Haven't Played actively in quite a while, need advice

Discussion in 'P&D Discussion' started by Aegis24, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Aegis24

Aegis24 Member

To put the title in perspective the last time I was really active Reincarnated Pandora was a pretty popular leader (and my favorite) but now, she's not so good. Luckily I've been periodically logging in and collecting rewards so when I saw Ideal was available for a monster exchange I jumped on that (I traded in some Monsters I had no good setup for and a couple dupes). I got 2 Diamond Dragon Fruits and used one to Mega Awaken my Dkali but I really don't know what do with the other. My best options are DMeta, Reeche, Paimon, Baldin, Athena - Non, Hera - Luna, and Valkyrie - Ciel. I have decent setups for all of these. Right now I'm using Ideal with MA Dkali, Takamimusubi (For fire and water, best i've got right now unfortunately), Revo Indra (for damage reduction), and Ragnarok Dragon (orb change). I don't want to put too many resources into a team only for it to be bad so I'm trying to figure out where to focus from here.

2. Noc

Noc Active Member

User ID:
    Noc
    PADherder:
    link
    To start, welcome back! The best teams these days tend to combine combine tankiness (4x hp, occasionally rcv multipliers, shields that get triggered via a leader skill, etc.) and usually a powerful (at least 144x for two leads) leader skill that can be triggered on most boards without the use of an active. Unfortunately, both of Ideal's evos are too fragile to serve as effective leads for difficult content these days.

Because you're mentioning Ragnarok Dragon, Ideal and DKali, I'm guessing you may have been considering a rainbow team. But, Gungho introduced two really prevalent game mechanics, follow-up-attack and void damage penetration, that severely limit the effectiveness of rainbow teams:
    1) Follow-up-attack, AKA FUA (https://ilmina.com/#/AWAKENING/45): When enemies have resolve status, they're reduced to 1 hp rather than dying when you beat them in one hit. With FUA, you use a column of hearts to finish them off with an extra 1 hp of damage on the same turn. We rely on FUAs so frequently, that most of us have a card with FUA on every single one of our teams (note: you don't need more than one). Because FUA relies on a heart column, having 5 hearts and enough of every other color for a rainbow leader skill can be messy. FUA is even more problematic for row teams.
    2) Void damage penetration, AKA VDP (https://ilmina.com/#/AWAKENING/48): Voiding damage is an increasingly common mechanic in the most difficult dungeons in the game. When an enemy voids damage above a certain amount, say 1 million, any damage you do over that amount doesn't count. So if you hit for 4 million per card on your team, each of your cards hits for 1 million instead. Gungho introduced an awakening to counter that. You make a 3x3 box of orbs the same color as the card with the VDP awakening, and that specific card can then attacks for full damage on the same turn. The problem for rainbow teams, is that it's extremely difficult to get 9 orbs of the same color, while maintaining rainbow coverage to trigger one's leader skill.

Of the cards you mentioned, your strongest lead is DMeta (http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=4740). DMeta doubles your hp and gives you a 25% shield and 15x damage per lead when you hit 7 combos and have less than 80% of your hp. DMeta has the extremely powerful 7 combo awakening that doubles your damage when you hit for 7 combos. So with two of those, DMeta is personally hitting for 4 times her already sizeable attack multiplier. She also brings her own VDP awakening, and has an active that gives you a kill board and sets up a VDP (see above). DMeta is a difficult lead-you need to reliably hit 7 combos, watch your hp (needs to be under 80%, she has no recovery multiplier so healing back can be difficult, her sub-pool is pretty limited (gods only), and she has few subs with a lot of time extends (so you need to hit 7 combos fast). But, she can also beat any dungeon in the game with the right team. If you run DMeta with the cards you listed, something like:
    DMeta/Hera - Luna (low hp awakening version)/Valk Ciel/Revo Pandora/UEVO Paimon (off-type, but he has FUA)/friend's DMeta would be a strong start. If you happen to have Izanagi, I would consider running revo Izanagi because his active is ridiculously good on a DMeta team.

If you want to mix things up or just really feel like running a rainbow team, UEVO Reeche is a solid rainbow lead and isn't picky about her subs. Ideal is passable and easier to use, but also a little fragile. Mega Paimon is also a reasonably good lead, but he doesn't have FUA like his UEVO and you would need to make crosses to attack.

Hope this helps!

3. Aegis24

Aegis24 Member

Thanks for the breakdown, much appreciated! I had a feeling Dmeta would likely be my best choice. I figured Ideal would be a good start to get me back in the matching game but yeah rainbow leads have had it rough for a while now, but you’re right she’s quite squishy. I have Indra and I can even put in Kushi and Raphael for durability but you can only do so much with actives lol. Looks like I need a couple more diamond dragon fruits but I’m sure I can get those via Ideal. I wish I had izanagi but alas he has eluded me. I do have Durga but she’s Dark only enhancement. I have some direction now though, thanks again :D

4. Aegis24

Aegis24 Member

I was looking through my box and I have Cthuga and Trailokyavijaya for FUA and both are gods. If at some point I get Mega Awoken Scheat (just need another diamond fruit) she could work too. I have Dvalk for heart breaking

5. Noc

Noc Active Member

User ID:
    Noc
    PADherder:
    link
    Any god would be preferable to including Paimon off-type. I would just try different configurations until you find one you like. Some other good pantheon cards to consider include Revo Arch-angel Lucifer (http://puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=4265) and Revo Yomi (http://puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=3389). Lucifer has solid awakenings, and a nice active that gives a heart column, some dark orbs, and reduces your hp. He can also get a FUA through super awakenings (https://mantasticpad.com/2018/02/22/version-12-6-1-update-super-awakenings/) if you're in single player. I wouldn't jump into super awakenings until you have a few super snowglobes and a surplus of plus eggs. Yomi would just be a TE stick, so you could get away with not running Yomi if you're fast enough at moving orbs. Another popular DMeta sub is a farmable, Eir (http://puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=4635), who heals for a lot of hp when you match 4 heart orbs and hits really hard when you're at low hp.

6. Aegis24

Aegis24 Member

Man I’ve been chasing arch angel Lucifer forever with no luck and now I have another reason to need him lol. I farmed up a couple diamond fruits so I mega awoke my scheat. On paper she seems like a good leader but I’m not sure. I have a lot of water/fire types to work with and tons of orb changers. If nothing else she’s a decent DMeta sub for FUA

7. Noc

Noc Active Member

User ID:
    Noc
    PADherder:
    link
    Scheat works. When playing any lead, you look at the dungeon you're about to tackle and select your subs based on the roles you need filled to beat the dungeon and your own preferences. With DMeta, your team will look something like the following:
    DMeta lead: covers VDP, deals a ton of damage (7c awakenings). She also has a fantastic active for dealing lots of damage, losing some hp, and/or setting up a VDP.
    sub1: Healer/bind cleric->Eir.
    sub2: FUA for resolve->Lucifer, Scheat, Planar, Kami, etc.
    sub3: Extra Suicide active for getting into your damage sweetspot (under 80% hp)->Izanagi, etc.
    sub4: Flex slot. TE stick like Yomi, damage enhancement, combo boost (e.g. Morrigu or Khepri) to make sure you hit 7 combos with a VDP, another sub with VDP awakenings (e.g. Tokugawa Ieyasu), etc.

Note that some subs fill multiple roles, e.g. Eir for healer and bind clearing or Izanagi as a suicide active and damage enhance. Your best team will be a function of both the specific dungeon you're tackling and personal preferences. For example, I'm slow at matching and tend to favor very aggressive, high-risk builds that let me clear dungeons in as few turns as possible. So I frequently drop Eir when I can get away with it because she has no TEs and doesn't contribute a reasonable amount of damage unless I'm under 50% hp. I also have Izanagi who shows up in most players' optimal DMeta builds, but rarely end up running him either because I like to to have a combo boost for an especially dangerous floor with resolve or damage voids. I often find myself using something like: Mega DMeta/Mega Dmeta/Morrigu/New Years Yomi/Revo Luci w/FUA super awakening.

Resolves and damage voids are annoyingly common in difficult content, so whether or not you can build a team for a particular lead often ends up being function of having a fua, a VDP, and some solid subs to fill flex slots for whatever else you might need.

All else being equal, Scheat is not quite as good as DMeta. But, she's a very different playstyle, easier play, and can clear most dungeons in the game, so in your position I'd probably build a team for her anyway just to mix things up. If running Scheat, you don't need a FUA sub which is pretty convenient. Another bonus is that you can pair up with either a friend's Scheat or a friend's UEVO Madoo (http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=4411). With a Madoo friend you would have less hp, but gain VDPs (Madoo has two), easier healing (Madoo has an RCV multiplier), and more time (Madoo gives you extra matching time). Madoo currently has a 12x attack multiplier, but her upcoming buff will bump her from 12x to 15x. Note: Madoo's leader skill favors fire cards, so all your subs should have a fire main or sub-attribute if you team up with a friend's Madoo. By contrast, teams with two Mega Scheat leads often favor water subs (although fire is fair game).

8. Aegis24

Aegis24 Member

Thanks for the breakdown. I need Eir to come again it sounds like and I need to save stones for Lucifer. I’ve also been playing with DKali. I wish her sub pool wasn’t so poor because I like her damage control and burst potential