I need an Anime Education

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Spencer, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Spencer

Spencer Member

I found out about PAD because of the Batman collab, (some of the folks here can probably tell you horror stories about my noble but annoying quest to get The Joker), but I don't know a lot about many of the shows/books/games other collabs are based on. People on the facebook page seem to REALLY like Hunter X Hunter, but I have no idea why, just due to me being ignorant of it.

This all came to a head when, also on the facebook page, someone posted a cryptic paragraph about how prancing around in a park would make an impact on their wallet, or something. After a few more posts, and my head spinning a few times, I finally figured out that all this meant that the EVA collab is coming to North America. Everyone seems to love this show also, but, again, I'm totally ignorant of it.

My anime knowledge is confined to 2 shows called "Full Metal Alchemist", (also known as "No, dad, he is NOT a robot!!!"), and "One Piece", which my kid watches all the time on the Cartoon Network.

I'd really like to learn more about these shows/books that some of the collabs are based on. What is the basic premise? Where can I watch them if they are shows? (I have Netflix and DirecTV.) Any and all help would be much appreciated.

2. Yoona

Yoona New Member

Hi Spencer!

I'm not an anime-enthusiast but I do take my fair share in watching animes. There's a bunch of anime streaming websites, you can just Google and find a million of them. Most animes are in Japanese and have english subtitles. Only a select few get to be dubbed (English voiceover). Here's some of the animes that I've watched.

1. Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)
    2. Guilty Crown
    3. Bleach
    4. Death Note
    5. Fairy Tail
    6. Blue Exorcist
    7. Code Geass
    8. Soul Eater
    9. Clannad
    10. Deadman Wonderland
    11. Toriko
    12. Accel World

I definitely recommend Shingeki no Kyojin, it's one of the most popular animes of the year.

3. Esplen

Esplen Active Member

PADherder:
    link
    Way to hipster for Shingeki, don't like the art style and I already had 99% of the spoilers spoiled.

Guilty Crown was pretty good, but I felt like the second half was rushed (as it is in most anime).

Bleach and Death Note again are too mainstream for me (and I disliked their plots).

Fairy Tail's plot was somewhat non-existant, but it managed... I think the manga is still going.

Blue Exorcist is pretty good, but again, rushed.

Code Geass was one of my first anime (at least, one of the ones that I watched in the entirety instead of watching sniplets when coming home and seeing my brother watching anime). It's nice for it's time, but there are definitely better (also in the manga, they have planes instead of mechs, iirc).

Soul Eater too mainstream. (Yes, I know...)

Clannad was great, but it's not actioney, so don't expect that going in (if you want actioney feels, watch Angel Beats!)

Deadman Wonderland was cut-off in the middle of the plot and there's no Season 2 yet. Definitely a good manga if you want to finish it up, though.

Just looked at Toriko, but not going to give judgment because I can't. But looking at the synopsis, it looks like the flip-side of Ben-To! sort of.

Accel World is, in my opinion, a better series in the world of Sword Art Online (sorry to spoil it, not that there's any spoilers, but they're part of the same universe). And the main reason why I prefer AW is that the main character is not a Mary Sue (tl;dr: Main character in SAO is perfect and flawless and inhuman in his perfections).

Also, Accel World probably won't get another anime season although it seriously needs it (but it would be rushed, as usual).

Honestly, unless you absolutely hate reading, just go for Manga instead. The plots are more defined, they make more sense. Character development isn't rushed and the authors get to portray the story in their own way without trying to cram it into a season or two.

Although right now Accel World's translated light novels are the exact same as the anime, so feel free to watch that anime without feeling left out. For Sword Art Online, there's a lot more (a few sub-stories and at least 2 more arcs) that aren't included in the anime. Oh, and the main character maintains his perfection in all of them. But Alicization is still pretty good and the descriptions for Gungale made up for it.

4. XCobra

XCobra るり

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Start by watching Freezing, Kyoukai no Kanata, and Infinite Stratos :>

5. pentarou

pentarou Member

If you're on Netflix, and if you have kids, a good starting point might be Hayao Miyazaki.

Otherwise, Netflix has a fairly sparse collection of mostly older and some sorta-niche titles, and what looks like a ton of Naruto...

There are a number of semi-free/subscription services that offer streaming for similar prices to netflix (Crunchyroll, Funimation, Daisuki come to mind, there are more); the selection varies.

Remember that anime is just a medium - the shows and movies are as diverse as regular TV shows, if not more so. If you like action, there's action. If you like drama, there's drama. There are a few genres that are pretty specific to anime, though; these include things filled with giant robots (Gundam/Macross/Getter Robo/etc), and "harem" shows in which a single male character is accompanied by an entire flock of love interests.

Evangelion isn't on Netflix, but probably fits somewhere under the 'robots' genre (although it's not typical in any way). There is a more recent "reboot" available on DVD, these have gotten pretty good reviews to date and might be a good starting point if you'd like to see just how different anime can be from American animation. Depending on how old your kids are, I'd consider not letting them watch. :)

6. Esplen

Esplen Active Member

PADherder:
    link
    Read Freezing, don't watch it...

IS is okay to watch, though.

7. XCobra

XCobra るり

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Freezing is basically like Shingeki no Kyojin but modernized and more naked stuff~

8. HeartlessIndigo

HeartlessIndigo Inactive Member

PADherder:
    link
    FATE/ZERO
    The best anime ever.....(IMO)

Spice and wolf <3 mix of economics and romance (more economics though)

Evsngelion, who could ever forget that

FULL METAL ALCHEMIST BROTHERHOOD

And umm more. I'll type more and plot synposises later, as its 1 in the morning here.

9. Esplen

Esplen Active Member

PADherder:
    link
    Fixed it.

10. Tibbles

Tibbles me too thanks

FULLMETAL. YES. FULLEMTAL ALCHEMIST.

Sorry about that. I too am not much of an anime goer, but I have to admit that Fullmetal Alchemist is by far one of the best shows I've ever seen. Live action/animated combined (Not to mention, the English dub is pretty amazing for an Anime). If you haven't watched it with your son, I highly recommend that you watch it (Don't forget to watch Conqueror of Shamballa after the ending!). If you enjoyed it, then you'll love, LOVE Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Apart from that, my anime taste is really limited. I'd definitely give Attack on Titan a try. It can be kind of slow at first, but it's worth it. You can wait until March for the English dub (I believe) if you don't want to read subtitles. Other than These two, here's what else I've seen:

-Sword Art Online: Can't say it's that great. Pretty action packed, but extremely cliche and predictable. Seemed to drag on after the 14th episode. Almost half of the series is also fan service mushy mushy stuff. I wouldn't really recommend it.

-Evagelion: Watched this show as a kid, and really can't remember much about it. But if it's still popular today, then might as well give it a shot, right?

-One Piece: Pretty interesting. Never got too far into it, maybe 30 episodes in before I stopped. If your son enjoys it, why not give it a try?

-Naruto: Really caught my attention as a child. It's relatively fascinating, but now it's just dragging on and on. I'd watch the first half of the show, but that's about it.

That's about it. Try not to get too dragged into this anime stuff haha. (Playing JPRGs are just as good as well, so you should give it a try too! Seeing as how you're playing PAD and all haha)

11. hessa11

hessa11 New Member

pesonally i love these few:

bleach
    naruto
    inuyasha
    d.gray-man
    (top favourites around the world!)

12. XCobra

XCobra るり

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    No pls, Freezing Vibrations (Season 2) Specials 1 is just naked pandoras molesting each other. I don't think thats appropriate to be fanservice

13. HeartlessIndigo

PADherder:
    link
    wall of text time :heart:

Fate/Zero\
    -This seriously is one of my all time favorite animes. First and foremost, it has doesn't resort to pandering to the audience with fanservice (I personally detest fanservice, a good anime shouldn't need to flash tits every 3 seconds to get my attention). Let me repeat NO FANSERVICE.

--The anime is a special one in that, it sort of emulates the style of Game of Thrones, where there's no real main character, though, a few characters are definitely focused on more. Every character is developed (semi) fully, from the psychopath who gets high off of killing children, to the knight who honors valor over everything else, the the testosterone pumped uber barbarian guy (my second favorite character:heart:), to the giant prick who thinks everything is his (which is technically is). Every episode is well paced, and even. There's nothing just dropped out of the sky, no random character popping up saying "oh btw, I'll just pull off a Deus Ex Machina and screw you over" (well there is one, but it's epic :p).

--The anime has NO fillers. (except for one episode). The artwork is also GORGEOUS. I don't give this praise lightly. The artwork is a mixture of CG and Animation that blend extremely well, making everything eye-candy.

--Did I also mention it doesn't involve HIGH-SCHOOL? (like 95% of all animes do ._.)

=General plot synposis: Every x amounts of years, something called a holy grail war happens. Now wtf is a holy grail war you might ask. A holy grail war is a war between seven masters, and their seven servants. The winner of the war gets access to the holy grail, which can grant any wish the wisher desires. Each master is chosen by the grail, and each master then receives a servant. Servants are hero's from old legends, brought back to life to fight in the holy grail war (like achilles, Hector, King Arthur, etc.) There are seven servants total, each with their own profession
    -Archer, Sabre, Berserker, Assasin, Caster, Lancer, and Rider. Their profession gives you a sense of how they fight, but it doesn't give you their exact details (archer OP).

-- The only downside I can see to fate/zero is the ONE filler episode, and the pretty shitty ending :l. Since Fate/Zero is a prequel to another anime, they had to set up the ending so it would lead into it's sequel (which is really shitty, has tons of fanservice, and involves high-school ._.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Full Metal Alchemist

Another one of my all time Favorites... This one, too, has NO FANSERVICE, NO HIGH-SCHOOL, and NO FILLER EPISODES*get the pattern?)

--This is one of the longer animes, running for 60 episodes. But let me tell you something, there are NO filler arcs, every single one of the 60 episodes is relevant, and progresses the actual plot. There is quite a bit of characterization and character growth throughout the anime (the main character literally grows taller a bit by bit as the anime progresses), though only mainly for the main protagonists, the antagonists aren't characterized as much.

--As a preface to my summary, you'll need to know one thing about this anime, it has something called "alchemy" (not magic, but it can be counted as such). Alchemy in the anime is a science. It's basically the art of changing something into something else. If you have enough elements in a wall to create say, a sword, you can forcibly take the elements from the wall, and form a sword. But Alchemy is governed by the law of equivalent exchange:everything comes with a price, nothing is free. So to make a sword from a wall, you'll need the correct elements like iron and whatnot in the wall first.

--The general story, is of a Young boy and his brother, who live with their mother, their father mysteriously disapeared before the main characters, Edward, and Alphonse, can remember. (minor spoiler to give some plot info(nothing you won't learn in the first 4 episodes)) Eventually, their mother dies, and the main characters are left parent less, and distraught. The characters, who are aspiring alchemists, decide to commit a taboo, which goes wrong. Leaving Ed, the main main character without his leg and his arm, and Al, the main-is character body-less, with his soul trapped in a suit of armor. Eventually, Ed and all decide to travel the world to find the Philosophers stone, a magical stone said to be able to gimp the law of equivalent exchange. AS they do, they make many friends, and uncover a conspiracy, and whatnot.... Yeah, it's great, watch it :D

WEllp, that's all for now, I might do more later, but I dunno

TL;DR, WATCH FATE/ZERO AND FULLMETAL :heart:

14. HeartlessIndigo

PADherder:
    link
  15. Monigol

Monigol New Member

If it's introduction to anime recommendation. We need to build his resume efficiently.
    I consider Eva to be my first anime experience, borrowed VCD off friend, before then it was just loose episodes of Doraemon, Pokemon, and Dragonball Z off TV (you know how tv jump episodes around back then, especially off premier time-slot, not how anime are meant to be watched!).

My first impression about Eva was cool robot fighting monster, then confusing later episode, and a weird Alice-in-Wonderland type ending. How mofu-lu wrong I was!! wasn't until an year worth of anime experiences later that rewatching of Eva blow my mind. (Internet did not exist, so no streaming, downloading, forum, blog, tweet, no nothing to spoil the glass shattering moment of realize how awesome Eva is I finally got it.).

I am just a casual fan of anime, not sure how to assert how advanced is an anime for newbie to start on. But we need to lay some ground rule, maybe?:

1. Nothing exceeding 52 episodes, give our student some closure before letting them get into weekly following those 300 episoders.
    2. No Moe geared anime, these can easily turn some people off
    3. No Fan service excessive animes, mom walking in reason, or watching with little cousins reason (Full Metal Panic was great military themed mecha mixed in comedy, with a mascot. Then comes an OVA with a trip to the mountain, I was relatively inexperience in anime-watching. I know beach visiting mean fan-service episode, but had no idea about mountain= hot spring= prolonged nude bathing scene. I was babysitting then..)
    4. Try avoiding schoolyard comedy in early stage, anime like Lucky Star or Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai tend to draw heavyly on parody for lawl (even LOFL if and only if you get it)

Final words, do not be afraid if the anime is too old, some of the best one were done in late-90s.
    Call me discriminatory, recent anime have great CGI effect, but seem to be lacking something with their export to North Korea for their animation production. Well, I loved handdrawn explosion, boo cgi explosions!
    Newbie friendly anime genre are sci-fi, action, adventure, mystery.
    Genre you may need some background on are romance, sport, and slice of life/parody comedy.

16. HeartlessIndigo

PADherder:
    link
    :heart:

But FMA brotherhood is 50+ episodes and its great, was one of my first animes....

(Actually wasn't, but it still is great :p)

17. buzzyrecky

buzzyrecky Okuni's #1 bae Card Creation Winner

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I second Kill la Kill. Easily the best anime of 2013. It's so ridiculous that its amazing, and it has the best soundtrack out of any anime I've seen (and i've watched a lot). It's not something to watch in public, since it gets sort of inappropriate, but even if that sort of thing isnt your cup of tea, the fanservice in kill la kill is more absurd than it is dirty sexualization (and both the guys and girls have their fair share)

as far as starting anime goes, though... fma is definitely a good place to start (its popular enough to be relevant, and it was really great, so it lives up to its popularity, unlike some pieces of garbage *coughswordartonlinecough*)

katekyo hitman reborn would also be a good first anime, imo. its kinda long (200 episodes i think?), but it has all the essentials of a good anime to get a feel for what anime is normally like (the /good/ essentials, at least. a majority of anime have terribly cliche tropes and boobs everywhere, but those are rarely good so its best to shy away from them anyway)

oh, and mirai nikki. really creative plot, and the first 20something episodes are like as good as an anime can get (it gets a little weird for the last few episodes, though... but because a majority is great i'd say its worth it)

((but if you have specific genres you like or certain things youre looking for, i can suggest better fits, since i tend to enjoy all sorts of anime, and I have a healthy list of everything, i think.

i have a list here http://myanimelist.net/animelist/buzzyrecky ))

18. XCobra

XCobra るり

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I recommend Mirai Nikki to only those who like supernatural type animes with a somewhat twisty plot. Seems just a tiny little bit "bloody"

19. Spencer

Spencer Member

Thanks for the help so far! I'll try to find some of this stuff. :) Can anyone give a general plot setup of Eva and HunterXHunter? Also, I'm noticing that there are a lot of prequels/reboots out there, is there a site I can go on where this info is organized, so I don't end up watching series 3 of a 5 series story and have no clue what's going on? :D

20. saultz

saultz Member

Bro. Watch Gintama. The only anime you need in your life. It's too awesome. Although there are references to other animes as they parody a lot of them, I think you'll enjoy it alot. I'm not a big anime guy and I still laugh my ass off when they parody something I have no knowledge of. Gintama is sure to educate you on a lot of things, anime culture included (though your views may be a bit skewed because of the nature of the anime).

It's the best series I've ever watched. Not just anime either. Like best series overall. There are about 260 episodes available to date and they are all on Crunchyroll. It starts out slow but it is totally worth your time. I will be starting my fifth rewatch of the series soon.

Brief premise: Edo has been invaded by aliens or what they call Amanto. The people of Japan lost the Samurai-Amanto war and currently live under amanto rule. Swords have been banned in Edo and the way of the Samurai is no more. Gintoki, a former hero of the Samurai-Amanto war, simply tries to live his life out peacefully under Amanto rule while running his very own Odd Jobs agency.

Note: You NEED to watch this anime before you die.