Puzzle and dragons is boring to look at

Discussion in 'P&D Discussion' started by kollin, Jul 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kollin

kollin New Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    With a heading like that I am sure some of you are "triggered", but I want to be clear I find pad to be a fun and exciting game.

So the idea for this forums post occured to me when I was talking to my friend about pad during our lunch break. We were talking about the new final fantasy units, what is broken, our point of views on three player mode, the normal stuff. While we were having fun thinking of new active skill mechanics, who should get awoken, ect, then the topic of in game animation came up.

Some of the stuff puzzle and dragons have started doing with their cards and dungeons is fun. The way that the new FF pixel cards are going to have their animations shown doing the dungeon, The different layouts of the collab dungeons, even the different sounds you make when matching orbs with leaders like princess soprano is what puzzle and dragons should be focusing on. With the power creep currently leaning towards the players, development time should be focused on making dungeons more puzzling and interesting, instead of releasing new 6 star godfest exclusinves.

What I would like to see from gungo is for them to make dungeons and boss fights feel more special. I think there are a few things they can do to make this happen. I think that some of the more powerful bosses(the kalis, radar dragons, metatrons, mechas, ect.) should have movement and animation. And the major dungeons should make you feel like your progressing through them by having unique and changing back grounds. Dungeons and boss battles should make you feel like you are engaged in a battle of epic proportions. How cool would it look to go against a hephestis dragon in a dungeon being engulfed by fire with sparkling scales and lava pixels rotating around his trident, and when he attacks he makes a large Roar and you can feel you phone vibrate as you see fire ball launch at your screen. when you go to fight back, those powerful actives that you rely on should be animated as well, how sweet would it be to see row by row your ryunne active change the board, or an anime circle hover over the boss for a gemstone princess active. I don't necessarily want my screen to be overwhelmed and feel overloaded with stimulus, but going through 3 player arena and finally seeing light metatron lightly breathing and a blue sky with moving clouds and a fixed point ancient relic in the background would feel like I accomplished something. They could even make the backgrounds change after the first attack to demonstrate her strength. There is soooooooo much that they COULD do but just are not bothering to do that would make playing this game feel better.

Obviously this could get annoying and would require a significant amount of time for development. To avoid these issues the animations should be able to be turned off by the player. This would save battery life and decrease the time you spend waiting for animations. In order to stop the insane developing time I feel like only certain monsters should get animations. Maybe give it to any monster that has a boss animation that drops, as well give active animations only to 6 star gfe when using their own active, or rarest in set non mp shop collab units.

As it is now puzzle and dragons is a pretty boring and plain game to look at. I see a lot of room for it to be made better, and I hope they spend a bit more time improving the content that has already been released then coming up with gimmicky new god fest exclusives and collab units that people wont even remember existing 3 weeks after it has passed if they dont own the unit.

What are your thoughts? Should gunho update the in dungeon graphics? Or would you prefer them spend there time else where? Would dungeon animations be fine or would you find them distracting and turn them off? Are there certain types of animations that you would perfer to see over otheres? What about monster skill animations? What about updated animations for 5 match + enhance proc, the row, the two prong, ect?

2. Iluvatar

Iluvatar No Longer IAP'ing

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Pretty much yes to all of this, additional flavor to the game play is welcome.

3. kiarahakura

kiarahakura One Piece Collab

User ID:
    311 462 320
    PADherder:
    link
    I play the game with absolutely no sound (i sometimes turn it on for new dungeons but otherwise it is always off). With that in mind, I would love to see a little bit of animation work put into some things. I like the idea of important bosses/invades having a little flare to them and wouldn't mind it. Although I can also see a lot of players just defaulting to turning that extra stuff off because they want to get through content faster.

As for where I would like them to spend development time - the friend system. As a casual who primarily runs things solo I would like the friend system to be updated. As we all know the way it is now makes managing our lists/leads a chore, and it can be frustrating for those who want to run off-meta leads.

As for animations on special matches (row/prong/5+enhance etc) - I think a little more distinction on those matches wouldn't hurt. It took me forever to realize what a TPA was - and only after learning did I notice the slight difference when I matched them.

TL;DR:
    I wouldn't mind seeing some more animations put into the game for rare bosses/invades.
    But i would prefer they spend development time on the friend system and making the multi-player system more usable.

Snarf and Songlian like this.
  4. kollin

kollin New Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Gods yes! An easy change would be that 1 of the same lead non friends pop up in random category every time you open the client. Only problem I could see is if NO One ran that monster as a lead, say you had an unevolved chocabo as your leader, in that case they could just not spawn the friend leader.

I could see a few issues coming from this, like not needing friends. But I would still try to make friends with people that have interesting inherits/latents/pluses for the leads you like, the trading system, co-opt, pal points, ect.

5. philsov

philsov has sufficient privileges to post here

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Several of the dungeons do have a progression in dungeon background; Zaerog Infinity for example is a great example of this; walking down a hallway, reaching a minor altar, and then the big platform.

As for animated bosses, maybe. Ability effects I might pay attention to, because right now the sprite just blinks and I get to read some text on top. An effect to go with it would go far.

But if it's just a boss that "walks in place" and cycles through <4 still images like a Corneria guard I'll turn it off in a heartbeat.

Example of a terrible boss sprite for PAD:
    [​IMG]

6. bp1976

bp1976 Pittsburgh, PA Born and Raised

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    The problem is that GH needs to continue to produce new cards for people to roll for. I whale pretty hard myself, but have you seen some of the JP whales' boxes? 30 Ragnarok dragons? These guys spend thousands of dollars a month on this game. And GH needs to keep them spending. So unfortunately, we will continue to see more dungeon mechanics, followed by more rare REM cards with counters to those mechanics. No matter what, that will be the norm. GH has to keep the whales rolling, it is their revenue source.

That being said, I love the idea of new graphics, sounds, etc. The monster hunter thing was cool, I was really surprised when I first went in and it had the cool sounds and graphics, and I would love to see more of that.

7. kollin

kollin New Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    This is the kind of sloppy animation that I think should be avoided, unless of course its groove rollercoaser, then have at it. But clean effects that make the bosses seem alive would look so neat! Let the final boss type monsters of endgame sparkle, breath, have a unique background art that can move, make sound effects, and have visual and audio attacks for when you tick them off.

Spending a bit of time updating the game might not make whales spend more, but it might attract more whales and it will definitely keep the whales you have playing the game. It would make playing the game feel cool and refreshing. I know that if i spend all my stam 4 days in a row farming zues dios I am bored out of my mind while playing, but for some reason I can spend the last 4 days for stamina farming monster hunter collab and still feel excited when that mission clear animation pops up.

8. WatermelonOwl

WatermelonOwl Smol light demon

User ID:
    399 756 307
    Yes yes yes
    After playing Granblue, FE:H, I've noticed PAD really doesn't have much going for it in terms of "atmosphere" and characters are nothing more than a pretty picture. What is a dragon caller? Number dragons is a series? You wouldn't know what a dragonbound is unless you read the lore.
    Doesn't PAD call themselves a puzzle and RPG game? Kinda lacking in the RPG department.

Some misc things I think GH can expand on and simple stuff they can take from other games:
    - More dialogue from dungeon bosses. Awoken Loki from last C9 was great. His battle was fair, good paced, and his dialogue had personality
    - Cut scene when reaching a significant boss for that dungeon
    - Cut scene when a boss uses a significant skill. Can turn all of these off in options ofc
    - Cut scene / introduction when you pull a REM card / dungeon boss for the first time
    - Cut scene / short story when you hypermax a REM card / dungeon boss for the first time
    (I hate GBF gameplay, but the stories and characters are charming and make me wanna stay.)
    - Make the Monster tab like a "home screen." You can select your main character to just hang around. Tap them and they'll talk about themselves or something (Yay lore! Waifu! I don't have to do my own research anymore!) Put the buttons along the sides. Background / scenery changes depending on the event or something
    - Voices. I sometimes play GBF with sound just to hear characters talk tbh lol. I probably stopped playing PAD with sound after like the first two weeks. I don't think I've ever heard the Xmas dungeon music if it's any different
    - Have banners on the Machine tab. Rolling is so uneventful. Other games advertise what cards get boosted and decorate their gaccha tab accordingly. PAD doesn't even look like it wants your money during godfest
    - Seriously. This UI has had it's run. It's time to retire brown, cracked, and dusty. Just look at PADR. It's all shiny and futuristic and doesn't match the main game at all

I agree friend system need an upgrade more than anything, but gosh the UI... Friend system overhaul will probably require a UI change anyways.
    Trading and 3P pissed me off because they could have worked on any of the above. "Trading! But basically only piis / killers / machine parts." "You guys LOVED 2p multiplayer! Now you can have THREE PEOPLE. NOPE STILL CAN'T AUTO FIND PLAYERS FOR 2P THO." UGH.

PAD does have many of these features in their DS games, etc. They CAN make any of these happen. It ain't that hard. Honestly, they probably don't think it's worth it at this point. It kind of looks like PAD is trying to keep their existing players from getting bored than attracting new players. Last major UI change was like over 3-4yrs ago I think.

PlatScratch, nickjr and Snarf like this.
  9. Noobzilla

Noobzilla noobest of the noobs

User ID:
    Asked this 3 years ago... where's my new menu background music at?

10. Snarf

Snarf PAD Bosses Derezzed | Boromir 332,879,306

User ID:
    I'd pay to unlock richer content.

11. nickjr

nickjr Pushbutton kouhai of whale senpais

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I think both FF dungeon bosses have a different death animation; Kefka kinda disintegrates or something (and then drops a golden egg that lands on air LMAO), and the other one kinda falls and crashes and disintegrates behind the dust cloud or something while the background shakes.

Would definitely love to see more flavor stuff <3

(but WHY DOES THE BACKGROUND MOVE IN MH COLLAB *AFTER* THE ENEMIES DO THEIR MOVE AAAAAH IT'S HURTING MY HEAD STOP IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE)

12. Apollogee

Apollogee Amateur PAD Member

User ID:
    This is due to the monsters always moving in the real games, they don't stay in one place (at least that's how i see it) :, )

nickjr likes this.
  13. Fendeezy

Fendeezy Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I think they keep it simple so that those with potato devices can still play it. Cash grabs tend to try not to exclude potential revenue. Counter argument of course is if they have low budget devices then it probably means they have no intention of doing IAP but you never know.

CoryAndSamantha and nickjr like this.
  14. ViewtifulGene

ViewtifulGene Mostly Retired. Still A Lazy Shit.

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    That looks like an amazing PAD boss sprite. GTFO.

15. Tachii

Tachii Scrubby Sauce

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Honestly I just want to see the puzzle screen itself have more special effects. I remember playing swapples or some kind of bejeweled and the amount of special effects depending on which combo you made was simple and addictive to look at. I just don't understand why they release awaken skills but is always late on their animation effects. The 7 combo awakening skill definitely can use one, and all the other niche ones such as defense break (I actually haven't used one of those so I'm not sure if there is one.)

Even the TypeKiller ones are misleading for me to look at since the damage numbers just increase in size but Idk how to best address that animation.

nickjr likes this.
  16. Grokitach

Grokitach [Grok]@jvc is my IG name

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    And then the game is as boring as Dokkan Battle, with the same flashy animations over and over, with a shitty gameplay.

Na na na na na, new mechanics and new characters, that's all what we need.

Puzzle and Dragons is just about awesome gameplay requiring skills and complex team building, and it's fine actually. I don't want any of these cheap f2p loli mechanisms.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  17. kollin

kollin New Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    The defence break has one it is sorta of liney? Kinda plain but it is a flash of lines going to your cards.

Don't know how to multiquote becasue I am still new to the forums, so in reply to:
    watermelonowl

I didn't even think of cut scenes for bosses, as long as they are able to be turned off and are not too long I would like seeing them my first run though or encounter with a relevant boss. The voice over and monster tab screen feel a little out of place in the game though. It would feel like a fire emblem rip off and I would be pretty annoyed if every time I hypermaxed a monster I had to go through dialog. Banners and a new UI would be a godsend for new players as this game forces players to use facebook and padx to be able to play the game efficiently, so would seeing possible dungeon drops. In general the amount of information available to players through the game is just poor in general.

Grokitachi
    "And then the game is as boring as Dokkan Battle, with the same flashy animations over and over, with a shitty gameplay."
    This would definitely be a danger and issue with these implements if they did them poorly. No one wants to play a game where you wait a minute before getting to give any input, and are overloaded with information and visual effects. Gung-Ho would need to be responsible enough to keep the integrity of their game. And if they implement visual changes I would also hope they allowed players to choose to turn them off, it could be put inn the same place as skills and auto match. I could see the easiest thing that could be done poorly and cause more harm then good to the game is the player's card skills having animations. That said simple changes to dungeon background, boss sprites, and audio wouldn't overwhelm the typical user. As long as Gungho doesn't go overboard I could see many players enjoying these changes if they ever came to fruition

nickjr likes this.
  18. Zaku

Zaku Delete Kirin off your friendlists

PADherder:
    link
    It's been 5 years and we still don't have purchaseable orb skins or bgm music yet

wtf?

19. ronmoho

ronmoho Well-Known Member

I'm really liking the effect of the new 3x3.