MisterDrgn's Achievement Thread

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by MisterDrgn, Feb 13, 2016.

1. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn You can't take the sky from me. Staff Member

User ID:
    You mean Twinlits? I used to get so many pal points for putting Zeus up for Twinlits.

I think Satan was my original lead for Trifruits. Good times.

2. axlpowa

axlpowa Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Ah yeah, I mixed the two.

3. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    Cleared EEC with my brand-new Antares team :)

Both leads and Scarlet are +297, but the team still needs some work. Strawberry Drag needs 3 skill-ups, Uriel needs 1, Scarlet needs 1 + 25 levels. So yeah, seems like a fairly promising team.

(There's also room for improvement on the skill side. I'm not used to this playstyle, and I screw up my 5-orb matches pretty regularly.)

I'm unclear on whether Zaerog does his 100% gravity repeatedly when you knock him below 30%. If so, that would be an excellent place for stalling. In this run, I stalled a bit, screwed up one big hit, and then made another big one and got red skyfalls to knock him down to a sliver of health. He did his "100%" attack and then I accidentally chipped him down immediately.

Other fun thing: I killed the boss twice. Got skyfalls to one-shot her (oops) on the first turn. Fortunately she gives you several turns. So I waited for her to make poison, then hit her for 70% of her hp with Antares. Then finished her with Scarlet.

Somehow, after all that, I still had other Antares + Strawberry available after she died. The hastes are so nice. Now I just need those final skill-ups...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  4. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    Scarlet skill-ups are kind of a pain, but she's pretty awesome (on this team and others). Especially mixed in with other hastes.

I was ridiculously lucky, getting XMas Ronia in four pulls (was actually trying for the healer girls, whom I mostly didn't get). Her active's CD is slightly longer that regular Ronia's, which mostly doesn't matter 'cuz you don't use her often. But it has a 2-turn haste, which really helps for ensuring that Scarlet is ready to help her, or other stuff is ready to follow-up afterwards.

David@PF and RageSedai like this.
  5. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    Ares has dem rows, and he might be getting even better soon, so I can see the appeal. But his active overlaps with Antares somewhat. I kinda like heart-makers over him in difficult dungeons, as you can use them for defense or combo them with Antares for the same effect.

I mean, depending on the heart-maker. Uriel and Yamato over Ares for sure (but probably you're taking Yamato anyway). If it's a simple heart-maker like Strawberry Dragon, I can see where it's hard not to pick Ares over that. Altho I still might, depending on the makeup of the rest of the team.

Tsubaki's fun. I'd probably stick one (or two?) on the Antares team for speed-running simpler dungeons. Although at that point you could just lead with Tsubaki.

I would consider getting a Shiva Dragon someday. But MPs are tough for me--at 100k right now, could get to ~240k without major sacrifices. I dunno if Shivagon is sad without Ares, as I'd basically just run a hasty Uriel/Antares/Tsubaki/Tsubaki.

RageSedai likes this.
  6. samuelburtt

samuelburtt mono-green advocate

User ID:
    351 340 253
    Nice EEC clear! I'm loving just how crazy flexible Antares is. It's really hard to say what the "ideal" line up is right now, or if there really even is one. But I fed 297s to uriel and yamato yesterday. I'm looking at scarlet next I guess?

R/B Ame no uzume is looking very nice for bind clear and even packs relevant awakenings for the team.

David@PF and RageSedai like this.
  7. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    I wish I had an Ame, but I have two other bind-clearers who fit reasonably well on the team:

1) Red Riding Hood: Has decent awoken skills and can sub for Strawberry.
    2) RGY: Great stats and awoken skills (more auto-heal!), but only two turns of bind-clear. Also: Do you really need a third heart-breaker? Would probably sub for Sonia.

One big issue is that both are skill level 1 currently.

Overall, I feel like binds are the biggest weakness of the team, since you're screwed if your leaders are bound. Like, I was looking at today's new Descend, and as much fun as it would be to play with Antares, it would be so much easier with AAma. Annoyingly bind-heavy dungeon.

I think 2x bind resist is at the top of my want list for future Antares evos.

8. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    Okay, went ahead and cleared Take with Antares. But I died on the first try 'cuz I one-shot wave 1, and wave 2 leaves very little time to stall, which makes it tough to have a skill level 1 Red Riding Hood up by wave 3, even with hastes.

Hm, it's annoying that there are two descend bosses with long JP names that shorten to "Take" now. And you can't even distinguish them by calling one "the good Take" cuz they both suck. (Or does this guy have a use somewhere??)

9. samuelburtt

samuelburtt mono-green advocate

User ID:
    351 340 253
    Nah this Take dude is definitely useless.

I actually used Antares to clear this too in the end after dying a swift death with my whole team bound running Verdandi (serves me right for not checking out the dungeon info first)...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  10. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    This is stupidly late, but here are my results from Challenge Descended! 7.

I like to try out new teams by clearing all descends with the same lead. But this time I used an old team, AAma, 'cuz I realized I hadn't done this before with her, plus I hadn't cleared Scarlet with her. But then I ended up being lame and just running AAma/Saria vs. Scarlet (not that different from Thor/Saria) because I recalled that when I'd tried it before, I didn't quite have enough hp to tank a normal hit from Hera-Ur.

If I remember right, there were two deaths from stupid things (overhitting and enraging monsters), neither of them on the Legend Plus dungeons (one was Wada?).

Oops, guess I was late on that Sandal victory shot.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  11. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    Speaking of Scarlet, I just got her final skill-up, so she is hypermax :) Celebrated with a quick romp through 5x4 TEC.

oGambit and RageSedai like this.
  12. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    Woooo! Cleared 5x4 EEC. Generally speaking, I think this is the hardest dungeon I've ever cleared. However, it certainly isn't the hardest for Antares, who thrives in 5x4 environments with few binds.

I guess I should clear 7x6 for the stone?

Stats
    +297: Antares & friend, Uriel, Scarlet
    MS: All but Uriel (one short) and Strawberry (three short)
    Latents: 4 +attack on Antares, 5 red resist on Uriel, 4 time extend on Scarlet (honestly, the time extend is probably the mvp)

Highlights

1) Ran into Hera-Is, who can be a bit of a pain. After knocking her down to maybe 80%, I decided to hit her hard, trigger the bind, and just hope my only bind remover (XMas Sonia) could save me. But I ended up just killing her. The team hits pretty damn hard with two rows.

2) I'm not sure I needed the help, but after Hera-Is, I got lots of green monsters. Gaia (super easy to stall through the red absorb), Zeus-Dios, Osiris, Green Dragon Knight, even Green Sonia (more on her later). Osiris was annoying for the green/dark skyfall the rest of the dungeon, but at least those feed into Strawberry and Uriel (again, more on that later).

3) Belial makes life easy, and Satan is for sure safer than Beelz, so getting those two was nice.

4) Best Strategic Decision: Freakin' Wadatsumi. Combo shield sucks in 5x4 with a row team (also looking at you, Medjed), especially when you're also against your weakest color. After stalling a while, I managed to put together a nice setup where I was healing while also hitting hard with a 4x combo, meaning that I'd kill with a skyfall or heal and continue stalling without. Got the skyfall to almost finish her. But my board sucked for making a 5-combo and a 5-orb killing shot--I could basically do one or the other, though maybe someone more skilled could do both. After thinking about it, I made a 4-combo, knocked her above 25% hp (so she wouldn't rage-shot me), and then killed her afterward.

5) Part where I most thought I was dead: Against Green Sonia, I popped Strawberry without thinking, then realized that there were only 4 non-red/non-heard orbs on the board (freakin' Osiris' green skyfall). So I couldn't make two rows, which is the way I normally kill-shot. I thought I couldn't even activate the LS, and I came very close to giving up and quitting before remembering I could make a @Grizztof style 5-orb corner match with just 4 non-red orbs.

6) 29-30: Stalled through Zaerog's first big hit. Then popped Uriel + Antares, hit him below 50%, took his gravity, realized that with no hearts I was gonna die. So I had to kill him quickly with Sonia + Scarlet, reaching the boss with few actives and little health. Stalled two turns, using Strawberry to get enough hp to tank her first hit. That gave me three turns to kill her (using her poison orbs against her). I used all three turns. I forget the exact ordering of actives, but the first hit left her a sliver above 50%, so I had to make another small-ish hit before the killing blow.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  13. Grizztof

Grizztof Shirley, you can't be serious.

9 turn wait on Strawberry would kill me. Yeah, two rows gets close to 11 million if there are a good number of +orbs. (edit: forgot we were talking 5x4)

14. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    Yeah, but who wants to farm Defoud for skill-ups (aside from you)?

Honestly, I've considering pii-ing Strawberry. I've been frivolous with red piis (15 on 2x Tsubaki + Antares), and yet I'm currently sitting on 13 of them. In theory, they'd be better spent on awoken evos like Shiva and Kagu, but I don't really use those guys (haven't even evolved them).

On the other hand, I'm really concerned about binds. Sonia can only do so much. So I feel like Red Riding Hood will likely replace Strawberry in a lot of high-end dungeons. As I've said before, I think unbindable might be my #1 want for future Antares evos.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Grizztof likes this.
  15. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    After clearing 5x4 EEC, I figured I should do 7x6 for the stone. So I jumped in with my Osiris team that I haven't used in forever.

Not much to say. Pretty easy clear. Everything's hypermax, except Liu Bei who's +179.

16. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    Finished off Challenge Dungeons! 22. Team Red came to play. Antares cleared 8 and 9 (first try), and I finally got to cheese a C10 with Minerva.

(Antares, Uriel, Scarlet hypered. Bodin and Zera +297.)

This is a nice C10 for Minerva cheese because the entire dungeon is light/dark/red. However, you have to deal with first-turn full board poison, and you have to deal with Kali. I went through several possible team iterations:

1) Antares/Uriel/Strawberry/XMas Hera
    I like this setup, but with only 6 skill boosts, Antares wouldn't be up on wave 1. So it was a non-starter. I would have replaced Hera with Zera, but my Zera is unevolved, so it also has only one sb. Or I would have replaced Antares with RGY, but my RGY is unskilled.

2) Antares/Uriel/Bodin/XMas Hera
    Bodin got me the necessary skill boosts, at a cost to firepower. This setup made it to the boss fairly easily, but after popping Hera's 30% gravity, I couldn't deal the additional 5% of max hp (had to deal 3 mil 'cuz of her shield, should have calculated this first). So I died.

3) ALeilan/Uriel/Bodin/Zera
    I sacrifice yet another red monster for Zera's active to guarantee surviving the first turn vs. Kali. Burst is Leilan->Uriel, and it is a *very* small burst, around 1.8 mil. A bit over 3 mil with Zera gravity. This worked, but the boss fight sucked.

Wave 1) Immediately pop Leilan. Then grind the boss down to 50%. Go slowly, so Zera can get up. When boss drops below 50% and uses full board poison, can kill with Zera + Leilan + Uriel. If you don't one-shot, it's possible to keep grinding.

Wave 2) Tends to be really easy. I had extra red resist from Minerva's awoken skills, plus Uriel has red resist latents. It gets annoying in the middle when he starts binding stuff, but whatevs. Grind to very low, then kill with Leilan + Uriel.

Wave 3) Pop Zera immediately, then grind forever. Ugh. DKali kept doing her blind + board change. And she kept skill-binding my whole team. She dealt so little dmg that I was never afraid of dying, but it was *so* hard to deal any meaningful damage. I knew that my burst could do just over 10% hp, so I was trying to grind her to this. But I realized that there were only a couple situations where her attack would leave me with monsters that had actives and a board I could see for the finishing blow. The key situation is she does her 10-turn skill bind and fails (I had only 40% resist, oops). If she succeeds, have to wait 10 turns.

She failed her skill bind when her hp was at almost exactly 10%. I took a screen shot and studied it for a while to try and make sure I was there. Then I went for it, with Zera + Leilan + Uriel. I realized after matching that I'd only done one off-color match instead of two, which might have been a problem, but then I got a red skyfall, so whatevs.

Much thanks to @LaconicLeaf for providing a hyper Minerva, and for passing me a graphic with different monster %s on it, so I could compare it to this:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    CURIOUSCOMP and Grizztof like this.
  17. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    I love spending lots of time unnecessarily to produce new tables and graphics. Not sure what that says about me. So I made a (completely redundant) timeline of challenge descended/dungeon clears: http://puzzleanddragonsforum.com/threads/misterdrgns-achievement-thread.89322/#post-1283667

Included in the table is whether I cleared the dungeon/dungeons with no deaths, which is rarely the case (I mean no restarts, all clears are 0 stone). It turns out that this last descended challenge with Wukong was the first where I cleared every dungeon (all 13) on the first try. WTG Wukong!

But I gotta clear more C10s. Only done six of those things...

win8x and RageSedai like this.
  18. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    After the utter pain of running the enormous CD 10 with Sumire, I decided to take it easy and run Challenge Descended! 11 with Thor/Saria. It was clear sailing with no deaths, which is nice because I hadn't no-deathed a full set with this team before.

It helps that everything is hypermaxed. I even played with my hyper dupe DQ, who can be nice to have around (I previously have always used a utility sub in the final position, AAma or Venus). In the future, the dupe DQ will be ADQXQ, which should be even cooler.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  19. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    Cleared all of Challenge Descended! 13 with Skuld. Relatively easy dungeons, but with everything slightly harder than usual because each dungeon enhances a different type or color.

Annoyingly I died a few times on Sonia Gran (sloppy play mostly), plus once on Journey to the West (so easy to knock Wujing into rage mode with an unlucky skyfall, but I could have been more careful).

On the other hand, I think this is the first time I cleared everything with the exact same team. That meant no bind clear, so whenever something had a bind, I just had to kill it first (e.g., Michael with his 600k green defense).

At the beginning (including Sonia Gran), everything was +297 except Sumire--hurray for getting a use out of hyper U&Y and Bodin. I finally +'d Sumire towards the end. Would have been easier if I'd just gone ahead and done it earlier. In fact, a previous challenge descended would have been a lot easier.

dms1485 likes this.
  20. dms1485

dms1485 an old noob

User ID:
    Wow congrats @MisterDrgn ! I am loving Skuld the more I play her. So much flexibility in team comps. It never occurred to me to put Bodin on her team (of course mine isn't skilled or plus yet). I'm curious about your choice of Sumire over Andro?