Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Q&A' started by flofs, Dec 21, 2018.

1. flofs

flofs New Member

I recently pulled 10 monsters from the 10 stone super godfest something something using the 100 free stones. I was wondering if any of them are good, what kind of team composition I should use, etc etc.
    I got:
    Blazing Hands War Goddess, Macha (using her as leader, but it sucks when i get hit in event quests)
    Awoken Hino Kagutsuchi
    Awoken Mori Motonari
    Water Guarding God of Wisdom, Ea
    Serene Primordial Divinity, Amenominakanushi
    Yog-Sothoth, The One Beyond
    Awoken Nohime
    Awoken Anubis
    Awoken Tsukuyomi
    Judging Scale Steel Star Goddess, Eschamali

Also, can any of them be upgraded any further? Considering they come +297, fully evolved, fully levelled, all that. I heard about latent awakening: what is it for, is it worth it, has it been done to these monsters yet?
    What are the skill-up special quests for? From my understanding, leveling a skill takes a fusion of a monster with the same skill.
    What should I focus on doing as a newbie? Normal quests? Do they lead anywhere?
    Is it better to focus on one or two elements with my team, or make sure I'm covering every element?
    I've been dabbling in a few event quests, and having trouble with the christmas one. I tried the Super Blessed one, and I got to the last boss, but her gravity move completely destroyed me and I couldn't keep up with my healing. Do i just need more healing monsters?
    Should I buy more godfest monsters?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Noc

Noc Active Member

User ID:
    Noc
    PADherder:
    link
    You got some solid stuff :) Macha, Ameno, Yog, and Eschamali are all godfest exclusives and pretty rare. Esch is a little past her prime, but I imagine she'll eventually become good again. Yog and Ameno are great leads, and you've got some solid subs including Yomi, Nohime, Ea, and Mori. At this point, you definitely want to keep rolling. To answer your questions:
    1) A lot of them can be further evolved. Select monster from the menu at the bottom of the screen, then evolution/ultimate evolution. The cards that aren't darkened have further evolutions. You could also look up cards on padx (puzzledragonx.com) if you want to see the evolution trees more clearly.
    2) Normal dungeons are a good place to start. This game doesn't really have an ending, just progressively harder dungeons. So you're not really aiming for anything, so much as progressing and new content is added fairly frequently. Generally the normal dungeons are easiest, then some of the earlier technical dungeons (before you hit the arena), and then some of the legendary and mythical descends (e.g. the athena descended). The December Novice to int and early 6th year anniversary quest 1 dungeons are not too bad once you can beat all of the normal dungeons. By the way, the first few December dungeons are actually super easy. But, beyond that the quest dungeons are designed to be pretty challenging so you're pretty early for them at this stage in the game.
    3) The focus of your teams, depends on your leader. Generally you pick the best leader for whom you have subs. This becomes a lot easier to do as you become more familiar with the game. For a lead like Yog, you'd focus on light cards that can generate light orbs because his leader skill benefits light cards and requires attacking with multiple light combos. There are also leads like Anubis who only care about the number of combos you make in which case people tend to favor a mono-color team (usually dark) since that allows you to focus on specific colors to hit harder. But, then you have leaders like Reeche (http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=4413) that require attacking with many different colors to get your full attack multiplier in which case you want to cover the whole rainbow. In short, you chose your subs (the cards that come after your lead) based on what your lead needs. And a big consideration for selecting a lead, is having subs that suit that lead. So for example, Yog would need a lot of light cards, which you just don't have at the moment. So leading with Yog makes little sense regardless of how good he is.
    4) This early in the game, you should be rolling a lot so you can develop your box and build more coherent and powerful teams. Player's choice godfest (PCGF) has some great cards that come out ready to go, but at the cost of ten stones. Note that most godfests are 5 stones, but tend to give you crappier stuff. The number one rule for new players is to avoid rolling outside of godfests, which come approximately twice a month. In other words, you should probably avoid spending your stones on stuff like the Christmas REM, Full metal alchemist, the upcoming heroine REM, etc. if you want to get good cards as quickly as possible. On that note:
    5) You're a little early for building a coherent team, so your best bet is to use a flexible lead that will allow you to use a variety of subs. Macha is pretty good for this, but, as you've probably discovered, your damage is severely reduced any time you lose more than 20% of your hp and it can be hard to heal back because she doesn't have a recovery multiplier. At this point, I would evolve Ameno to Spirit life's primordial divinity Ameno. If you're missing materials, look them up on puzzledragonx.com to find out where to get them. If you have matching leads, each Ameno multiplies your hp and recovery by 1.5x, so for every water and light card in your team will have 2.25x hp (from matched leads) and 2.25x (recovery). You'll be able to take bigger hits and heal more easily from those big hits that you're taking. Ameno does more damage when you hit with big clusters of connected orbs, so you'd basically match orb you have the most of, e.g. fire, and then attack with water and light orbs to benefit from the damage you get from making that match. For subs, I would use Ea, Yog, and Mori. You don't have a card that fits particularly well in the last slot, so I would just stick Yomi there for her time extends, which will give you more time to make matches. If you're using Ameno correctly, you should be regularly hitting for over 1 million damage per card and the boss of the Christmas dungeon should die in 1 turn (even on the highest difficulty) as soon as you match a large number of orbs. If that's not happening or you're finding it difficult, go to the special dungeons and scroll down to the bottom of the list. Endless corridors is a free (0 stamina) dungeon with no rewards that is an excellent place for practicing. So in short, I recommend:
    Spirit's life Ameno/Yog/Mori/Ea/[Flex]
    **Your flex slot can be Yomi for now, but a better option is to go to your mail and get your pad appreciation medal. If you go to monster->monster exchange->event you can trade the medal for zeus, athena, or valkyrie ciel. Trade your medal for Valkyrie Ciel. Valkyrie ciel is a very strong light card that can remove binds when you get to technical dungeons (binds basically temporarily keep a card from being able to do anything) and can create light orbs for you. She is also one of the best leads in the game if you roll enough healers from the rare egg machine (REM), so she could potentially have additional uses as you progress depending on what you happen to roll from the REM.
    6) The other thing you need to do is look for friends with matching leads. Ideally you're looking for other Amenos that are evolved to the same evolution as yours. In a pinch, Madoo is also an okay friend lead. There are probably other decent matches, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Any time you run into an Ameno that matches yours, add them as a friend. If you're still having difficulty finding Spirit's Life Primordial Divinity Ameno players, post in the looking for friends sections here or on discord that you're looking for friends with Ameno.
    Note: Ameno's leader skill is really unusual. You'll also want to occasionally practice comboing to generally get better at the game. Most of the strongest leads in puzzle and dragons are combo-based.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    flofs likes this.
  3. flofs

flofs New Member

Thank you so much! By the way, I already spent my PAD appreciation medal on Athena. One more question: what about latent awakenings? I have some latent tamadras or whatever they're called, and I'm not sure which one to use on which card or if I should at all...

Noc likes this.
  4. Noc

Noc Active Member

User ID:
    Noc
    PADherder:
    link
    Athena is also a light card, so just put her on your Ameno team instead :) Latent awakenings are typically used to tweak your teams for some of the hardest dungeons in the game. At this point, they will make little difference. The latent tamadras stack, meaning they take up one slot in your box when you have duplicates, so I would just hold onto them for now.

By the way, if you roll a few other light orb changers (like Athena) that change orbs into light orbs or board changers (that change entire board like Yog or Ameno), you could also try making a team for Yog the limitless that hits really hard with pairs of light combos. That version of Yog requires high hp like Macha, but has a recovery multiplier so you could heal back more easily and a shield that reduces damage in the first place. Note that if a lead like Macha or Yog takes a hit, you don't get the full attack multiplier from matching hearts to above 80% hp until your next turn (assuming you don't take another big hit), which can be really annoying if you don't have a shield. Your other option with Yog is to make him into Yog the unbounded. This version is a better sub and would be much more useful on your Ameno team. One of his strongest selling points of this sub version of Yog is that he has the follow up attack (FUA) awakening. When you match a column of hearts, it does an extra 1 damage. This sounds like nothing, but when you fight enemies that have resolve (res), meaning that they can't be killed in one hit, that column of hearts allows you to finish them off in the same turn so that they can't finish you off with an often obscenely strong attack on their next turn. FUA is so useful that most players include a sub with FUA on all their teams (you only need one FUA awakening on a team). The catch is that the FUA version of Yog doesn't have a recovery multiplier so he's a worse lead. Note that with a few exceptions, e.g. assist evolutions or reincarnations, you can evolve back most cards including whichever Yog or Ameno you choose. So if you change Yog to Yog the unbounded, who would be the better version for your Ameno team, you can always switch him to the other version if you want to try him out as a lead.

5. flofs

flofs New Member

Alright, thank you so much! You've been a huge help.

6. Marlboro

Marlboro Well-Known Member

User ID:
    NA 389,289,242
    PADherder:
    link
    dude! congrats! those are some great pulls.... and you got hino! hino is a team all by himself with no subs, paired with any leader, you match any single combo and he does a 'bonus attack' which is about... 133k to all enimies i think? you can use him to very easily coast through 80% of the normals, and a good chunk of the techs. also works for any of the super king dragon dungeons (still one of the best sources of monster xp)

to add to your question about further upgrading monsters -- skill ups. skill level is huge. you can skill up monsters by feeding them specific drops, or use the skill levelling dungeon which guarantees a skill up every run. hino can faceroll em, so use him as a leader and fill the team with whichever cards you can skill up in that particular dungeon

7. Marlboro

Marlboro Well-Known Member

User ID:
    NA 389,289,242
    PADherder:
    link
    also Yog is the bomb. feel free to add me 389,289,242 i keep Yog (the RCV boost one) in slot 1, so even if you make and pair the L/B one with it, you still get a very respectable 3X rcv. for now, i would surmise that you're still low enough level that you can chain rank ups from those skill up dungeons (iirc they give about 20-40k xp) so spend out your stamina flying thru normals with hino, leaving yourself enough stam to ensure a run of one of the skill up dungeons. with that hino, you should be able to easily pull another 20-30 stone out of early normals and techs, and get yourself another roll or two

8. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Something important to note is that even though your monsters, for the most part, come fully evolved and enhanced, save for Reincarnated versions of their evolutions (which you should/will eventually get to), you still need to skill them up. Currently right now, there is a dungeon for the monsters that you got from the Super Godfest REM that will skill them up if you have those corresponding monsters on your team. Skill ups allow your monsters to use their skill faster which may not seem like much but when doing more difficult content, it is almost imperative that you get their actives available as soon as possible. If you look at the monster's profile information and look at their skill, on the right hand side, there is a skill level and if you hold your finger over it, it will tell you what is the max level it can be, most takes 4-5 additional skill ups to max although there are some that may take less or more. If you DON"T take this opportunity to skill up your monsters now, it will be much more difficult for you to skill them up at later times because most monsters that come from the Rare Egg Machine cannot be skilled up normally, they have to be skilled up by using -pys (Flampy, Bubpy, Woodpy, Badpy, Shynpy and Rainbowpy) and they are hard to come by for new players.

So what you need to do is go to Special Dungeons, tap on the first "Skill Leveling Dungeon"; there is currently two of them at the moment, one has a scrolling texts that says it's for Player's Choice Super Godfest (the one you want) and the other is for Christmas REM. Then, you can look at the small icons to see which of your monsters appear in, then put those monster(s) in your team and proceed to do the dungeon. Of course, to be the most efficient, put multiple monsters of the same attribute (color) on your team that appears in the dungeon to skill up multiple monsters at once. So for example, Anubis, Tsukuyomi and Eschamali can be in the same team to skill them up all at once by doing Dark Attribute Monsters 1. Unfortunately, these dungeons take 50 stamina each which is a lot for a newbie but it will pay off in the end.

Also, to answer your question regarding latent awakenings, they aren't vitally important to your team when you're starting out, so I wouldn't worry too much about them. Essentially though, they are just another way to enhance your monsters further by feeding them latent awakenings (which is currently given out daily at the moment) and each monster only can have 6 available slots to them, some latents take 2 slots but would give you more benefit than using two of the same type. The most important ones are killers (god, devil, dragon, more notably) but they are also more difficult to come by. Skill delay resist latents are also very useful and maybe even vital for some dungeons because some bosses/floors will decrease your monsters' active, causing you not to be able to use their active until you get them available again but if you have skill delay resist on your monsters, they can potentially nullify that effect. Also, keep note that if you feed your monster increase stat latents, they only increase it based off of their base stats; so if you give a monster with 0 recovery a +recovery latent, you get nothing from it; essentially, increase stat latents are only useful to further increase a monster's strong point rather than making them a more rounded stat monster.

Hope this helps but you should really prioritize skilling up your monsters right now because once this dungeon is gone, it may be a long time before you will be able to skill up your monsters again.

9. James1605

James1605 Active Member

In addition to the things that have already been mentioned, when you display a monster (eg. in your monster box) that has different evolutions, there will be an "Evo Search" button above the monster's picture in the lower left. Press that to see all of the evolutions for that monster, and how many you have of each. You can do a long press on any of those to see their stats at max level, awakenings, and skills.

And to answer your question, yes, at least some of your monsters can be evolved further. For example, Hino and Anubis both have Reincarnation evolutions (Reincarnation is the next level after Awoken, but not all Awoken monsters have a Reincarnation evolution). The good news is that Reincarnation evolution only requires very simple materials, but there are some caveats:

1) You can't reverse a Reincarnation evolution, so once you do it, there's no going back.

2) The monster will go back to level 1, and will require a lot of exp (16 million seems to be the norm) to get back to level 99, so if you don't have some snow globe dragons in the right attribute/color, you might want to wait.

3) The monster's sub-attribute may change, so if you rely on that attribute (eg. to get a boost from a leader skill), then you may want to stick with Awoken.

4) The monster's leader skill will probably (Always?) change. While the new LS should be "better", it may not work as well for you.

Yeah, the basic way is to feed them a monster with the same active skill, and it has to be the exact same skill (with the same name). There are a lot of similar skills, but if the skill name isn't exactly the same, you won't get a skill-up. Just to be clear, you don't want to use anything from a REM for skill-ups. That would be a huge waste. Many "lesser" monsters have the same skill as a powerful/rare monster, so you can use those lesser monsters to skill-up the powerful ones.

But you won't always get a skill-up from those feedings. The chances are boosted right now, so the odds are pretty good, but the normal odds are pretty low. You can get around that by using tans (which mainly come from a special tan dungeon). When you have 6 tans of the same attribute, you can evolve them into a king tan. If you feed a monster a king tan (with the right attribute) and some monsters with the same skill as the target monster, you will get a skill-up from every one of those other monsters (but not the king tan).

But some active skills are limited to one monster, so there is no "skill-up monster", and some skill-up monsters can only be found in very specific places, which you may not have access to for one reason or another. The other way to skill up a monster is to use pys (eg. Flampy ). Feeding one of those to a monster with the same attribute gives you a guaranteed skill-up. And there is a Rainbowpy that will skill-up a monster of any attribute. Pys can be found in specific dungeons, which will probably be beyond your reach for a while, but you may get some from event rewards, gift dungeons, etc.

A couple of general tips:

As mentioned earlier, Hino has a leader skill that produces a bonus attack after you match orbs, and that attack can actually get you through a lot of the easier dungeons. There are a number of monsters with similar leader skills. I think the strongest ones are SO135-Alastair (wood), Awoken Vajrayaksa (light), and Awoken Vajrabhairava (dark). So, using one of them as a friend leader could help you clear a lot of the easier dungeons. And if you also use a leader with the same kind of leader skill attack, like Hino, their attacks will be combined into a single attack.

Some monsters boost the rank exp that you get from a dungeon. The ones that I know of are Ganesha and Saline. Saline has a bigger rank exp boost, but Ganesha also boosts the coins that you get. If you don't have either of them, you can still use one as a friend leader. They can give you more exp from easier dungeons (where you don't need a strong leader), and from some harder dungeons if you have a leader, or just strong enough subs, to get through it without two strong leaders. But where they really shine is on things like the "Experience of a Lifetime" dungeon. For example, using a friend Saline lead will increase the rank exp for that dungeon from 200K to 360K, which would be a big boost for a new player. FYI, dual Saline leads would give you 648K. :)

Keep in mind that Ganesha and Saline have different evo's (evolutions), and they don't all have the same leader skill, so if you're looking for a rank/coin boost, check the leader skill to make sure that you don't pick the wrong form.

10. Cheryl Catalano

Cheryl Catalano FutureMD

Excellent and helpful information in this thread!;)

11. flofs

flofs New Member

Thanks for all the info! I actually think I was wrong and picked valkyrie, the one who does 6x damage on combos of 4 or more, anyway. I tried the ameno team, and I just don't understand it. Maybe it's because I don't have a matching friend lead ameno, but I can never get more than 100k per character, and that's if I have enough matching orbs on the board. On the flip side, valkyrie with my friends valkyrie does 300k on every character and it's way easier, so I've been using that. Is this a good idea?

12. sgt502

sgt502 ばかぷれーやー

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    How can you only reach 300k for CIEL? Unless you're using CIEL's first form and she's under leveled.

13. Noc

Noc Active Member

User ID:
    Noc
    PADherder:
    link
    As @sgt502 said, Valk Ciel should be hitting a lot harder than that (assuming you're getting more than 4 combos). Your subs only hit for 1/4 as much damage with Valk if your cards aren't healers. Are your subs healers? Note: in Puzzle and Dragons, healers are not necessarily cards that give you more health. Healer is a type, like god or attacker. If you hold your finger on Valk's card, you'll see that Valk has 3 typings-Healer, God, Attacker. Valk Ciel's subs should ideally all have Healer listed as one of their types. For example, your Ea is also a healer. On the other hand, Yog creates a board with lots of hearts and is not a healer.

Ameno has a really unusual leader skill, so if you're not paired up with another Ameno you'll often be hitting for a lot less damage. The damage from each leader skill is multiplied together. So if one lead hits for 10x and you don't trigger the other lead's leader skill then you just get 10x. But if your friend has the same lead, then you're hitting for 100x. That makes a really big difference. The key aspect of Ameno's leader skill is that it doesn't matter what orb you match in large clumps. So, for example, you could match a giant cluster of 9 fire orbs (or hearts or whatever) and a light match of 3 orbs, and your light match will do a ton of a damage. The large group of orbs doesn't have to be something you can use to attack and you often don't want it to be since you want to save some light orbs for the next time you attack. With most leads, there is some kind of sound or animation to indicate that you've triggered the leader skill correctly. I'm assuming Ameno has one too, but I've never used Ameno so I have no idea. If the cluster is connected, all the orbs in it should disappear together rather than in pieces when you make am match.

14. Toddlajoie

Toddlajoie Active Member

I use Ameno on both of my accounts so feel free to add one or both...

There are 2 evos you can do with your Ameno.

Gives you a base 6x attack for light (only) and 2x RCV for water (only) all the time (you don't need to do anything to get this) so dual leaders start off with 36x Light attack and 4x water RCV. For this reason you're going to want to stack your team with only light and water (ideally light cards with water sub attributes). For the leader skill activation you will get an additional 2x attack for each leader (4x for dual leads that gets you a 144x total when you include the base 6x/36x) for your light cards with a 5 match of light orbs (which also triggers a mass attack, so every attack will hit all cards...) or an additional 9x (81x for dual leads for 324x total) attack with 6+ match of light orbs. So this bugger is going to hit things VERY hard if you can get 9 light orbs on the board.

Gives you 1.5x boost to ALL stats (HP, ATK, and RCV) for light and water cards, so you want your team to be mostly light or water main attributes, and you can fill in the subs for any other color (helpful when you want to go into a dungeon that requires all attributes) and you get 2.25X for dual leads. You get a 25x boost (5x for each lead) for any match of 5 orbs (doesn't even need to be a color on your team, as long as you get another combo with a color you are hitting for it will get the boost too) for 56.25x boost for dual leads when you include the base 2.25x up to 81x boost (9x each) for a 9 orb match ( for 182.25x total) This evo has a lower total multiplier, but when you add in that you get a 2.25x HP boost you end up with a team that will tank 99% of the hits in the game and still survive, and the RCV to nearly heal all the way up with a decent heart match. Plus this evo is going to give you +2 Second orb move time each (4 seconds total for 2 leads) which will help you learn to combo better. Getting the full activation with any color match can help reduce your need for a board change to get the full activation.

For where you are in the game now, Ameno will walk you through most of the content if you set up a somewhat decent team with light and water cards. For the most part, you may roll through a lot of content without taking a hit until you start getting into technicals with pre-empt hits. Ameno's evo mats are pretty easy to come by also (you shouldn't have a problem with the Keeper of Gold or Sacred Mask dungeons with any sort of Ameno Team) so don't be afraid to try one, then de-evolve and try the other. I've been playing with the Blue only version since they came out, and I think I'm going to switch to the Blue/Light to try the higher damage as I have some other teams that can pretty much cover most of what I'm doing with the Blue only version... It will just be an adjustment back to focusing on only light matching, and clearing all the others to make room for new orbs, and not having the extra time for matches...

Ameno will break through the defense of most of the beginning high defense, low HP monsters like the daily Metal Dragons (used to level up cards) and the various evo materials (Keepers, Lits, and Masks) so you won't need to resort to the zombie teams or defense break cards that a lot of us had to deal with years ago... There is a Defense Break Awakening that voids defense if you can match a 3x3 block, which feeds right into Ameno's leader skill, but 9 orbs of a color you are hitting for is difficult to come by on a normal board, so you'll be needing an orb changer that makes a lot of one of your color. My experience is the 3 color board change (i.e. light/fire/hearts) will often short you on what you need (I regularly get boards with only 4-6 light orbs when my VDP awakeing is on the light only card...) A dual color board change (like your Yog that makes light/hearts) is much more reliable. Ilm is another card to watch for (but don't try for it or you will NEVER get it.. That's another rant..) that makes light/fire...

Here are a few things to be on the lookout for and how to deal with them:

100% gravities. They kill you, no questions asked. Easiest way to deal with it is to take one of your cards (any one that is on your team, it doesn't matter where they are on the team) and fill the latent awakenings with one of each color damage reduction latent awakening. That way whatever color hits you for 100% gets reduced a little making the 100% closer to a 99%, and you live. They aren't going to help with the occasional 500% gravity or the absurd 150K+hits that show up once in a while, but you deal with those by not letting them happen.

While your matching skills may not be the best at the moment, look for a card that will add combos to your combo count (Khepri is a great one, but you may not be ready for her dungeon yet) For me, reaching combo counts (monsters that negate damage done if you don't reach 7 or 8 combos on that turn) are the hardest to deal with for Ameno, because if you want to hit hard you need to make a big block or a row+ somewhere, which makes high combos difficult)

Sopdet sucks, always has, always will. Ameno can moderate damage if you don't get unlucky skyfalls, but as much as I have horrible luck with skyfalls when I need 8 Combos, facing Sopdet I will often get a skyfall 7 orb light match. A sub or inherit skill that prevents skyfall matches can help here, or Lugh is a light Fujin like card (Active Skill ignores Sopdet's damage void) if you can pull him. If you want to try and manage your damage against Sopdet you will have an easier time with the Blue only version as you've got 2.25 for a base attack (basically nothing, but it won't go over the damage cap, you won't take Sop down in the number of turns you have before the kill shot unless you have a delay skill with you) then you can ramp from 5 match (56x) to 9 match (182x) and see at what point your team goes over the damage cap. It's been a while since I dealt with it (I got Lugh) but if I remember right I was OK up to 6 orbs, as long as i didn't get 7 combos (due to 7c awakenings, but that's a bigger discussion...) The light/blue version has less options for controlling damage since the only choices are 36x/144x/324x, and I think even the 144x will go over the damage cap and you'd be surprised how often you get a 5 light skyfall match when you are trying to control damage.

Hera-Beorc and a few other dungeons have light damage absorb/voids for a bunch of turns. Ameno doesn't have a problem surviving for the 10 turns because they usually aren't hitting that hard, but i's a waste of time that can be frustrating... for the Spirit Life version of Ameno, just put together a team of water with no light attributes and you should be fine, or there are a few cards around that negate the color absorb/void with their active skill, just be sure you know what your skill is doing, Damage Void is not the same as Damage Absorb, and there are 2 different skills to deal with either one. For the Blue/Light version you either need to get lucky with no light matches/skyfall, have the right active skill, or just wait it out. Same deal with dungeons that don't have light orbs, Spirit life in all water will do just fine (you can have light sub attributes in these dungeons, but not in the absorb ones as even a light sub attack will heal your enemies back up)

Noc likes this.
  15. James1605

James1605 Active Member

As you said towards the end of that quote, the 3x3 block is for the VDP awakening, which is not a defense break. VDP bypasses damage voids (monsters that are not hurt by individual attacks that deal over X damage). The defense break awakening is really more of a defense bypass, and it requires attacking with every attribute (so you need fire, water, wood, light, and dark attributes on your team, and you have to make an orb match in all of those). If you attack with every attribute at the same time, the attacks from any of your monsters with the defense break awakening will bypass the dungeon monsters' defense and attack their HP directly.

sgt502 likes this.
  16. Toddlajoie

Toddlajoie Active Member

DOH...Thanks for the correction/clarification.... I get all those terms messed up... when I post and when I play... blow a lot of runs going in with the wrong team/Active Skill/Awakening setups...

17. James1605

James1605 Active Member

No problem. I don't think that I get things mixed up too often, but I do sometimes forget to change teams. Things can get "unpleasant" when you head into the wrong dungeon with a metal/tama level farming team. :)

18. James1605

James1605 Active Member

<chuckle> This was just really funny timing. I had tried a couple of times to clear level 27 (?) in the 6th Anniversary quests, but couldn't get past Sopdet. I decided to take another run at it tonight and tried to hit her really hard with a VDP this time, and got nowhere.

That's when it finally clicked. "Oh, yeah. She has damage absorb, not void" :) Oops. Went back in with Lugh and things went a lot smoother (although I barely managed to get his skill up in time). So, yeah, I have my mix up moments too. When my first attempts with VDP failed, I just chalked it up to the fact that I just don't have much luck with VDP in general. But when I hit her tonight with a VDP from REvo Baal, with a 5X light damage burst from Apolluo, and got nothing, I realized that something was wrong. :)

19. flofs

flofs New Member

my ciel is level 99 +297, though i'm not sure if i have healers on my team, i'll be sure to fix that haha. she is still on her first form though, so i'll evolve her as well. i'm glad to hear she can get even stronger! i'll also try out ameno with a matching lead, she sounds very powerful!

20. sgt502

sgt502 ばかぷれーやー

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    That explains it. Her first form main damage comes from her killer awakenings so even though you only see damage in the hundreds of thousands, it actually goes much higher if the enemies are right into her killer awakenings range. Her second form main damage comes from her two killer awakenings and two 7c so if you want her to hit hard, make 7+ combo. Shouldn't be too hard with her added move time built into her leader skill.