Going to Japan next week and looking for suggestions!

Discussion in 'Q&A' started by tetsusaiga64, Jun 14, 2019.

1. tetsusaiga64

tetsusaiga64 Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'm spending a week in Tokyo and another in Osaka. If anybody has suggestions on places to check out in either city for PAD related swag or otherwise, please let me know! :D

2. sgt502

sgt502 ばかぷれーやー

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Akihabara. Not sure if there will be a pop up store while you're there but some reported they've found PAD merchandise scattered around Akihabara. Just gotta be on the lookout and search around.

tetsusaiga64 likes this.
  3. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn You can't take the sky from me. Staff Member

User ID:
    Check out some temples.
    If you want to be creeped out, check out the Yasakuni Shrine and accompanying war museum.
    Try to run into a Terrace House filming.
    Be ready for crazy heat in Tokyo. Or maybe it won't be bad in June.
    I hope you like fish.
    Seriously, though, get a guide book, or at least check out the top recommendations on Trip Advisor.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I don't know anything about PAD stuff there, but they have like official stores for merch I think, shouldn't be hard to find.

4. tetsusaiga64

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    @MisterDrgn No worries, other recommendations are appreciated as well! This'll be my second time going. First time was six years ago, and that time definitely I definitely used trip advisor to help plan my whole stay.

MisterDrgn likes this.
  5. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn You can't take the sky from me. Staff Member

User ID:
    Cool, have a good time. I visited Tokyo for a few days in mid-Summer (before a conference in Sapporo), and it was miserably hot, but it must be better in June. I think that was shortly before I got in PAD, sadly.

6. Efreet

Efreet Well-Known Member

User ID:
    302 818 310
    PADherder:
    link
    PM Reni for the pad related stuff.

MisterDrgn and tetsusaiga64 like this.
  7. Reni

Reni The mama

User ID:
    ᴺᴬ 315,091,284
    PADherder:
    link
    Looks like I was summoned - I know you PM'd me but I'll post it public for others to see too!

Soooo PAD goods, unfortunately, can be rare depending on what you're looking for. Basically GungHo hasn't made anything new that are non-figurines for years until the PAD Popup store last year, so what you'll see are things from 3-4 years back.

Now as far as the PAD Pop-up store goes - It was limited-time last summer, and there hasn't been signs of it returning. I haven't seen much goods from it resold in physical stores as well, but here are some of my posts if you're curious about the store: Round 1 / Round 2. Unfortunately GungHo Festival has ended a few weeks ago, and that's the only other place that sells most PAD official goods...

In terms of Tokyo, I've mostly found PAD goods in Akihabara and Nakano Broadway. A while back I did see select items (Tamazo plushies) at Tokyo station, but they have disappeared when I returned a few months back. From experience though, I find more PAD goods from Akihabara, but even then they aren't super common. Shall you get lucky, you'll find PAD figurines and maybe artbooks there. Here's a list of most figurines/artbooks if needed. Some shops, especially Mandarake, always have 1-2 PAD figurines around. Just be aware that shops in the area can get quite 18+, probably not too family-friendly unless your family is cool with it.

Bigger electronic stores like Yodobashi Camera / Bic Camera usually have a toys section, and they may still have some old PAD Trading Card Game (TCG) cards there sold for cheap. If you're into TCG, might be a good idea to look for them too. (Otherwise the TCG artbook is pretty darn good still, can likely find them in anime bookstores, maybe in Animate if you're lucky.)

Occasionally you'll see some PAD figurines at game centers (crane machines) too, but you'll have to be lucky to find them, and be lucky/strategic enough to win them.

Osaka's Nipponbashi Denden Town area (walking distance from the popular shopping districts) do have a bunch of shops as well, if Tokyo somehow fails you with PAD goods.

In general, just don't walk into store expecting you'll find Tamadra Infestation, lol. Hope it helps, I can try to answer questions if needed.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  8. tetsusaiga64

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Darn, guess I'll be scouring Akihabara. Good thing my cousin, who I'm travelling with, is also into PAD.

Reni likes this.
  9. Reni

Reni The mama

User ID:
    ᴺᴬ 315,091,284
    PADherder:
    link
    Don't go too early in the morning though, many places aren't open till the afternoon. :)

10. ko300zx

ko300zx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Sounds like a struggle to find anything! Here's the GH HQ address.

Pacific Century Place Marunouchi, 1-11-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-6221 Japan

I say you march in there and demand that YamaP show you where he's hiding all the PAD goodies.

11. tetsusaiga64

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I doubt they'd do/care much for a mostly non-iap PAD NA player knocking on their door.

Freddy likes this.
  12. tetsusaiga64

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    2 weeks in Japan, and 3 trips to Akihabara later and this is what I was able to find. The clear folders I randomly saw searching through a bargain bin outside mandarake for ¥100. Thanks again @Reni for the advice! I truly had to search high and low to even find this stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also saw some other stuff, but I'm not a huge fan of PADZ or Lilith in particular.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Reni and sgt502 like this.
  13. sgt502

sgt502 ばかぷれーやー

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    If I were you I'd buy all of them if I have the money. Who knows when you will have another chance at those...

14. tetsusaiga64

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    @sgt502 Yeah I ended up using pretty much all of the cash I brought for the trip. :rolleyes: If I saw anything more exciting than PADZ stuff I probably would've jumped on it. What I wasn't prepared for was all of the Pokemon centers tempting me to spend :misc12::misc12::misc12:.

15. Reni

Reni The mama

User ID:
    ᴺᴬ 315,091,284
    PADherder:
    link
    Yay! Glad you found some nice goods!! Cute folders though, I have the Ruby dragon one, and a smaller one. :D

Time to add that Lilith to the post too on my end!

16. kandjar

kandjar President of the Otaku Waifu Association

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Akiba (anime stores) for sure!
    Odaiba (giant gundam figure)
    Ghibli Museum (check for reservation)
    Evangelion store (not sure if it's still open, i heard rumor about it closing)