How do you justify your spending?

Discussion in 'P&D Discussion' started by beradin, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Fawcks

Fawcks Member

I'm a junky and I need my fix

(lol jk)

I've only spent 21$ on the game; 20$ I spent on Player's Choice Godfest because I said I would if they implemented the lolipop 5.0 fix within a week of my installing it (and they did!) and the other 1$ I spent for the 5 stone bundle.

Not that unjustifiable where I'm sitting, especially considering my spending money generally comes from overtime at work. I've currently spent less on this game than I make in an hour, so it's fine.

2. Vipsu

Vipsu ◕ ᴗ ◕

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I usually go with the 20€ one, so that's two days lunch worth on local restaurant or so (8-9€ usually)
    But there's nothing to justify really, buying a random digital monster cards is pretty stupid overall.
    But then again, there are worse places to spend money on.

3. Andy Wong

Andy Wong New Member

I'll pay anything for my waifus!

4. HeartlessIndigo

HeartlessIndigo Inactive Member

PADherder:
    link
    I don't spend, and I don't justify...

Though, Gadius might just make me...

5. IronH

IronH Paralysis by Analysis

With my income and how generous I have been for my family (and girlfriend), I deserve whatever perks I feel like to and can afford. That being said, I was at most light IAP even when I spent the most in PAD. I haven't spent a cent for almost a year now.

6. GravitySucks

GravitySucks New Member

I spend very lightly, maybe a little over $200 in a year and a half. Mostly stones for stamina refills if I really want to run a dungeon over and over or if there's an egg machine that I really want to hit paydirt on. Otherwise, I'm OK with slumming around without a lucifer/ronia/whatever is the next big thing until I get it. I make enough to pay the mortgage, car payment, and have some fun, so $10-20 a month isn't a big deal for me when I usually forgo heading to the bars, and the woman and I tend to enjoy cooking something fancy at home instead of going out and blowing twice that much elsewhere for something that might not taste as good. Aside from crab leg night at the local Chinese buffet. Damn I love some buttery crab legs.:D

7. rumple

rumple aka smrtpn

And the price is so damn compelling too for all that crab, just saying.

8. Dando

Dando Well-Known Member

I buy 85 packs of stones but would never buy a game for $60 full price except for extremely rare situations. The only game I'll actually buy new this year will be bloodborne, which is an expensive game when you factor in the cost of the ps4 I need to buy to play it, but in general I think I enjoy an 85 pack more than whatever the flavor-of-the-month AAA game of the week is. Thinking I'll blow an 85 pack on this godfest tbh just because I'm bored and it is a water gala and I want more U&Y's and an Andromeda so badly.

I'm getting older though so that is probably the reason. It's easier to just keep playing pad than to commit a bunch of time to a new game. Also I think it's crazy to buy PC games at release because if you wait a few months you can get everything for radically lower prices.

And luckily I don't justify my spending to anyone. I just... spend some money now and then. Not a big deal.

9. GravitySucks

GravitySucks New Member

Oh yeah, $12 for all the crab you can eat. Even being dungeness, it's well worth it if you come hungry.

10. rumple

rumple aka smrtpn

I have the exact same sentiment regarding most games now-a-days. Honestly with AAA games, most of them feel generic, and I get the feeling of "I've already been there done that" a lot. Pad almost feels like a tetris to me, I don't really get sick of it.

Plus they got me hooked at the collecting aspect, gotta pull that lottery dragon's arm.

11. beradin

beradin The cYNic

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Alright, I am not going to quote everything.
    But it seems the general consensus is that if you enjoy, you pay.
    Fair enough.
    But I just can't hold off this dirty feeling that this is like gambling and exploit on addiction.
    Maaaaybeee I am thinking too much.

@Efreet: I think you rephrase my question perfectly.

@Dando: I bought PC game on launch to support dev (at least how i justify). Otherwise, go to steam.

12. Dando

Dando Well-Known Member

Well if you roll the REM it is gambling but gambling can be fun. I don't think I'm abusing it or addicted to gambling money in the REM and I still spend some money on it now and then. Spending stones on stamina is the most fun and least-gambly way to play though. I never feel bad about the stones I convert into +eggs.

13. kumomo

kumomo Noob Staff Member

No one can justify their spending aside of themselves

Everyone here is living in a different country, different city, different living conditions, different sense of satisfaction.

Is paying for digital product dumb? i can also claim buying overprice speaker system, head phones, video cards, monitors, etc etc are not worth the extra dollars, for the extra fps? for the better audio quality?

We are all types of gamer here, some are still in high school, some in university or post-grad, some are already working for a few years out of their education, some have already establish themselves in their field of work, some might have their own business, some might be still single, some might have a children or 2. Some might have a bigger family burden, some don't, getting married at different age could effect your career, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way.

There are people who are satisfied are using public transport, some must get their own car, some enjoys dining outside, some enjoy cooking their own food, some chase for the best brands for furniture, some just think as long as it's useable it's fine.

Everyone has different mindsets, so everyone has a different concept of savings and spending. Some people are lucky to buy an apartment/house when the market was cheap, some might help on downpayment from parents, not everyone is chasing for the same dream.

Ok talking from a guy's perspective
    how much do you spend on clubbing, dating per month? now going into some nsfw territory, how much do you spend on those? Ok your outgoing, how much do you spend on yearly trips? or gas fees traveling around places.

Or if your a girl, how much you spend on cosmetic? online shopping for clothing? or many useless household product as they are on a good bargain? (this applies for some husbands as well).

The only reason why spending on digital stuff is bad, is because they retain no value, really? a meal is just a meal, a trip is just a trip, we all enjoy it, that's why we spend on it, we can't redeem any value out of it. The thing is we are spending on entertainment, it's really up to the person to say if he really like it or not, it's just like paying for a "service" that is not satisfying.

If you are essentially spending extra on PAD while keep on spending how you use to, if you do personally have the disposal money to use, it's fine, if you are over spending then that's bad. If you are spending money that you can't effort to spend, now that's when people have the right to tell you that you are wrong. If you cut back expense and spend it on PAD, that's perfectly fine since you are going to spend that money on some other useless stuff anyways (for me it's console gaming, "service", actual manga booklet, clubbing, expensive meals).

This game is not f2p, but it's not totally p2w, which is the wrong concept, as much money you can spend on the game, it still requires you to exactly spend time on playing this game, if you don't ur just a dumb ass whale that spends for no reason. (that's how my friends put on it)

There are hidden whales in this forum that probably spends as much as i do (which is around the amount top rankers in NA), that can not achieve what we can do, for comparsion me and unknown_pc spend roughly the same amount, but i have a bad luck on the rem, his luck is better in a way, he can spend the extra money on rank farming and + farming (he does spends more time on the game compare to me)

even if i look back on my total spending, and dividing by the time i spend on the game, it's actually fine, i can spend do exactly spend that same amount monthly for useless junk anyways. If i spend the same amount with half the time i spent now that i would feel guilty since that's overspending my savings/entertainment.

14. Machius

Machius Machiavellian Manipulator

User ID:
    For me it comes down to asking myself - "what can I afford to spend on hobbies in general?" and then "how much of my hobby budget am I willing to spend on PAD?"
    As long as the amount I spend on PAD never exceeds my hobby budget and I am enjoying the game without having negatively affected my enjoyment of my other hobbies I'm fine with spending money on PAD.

While I wouldn't spend as much as I have on PAD for a single video game or even a subscription to an online game, I tend to relate my PAD spendings to that of my most expensive hobby - Magic: the Gathering. Paying for REM rolls in PAD feels a lot like buying Boosters/Boxes of MTG. Sure I can't resell my PAD monsters (not legally and not without quitting anyway) like I can MTG cards, but I only spend a fraction of the amount i've spent on MTG playing PAD and I have opportunities to play PAD every day as opposed to physically playing MTG which most of the time I can do only a couple of times a week.

15. Enki

Enki Electric Chinese Batman

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'm simply thinking: Time spent = Money worth spending. It also depends on my financial situation, but I'm quite okay, so spending some money here and there on something I've spend and plan to spend a lot of time will never be a waste.
    I don't buy much games this day, as I don't own a PS3/4 - Xbox1 (No game that I'm interested in) and my Wii-U is patiently waiting for the next Zelda, while I occasionally play Smash Bros. On Pc, I usually buy all the games I want when there's a promotion. Lastly bought Valkyria Chronicles for 6 bucks, and will probably never buy a game full price. Even more when I see games such as The Order released for 60$ and giving 3 hours of gameplay.
    So yeah. I'd rather spend 60$ on something that is fun that on something that will probably last 4 - 10 hours at most, giving me mixed feelings. (My last game I bought full price was Dark Souls 2. It was worth it, but I don't see any games that has its replayability, fun and lenght.)

16. HowardC

HowardC Big Spender

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I earn enough to just spend whatever amount at whatever I want.
    If I can sink tens of thousands of euros into a watch (which admittedly will always be some sort of investment), then why not a few thousands into a game?

17. Avelarius

Avelarius Symmetric Synergy a subsidiary of Massive Dynamics

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Haven't spent any money on it yet. But I will, eventually.

To give something in return for all the fun I am having.

Not that I need, because chasing and managing free stones is part of my fun.

This game puts no pressure at all at spending money. All the pressure is self imposed by personal goals.

18. HowardC

HowardC Big Spender

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I wish I had your patience and strength of will! :D

19. Chocomos

Chocomos Four,Five,Four,Two,Two

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I spend as I see fit..

Until I make a thread for every mon in R&A that has reached trash status

Threads about completing a trash pile truly mean R&A as it combines both a rant and an accomplishment