASAP, I mean like right now serious. I just finished it around christmas it was absolutely incredicrazy.
    Also FFXV royal edition soon lmao, you can still do it for the low price of msrp lol.

I'm sorry my knowledge of clothes is limited to "you wear them in order to not get cold" :pompous: #caveman

shialebeoufdoit.mp4 :punch:

12. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I've been trying to get back to this thread to write a reply for 3 days, so I'm just going to say:

I read your post.

The Switch is awesome. We should exchange friend codes.

I installed Fire Emblem Heroes after switching from stock Android to LineageOS + Franco kernel + Magisk. Magisk hides root, so I can install Nintendo mobile games now. I've barely touched FEH, in part because I'm overwhelmed by a very unfamiliar mobile game and I don't have nearly the patience for learning curves that I did when I started PAD.

I'm so happy to hear that you've found a better balance with your phone time. Addiction sucks and it feels great to feel like I play PAD instead of feeling like PAD plays me. *insert "In Soviet Russia" joke*

And I probably had more thoughts, but I'm going to go spend time with my kids.

So glad to see you post again and I'm happy that you're happy. Stay happy, don't fall back in to that idling/game addiction hole again, and keep keeping your priorities straight. It ain't easy to get started, but wow, it feels great once you get over that first hill. :)

nickjr, Gig and foxwaffles like this.
  13. foxwaffles

PADherder:
    link
    Unfortunately my habit of idling on the INTERNET is its own vicious beast, but progress is progress! My husband works from home occasionally to keep me straight, I feel bad but his work is super flexible with that sort of thing plus it snowed all week this week and we southerners shut down when snow happens. Ha!

I need to get my drawing stam back up to where I can treat art as my full-time 9 - 5 job, for now the most I can handle is 4 hours then I just have to stop. It's frustrating but getting angry about it won't make me draw for any longer. In the meantime I'm finally learning how to cook 8D

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a note! I hope you are doing well!

My friend code is SW-5350-5586-2033
    My IGN is foxwaffles and my avatar is currently a Goomba possessed by Mario

14. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'll try to remember to add you to my Switch friends this morning.

My FEH friend code is 9524955446.

foxwaffles likes this.
  15. MagicMatcher

MagicMatcher Sacred Life Cow <3

PADherder:
    link
    Congrats on graduating! Glad to see you're doing well and enjoying things, best of luck with everything and hope happiness will follow you wherever you go :D

16. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    foxwaffles likes this.
  17. nickjr

nickjr Pushbutton kouhai of whale senpais

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    HELLO THERE I AM LATE BUT IT IS GOOD TO HEAR YOU AND SEE YOU AND SMELL YO--uh I didn't mean to do that I swear I'm not that creepy

I wouldn't mind if this turned into a general life blog :D Whichever makes you happy!

foxwaffles likes this.
  18. foxwaffles

PADherder:
    link
    Ahhhh I missed you! *sends internet hugs*

Yes, I need to think more about how to make this blog more fun to read and stuff, maybe shorter posts, bring back formatting, stuff like that =^-^= (and I need to get off my lazy butt and draw)

nickjr likes this.
  19. foxwaffles

PADherder:
    link
    May 2017 Updoot

I am leaving in three days for CHINERRRRRRRR
    I haven't seen the bulk majority of my relatives-who-aren't-my-parents in 12 (!!!) years and my silly hubby is accompanying me and my sister and mom on the trip so it will be loads of fun!

If you'd like I can blast you all with food terrorism when I get back. To say that I am dieting now in anticipation of getting fat this month is a severe understatement. I've probably dropped almost 10 pounds and it's time to gain it all back, woah-ho!

I will be having free data courtesy of T Mobil but I expect data to be agonizingly slow plus I will be very very busy so I hope I can log in once a day to claim the daily rewards + other goodies, but if not I'll just have to steam in a pile of salt.

Once I get back it'll be a good chance for me to START FRESH and start building my online freelance career more~
    So hopefully you all are looking forward to when I revive this blog and its sister art blog! Big changes in store, I promise!

*scuttles off to frantically pack and be paranoid about all my skincare products being taken by a grumpy TSA guy just because they can even if it's under 3 oz I JUST DON'T WANT TO BREAK OUT ON THE PLANE OK*

nickjr, Arranging, Gig and 2 others like this.
  20. Kyrdrin

Kyrdrin Still surviving the non-IAP grind...

Good luck and have fun on your trip! :)

foxwaffles likes this.