Is PAD dying?

Discussion in 'P&D Discussion' started by Tyizor, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Tyizor

Tyizor Wandering Planaria

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Is PAD in general losing popularity or is it just NA? Im seeing a lot of old friends/faces quitting and the game is feeling more and more stale even though I'm no longer playing it as seriously. Challenge dungeons cleared feel more like a relief than an accomplishment lately with how bs some of these dungeons are, and all the cool utility things seem to be on new cards instead of buffed oldies. From an NA perspective it feels like the game has been steadily going downhill and its now dipping even quicker

2. Noobzilla

Noobzilla noobest of the noobs

User ID:
    Feels more stale because padx isnt getting updated so Im not even sure what new stuff are coming out.

Forums did die down a bit though

3. YamaKyu

YamaKyu LMETA HYPE

User ID:
    349-296-255
    I would say probably just NA. I can't remember where but I've seen that @JP it's still one of the most played mobage out there, and it makes tons of money. However, we've still yet to see the impact of recent changes in the game (and most importantly how the REM rates works).
    NA has always been kind of a less good server to play on (JP gets tons of stuff we don't *cough*gacha*couch*dra*cough) so a decline at some point would be understandable. If decline there is.
    Also yeah, the tendency to release new stuff instead of providing evos for old stuff is rather infuriating. And one could argue that GH sometimes gives the impression of running out of ideas.

4. Roland

Roland Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    There is always going to be some churn with older players dropping away. Hopefully newer players will join in. PadX does suck though and there isn't really another site that is up and coming to replace it.

Not sure why Padx and padherder are falling away from support, but it also seems as though the people running them want no help from anyone new.

5. Xiaomu

Xiaomu Active Member

User ID:
    You forgot about a company that won't let us have some anime rems

6. YamaKyu

YamaKyu LMETA HYPE

User ID:
    349-296-255
    I included that in "JP gets tons of stuff we don't" yes ha ha. Though it might not be **only** GungHo's fault.

7. MagicMatcher

MagicMatcher Sacred Life Cow <3

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Wouldn't say it's dying, lots of fun events packed with things to do. Miss a lot of old faces who've stopped playing or went to other communities, seen a lot of new faces at the same time too though

8. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Not at all dead. I would say that forum communities in general have been dying a slow death the last 5 years or so with reddit and facebook groups killing them. Discord straight up killed this site. When multiplayer first dropped this place was full of posts with people looking for people to play. Discord makes that irrelevant. If you want to say that elements of the game are stale that may or may not be true. I would be wiling to say if you play any game daily for a number of years it will get stale. I don't think GH is doing the game any favors in that regard with some of their choices.

Jph81 and Freddy like this.
  9. houndstooth

houndstooth Bad at puzzles, likes pretty pictures

PADherder:
    link
    The only thing that makes me feel like the game is dying is an inability to find people with the leads you want. I don't remember having so much trouble finding friends with my leads back in the day, and when on Earth will I get a new BF? Most of my old BFs have quit.

Murdurus likes this.
  10. HappyNoms

HappyNoms Ogliarchial collectivist

PADherder:
    link
    Imho it's more Discord having a gradual impact gobbling up player attention. The discord rooms are often popping with conversation and strategizing and carries. It's just that text evaporates ephemerally on discord chat and isn't visible the way this forum is.

It wouldn't be so bad if the two site admins on padx and herder would just hand off to new people, but they don't seem to know how to transition the reins. I still hope padx recovers, all they really need to do is let some more editors in versus having an update chokepoint on one guy afk so long.

Dungeon design painted itself into a corner. That is true, and years in the making. Now that they've introduced 7cc and triple killers and whatnot, they're in a really awkward design space. It makes the dungeons trends towards feeling more binary on bringing the trump card or anti-troll ability, pass or fail based on box availability, rather than play skill or improvisation. Eventually they will powercreep a bunch of cards to a better band of ranges so design constraints are less a mess than the last few months. Or they'll powercreep spin out of control wildly. Usually how these things go one way or the other.

11. houndstooth

houndstooth Bad at puzzles, likes pretty pictures

PADherder:
    link
    I do feel like dungeons are more of a "gear check" nowadays. For example, there might be a dungeon with a tough damage void boss, but then I bring in my Pixel Sephiroth team and it's like playing Tower of Light.

There are still a number of dungeons I can't beat due to not having the correct "anti-troll" card, and I much prefer difficult dungeons that test your overall ability instead of throwing a series of gimmicks at you.

All-in-all, I can't justify spending money on this game ever again, even though I spent quite a bit in the past. What is the point of rolling for a specific card I want to use when:

A: Nobody else uses it because it's not meta, so I'm stuck not being able to play (I occasionally see a single Pixel Sephiroth on my friend list, but that's maybe once every other day).

B: If you stop playing for a week because there are other things in your life besides PAD, most of your friend list will have deleted you.

B: It gets outclassed by power creep and new gear checks.

I might spend a bit of money now and then if they gave me the ability to choose a second leader from my own box and not rely on other people (and log in every day of my life to appease them), but until then, I'm no-IAP as long as the game survives.

Snarf likes this.
  12. Zaku

Zaku Delete Kirin off your friendlists

PADherder:
    link
    It's just the discord groups (pad community server aka Reddit, and a lesser extent pad forums server) are a leagues better platform for a game like this than a forum. I'd suggest you check them out.

13. Orange

Orange Red+Yellow = Orange

I have been playing this game for so long. Many changes over past 5 years. I joined the forum the same time as I started playing Pad. Forum was very popular. I couldn’t play without reading something on this forum. Many friends were from this forum.

Now, too many new cards were much better old cards. Made old cards seemed useless. Old player or IAP player (at least me) felt that I should not spend any money when I looked back. Don’t ask why. Too many reasons to feel bad like rolling junk 3 stars, 4 stars back on those time. Even now, rolling 6 stars could still be useless card or dup or no one use them and would be in my box (never be used). New 7 Star was super hard to get. Spent 100 stones and still didn’t drop. Should be IAP? Or the good question would be how much to spend the good card? Any IAP spent 100 stones and didn’t get what they wanted. The feeling just not good. At the end,
    I saw this pattern over and over again. Not surprise if they stopped playing pad or see declining on old players. If I didn’t get any 7stars card to play. Sooner or later I will be bored with play old card and finally stopped pad.

I think others could feel the same with me. I played very casual now. Not much active on forum. I still read most of the time but not much reply any comments I still hope forum could be back like old days.

Jph81 likes this.
  14. bp1976

bp1976 Pittsburgh, PA Born and Raised

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Losing PADx has really affected how much I play. I still play a lot but I miss guerillas, etc.

It is a shame about the admins not being able to update the site.

philsov and Knomraski like this.
  15. Knomraski

Knomraski Bowl of Herp

I can’t imagine what it would be like to start playing PAD today. I’d play for ten minutes, get a nose bleed trying to figure out the difference between a regular awakening, a latent awakening and an assist evo awakening and delete the fuck out of the app without wasting my time researching it.

The tutorial explains the first 1% of the game and then leaves the player to figure out the next 99% of the game on his own through trial and error.

Even the REM, the primary source of revenue for GH, is a confusing clusterfuck.

I still enjoy the game a great deal (most of the time), but I doubt many new players are flocking to the game. I thought I was never seeing any new friend requests because I was high level, but my daughter started an account a couple months ago, and she has some top tier leads, but her friend pool is a graveyard.

Jph81 likes this.
  16. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Well-Known Member

User ID:
    My daughter has had a similar experience. If I didn’t know what I know she’d be in bad shape with the game. It’s not very user friendly at all.

17. Vizzle

Vizzle Active Member

I'm too busy working and playing fortnite/ blizzard games that I have little time to keep up with pad other than clearing new content and logging in for stones. Also have 3 children, 2 of which are in sports so that takes up a lot of my time as well. Along with the wife needing attention

18. philsov

philsov has sufficient privileges to post here

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Same. It's more than knowing about the reveal on updates. Like -- I didn't realize Awoken Lucifer was a thing until I saw a friend rocking him as a lead. I's got pet projects! I can't pan through ulted things to see if they have a new awoken form or not.

19. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    To be fair, they did announce it on Facebook and that's really where all the official announcements are. That aside, there is the "news" button at the top that brings you to their Facebook page if you're too lazy to look them up.

As for the topic, I do feel like it's dying. I have people on my friends list that hasn't logged on for 1-2+ weeks and half of them are from this forum. I'm torn on whether or not I should keep them as they have been on my friends list for over a year, much of whom got added back during A.Lucifer days.

Orange likes this.