I Actually Miss Powercreep, WTF?

Discussion in 'P&D Discussion' started by Knomraski, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Knomraski

Knomraski Bowl of Herp

Diablos has been the game’s apex predator and has dominated the tier lists for basically a year now. New subs, particularly those with double/triple 7Cs and double/triple killer awakenings, have kept powercreep chugging along, but there hasn’t been a significant increase in leader powercreep for quite a while.

Cards like Yog, Kami, Enra, Ideal(s) and Tardis have kept things interesting and added a little variety to the gameplay, but I actually kinda miss good, old-fashioned powercreep.

I miss meaningful new content even more, but that’s a subject for another thread (or this one, whatever).

2. Fridgeboy

Fridgeboy Active Member

User ID:
    336 207 472
    I must have a terrible enra team because I get my ass kicked so often in 3p mythic plus that I don't take her anymore.

Is tardis that strong?

3. xer 21

xer 21 Mathematically the Worst Player on the Forums

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I wouldnt take either into 3p but for regular solo/coop both Enra and Tardis are very interesting. Tardis has a lot of creative things you can do with him as a lead. he's a free 10x lead, every turn.

4. FoxtrotFool

FoxtrotFool Well-Known Member

Tardis is 10x with a huge HP tank, but the team build is limited to green, and preferred to be green/blue (or blue/green)

5. HappyNoms

HappyNoms Ogliarchial collectivist

PADherder:
    link
    Tardis has lousy damage output for 3p.

Try Enra as a sub on a high damage lead team.
    It's as effective as leading Enra without any of the conditional hp problems.

6. HappyNoms

PADherder:
    link
    They need a reverse combo absorb. Absorbs damage if you make more than 6 combos. And yet the opponent still has halfway decent hp that you won't be chipping to victory with x1 to x6.

That'd give most of the 6x7 leads conniptions, while not strictly speaking being impossible to jam in with multiple gravity or some painful forcing nonsense.

Powercreep moved from leads to sub checks the last half a year+, Fujin, pixels, FUA, box, triple killers, etc. I guess it will get back to leads eventually, but theyve painted themselves in enough of a damage range design constraints corner without adding another zero for billions of powercreeped damage.

I'd like to see them go along a new axis, like leads that boost your subs to new heights to make composition choices matter more, or require multilevel cascade to trigger leader ability, or care about move path count. Open up some new novel playstyle territory, horizontally in the design space, rather than just add a zero style powercreep to the sky.

xer 21 likes this.
  7. xer 21

xer 21 Mathematically the Worst Player on the Forums

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    indeed. It's kinda more obnoxious, because with lead based power creep, they couldnt get too wild as the leader skills really only manipulate 4 variables: attack, health and RCV as well as attacking orbs.

the sub checks really hit specific subs and too many of them are 6 star GFEs or high collab rolls. you need a very diversified box to reliably attack all of the mechanics.

tanpopo and kaylathehedgehog like this.
  8. HappyNoms

PADherder:
    link
    In theory this is good, because it can put the puzzle into puzzle and dragons.

In practice, it is better when you have the puzzle pieces, and are trying to work out how to open some japenses wooden puzzle box, or solve a chess position forced mate, or whatever. As opposed to having a puzzle and some of the puzzle pieces are just missing.

It's the difference between feels good design that is actually clever, and feels bad design that is just blatent pay-to-win dressed up with a thin puzzle veneer.

Not having FUA but working around it with gravity, or not having either but using a Raphael immunity, or a counterattack creatively is fine. Having the pieces doesn't mean necessarily having the most convenient of all solve paths and pieces.

But when it's HeraDra says have Fujun or go autoloss screw yourself after playing 15-20 minutes, or some C10 says deal 300m F1 first turn after a 5 turn SDR preemptive, that's more the pay-to-win missing puzzle pieces feels bad.

You would think this is elementary basic design that companies would grasp, but they manage to do a surprising amount of chaotic making shit up and randomly hoping something is good, than actually using good design principles and guidelines, whether it's new leader skills or PEM lineups or descend design. Or at least it seems so.

Is PaD actually well designed, or is it just there were 10 companies making games, all chaotically, and PaD was the randomly good one that got lucky, and has been fumbling along ever since more or less quasi-randomly introducing cards and mechanics on to what foundationally was a very good, but also lucky, base design of matching orbs and using actives.

Idk. Makes you wonder sometimes. Its hard to comprehend how anyone actually straight up genius enough to design the base foundation by skill rather than luck, would then go so clumbsy random in various updates, making me think that original design was simply as much lucky as skillfully intentional.

It's not productive to throw shade though.
    Game is still fun. I just have to not look too closely at the design.
    Helps that I modestly small whaled a bit years back however.
    And that I just can't be cared to bother if a descend is too misdesigned and skip it.

There's a lot of latent opportunity waiting in the design space.
    I hope they find it, but even if they don't the foundation will be remembered and incorporated into successors and other games and so forth, as the arc of gaming is long but gradually bends towards good design.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 3:54 PM