How does device changing work?

Discussion in 'Q&A' started by xer 21, Aug 20, 2017.

1. xer 21

xer 21 Mathematically the Worst Player on the Forums

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    If i "change devices", can i associate my pad account with a different google account? and can i then redownload it back on my main device, associated with that different google account?

I want to IAP but i cant because i first downloaded this game on my .edu account.

does anyone know how this works?

2. kiarahakura

kiarahakura One Piece Collab

User ID:
    311 462 320
    PADherder:
    link
    I think according to the mail they sent out, if you select "Change Device" from the menu it will give you a code to put into the new device. So the google account shouldn't matter and you should be able to just transfer your pad game? o_O However I have never done this myself so I'm not 100% sure.

3. sgt502

sgt502 ばかぷれーやー

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Are you using Android on your current device and plan on using it on your new device? If so, you can root your old and new device, install titanium backup, backup your PAD on your old phone, use your new device, install titanium backup and restore PAD. I used to change ROM back then and I never lose any of my progress.

Don't know about the "official" way as I never done that, but I heard if you follow the instruction very carefully there shouldn't be any problem.

4. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Device change just issues a code that you then put in on the new device to get the account. I would imagine you could do it to change the Google account, since I've done it changing between Apple IDs and I imagine it's pretty similar.

Vaedriel likes this.
  5. Vaedriel

Vaedriel Lost in the Shadows

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I did a "device change" for my Alt, moving it from an iPhone to an iPad. Just like @Trap said, you get a code to move it. It works like a charm. However you can only do it once per game ID. Or that was what I was told a year ago.

Trap likes this.
  6. kaylathehedgehog

kaylathehedgehog Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Only once per ID? So if I were to get a new phone, I'd have to either start a new account on it, or keep my old phone, since I've already changed devices once already? Seems kind of stupid, if you ask me.

7. wilk

wilk Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I've not tried it yet, but will likely be doing it soon (should be getting a new phone sometime in sept most likely)...Perhaps the once per game ID mean is more about how many times you can use that specific code? I agree that some people change phones fairly often to keep up with technology...such people would need to move the ID often as well.

8. kaylathehedgehog

kaylathehedgehog Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I do hope so.

9. BurningMan

BurningMan Dropping the green Bomb

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    You can only use the code you issued once, but you can issue an infinite amount of codes.

kaylathehedgehog and Murdurus like this.
  10. xer 21

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    i'd really like to avoid rooting my phone. and the tablet in question isnt even mine, its my parents. i was just going to borrow it to switch accounts to i can actually buy stones during FF.

im not actually going to remove it on my old phone, i just want to swithc google accounts.

11. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    From what I understand, the Google account that you use doesn't matter. You could, from what I understand, transfer your account using your Google account but it is not the only way to do it. The other way to do it is using device change and they issue you a code and you input that same code when you load up your new PAD game. I'm almost certain that your Google account has nothing to do with PAD.

Also, you can use device change more than once, you are just limited to using the issued code once. Just make sure you don't get a code issued until you are ready to re-install as the code only lasts for 24 hours from what I remember.

12. Squeegee

Squeegee Active Member

You can have device change code issued anytime but can only change device once every 30 days. Once the code is issued,you have to use it within a certain time. You need to request a new one once it expires. You can keep requesting codes until you uses it.

tanpopo and Sparkle like this.
  13. tanpopo

tanpopo adventure!

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    So you're unable to associate a payment method with your current google account? I have a .edu google account and it still lets me buy stuff with a credit card. But maybe it depends on the organization it comes through. If it won't let you associate a payment method to your current account, you could try making a new google account and adding it to your phone. It might let you just play your same PAD game on the new account, but if not you should be able do a "device change" to switch the game to your new account.

As @Squeegee said, if you transfer to your parents' tablet you can't transfer it back for another 30 days, so that's probably not a great solution.

14. xer 21

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    mine doesnt. i talked to the school. they cant unlock it either. i graduated like 2 and a half years ago, lol.

tried that, it doesnt work.

15. xer 21

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    update

worked like a charm, i can IAP now! just in time for FF!