GungHo is adressing one of the 4 big problems with the L-shield awakening

Discussion in 'P&D Discussion' started by YamaKyu, Dec 31, 2018.

1. YamaKyu

YamaKyu Karin Kanzuki was a mistake. And I love it ♥

User ID:
    349-296-255
    But we aren't quite there yet. Far from it. But let's not ignore the fact that they're on a nice path so far.

You might not have seen it but I've made an extensive post on the forums 6 months ago about why I think the L-shield awakening sucks and how it can be easily addressed, and my argument can be summed up in 4 big points :
    • Desirable cards don't have L-Shields. By desirable I mean cards cards that are inherently desirable for the value they bring to the team by simply being in it (a card that has a niche AS that you'll use for a single challenge isn't considered desirable). In today's day and age that means cards that bring 7c, FUA, VDP, or something along these lines, also high collab prize, GFEs, etc.... The meta stuff.
    • L-Shielding is limited to Super Awakening. Which mean you have to trade another potentially great SA to get your L-shield. And more often than not this is a terrible trade : Mel can have a FUA via SA, or an L-shield, I wonder which one it'll be.... This is only an example among tons of similar situations. You might want to read the full thread to get why I really think this is a big problem.
    • L-Shielding actually sucks really bad as a feature. The reward/effort ratio is laughably terrible since you only get 5% per L-shield awakening (and you can't even make several L on the same turn to stack the shield), despite making an L being a very time and space consuming effort. I would argue GungHo seems to have a problem in general with the idea of reward/effort ratio (or reward/commitment) but that's my very personal opinion (and I ain't no game designer) ; however, I think L-shield is where this issue is the most visible.
    • We still don't have a single equip evo which brings L-shields awakenings. Pretty self-explanatory.
    You can go read the full thread if you're into that too, but really, these are the main 4 points I discussed.
    The good news is GungHo is addressing the first point (which is also the least important, and the easiest to address but let's not be picky) : they're making inherently desirable cards and granting them access to L-shield. Still through SA unfortunately but that's a step in the right direction I'ld say.

[​IMG]

Here are some desirable cards that have access to L-shield, and didn't 6 months ago :
    • Alphonse, from FMA collab. He's bind immune, brings 1 full sec of matching time and has a built-in FUA and a 7c, alongside 5k+ HP. His AS is a 50% shield + DKali board, which makes him a very nice light/green coverage option for rainbow teams.
      He also has access to guard break and a 2nd 7c.
    • Xmas Fagan, from Xmas REM. Very similar. Bind immune, +1 sec of matching, a 7c, Skill haste, an AS that makes a DKali board + gravity. Lower stats but that's a detail.
      He also has access to a 2nd 7c and a 3rd SB.
    • Pixel Mai Shiranui, from KoF collab. Not sure she's desirable in general, but she does have value with her combination of VDP + multi boost. She's also one of the rare relevant card to have a non-SA cloud resist. Also nice AS with a rare fire/light/water board change.
      She also has access to 10c and bind immunity.
    • Pralinae, from DBDC REM. Similarly, she might be inherently desirable, but were she shines she really does thanks to her double god and double devil killer.
      She also has access to a 3rd god or devil killer.
    • Best girl Planar, from Heroine REM. She has a FUA, a 7c, bind immunity and brings 1.5 secs of matching time, alongside a strong but very long dark/fire/heart board change. Also amazing 8K HP before plusses and LB.
      She also has access to VDP and a 2nd 7c.
    • Eir. Bind immune, 3 heart-TPA, 2 "50%HP or less" boost, and is a farmable dark card that can somewhat replace (not completely) Odindra. Very respectable.
      She also has access to tape resistance, and a 3rd "50%HP or less" boost.
    There're also NY Artemis and Kamimusubi, Xmas Romia and Yog, Halloween Myne, Mega Awoken Ryune and Sylvie, Beach Yog and Fujin. They might not be the bestest top tier cards, but they are inherently desirable, and they also have access to L-shield awakening. I call that addressing problem #1 yeah.

And there probably will be more in the future because I think this is becoming a trend. Which is nice.
    But at the same time it's sad because all these cards also have way better choices for their SA. So in the end, GungHo is adressing the issue #1, but it's quite pointless if they don't address #2 at the same time.

I might love the idea of including some L-shielding in my team, but I ain't removing Planar's VDP or Halloween Myne cloud resistance from my teams because these have way too much value compared to L-shield, and since it's tied to SA that's a trade I won't make.

So that's it. Not much more to say about it, it's a step in the good direction, but in the end addressing issue #1 is meaningless in itself because it's the smallest and least important part of the problem I think.

I hope GungHo will keep moving in this nice direction :>

Murdurus likes this.
  2. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Arguably, your third point is probably the biggest problem of them all: it simply isn't desirable to get/use because it just doesn't do enough. I don't really want to get into arguing which point is more important but you can look at it like if L-shield was good, like actually good, it would seriously make you reconsider whether or not say getting FUA is more important on that monster or if it might be a better option to find FUA elsewhere. Right now, however, there's no debate on whether or not it's worth it, the answer is always no.

I do agree with your post over all though, L-shield is just simply poorly thought out. No one, and I mean no one, saw that release of it and immediately thought to themselves, "I can't wait to have that". You have to commit 5 heart orbs for a measly shield, a shield that is probably only good for blocking 100% gravities which can be simply fixed by having rainbow resist latents.

3. ambiguous57

ambiguous57 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    This.

For me, all this stuff means is that there’s now a crap super awakening around more often for me to reroll.

BurningMan, YamaKyu and Trap like this.
  4. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Yeah, I think none of your other points are issues until the third is addressed. I'm rather glad we don't see L-shields around often, because they're a dead awakening slot as it is.

YamaKyu likes this.
  5. YamaKyu

User ID:
    349-296-255
    Exactly. If at the very least L-shield provided relevant shielding in itself (similarly to how you don't necessarily need several VDPs in a team, or how more than a single FUA is extremely super ultra niche as a feature, or how you only need one tape/cloud resist... but nah, L-shield needs several), it would make an option worth considering. But in it's current state it's a million times too much of a commitment for a non existent result. Definitely the biggest part of the problem.

Very true.
    Though, addressing #2 could make L-shield at the very least relevant as a niche (which it is not really rn). I mean, if we had cards with 3 L-shields awakenings built-in their set (similarly to how we have cards with 3 of anything else, be it offensive or defensive), that's already 15% shielding, which is the same as REvo Isis. And while her shield is irrelevant for the vast majority of this game's content, 15% shielding is the difference between my Planar team surviving Machine Goemon preemptive (63k), or dying from it, without having to rely on HP badge (since I need the +2secs badge).

Not relevant, but niche, at least.

Trap likes this.
  6. ambiguous57

ambiguous57 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Here’s how they could fix the L-Shield:

Convert it to a rainbow latent. 1% resistance for all colors.

Would still be pretty crappy, all in all, but I could envision a couple random niche cases where I’d like it.

xer 21 and YamaKyu like this.
  7. YamaKyu

User ID:
    349-296-255
    At least this way it would have a proper purpose :')