How much harder is playing on an ipad compared to playing on a phone?

Discussion in 'P&D Discussion' started by Ultraduck, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Ultraduck

Ultraduck Member

User ID:
    Many people say playing on an ipad is harder because it is bigger. I have been playing on an ipad for over a year now and would like some perspective on this.

2. Ovine

Ovine A Sheep

User ID:
    318,472,268 (NA) 255,394,397 (JP)
    PADherder:
    link
    I've got an account each on a tablet and a phone for a long time now, and I prefer having it on a tablet from a visual/gameplay perspective- the latest manifestation of which is an iPad. I think there's an argument that can be made from a connectivity perspective, since if you're on a phone you can probably play PAD off the mobile data in areas without wifi and... you can't do that on the tablet, but I'm going to focus on the other points because I think that's more on-point in this thread.

While there is indeed more distance to cover while moving orbs, I feel like that's a negligible cost once you're used to it? And it might make diagonals easier since the orbs are also bigger and therefore diagonal vs. horizontal motions are more clear-cut. That, and you can actually see the color of the orb you're moving since your finger/the stylus isn't going to cover it all the way.

And the artwork is bigger! That's always a plus.

The only complaint I have specifically on the iPad is that PAD doesn't cater to its aspect ratio, so it's not making full use of the screen space and that's ...kind of annoying.

Ultraduck likes this.
  3. Ultraduck

Ultraduck Member

User ID:
    My ipad crops put the start menu so I end up looking at a bunch of torsos. It only works on my phone.

4. Yani NP

Yani NP Believe in the heart of the skyfall Gods!

User ID:
    It's actually easier to play on an iPad for me.

らぶたん and Ultraduck like this.
  5. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I have found, in my experience playing over a year on each kind of device, a phone to be easier to make quick and smooth movements on, but it's negligible until you get to be clearing the board on every turn anyway and are trying to shave off seconds or fully optimize boards. Not a big deal at all.

Ultraduck likes this.
  6. FoxtrotFool

FoxtrotFool Well-Known Member

It’s possible that iPad needs longer movements, so you don’t do as well in ranking dungeons. Otherwise it’s not a big deal.

I have both and aside from having to find wfi, it’s not a big deal

7. HappyNoms

HappyNoms Ogliarchial collectivist

PADherder:
    link
    My experience is the opposite.
    Main on iPad, alt on iPhone, daily on each over a year since alt got made.
    They're close, but IPad feels a solid 10%-ish better.

You can be high velocity for a short time on a phone, but you can't as easily be high velocity for a medium to longish time, particularly if something gets complex with partial retraces, or involves working under blinds, or under blinds and watching real time the slight flash of colors. Or just requires combing out a 6x7 board towards 15 combos with most of a clock.

Phones I move mostly by memory of what the board looked like when I started and will look like, because your finger covers up so much of the god damn real estate, it can be hard to see things like color flashes from under blinds while moving, or fixing mistakes, or having to assess a large 6x7 board about halfway through full-ish solving it because 42 orbs is a lot to do by pure memory.

My higher velocity is by far the iPad.
    Ranking is weird though, as often you want 1 combo, or are exclusively solving boards blitz fast in one motion predominantly by pure memory / plan worked out during floor transitions. Tracks towards where an ideal run you could basically do all the board if they were full blind during motion and only visible between floors, imho.

That said, 99% of regular puzzling it's not usually raw velocity per se that is the deciding factor in a run. Usually velocity/mechanics are about 5th or so behind strategic decisions and choice of how to solve the board and team composition and use of actives, etc...

FoxtrotFool and Ultraduck like this.
  8. Flandre

Flandre Scarlet Devil Staff Member

I've been playing on an iPad for over 4 years and I find it very easy and natural. It's extremely difficult for me to play on a phone and I play a lot slower and less accurately. I have two alts, one on an iPhone 4S and one on an iPhone 7 Plus, and both screens feel too small for me.

Based on how poorly a lot of players perform at Gungho's booth at conventions like PAX and Anime Expo where they have iPads set up, I'm willing to bet that iPad is a lot more difficult for a majority of players, especially if they're a thumb player.

HappyNoms and Ultraduck like this.
  9. FoxtrotFool

FoxtrotFool Well-Known Member

This is well said. I think my experience on faster run and clear is purely rank dungeon for myself.

I also play on both iPad mini and a 9.7 in iPad, and bigger isn’t necessarily better. For rank dungeons when you don’t often use up the entire menu movement time.

But for typical dungeons, velocity doesn’t matter.

10. Flandre

Flandre Scarlet Devil Staff Member

There's a JP player who pretty frequently gets top 3 or close to top 3 scores in ranking dungeons regularly and I know he plays on an iPad, so it's definitely possible to get really high scores, but it always feels like no matter how fast I feel I'm moving on the iPad, it's still not fast enough.

11. Cheeseghost

Cheeseghost Lazyyyyy

User ID:
    I have the note8 and my screen is huge...I mean not ipad big but still awesome...but alas I use my thumb...I can't imagine using my pointer finger...and I lost my stylus in the couch lol

Ultraduck likes this.
  12. Hansey

Hansey Casual scrub since February 2013

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I suspect what people think is easier is going to depend on which was the first device they played the game on. I started my PaD career, and still have my main on my iPad 2 Air. I have never struggled with it. Sometime later I created an alt account on my Android phone, and to this day, I still feel like I play worse on it.

Ultraduck likes this.
  13. awkward.fistbumps

awkward.fistbumps semi-retired from pad. Full stam most days

PADherder:
    link
    I started on an iPad and then switched to phone after a few months since I started taking the game more seriously and I needed to play faster. At the time I thought it was easier to play on the phone if you have a stylus since flicking your wrist is better than moving your entire hand. Now with time extends being available left and right and more mechanics going against the “on the fly” players like myself, more players are thinking about their move before picking up that orb. Of course after coming back from a break I am now a 4 combo in 8 seconds player once more so I think I’d perform similarly between the iPad and the iPhone currently.

14. Pigeon

Pigeon Active Member

I've played on an iPad the whole time I've played PAD, and if it's meant to be harder then I must be amazing on a phone. :D Only tried one ranking dungeon on my NA account so far and got 6.2%-lack of stones for stamina refills or not having exactly the right cards holds me back more than time or other issues. I get 7 min and 8-9 combos average