Is Padx dead?

Discussion in 'Q&A' started by Roland, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Roland

Roland Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    really been lacking lately.

2. Super Random Box

Super Random Box REM Trolled.

It is kinda dead for like a year.... they update once or twice a month. Same goes for PAD Guide, except PAD Guide is 110% dead.

3. MagicMatcher

MagicMatcher Sacred Life Cow <3

PADherder:
    link
    PDX still updates (as you can see from guerrilla stuff). I think the problem is that they need to fix/update some things but their admin hasn't been able to do so yet? I don't remember completely

PADGuide is dead yes but if you have Android there's DadGuide in Play Store now, which is updated PadGuide that's still WIP

4. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Re: thread title: No, PDX is not dead, but updates are not as frequent as before.

PDX is a third-party English-language fan resource run by volunteers (read: they aren't getting paid to host, develop, or update the site). The same is true of PADherder, PadGuide, and DadGuide.

If PAD is frustrating to play without third-party resources, such as dungeon information, then the fault doesn't lie with the community. It lies with the developer. PAD may not be the cash cow it was in past years, but I find it hard to believe that it doesn't make enough money to build and host resources like PADherder, PDX, PadGuide, and Skyozora on its own.

I hope my tone doesn't come across as hostile, but as the leader of a different online gaming community, I admit I get annoyed when I read, "Is x dead?" when the people in charge likely have plenty of IRL responsibilities. I doubt seeing threads like this motivates them to keep contributing their free time, skills, and energy to updating those resources. It's true that I'm likely projecting my own frustration with not being able to dedicate more time to the online communities I lead on to this thread, so I ask for some grace in that respect.

I can't speak for others, but I'm very grateful for the time, skill, and effort that the owners and maintainers of PDX, PADherder, PadGuide, and DadGuide have invested to make it easier to navigate PAD. I sincerely doubt I would have stuck with PAD if not for third-party resources and this community.

mtb911 and sl946 like this.
  5. ko300zx

ko300zx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    That's not true. These resources are a luxury. When GH creates a new dungeon, they want people to experience and learn the new content. Why go through the trouble of creating new bosses etc if they are just going to give people a map to finish it in one try? If people are frustrated with this idea, they are playing the wrong game. The frustration is because they become accustomed to having these resources and want to take the easy road. It's not that hard these days to build a team that can handle most everything in a dungeon. If not, it shouldn't take more than a few tries to make the adjustments needed to finish. That's how the game was meant to be played.

6. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I agree that the third-party resources mentioned in this thread aren't strictly necessary and can certainly appreciate the benefits of the "go in blind" approach (I cleared December C10 on the second try with a Roots x Rikuu team that shrugs off most hazards but still has enough HP, damage output, and recovery to clear floors quickly), but PDX can be a tremendous help when planning ahead, especially for longer dungeons. I don't want to take 5-6 runs to reach floor 15 of a dungeon just to find out I should have brought a Fujin active. (That's probably an exaggeration, but I hope it makes my point.)

So one person can say, "Take the easy road," and another says, "Plan ahead to avoid wasting time." I think it comes down to play style. Both "go in blind" and "plan ahead" are valid ways to enjoy the game.

Debates aside, I appreciate the time and energy the staff of PDX invests to make the information available.

7. ko300zx

User ID:
    I appreciate it too, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying, it's not GH's fault if people get frustrated without these resources. If you have to go in blind, you should plan to encounter every mechanic and build your team to manage as many as possible. Fujin should 100% be on the team. Any frustrating dungeon, probably due to length like you mention, is going to need most of the tools available today and with assists and super awakenings, most everyone has access to them all. If you ever watch JP streams the day new arenas are released, everyone takes the same stuff, and they just make minor adjustments for major hurdles. On that note, we also get stuff after they've already done it so there are always ways to find out what's in a dungeon.

8. Orange Crush

Orange Crush PAD's Nostradamus

User ID:
    I’m stuck at the 4 sec 6y Anniversary dungeon and if I could easily look it up I could either find a glass cannon lead or a killler team to beat it, because a “universal” team wouldn’t apply. Buuuuuuuuuut I’m not going to go in over and over to find the types of every floor.

This is a game whose mega and requirements are so intetertwined that the loss of one has thrown the other into shambles.

It’s not explicitly GungoHos fault, but lacking the resources they tailored difficulty to, makes the game less fun.

9. Roland

Roland Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I understand the responses and I guess a way to refine the question is this, if they are not able to put the time into the sites have they given up? Padx has seen some slow updates in the past, over the last few weeks it is just idling. I have built forum applications for communities in the past, no pay, lots of time, much complaining. Truth is, if the for free developers don't keep it going, modern, current, fun, people walk and find something else. Seems that in the past you have to get to a certain level of participation before you could even marginally get donations or ad revenue.

Though different from Padx, I spoke to the guy for padherder and it seems to me he has no intention of getting back to support it, or pass it along to someone or some other group. I stopped using it completely when I understood it was not going to keep up with much of anything anymore and I was wasting my time using the site.

Maybe Pad is already moving to provide some additional data as they now have LTD schedule in app, opponent lists on dungeon selection screen in app, and their facebook pages identify much of the upcoming schedules and bonuses.

Just thought someone here on the forum would have an answer that is knowledgeable from the PadX folks.

I even volunteered to try and help, many times, crickets from those that run the site. oh well.

10. ko300zx

User ID:
    Yeah I don't understand why people wouldn't want to let others come in and help. It's not like they are going to make a dying site any worse. There are plenty of very active people still playing that I'm sure would be glad to donate their time but it always seems there's resistance to let new people in. Odd.

11. Marlboro

Marlboro Well-Known Member

User ID:
    NA 389,289,242
    PADherder:
    link
    updated cards of Jan 4th was up within minutes of the update so they are defo there..... really the biggest thing is that the front page is not updated from the facebook event posts so you need to actually type the dungeon name. well that and the monthly challenges not being translated.

12. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

User ID:
    335 669 204
    The problem with that is the fact that it cost stamina to play dungeons. And the hard dungeons cost more stamina, and are 50+ in coop even. So I theory it’s a good idea to let people figure out dungeons and mechanics by trial and error, it’s a very costly process. Even with dungeon data available in the past, it was no guarantee of a clear. Multiple possible spawns per floor, no definitive icon on how much hp the monster has left (so you know how exactly how close you are rage, combo shields, attack damage, etc), or something like lack of skill such as saving orbs for later, dealing with attribute absorbs, stalking, etc, plus other variables account for reasons why the dungeon info was a helpful guideline rather than being a cheat code.

Now, you have to learn and beat a dungeon thru trial and error like before but without any knowledge of what to accurately expect
    unless you invest time in finding info on how other people’s experience and strategy on gather content. I know that what I just wrote is what you’re arguing against “experiencing and learning new content”, but the problem is there isn’t infinite stamina for this game style to be effectively possible without a whale like status helping reach that strategy. Why would anyone want to play that way if they have to meticulously manage stamina because they have to pay or wait hours to get another chance to play and most likely fail again at that dungeon?

Basically what I’m saying is that the style of play and experience you’re advocating for is either not cheap and it also can be frustrating especially for lower rank players with less stamina (fail dungeon but learn a mechanic, wait an hour to try again, repeat until success). I’d like to play that way, but my issue with that stems from the fact that even with the dungeon info by your side and all the right subs and inherits needed as well as at least above average player skill it still doesn’t guarantee success. Amplifying that issue by not knowing those mechanics and a lack of stamina makes gung-ho money thru stam burning and card chasing (I have no problem with their profit driven strategy but it’s detrimental when it affects the amount of time you can even play the game which is the whole purpose for mist people).

Sorry for the long post lol.

13. ko300zx

User ID:
    Like I said, I'm not arguing that the resources aren't valuable. My point was that it's not GH's responsibility to provide them. Communities build these sites/resources to help people save stam, time, money, etc. That's not really GH's objective as a profit-driven business like you mentioned. If the community wants these resources, they are the ones that need to provide them. If that community thinks PADX is dead, they need to come up with their own alternatives. Problem is that the game is old and there's far fewer people interested in taking on that job so we take what we can get. There's also plenty of other resources to use. Youtube, Skyozora, PADX, and Dadguide should give you everything you need.

14. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn You can't take the sky from me. Staff Member

User ID:
    Imho, the problem with running dungeons blind and just feeling them out is that there are too many gimmicks that require specific solutions. I could spend a fair amount of time on a longer/more complicated dungeon, only to realize I basically can't beat it because I didn't bring the right active or awoken skill.

That causes me to just bring boring B&J into most unknown dungeons, as they can handle the most gimmicks. Then, if the dungeon is too complicated, I'll often get frustrated and stop trying. A guide would help with all that.

I mean, these things are ad-supported, so they do get paid something. I'd guess that PADX has seen less traffic, resulting in less revenue, and that's partly why it doesn't get updated as much anymore.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  15. bp1976

bp1976 Pittsburgh, PA Born and Raised

User ID:
    This is a good thread and brings up some valid points. In my opinion, the game and its player community have developed together and have a symbiotic relationship. Without the community, GH would go under, and without GH, the community would not have a game to play/complain about.

I think the people that are saying that the game design has evolved under the assumption that players have these resources have a completely valid point. Also that the monster move-sets have been data-mined. (I mean come on, do you have any idea how much time it would take to trial-and-error Zeus Dragon's move-sets on the 20th floor of A3?).

In addition, the newer content is designed in such a way that you cannot clear content without having a counter to certain mechanics. For example, in AA you have multiple tanky spawns, a sub boss with 20 million defense, and a boss with 800 million effective HP, but two absorb spawns. It is nearly impossible to damage control and still spit out the high damage numbers that AA requires, so a fujin active is basically necessary.

I think we are just starting to feel the pain of the lack of PADx dungeon data. As new and increasingly power crept content is released, the game will continue to get even more difficult to play and enjoy, especially for the veterans who have become accustomed to playing the way we have been playing for several years.

I also want to shout out to @Reni and the crew for all the work they put in to keep the site running and as updated as it is. No one pays them to do it. I would love to start a gofundme or something to put some money in their pockets, but I don't know if anyone would actually donate anything. I also don't know if money/time is the problem, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the dungeon data was unable to be data mined the same way as it used to, but I could be crazy. I am getting old.

I don't speak Chinese so I don't know how updated Skyozora is, and I don't know if JP has access to it's own dungeon data through a Japanese fan site. I tend to think this is probably more of an NA problem, perhaps someone can chime in on whether JP has an accurate site for dungeon data. I know GH usually listens to the JP player base when it comes to making changes or fielding complaints, so as usual, my "If it isnt a problem in JP it won't get any attention" attitude will probably be my opinion.

Or maybe I am just spouting BS. Who knows. LOL

16. Orange Crush

Orange Crush PAD's Nostradamus

User ID:
    @bp1976

Yeah that pretty much summarizes it.

Though blind runs aren’t really as bad as it seems. We had a free roll at the Great Witch Machine, several 10* Rems, some with ~30% 6* or higher GFE rates, the ability to trade for chase cards and have been given several hundred stones in the last 2 months. Even more if you count the number of dungeon resets and 6 year/New Years challenge dungeons. I also went from ~0 MP points when Kuroyuri was released to 1.2m right now without purging.

All that should be able to combine into some team that can cover most mechanics.