Hello everyone, how do I get better at this game?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Boosted Tyrone, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Boosted Tyrone

Boosted Tyrone New Member

I want to beat a few people the next time I go against them in a competition. (I'm looking at you, Flandre!) I want to know how to get better at this game. A few things that I want to work on would be increasing my combo count, setting up the board, and getting faster times on speed runs. Thank you for any advice!

Revelate and Flandre like this.
  2. jakko

jakko Combo noobster

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Keep working on ur teams in eec

Marioman95 likes this.
  3. Gargoyle242

Gargoyle242 Cunnin' Linguist

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Practice, practice, practice! Check PADX regularly for info on monsters and dungeons.

4. dms1485

dms1485 an old noob

User ID:
    Practice in a smart way. Know the skill you're trying to improve, then use it in every dungeon you go up against, as well as in Endless corridors. Watch videos and streams of the best players and do what they do - slow YouTube down to 1/4 speed if you have to.

Some current and former player names to search on forum, YouTube and Twitch that come to mind in addition to @Flandre (apologies in advance to those I've forgotten) are @Dubby, @tevvie, @Vorpal , @Amphora , @Xyu , TylerPad, @MagicMatcher , @eck , @luke_house , @Tiquity , @Cmpukahi , @jade , yukizgames, puzzledzzy, @Sleet

Check out the intro page of @Flaycrow 's blog under Rants and Accomplishments for pics of boards to achieve max combos, rows, tpas, and more. Other forum blogs to look at include @Nez , @win8x , @RageSedai @ainvar, @eck Non-forum blogs by @setsugetsuka Here are some links to some guides; but there are tons more.

first of 2
    txt here
    txt here
    old post with links

Hope this helps you some

Virtue and kiarahakura like this.
  5. I_Grok

I_Grok Comb the desert

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I would also recommend watching videos.

One of the resources I always end up going back to review are the patterns at this link: http://m.imgur.com/WOZDEIp

When practicing in endless, always try to bring as many fingers as you can, once you get used to seeing and matching all the patterns, you will naturally get faster.

Virtue likes this.
  6. Flandre

Flandre Scarlet Devil Staff Member

Who needs skill when you have 15 combo RNG on your side? :^)

As for how I improved I spent probably 2 months one summer just watching and rewatching Paprika/Reco/Dacho videos and studying how they identify patterns and approach board solving, then I just copied them. Now I study tevvie videos and this guy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCut4e1op47ibw2ZpBfu1eBQ/videos in hopes I can take my game to the next level.

I'm hoping to make time to start some kind of advanced combo tips series or something because a lot of people have asked me to teach them or asked for tips on how I got good at the game.

Boosted Tyrone and dms1485 like this.
  7. kumomo

kumomo Noob Staff Member

hmm that guy makes interesting combos

time to follow, i still watch pad video from time to time if it's interesting lol

dms1485 and Flandre like this.
  8. Boosted Tyrone

Boosted Tyrone New Member

I appreciate the advice! Thank you!

@Flandre If only I could control RNG skyfall! Also, I would definitely watch your videos when you get around making some.

9. PADBeginner

PADBeginner Member

User ID:
    PADbeginner
    PADherder:
    link
    How did you get that layout?

10. Gargoyle242

Gargoyle242 Cunnin' Linguist

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link