List of Things To Not Do in Multiplayer

Discussion in 'P&D Discussion' started by Knomraski, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Knomraski

Knomraski Bowl of Herp

I’ve always been too intimidated to go sit and play poker at a table in Vegas, mostly because I’m afraid of violating a rule or some kind of etiquette. I imagine it would turn into a lecture by the dealer about everything I’m doing wrong:

-Don’t put your hand on the table, sir!
    -Don’t touch your cards yet, sir!
    -No cash bets, sir- only chips!
    -Chips must be stacked!
    -No betting at this time.
    -Sir, please make a bet.
    -Are you motioning to be “hit.” This is poker, not blackjack, sir.
    -You must remain seated while playing, sir!

I had similar reservations when beginning multiplayer. So, I thought that if there was a comprehensive list of Dos & Don’ts for beginners to look at, it might decrease their inhibitions and encourage more players to give it a try, which would in turn decrease the odds of us sitting in the waiting queue/lobby by ourselves.

1. Be mindful of the orb needs of the person who follows you. If you need 6 light orbs to activate your leaderskill and kill Monster X, and the person following you also needs 6 light orbs to activate their LS, then do not use 18 light orbs and leave the following player marooned.
    2. Similarly, if you need light orbs and the following player is using Athena, and you can finish Monster X without using their dark and water orbs, then you shouldn’t’t use dark and water orbs. Note: Do not be offended, however, if someone needs to use your preferred orbs. Combo leads, usually (in multiplayer) Kushi, Blue Hunter and Anubis devour everything in sight indiscriminately because they need to.
    3. Engorging yourself on all the heart orbs (unnecessarily) when you’re at 100% HP and the poor bastard after you just ate a 99% gravity is going to piss people off.
    4. If an easy boss is 2 turns away from attacking, it’s often nice (and strategic) to set the board up and conserve the orbs of choice for the following player. It lowers your CD by 1 and gives the next player an easy kill.
    5. Learn which mobs have non-attacks their first move. Hera-Sol, Zeus Dios are two examples who just cast a status shield on themselves their first turn. Zeus Mercury casts a Water Skyfall buff. Which leads to the next item on the list.
    6. Use Skyfalls carefully. If you are playing with 2 Blue Hunters and Zeus Mercury just cast a 99 turn Blue Skyfall buff and you eliminate it by casting a 1 turn dark Skyfall buff, they will be unhappy.
    7. If someone is spamming “Nice” it means they want you to pass your turn. You should do that 95% of the time. It usually means they can OHKO the boss.
    8. Do not be stingy with your actives. Use them conservatively, but as needed. I can’t count the number of times all 3 players have been eliminated because 2/3 players refused to use an active regardless of how hopeless the situation was without the use of an active.
    9. One of my biggest blunders when beginning multiplayer was failing to account for the lack of the +2sec badge. It makes a huge difference and if you aren’t prepared for it you’ll look like a fool.
    10. It’s OK to pass if you’re unsure of your comboing ability. If Monster X is going to absorb any combos of 7 or less, and you struggle with 6, you should consider passing.
    11. If you have a really shitty connection, don’t play multiplayer. What often happens is the 3 players start the dungeon and the guy with the shitty connection gets booted, leaving the remaining 2 players to get through the dungeon with a big handicap. (Although there are times somebody is a huge anchor and you’ll wish there were only two of you.)

What did I forget? Probably lots.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  2. xer 21

xer 21 Mathematically the Worst Player on the Forums

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    6. to be fair, not all BH teams are blue. mine is light based for instance.

10. I'd argue if you cant hit 6 combos you shouldnt be in 3P UDR.

3. らぶたん

らぶたん 元AKB48

stop being so tryhard about multiplayer. it makes content so damn easy already there's absolutely no reason to be so hardcore about it.

Hoohah2 likes this.
  4. Knomraski

Knomraski Bowl of Herp

You’re right. I meant to include the qualifier “blue focused” to my Blue Hunter example. Actually, I think most blue hunters aren’t blue focused, although the influx of awesome new blue cards from the Summer collab are swinging things back in that direction.

The ability to hit 6 combos is probably a fair expectation for UDR. But there are some players who can hit 9 or 10 combos with no actives, locks on half the orbs and a chunk of board real estate consumed by fog, blinds or that weird scrolly-thingy that some bosses use to block of the top and bottom rows. I’m not one of those people. If there was a combo absorb active under those circumstances, I would likely pass.

5. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    He's right though about a lot of this. I can't count on my fingers how many times I've been left high and dry by teammates eating up all the hearts and my color of attacking orbs.

6. Knomraski

Knomraski Bowl of Herp

Huh?
    Trying hard makes the game easier and there’s no reason for it? I literally have no idea what concept you are attempting to communicate, except perhaps to inform people you’ve had a stroke and need medical attention.

If that’s the case, blink twice!

7. kiarahakura

kiarahakura One Piece Collab

User ID:
    311 462 320
    PADherder:
    link
    You just explained why I refuse to enter multiplayer for harder content (both 2p and 3p). Unless I setup the session intentionally with the other person and have some way to communicate (discord, etc) - then I just don't really do coop except for farming things like tamas and predras.

My puzzling ability seems to drastically vary when I play coop as well (anxiety maybe?). And I assure you it's not a lack of fingers... I don't use the TE badge very often (I tend to favor the +15% hp badge). Anyway ... if I fail running something solo no harm done. If i fail running something in coop I just cost that person their time+stam (and for some reason that makes me feel really bad haha).

Knomraski likes this.
  8. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Semi-IAP..damn you GH

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    These are the my biggest gripes, understand players after you have needs as well. If you don't need to combo away a color or heart, just don't. Focus on clearing non-useful orbs, its good practice for single player too.

ambiguous57 likes this.
  9. BonerChamp69

BonerChamp69 I'm huge

The orb conservation is great. I cleared 3p arena once with 2 strangers. One team was so damn janky I have no idea how he survived. Barbara x Noctis lol.
    Anyways I played Gkali and the other guy played Dathena. He saved me greens as much as he could and because of that I could oneshot a lot of the floors without popping actives

10. らぶたん

らぶたん 元AKB48

I'm saying the stuff is so trivial that you don't need to stress about it.

11. Knomraski

Knomraski Bowl of Herp

I’ve never met anyone that had a 100% success rate in 3P pick-up groups before. Are you actually suggesting that 3P UDR is “so trivial” that you can carry two inept incompetents through the whole dungeon singlehandedly?

I have seen even the most skilled players sink like a rock because they tried carrying a couple dead weights.

Let’s assume that you are as good as you seem to believe you are, just to avoid a needless debate. What is the harm in helping less well-informed and experienced players learn from others’ mistakes?

I’m guessing I’m averaging about a 50% success rate. Sometimes it’s because I flub a OHKO. Sometimes I’ll be a dumbass and forget about a resolve or something equally stupid. Sometimes my impeccably planned 8x combo is 1-orb off and quickly becomes a 5x combo and I heal the boss to full. Sometimes I’ll get RNGed to death by a random preemptive that curbstomps me. Usually though, I fail when I’m partnered with completely useless teammates.

I’d love to team up with you, because if you are to be believed, your perfection is contagious and infects everybody you partner with.

12. xer 21

xer 21 Mathematically the Worst Player on the Forums

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    i think he's saying, its a game, dont get so twisted about it.

13. Knomraski

Knomraski Bowl of Herp

I suspect you are correct. I was simply offering what I hoped was good advice for people hesitant to begin multiplayer.

14. Argly902

Argly902 DALTON

PADherder:
    link
    Here's one

If your lead can't dish out damage like Yog/Anubis, the yog players will probably dislike you. So if you're running old meta teams, your team mates will probably hate you for being deadweight and you will probably die. Therefore, stay out of 3P

15. Knomraski

Knomraski Bowl of Herp

I kinda, sorta agree.

Two solid players with top tier teams can easily carry a Tier C team. One fantastic player can carry two Tier C teams if they refrain from being imbeciles.

I usually don’t care for Dathena partners, but I recently played with one who was a virtual Swiss Army knife of niche actives. Orb unlocks, board refresh (not a full board change, mind you) and a couple other actives that are fairly uncommon in UDR teams. He was totally the MVP. Usually though, seeing Dathena in UDR is bad news.

Anything with less than a 144x multiplier is probably not going to be competitive. There are exceptions, but usually only when played by very, very highly skilled players (Blujin is a good example). Even Kushi is falling off slightly. I really don’t mind carrying players with yesteryear’s meta teams. I cleared UDR with an ABastet earlier today. He wasn’t an idiot and I had fun. However, if you’re playing a Pandora team badly, yes, I will be annoyed.

UDR is also a great source of gameplay tips and tidbits. If you aren’t a fan of watching videos online, it’s the next best thing.

16. Argly902

Argly902 DALTON

PADherder:
    link
    Bastet, Shiva, those kind of teams at least bring damage with them

Now someone carry me through 3P when I'm using my dank XM team pls

17. HappyNoms

HappyNoms Ogliarchial collectivist

PADherder:
    link
    Eh. Half these rules I ignore because they are no fun, and I'm 3p for the lulz and drama llama moments, where it's stellar saves with skyfalls or having (or engineering) your colleagues deaths so you can claim solo victory. Nobody walking into 3p floor madness is truly an innocent.

That said, for every time I lulz a team in or dice roll on somebody, I try and superhero some other run. I have a few other rules come up.

1A If you are dead on board, full board prep 0-3 combo so your surviving player has a dream board. Bonus flair: 0 combo if the color ratios are perfect or near perfect is legit.
    1B If you are dead on board, pop any actives that might be useful to the survivors. The amount of times I see people die with something like an Indra shield or a boost unused...

2 if you know what's up, eying the leads/teams, consider an early strategic pass to line up the floors with the teams to OHKO cleanly through. Particularly when you have something like one DPS player you all need for the last floor that works best there before or after the first couple boss moves.

3 Consider making hearts for your gravity mauled friend. Keeping all his actives alive, or his presence to deal some damage and soak a hit while dying on a later floor, is often worth more than one of your actives. Think of your actives pool as a team.

4 notice when you show up at end floor with unspent actives and you aren't the dps end floor slayer. 3p team mixes vary, but it often means you aren't liberal enough with early/midfloor actives and youre either stressing your partners actives more than needed, or could have assurance shielded/boosted them mid.

5 If you can take a hit, consider board prepping and eating the hit. You conserve two teams actives. Your friend will be much more likely to ohko, naturally or via fewer actives, and you can tackle the next floor that may be dangerous with your actives conserved and with you up for its OHKO. Carry with intent, don't just tryhard and let the peasants fend for themselves.

6 sidegrade/downgrade your boilerplate sub compositions to actually well positioned subs for 3p. The times people bring whatever standard tricolor board change that fails to work due to locked orbs, when they could have brought an unlock double orb changer that would have actually been good/better. That kind of sideways tweak opportunity is rife in 3p descends. Just 1 slot goes a long way.

18. Noobzilla

Noobzilla noobest of the noobs

User ID:
    @kiarahakura how I felt when I failed you twice in coop ='(

@Knomraski if you read around the forums frequently enough to see his posts, you would learn never to take him so seriously. He likes to flame people

19. らぶたん

らぶたん 元AKB48

advice is nice, guides is kinda what the PAD community is build around. but with multiplayer there's always been this kind of intimidation like you said, and I worry that if you present someone with a list like this it might make them think "I have to memorize this 20+ point list or else I will fail at multiplayer". when in reality your success even in UDR depends a lot more on how OP your team is and if you have someone with a setup for the final floor.

BurningMan likes this.
  20. SuperAngryNoob

SuperAngryNoob Member

User ID:
    7. If someone is spamming “Nice” it means they want you to pass your turn. You should do that 95% of the time. It usually means they can OHKO the boss.

THIS!!!

Knomraski likes this.