Monster with Longest and Shortest Reign at Top of Meta

Discussion in 'P&D Discussion' started by Knomraski, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Knomraski

Knomraski Bowl of Herp

With Monster Hunter’s upcoming release and revamp, I’ve been thinking about whether or not Diablos’ reign at the top of the tier charts would be coming to an end. I think there is a very good chance he’ll soon be one-upped by a new MH card. This is because 1. Gung-ho loves MH and it has almost certainly been one of their most lucrative collabs (probably 2nd after Final Fantasy). Financially it makes sense to move the (leader) meta along. 2. Diablos has been at the top of the meta since his release, and that is much, much longer than most other meta-champs.

And then that got me thinking about which leads have topped the meta longer than Diablos. I think Diablos may actually have had the longest run of any card ever, but my memory may be failing. I remember Myr, unfortunately, topping the charts for an excruciatingly long time. Ronia had a very long run as well.

But who had the longest run?

Which was your least favorite?

And which had the shortest? Orchid? Scarlet? YomiD?

2. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Semi-IAP..damn you GH

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Radragon had a good run at either evo, Orchid was eclipsed pretty fast. Anubis has been near the top for a long ass time too.

Tyizor and Tek7 like this.
  3. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    @Iluvatar beat me to it. RaDra for longest, XM for shortest were going to be my answers, too.

4. Nachtmacher

Nachtmacher Active Member

User ID:
    Alf
    PADherder:
    link
    I bet, Luci was longest. :)

nickjr and samuelburtt like this.
  5. Fridgeboy

Fridgeboy Active Member

User ID:
    336 207 472
    Wasn't Lmeta's Uevo short lived? I heard you could beat A3 with her and then 3 weeks later no one used her lol

6. PDF3

PDF3 Well-Known Member

Cross LMeta was never at the top even during peak hype.

Is Orchid the shortest one? My two(!) +297 Orchids are nodding their pretty heads vigorously.

7. Sparkle

Sparkle Doing it wrong since 1979

User ID:
    How long did Ronia last? How long did Godin last? I honestly don't know. My re-entry to PaD was during their reigns.

Awoken bastet. Awoken Shiva. Orchid. I got so sick of ppl losing with the "best" teams and whining about it.

It's hard for me to be helpful here. I'm almost always running non-meta leads because Meta is for convenience, scrubs that need 14 seconds to 7c, and ppl with no sense of adventure.

Gotta agree with RaDra 1.0. Totally a lead that made 30th percentile players think they were 95th percentile for the longest time.

8. sgt502

sgt502 ばかぷれーやー

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Once, ThoRia was a thing.

Anubis should be crowned the King of Meta.

Marr, Arranging and Sparkle like this.
  9. tanpopo

tanpopo adventure!

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'm not sure about top of meta, but Ronia has to be one of the longest commonly used leads in the game. I still have a handful of friends who lead with her, and it's not even her new evo either.

Murdurus and Zaurora like this.
  10. BurningMan

BurningMan Dropping the green Bomb

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Yeah ronia was the top dog for over a year. She debuted in late 2013 in jp and reigned until awoken egyptian power creep pushed her down in early 2015.
    I cleared pretty much everything from my first decend to god rush and sonia gran with her wich were by the toughest dungeons back then.

11. Fridgeboy

Fridgeboy Active Member

User ID:
    336 207 472
    And i&i and ryune

12. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    IIRC, Thor x Saria was what helped me push past the next level of content after I took my Verdandi team as far as it could go.

I remember struggling through, but ultimately clearing, Sonia Gran with my Thor x Saria team.

Then I took my Thor x Saria subs, some of which I had leveled for my LMeta team, and moved them to my Myr team.

Then I took my Myr team subs and moved them to my Amemina team.

#DQXQ4ever

nickjr likes this.
  13. CloudnineXXX

CloudnineXXX Well-Known Member

PADherder:
    link
    anubis has been good for a long while.

anubis x anubis and now anubis x diablos.

ronia x ronia and ronia x beezlebub were also good for what felt like at least a year.

14. Cheeseghost

Cheeseghost Lazyyyyy

User ID:
    I always thought Lucifer had a long reign and also much hate..and the ideal team was 2 Lucifer nukes plus friends lead...I remember gzl was so hyped, but don't remember it lasting long..

15. HappyNoms

HappyNoms Ogliarchial collectivist

PADherder:
    link
    Bitches please, Anubis has reigned since that pantheon debuted, even preAwoken.
    Literally since the days of Ronia to now, years and years.
    I'm not sure if there is any card longer.

I think Aizen had a brief but glorious run, in and out pretty fast. Excellent damage, and then looked terribad when the meta immediately thereafter jumped up to high hp multipler teams that also dealt okay damage.

Orchid lasted for many months. It arguably took a lot of plebs a long time to get the team pulled and set up suitably and they therefore have much shorter memories of how long they used it for, but if you hoped on at inception, it was a solidly decent run.

About Diablos.
    I run Enra + Mai more than I run Diablos, for easily the last month+, because Mai's x8 + shield vs Diablos x8.5 + shield is a trivial difference and Mai is more on color and has an active that actually is usable/inheritable. Shrugs. Diablos reign is already a question of team diversity and best fit, and not a clear-cut reign. Imho, when dragonbound REM hit, the meta changed, and Diablos stopped being clear-cut.

By far Myr oppression was my least favorite.
    FFS. Less liked than low-cost dungeons.
    It was fine as a mechanic, but should have stayed niche/balanced.

Murdurus and Arranging like this.
  16. ambiguous57

ambiguous57 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    I don't agree on Aizen's run being short.

He has definitely dropped somewhat, but he is still comparable to Ameno and, aside from FUA, I have a much easier time bringing in utility for Aizen than I do Ameno.

17. Sparkle

User ID:
    I'd split Anubis' reign into two parts. Part one, time extends were rare and 7x6 did not exist. Part 2, any scrub can run him.

18. HappyNoms

PADherder:
    link
    I always found that I prefer Aizen not for utility, though I agree his utility options are quite good, but because his activation works on a 6x7 board in a more natural manner than Ameno row/blobs tend to do. That said, in the era of x27 triple killer subs, and of randomly hitting for 35m with an Enra, I think both are eclipsed.

The other difference, in my experience, was Ameno had better pixels in Lightening and Cloud, granting that is box dependent, in that when you want nuts damage, you often want to contend with troll effects. Aizen was a little better with natural boards, on the other hand.

It wasn't that Aizen damage wasn't viable for a healthy calendar length, it was more that safe high hp teams came partway through his damage reign, and it made sense to be safe with good enough damage rather than run towards the glass cannon side of the house. Aizen + Dath as a split was okay though, for times when as an Aizen fan you just needed an hp bump to not have to shield some preemptive. Prior to 6x7 being absolutely rampant.

I still remember 2/4/2 leads.
    Back when an active that made hearts was good for the fair fight mid-floor battles...
    We've come a long way.

xer 21 likes this.
  19. HappyNoms

PADherder:
    link
    I think the friendliness of Diablos is that of himself he doesn't constrain your play style.
    Rows, 5OE, blob, rainbow combo, multicross, weirder stuff, whatever.
    He biases some styles better than others, but his oppression is not heavy-handed per se.

20. Sparkle

User ID:
    To be fair, rows on 7x6 when you aren't flush with max skilled tricolors resets is a PITA. My PaD weakness has always been movement speed. It's my personal glass ceiling.