Lucky 7's Tournament

Discussion in 'Rants and Accomplishments' started by taen, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I've only ever cared about the 10% rewards, never the crown. Ranking dungeons have always infuriated me. When the second PADZ ranking came around, I figured out how to get into sort of a zone where I wasn't as bothered with lost runs, and tried to learn optimal strategies for speed vs damage based off fails. I'm no stellar player, but I do consider myself not awful, so the fixed teams combined with the new outlook has proven doable. Plus, specifically for this ranking, I do play a good bit of Bolas so I'm not the worst at no skyfall X-orbs-remaining leads.

And yeah, it sucks when you know you can do it but you just keep making silly mistakes. The number of runs I lost on this ranking to 7c boards on Sleipnir...

I think fundamentally, for this ranking you have to be able to clear a board. Just your bog-standard, 2 horizontal combos and then 6 vertical going across, normal full board solve. If you can do that, you can make minor adjustments to throw in Ls and whatnot to clear down to 5 orbs.

If you'd like me to share some tips from my experience in this specific ranking, I can. Again, I'm by no means claiming to be amazing, and my score was fairly mediocre in terms of crowning scores really, but I did pick up some helpful tips here and there, and would be happy to compile them alongside some observations of my own. Regardless, best of luck over the weekend with your continued runs.

2. ko300zx

ko300zx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Well you certainly seem to be doing pretty well based on the last few scores I've seen :D. Your scores definitely put you well above the cutoff so I don't see you having any trouble with future ones if you keep going for them. I'm pretty much in the same boat. I never really went for them. I always used my stam to farm killers and ranks when I could. Lately however, I've got more killers than I can use and ranking up is to the point where its a bit more xp than I want to continuously grind. Decided I would give ranking a shot and was successful the last 2. Was all set and ready for Sonia-Elle than this curveball came lol. Probably would have practiced with some Takakami or something similar.

I've been doing the standard 2x6 you mentioned but I've gotten into the habit of just brute forcing boards rather than seeing the bigger picture and making smart, fast moves. It hurts me more often than it helps. Great for normal runs but not so much for this. Doesn't always leave enough time to bridge when needed. That's definitely something else I've learned from this and need to adapt to. Can see my issues but not sure I have time to fix them and improve before it's over. Oh well, there's always the next one. Thanks for the good luck wishes. Think I'm just gonna skip it all tomorrow and give it a final run on Sunday. Let my brain relax lol.

Oh, and don't sell yourself short. You're in the top what, 2% of all NA players? Not awful? That's absolutely stellar.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Trap likes this.
  3. woodyfly

woodyfly Active Member

Ranking dungeons are cancer

4. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Well thank you very much for the complements about the scores. They're really nothing all that special, but my view has been skewed a bit by all my time on the forums and especially on twitch. Twitch is where the really top players like to hang out, and since I've been dabbling in streaming I've had plenty of opportunity to be embarrassed about my play. But I digress.

Be very careful when it comes to optimal brute force boards. You say the "standard 2x6"; do you mean like this?:
    XXXYYY
    AAABBB
    CCCDDD
    ZZZFFF
    GGGHHH

(the standard 10c board for bicolors, but not optimal for natural boards)

or like this?:
    XXXYYY
    AAABBB
    CDZFGH
    CDZFGH
    CDZFGH
    (the optimal for brute forcing naturals)

It's very important for this ranking to use the second one. By solving the top 2 horizontals first, then going left to right (or right to left, whatever is easier on the specific board), you make sure you don't block yourself in, and give yourself plenty of room to make Ls and full combo the board. The first one gives you no way to access combos that you've already made without destroying others, which handicaps your ability to clear down to 5 orbs when you don't have a 9c board. Also of note is that it's technically slightly faster to solve top to bottom with this ranking dungeon, because if all your leftover orbs are at the bottom of the board already they don't go through the falling animation. It's a tiny optimization thing, but you might as well try.

5. Flandre

Flandre Scarlet Devil Staff Member

Had a change of plans and skipped SGF and dumped all the stones into ranking instead to chase for 150k just for fun

90 stones later I still haven't come close

Feels good man

tanpopo and Trap like this.
  6. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Going for 150k?!?! What is that, 4 natural 10c boards or so? Plus really efficient comboing, too. Best of luck. I'd love to see it if it happens!

7. Flandre

It's more speed than anything, but yeah I'm sure four 10c boards in a row might do it as well lol, provided you combo fast on them

I'm not as fast as the top guys in JP who finished with like 200 seconds left so I've been basically needing to pray for 9c boards that are half pre-solved already on the final 3 floors to help compensate for my slower comboing lol

Trap likes this.
  8. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    That's insane. I could only dream of that sorta run... best of luck. Please let us know if you get it! Lol

9. Flandre

Well I'm out of stones now lol so I don't have many more chances off of just natural stamina

Only managed to hit 147k twice and 146k a small handful of times, most completed runs were in the 142-144k range

10. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Still not too bad there! Sorry you didn't hit your top 3 run though... would've liked to see your name there. Maybe you'll get lucky off natural stam? There's still hope haha

11. tanpopo

tanpopo adventure!

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    90 stones?!:wideyed: I felt like I spend a lot of time playing the ranking dungeons, but that really puts things into perspective.

12. ko300zx

ko300zx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Yeah, the second example. Ended like 350 points short. Too hungover to make any progress yesterday. Pretty disappointed with this one given that one early run I had. Knowing I can get a good score but just letting nerves get the best of me when it mattered. Oh well.

13. Flandre

Nope, didn't get lucky off natural stam lol

Here's the score breakdown for my best run

yamo and Trap like this.