Lamenting the loss of PADX? Worried about slow activity on the Forums?

Discussion in 'P&D Discussion' started by Zaku, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Zaku

Zaku Delete Kirin off your friendlists

PADherder:
    link
    I kinda feel like some of you guys are fossils from the dial-up era of the internet, so this is kind of a PSA: Forums as a medium are like so 2015 at this point. Newer people savvy enough to look up information about PAD land on different pages now than an archaic forum.

PAD has a very active reddit (it's basically like a new-age more transient forum, there's a reddit for every topic you can think of) where you can generally find the latest information minutes after JP announces it. People also post videos and tips for the latest dungeons.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PuzzleAndDragons/

PAD also has multiple Discord servers. Discord is a gaming-focused chat interface that supports voice-chat and memes. You can access these on your browser, but Discord also has a desktop app that's very intuitive to use.

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THE BENEFIT OF THE PAD DISCORDS
    There is an automated bot created by a very dedicated fan of PAD that pulls up information in a very good-looking interface that I personally have been using in place of PADx ever since it was created. Pic related. You just call up the information and the bot spits it out for you.
    upload_2018-2-24_23-19-13.png

Our very own forums have a Discord Server that barely gets anyone new, even though it's linked in the forum chatbox header. Presumably because most people don't know about it.
    Invite Link to PAD Forum Discord: https://discord.gg/jbtqTuB

If you're looking for coop on the fly, there's few places better than the PAD community Server, which is basically the Discord for the reddit I linked above. None of that finangling your timezones and schedules or whatever, just pop in and ask for coop in real-time. There are also so many chat categories and fairly active discussions at all times of the day.
    Invite Link to PAD Comm Server: https://discord.gg/pad

Fridgeboy, SamS and Iluvatar like this.
  2. Roland

Roland Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    odd that you post on a forum, that trashes forum usage.

3. WatermelonOwl

WatermelonOwl Smol light demon

User ID:
    399 756 307
    There's a reason why the forum has the least activity out of all PAD communities.

You did also trash PDX and proceeded to try and make your own. Huh.
    If you read or looked at anything else Zaku posted, Discord has an answer to that as well.

4. Roland

Roland Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Maybe the forum is not used much, ok, no real need to post that people should go elsewhere, at least not while here on the forum.

I don't see PADx doing well it isn't updated, I am not posting that on the PADx site though. No worries, just seems an odd method of trashing this forum.

Yes, discord must be the answer for everyone then.

Have a wonderful day, bash away.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  5. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Oh no. I am so sad now. You disagree of my website preference. Shit what am I going to do now that internet rando doesn't approve of me?

Roland likes this.
  6. Zaku

PADherder:
    link
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/facetious
    upload_2018-2-25_8-39-18.png

As evidenced by my post count and/or history I am a fairly active member of these forums. There are just legitimately so many posts where it seems like people are unaware of these newer mediums that I felt like making this thread was necessary. Heck the example picture is specifically because @RajaNagaSoz posted about not being able to search up Lugh in news.

A community is one of the most important aspects of player retention. You can choose to sink with the old ship and wonder why people like yourself are posting about losing interest or actually find a different, more active one.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    SamS and puñal like this.
  7. Flandre

Flandre Scarlet Devil Staff Member

reddit sucks ass tho

hanacker, puñal, Arranging and 6 others like this.
  8. Zaurora

Zaurora Momiji Best Girl

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    The thing the forums will always have over the Discord server is its "permanence." Once you post something in a Discord channel, it's gonna get swept away in a sea of messages and eventually forgotten, but a post in the forums will kinda always be there. It also feels a little more organized and personal.

nickjr, Tek7, Arranging and 1 other person like this.
  9. Fendeezy

Fendeezy Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Because in the era of instant gratification the shitposters and trolls want immediate reactions. Not gonna get that in a forum.

10. Roland

Roland Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I see the point and maybe the best interest of others was your goal. No worries.

11. HappyNoms

HappyNoms Ogliarchial collectivist

PADherder:
    link
    I'm on both and they're each fine, however they do different things.

This forum is more persistent, and it is easier to strike up informal friendships over time. It's also often more analytic in post length and detail. Discord over the years is slowly evolving to that, but the feature set is younger and targets a different psychological demographic. That's fine. It slowly evolves improvements.

Discord can seem a fair bit more impersonal and ephemeral, although I think if you run in the discord carry / coop rooms a good bit and friend list the people you run dungeons with, you eventually bump into them again when on line and build up relations. It's very time dependant though. It's possible to friend up there however, and I can recommend it as gradually effective. Otoh, if you self coop a lot, it's less great, as it's killing off regular forums while not being terribly relevant to those that favor self-coop.

The main plusses on discord are the info bots, the occasionally relevant sticky posts, and finding coop partners randomly.

Good luck finding info if your topic isn't recently topical though. It's pretty chit chat on the latest topic/runs of the week, and not an archive. Otoh, sooner or later someone will evolve up a good generalist discord archival bot.

Also, they seem to rearrange/split/merge all the rooms of pad at least once a month, almost like some kind of amusing compulsion, but eventually they'll settle. Discord overall, how informative a set of channels/rooms are tends to depend a lot on the admins.

The most vexing aspect I've never really resolved, is that while I like pickup coop games and carry room fine, the super time zone dependant nature of who you meet makes it really hard to port friends from one forum/site to another, and I'm fond of reading a lot of people here, and find myself missing you guys when I'm doing discord sessions.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    nickjr, Arranging, tanpopo and 2 others like this.
  12. ta11geese3

ta11geese3 azure rathalos

I used to post a ton here. Reddit and discord have definitely taken over though. There's just more discussion and activity. PF is like a ghost town compared to its glory days.

As others have mentioned though forums do some things better - guides and discussions pertaining to specific leads for example. Reddit is by nature a news link site, so every topic dies after a day or two. Thankfully teams are all so similar these days that you don't need in depth discussion anymore xd run 7c run fua pair with diablos or leader swap gj

Still, I've noticed that even reddit has slowed down a lot. PAD news just isn't as exciting or frequent anymore, and team comp and strategies are much more shallow too.

Jph81 likes this.
  13. Tyizor

Tyizor Wandering Planaria

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Things on the forums seem to last longer and it's *much* easier to filter out rants/accomplishments when you aren't in the mood for that. I get why people use discord/reddit over it, but even though I lurk a lot more now, I enjoy the forum community way more. Discord's analysis/theory-crafting is real-time and doesn't quite last as a permanent post, and reddit rarely has any sort of analysis pop up from my experience. It's mostly just people posting screenshots of meme-teams unless you start digging.

I know PF is dying, but I still prefer walking around in a shell of what used to be than moving on to a medium that i don't enjoy using. I've already lost most of my interest in PaD anyways. The forums and Reni's blog is more or less the only thing that keeps me somewhat interested.

nickjr, Arranging, Murdurus and 3 others like this.
  14. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Semi-IAP..damn you GH

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    All this guy was doing was putting out additional places for information. Granted his first sentence has some sarcasm in it, generally speaking the more places one can get information the better.

SamS and Zaku like this.
  15. CloudStrife

User ID:
    The premise of the thread may be coming from a good place but when you start off a post with a paragraph that is only a few shades from "hey dumbass" there should be an expectation of some responses of equal character.

nickjr, Vahneo and Trap like this.
  16. Zaku

PADherder:
    link
    Yeah people like that are like, literally worse than hitler.

17. Flandre

Flandre Scarlet Devil Staff Member

You mean you're not enthralled by the wall of posts on Reddit consisting of exciting and refreshing topics such as "My first page of +297 Shynees", "Anublos clears challenge level 10", "What should I buy with my MP?", and "What happened to PDX?"

symplecto, nickjr, Arranging and 3 others like this.
  18. CloudStrife

User ID:
    Are you a jackass all of the time or is this thread a special event?

19. bp1976

bp1976 Pittsburgh, PA Born and Raised

User ID:
    Hey why did you bring Hitler into this?

He was happily dead until now.

Nazi Zombie collab confirmed. Awoken Hitler the chase card.

Awoken Hitler(R/D): God/Devil/Attacker

HP: 4000 / ATK: 3500 / RCV: 0

Leader Skill: Blitzkreig! All att attack x5. x1 for each combo, up to 15x. Att x3 on turns that a skill is used.

Active Skill: Seig Heil! Delay enemies for 5 turns. Ignores and overrides all enemy status shields and debuffs.

This is a joke please don’t anyone get super
    Offended.

Arranging, Zaku, tanpopo and 2 others like this.
  20. CloudStrife

User ID:
    I might need a safe space after reading your post. :dead: