I like this game. But I want to stop playing it.

Discussion in 'Rants and Accomplishments' started by Nemesis, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Nemesis

Nemesis Bastet's BFF

I've been playing Puzzle and Dragons for about one and a half years. It's been a very enjoyable experience, generally speaking - making my way with Bastet at my side has been a joy. Making friends, rolling subs, and lapping up news as my favorite leader became the queen of the world is all fun, and there's no reason to stop now that I didn't have before. If anything, my account is better than ever - I've gotten super lucky and pulled a bunch of wonderful subs for Bastet, including a brand new Meimei (thank you so much, PCGF!), Verdandi, Parvati, and Perseus, as well as my less well known but no less useful cards like Leeza and ADK and the ever reliable Cu Chulainn. I have a huge and useful friends list, my combo skill is alright, and I'm making good progress. Life in PAD is just peachy~

No doubt you've been waiting for the "but", of course. And it has nothing to do with the game, but with me. I'm not bored, unsatisfied, or tired of it, but nevertheless I want to stop. I have an addictive personality, which thankfully doesn't manifest with drugs or alcohol or food or spending money. What I do is play video games and waste time on the internet when I'm fully aware that there are other things I could spend time on that would be more meaningful and satisfying. Puzzle and Dragons isn't the worst of those things, but it's the easiest to part ways with.

Like most addictions, it's a lot more difficult to leave this game than I'd think. There are so many ways to falsely rationalise the time I spend on it, but the most pressing one - which ultimately thwarted me in my earlier attempt to stop playing - was the question of my friends list, especially the 16 still active best friends who've come to me. A majority of my friends added me for my hypermaxed Awoken Bastet, who now has full fire resist on top of her stats and skill levels (sorry, dupe Zuoh), and I've always liked the idea of being a help to others - of being that one really strong Bastet friend who plays every day and always has her up. That's a big reason for why I'm still playing, and a pretty strong deterrent for stopping. And I've sunk so much time and, I'll admit it, emotional attachment that I can't coldheartedly sell everything. But I also can't just log in every day. That doesn't work, and I know I'll spend just as much time refreshing these forums and looking at stupid PADX comment sections and theorycrafting teams as I did before.

You've all been very good to me. But I want to leave everything behind - that's one reason for why I refrained from getting too close to anyone here, I suspect. And the best way I can figure to do this is to give control of my account to someone who shares my sentiments but not my priorities, and will hopefully keep my Awoken Bastet up for others to enjoy. But I don't know how to find that person, either, or whether it's even legal to discuss such a thing here. Any help would be appreciated, in truth, whether publicly or otherwise.

I don't know how to end this, but I suppose that the least I could do is give thanks. Thank you to anyone who was ever kind to me here, and thank you to anyone who was honest even if they weren't nice. I don't think that I can stay and still be productive and content with what I'm doing - so let's part on good terms. -w-

2. hoyun

hoyun Well-Known Member

I wonder how has this game taken up all your time? I am at 264 stamina right now on my NA account, and in 5 descend/weekday farming runs I was out of stamina for the day, that's like 20-30 minute at most. I just don't understand how is this having any effect on your life that you need to move away from?

3. Nemesis

Nemesis Bastet's BFF

Obsessive checking of these forums, PADGuide, and PADX, coupled with actually playing the game, amounts to at least an hour of free time every day, usually several more. I love reading books and writing, and there's so much I want to learn and do. Those are hours that I'd like to have back, if I can - I only get so much time in this life.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    recife, dms1485, David@PF and 5 others like this.
  4. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Man, do I ever sympathize with this thread. I just had my most productive day in PAD recently, evolving Bastet, I&I, and Shiva to their respective Awoken forms in the same day AND taking Verdandi from base form to UEvo in the same 24-hour span. In one day, my PAD prospects changed considerably. I feel like so much more content is within my grasp now.

But let's be real: We're all going to die some day and I don't think any of us are going to say, "I wish I'd played more PAD."

Please don't misunderstand. I enjoy PAD. I don't plan on quitting. But I have to be very careful during this season of life to not allow PAD the same influence over my time and mind I allows it previously. I have some powerhouse leads now, but I still don't plan on striving for C10 or Arena or anything high-level like that. I'm okay with being semi-casual.

There are sticky issues involving the PAD Terms of Service and gifting accounts, but I think you're at least facing the right direction if you've recognized you would be better off quitting and you're prepared to do so.

I continue to wrestle with how much time I spend on mobile games, so trust that you're not alone. I understand that the activity surrounding the game--the forums, PDX, PADherder, theorycrafting, Twitch streams, etc.--can take up way more time than actually playing the game. I felt like I had achieved some kind of equilibrium after I resigned myself to the fact that I'd taken my LMeta team as far as I could and I wouldn't aggressively farm +eggs or get upset about REM pulls.

Now comes a new challenge--having new "toys" and having the good sense to know when to put them away.

I'll be praying that you find peace in whatever decision you reach and your choice will lead and allow you to focus on the most important things in your life. :)

(I certainly wouldn't be offended if people prayed the same prayer for me. :))

STT, Zaurora, dms1485 and 4 others like this.
  5. Empyrean Nikkou

Empyrean Nikkou In REM hibernation.

User ID:
    337455342 / Vigdis
    PADherder:
    link
    I can really empathize with this, Nemesis. I don't think I have an addictive personality, but I do often find myself spending time on things of lower priority than I should. I guess it's because the thing in question is a game, one that's relatively easy to start and play before putting it back down, as opposed to other things that demand more of my (admittedly-limited) mental faculties. I'd love to write stories, make music, videos and/or comics, as well as other things that could be considered more productive and worthwhile, but I end up doing things of a less active nature.

Well, at the very least, if you can't find it in yourself to quit, at least manage when and how long you play it. Perhaps, with that exercise in control, quitting could become easier/possible. Or, maybe, it won't be such a detraction in your life.

Either way, good luck. I hope you get to spend more time doing the thing(s) you desire to do most.

David@PF, Albireo and Nemesis like this.
  6. Nemesis

Nemesis Bastet's BFF

Congrats on making so much progress, and thank you for the insights, thoughts and prayers. I'll try to keep all of that in mind - hope that you find and maintain your own balance. c:

I don't know much of anything about you, admittedly, but I do know that doing anything of high value takes lots of effort. Whatever it is that you manage, I'm sure that it will be worth the struggle. ^_^

I don't think that I can control myself or my time right now, so I either quit with a bang or quit with a whisper. Thanks for the warm wish~

David@PF, Tek7, Nachtmacher and 3 others like this.
  7. Tachii

Tachii Scrubby Sauce

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    The thing you need to know is, PAD is meaningful and satisfying for you. You chose to do this when you probably had others things more pressing to do (work? school?) But those things just aren't that important to you. I'm currently doing that right now, posting on this forum than writing my paper that's due in like 5 hours. But I know myself. I hate writing that paper, and balancing it (however procrastinated I have pulled on this paper) with PAD actually gives me some sanity to finish writing the paper.

I think it's easy for other people to tell you you're addicted at this game. But the other way to look at it is that you enjoy doing this much more than you enjoy doing things that others are telling you as "more productive" things. In the end, yeah, you probably could do something more productive, but I don't think stopping altogether what you enjoy doing is a good way to go. Perhaps you need to write yourself a schedule on when to do things, sort out priorities and gradually decline your time with PAD.

Even if you leave PAD, there will always be different things that's meaningful and enjoyable for you that other people will tell you "it isn't productive." As an occupational therapist, I can tell you that leisure activities such as PAD is important. You do need to find whatever balance is for you, but my professional opinion is a sudden leave of absence isn't effective or healthy compared to a gradual one.

inb4 tl;dr & being too late lol

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Zaurora, Rizu, David@PF and 3 others like this.
  8. pomme

pomme Active Member

All games will have addictive elements. Unless you're quitting games in general, you will end up typing this essay for your next game, and the game following that one.

Play the game you like, this game will keep changing, you don't need to always be a part of the meta.

Nemesis likes this.
  9. KeViN

KeViN Well-Known Member

User ID:
    The worse way to end an addiction is to stop abruptly. My advice is to slowly decrease your play time over a couple weeks. All the best dude.

Nemesis likes this.
  10. TheLetterL

TheLetterL ............

PADherder:
    link
    Wow, this thread kinda hit my feels a bit. Having a addictive personality and going through addiction before. I'm not going to sadden the thread with my stories. But a tip for getting over any addiction is to have a reason your passionate about for stopping. Personally, I found stopping because "I should stop" made it very hard for me to stop at all because there was nothing there for me when I stopped. It will also give you a reason not to go back when you feel urges. An addiction to PAD isnt as serious as a lot of things. But I still feel you.

Godspeed, @Nemesis

[​IMG]

dms1485, Nemesis and Tek7 like this.
  11. brouxhaha

brouxhaha Dream Killer

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I sometimes feel like this. I used to play console games all day some weekends if I was home, and PAD has essentially replaced my console gaming for now.

One thing I take solace in: playing a game that takes brainpower and puzzle solving helps my brain stave off future dementia.

dms1485 and Nemesis like this.
  12. calgaryxtc

calgaryxtc Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    well, a hobby is a hobby...
    if I don't play this, I'll probably be doing something even more expensive and time consuming.
    ah well...

13. Orree

Orree A day late and a combo short...

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    @Nemesis You sound a lot like me (addictive personality, but not towards drugs or alcohol, but rather towards hobbies/entertainment). It hasn't driven me to feeling like I need to or want to quit, yet (still having too much fun), but I do notice myself planning my day around how to maximize the use of my natural stamina (sometimes staying up later or getting up earlier than I really want to) or working out how I can make that next stone purchase seem more rational. This feels kind of weird to me and I'm always laughingly embarrassed to admit it to people I know.

In the end, you gotta do what's best for you, man. I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating the sentiment that you want to make your Awoken Bastet available to those who have come to depend upon it. I'd feel the same way, if I were in your shoes, I think. At some point, ya gotta cut the cord and get out, if that's what you want--- rip the band-aid off, so-to-speak.

14. glabbo

glabbo Member

User ID:
    glabbo
    PADherder:
    link
    Without going into too much detail, I too have an addictive personality. I will have four years clean off of drugs and alcohol in February, and my "addictive personality" shows when I play this game. But, on one hand, I love this game. Everything about about(well, almost everything). And I get a lot of joy out of it and it gives me something else to look forward to. In the summer, I'm out surfing every damn day. It makes me extremely happy. The same can be said about this game. On the other hand, in the past I've spend way too much on this game and it negatively effected my ability to pay bills on time. I stopped going to the gym. My time could have been used doing things that are more productive.

So, I completely understand if you cannot find some sort of balance. It's so hard! And in my experience, the best way to quit an addiction is to stop abruptly(contrary to what was mentioned above) and keep in mind how it negatively affected your happiness/well being.

I wish the best of luck to you and your happiness! Go out and do what you love :)

Nemesis likes this.
  15. recife

recife Well-Known Member

Not reading every comment, but i get what you mean from the OP. Sad to see you go, but i'm happy to have had you on my list. Hope you enjoyed my Bastet as well. =) Everyone has their reasons and if you go, go with a clear conscience.

GG, Nemesis.

p.s.: i feel my rate of likes will significantly decrease with you gone. =(

maherd and Nemesis like this.
  16. dthan

dthan Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    To be honest I would have to say that PAD has probably done more bad than good for my life. I can only wonder how many productive hours I could get back. In fact I'm procrastinating on a presentation I need to make by going on these forums. I have a similar personality where I get addicted to games. I have a problem with needing to optimize. I'm kind of OCD when it comes to games. When I first started PAD I couldn't even put it down because of how frequently I was leveling up and how quickly my stamina bar would reach max (I'm glad I can actually waste all my stamina in the morning and not look back at it for the rest of the day now).

I definitely support you in your decision because I'm hoping to do the same eventually. It doesn't help that my friend just recently got me addicted to a new mobile game @_@... anyway good luck with your future endeavors.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  17. Inagaki

Inagaki What are you, TAMA ?

PADherder:
    link
    And writing these pavement have consumed your time.

So, you quit ? If so, I strongly advise you to not look upon the Chrismas news, because you may not be able to quit enough soon.
    Farewell, may your future life be "more productive" as you want.
    You were someone, once, now let's the curtains drops off on you.
    Diappeared, vanished like ashtray - We won't hear about you anymore. #Shugonai

Jchunksgt and Nemesis like this.
  18. Nemesis

Nemesis Bastet's BFF

I'm not so rude as to not read the whole thing, don't worry. ^_^

I can't agree, though, even though your opinion holds more weight. PAD isn't meaningful OR satisfying to me, not in the long run and sometimes not even short term. It's "fun", but...a really empty, superficial sort of fun, even if solving puzzles is a legitimate way to spend time. And the associated drawbacks are just too much to justify continuing with it, in my mind.

It may be important to note that I'm the only one who thinks these things, I'm not being induced to leave PAD. No one else even knows that I'm playing it, let alone is telling me that I'm addicted! But I am. And I know that reading or playing other kinds of games is both more fun and more...filling, if that makes any sense. I know that I can't be productive all the time, but I think that there are better ways to relax.

To be honest, I don't think that I've ever seriously tried gradually winding down. I'll need to keep that in mind, but for now I think that a sudden leave of absence just might work. Still, thank you very much for taking the time to write all that and for granting me your opinion, I greatly appreciate it. :>

Perhaps that is true. But other games don't hold the sway over me that PAD does, even those of the most addicting class like Terraria. (I haven't played a true MMO yet, though, and can safely tell you that I wouldn't start one even if I had the laptop for it.) With other games I play, like Final Fantasy VI or Groove Coaster or Crash Bandicoot 3 or what have you, I'll sit down with one and sink at most a few hours every now and then, with week or month long breaks as the mood takes me elsewhere. Two of those mentioned are constantly in my pocket, but somehow I can pick one up and put it down later with a semblance of responsibility. I'd argue that they're very different kinds of games with very different atmospheres about them - and if you're right, and other games prove just as much of a menace, then I have no qualms about typing up a few more essays!

Your advice seems sound, but I'm afraid that I can't follow it. I'm hoping that the complete inaccessibility of my account and how slow it is to reroll a new one will bolster my resolve...but I guess time will tell. Still, thanks for your wishes!

I guess "I have tons of books to read and awesome RPGs to finish" could be my reason! I'm no stranger to filling up time, and that may help my cause. Thank you very much for your kind words, and I wish you luck with your own endeavors! :3

You could certainly do a lot worse than playing puzzle games! PAD is the first puzzle game that I've ever seriously played, and I wonder if I should try another, more standard kind. Not Tetris, though, given that game's reputation.

I have. Now to see if I can restrain myself from going to find another. I don't know if I'll be successful, but I'll try to do what's best - thanks! Best wishes with your own balance, as well~

Thank you very much! I'll be doing my best. It's very nice to hear that you've managed to stay clean, and I greatly appreciate your words. Maybe I can find a balance someday, but for now I'm hoping that I can replicate your success with at least one small portion of my life. ^_^

Thanks, recife. You're a pleasure to be around and I'm sure you'll continue to prosper here.

P.S: the entire forum's rate of likes will significantly decrease with me gone, just saying. ^_^;

Thank you, and likewise! I'm sure you can do it if you put your mind to it!

I don't know what you mean with most of this post, but that's fine. I suppose that you won't hear about me here anymore, and that's fine as well. Everything comes to an end eventually.

I did actually look upon the Christmas news, and while they're all adorable and Siren would have been a decent Water/Fire option for my Awoken Isis team, the account is safely out of my hands at this point. News are addicting, and there are many mysteries that are yet to be solved, like what's up with those mystery awakenings and when those two harpy-esque rogue dungeon bosses are coming out. But if I make a concession for those, I fear that I'll try to start another account, so I'm putting them out of my mind. Hope that you guys get Santa Okuni and improved counter-attack someday!

★★★

That took a while. But it is finished. As I alluded to in those replies, my affairs are just about in order (minus replies to a PM that might be active later) and my account is in the hands of another. I left its name as Nullesis~, for the curious, but that could change at any point. I figure this to be my last post here for the foreseeable future, I can be contacted in other places if one engages in careful enough searching of my details. So...that's that!

Take care, everyone. Thanks for the memories~

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    STT, Zulias, glabbo and 3 others like this.
  19. Zaurora

Zaurora Momiji Best Girl

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Man this is really sad to read. It's even more when I already had a pretty sad song up. I pray you the best!

20. nocutename

nocutename 1,500 days

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    @Nemesis - I am echoing the same problem with this game being a huge time sink. The past two weeks, I was mainly doing only the coin dungeons to clear a bunch of content. But it is an addictive cycle.

So far this week, all my casual playing efforts have falling through the cracks. The planning out and thinking of stamina returns. I am eyeballing my stone stash from all those cleared coin dungeons. It is a vicious cycle. I though I could break the cycle playing more casually but it is hard for me not to think about achievements and goals. Plus isn't finishing content part of goals. :p

I feel like this is the main reason why I have played PAD for this long (over 2 years) but it is the same reason I want to quit. Too long and the dungeons have now gotten way too hard.

On the flip side, I haven't spent more than 1 hour on this game for the past two weeks. So that is good but I am starting to think and plan which takes up more time then the game itself. Overall, the stress of the game has been pretty much alleviated. So I guess I achieved my end goal.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

maherd and Orree like this.