Rainbow rocks: Cleared A5 with Akine

Discussion in 'Rants and Accomplishments' started by Tek7, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Rainbow teams are back, baby.

Okay, you're right. They were never really gone. With leads like Roots x Rikuu and Kage x Sensui, rainbow leads were stronger than many players knew. But even those of us who love rainbow leads may have felt our love of this colorful play style waning with incredibly powerful leads like ZKitty (much <3 for ZKitty, but that's a different topic), B&J, DZeta, and DMeta.

But Akine shines the spotlight back on rainbow teams in a whole new way with 2.25/900/2.25 multipliers with dual leads, resist+ SA, FUA, and a VDP active.

I was tremendously pleased to roll Akine on my fourth roll in the current 7-stone super fest and promptly set to work building a team for her. I settled on:

Akine ! Kunpoo equip / DKali ! Ryunosuke equip / Lightning ! Lugh / Kanan ! Grodin equip / Bastet ! Rathian equip

[​IMG]

Enough rambling! On to the screenshots!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While this is not my first A5 clear (that came earlier this year with a DZeta team), proving the might of rainbow teams brings me great pleasure.

Huzzah!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Orange, sgt502, grinder and 2 others like this.
  2. Crono

Crono Crono@PF

User ID:
    I've cleared a couple times with Akine as well. What are you doing when you encounter DQ Hera? With the resolve and Void Damage mechanic, if you pop Akine and end up with a board with less than 5 hearts, you're screwed. From that standpoint, I wish Akine's active either had follow-up dmg as well or just didn't also have an orb change. Also have had some problems with the assist coming up on Akine, so I'm unable to pop her Void Damage active when I need to...

It would be nice if you could pick your active when the assist comes up :(

3. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    In the interest of full disclosure, I only cleared Akine with A5 once. My next 3 attempts were failures. I got KO'd by DQ Hera on attempt #2 (because I forgot that her first attack after preemptives was a gravity + hit), by Rodin on attempt #3, and by Cthulhu on attempt #4. After flushing 200 stamina, I decided I was done with A5 for a while.

This, in my opinion, is one of the biggest remaining issues with rainbow leads. Floor has resolve? Pop a rainbow board active and pray for 5 hearts. Didn't get 5 hearts? Too bad, you're up a creek.

GungHo has demonstrated that they're working to solve issues with rainbow teams by introducing a VDP active and a lead with HP/RCV multipliers and serious damage output (yes, I'm talking about Akine). The work to bring rainbow leads on par with combo and mono-color (ZKitty) or bi-color (B&J) leads isn't quite there yet, but here's how I'm hoping they fix it:

Introduce a rainbow lead with a 1.5x or 2x HP multiplier, a respectable ATK multiplier (but lower than Akine's), and--here's the most important part--a FUA built in to the LS for activating 4 orb types. Ideally, the lead would be farmable or a mega evolution of a pantheon monster or even a 6* GFE, but it seems more likely that GungHo would add such a leader as a 7* GFE or a collab chase card.

If the rainbow lead with built-in FUA is a farmable or a mega evo of a pantheon monster or 6* GFE, then suddenly demand for Akine would increase considerably. Leave a RCV multiplier out of the LS and you make Kanan (and future god type monsters with 3 or more heart OE) chase cards as well.

No matter how it's implemented, rainbow playstyle would benefit greatly from a lead with FUA built in to the LS. Because right now, if you pop an Akine active against Verse/Nyx or Yog/Cthugha and you get 4 hearts instead of 5, you are sunk.

Could you solve the problem by bringing a heart column maker like Mel or the chocolate box equip? Sure, but team building for A5 is already incredibly tight with so many rubbish mechanics to counter and you need all 6 orb types to do full damage with Akine. A 1.5/20-25/1 rainbow lead with built-in FUA would fix that and create a new chase card or farmable building project (a la Myr or RagDra) for players.

I solved that problem by putting a Kunpoo equip assist on my Akine. With a 40-turn CD, the active is very unlikely to come up even in long dungeons and the assist brings a team HP awakening.

4. chiubag

chiubag Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'm sure they'll do this, seeing how popular and busted Ina is.

Tek7 likes this.
  5. Crono

Crono Crono@PF

User ID:
    I’ve been putting a Noctis Crystal Assist on my Akine because it has Cloud Resist, and none of my subs do, paired with my BF alt account, which I also have Akine (took off Assist). Subs are Mega DKali (with Mega Dkali assist), Mega DKali (with Thancred Assist – Void Absorb), Mega DMeta (with Fenrir Assist – To combat Poison), and Reincarnated Tsukuyomi (sometimes with Gungnir Assist). Tons of 7c’s on the team and all dark, so massive dark damage, but no room for Shield unless I run it on my Tsukuyomi or give up DKali Assist. I’ve even had a run with Yog where I 7 combo’d (@ 900x) and even though I am running a dark team with tons of 7c’s and killers, Yog was left with a sliver of health and ended me. Probably just 3 dark orbs, but still surprised I didn’t get the kill that one time, so would even prefer to keep my Tsuk for orb enhance for the extra dmg.

Can see why Ina is so easy to clear with given her mechanics. Back in the old days, I remember I had the perfect Panda team and was a big dark row guy (back when skillups were 10%) and a hypermax team meant you spent way too much time and money playing this game (which sadly I did). Would have liked to roll Ina, but like the art for Akine better at least and fortunate to have rolled on both my accounts. Pairing with Mega DKali was interesting for the 2x HP and RCV, but the damage when not doing all attributes + hearts is too low IMO.

6. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Eh? You're running DMeta (who has a bicolor board active) on a rainbow team? You might want to consider swapping her out for someone else. Damage output only does you any good if you yourself are not dead. I recommend slotting in a cleric sub like OdinDra or Kanan.

This may be a daft question, but since you mention a "sliver" of health on Yog: Did you match a heart column for FUA on the solve? Yog's floor has resolve.

Self co-op with an alt is huge incentive to play whatever you roll. And yes, DKali's LS is too demanding (match all 6 orb types or you hit like a wet noodle).

I'd love to roll Ina, too, since I have so many great dark row subs. Running Lajoa x friend Ina for Ganesha medal farming makes me want to roll one of my own all the more.

And Ina herself has me looking forward to a rainbow leader with a FUA built in to his or her LS. I think we'll get there, but we'll be waiting a while. But that's okay. I'm a patient dude (except, of course, when I'm not :)).

7. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Oh my, I certainly hope so. If Phenom x Ina sets a trend and rainbow follows, I'd be good with that.

I mean, I guess we technically already have a rainbow lead with built-in FUA, but his LS is pitiful (by modern standards) otherwise:

But man, was it fun to pair L/B Raijin and L/B LVajra in their prime. :)

8. BurningMan

BurningMan Dropping the green Bomb

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Yog doesn't have resolve only chtuga.

Lajoa with Ina is actually quite decent biggest problem is that there is no good eir replacement and that lajoas active isn't as good as phenoms for aa3
    Outside of eir the sub restriction isn't that noticeable

Really looking forward to rainbow lead with auto fua too. Maybe it comes wuth th fabled DMC collab xD

9. Crono

Crono Crono@PF

User ID:
    Yes, running Dmeta and just using her as an assist for Fenrir. She acts as a good unbindable damage stick. I am also missing a lot of cards since I quit this game for about 2.5 years and just started playing again in the last few months, but I could buy an OdinDra. I find the damage more useful though unless OdinDra has a bind recovery and shield in one active. Admittedly I haven't put too much thought into team comp, as my Dmeta was already maxed out from my Dmeta team, so just put her in, so maybe could find someone better.

Yog doesn't have resolve. I don't know how it survived - given my team comp being primarily dark with plenty of 7c's, and demon and dragon killers. Have only not cleared when encountering Yog once, but I'm pretty sure I hit 900x with 7 combos. (just realized Yog has 50% dark damage reduction, so dark doesn't help).

Unrelated note - have also been having fun with Kiyori as I've never played an L cross team and have a solid team for him, but very hard to clear A5 with...People always talk about how the follow-up damage for Ina (and Kiyori) is great for resolve, but not having to worry about high defense py's/other is also an amazing benefit.

Tek7 likes this.
  10. Crono

Crono Crono@PF

User ID:
    Didn't realize Kanan was a Shinrobansho collab. I just rolled one. Since she covers light, don't need Dmeta to cover light, so may roll with 3x Mega D Kali and Kanan as subs. Unfortunately, never rolled an Aerith on my main, or that crystal form would be a perfect assist for Kanan. If I use the Cloud SA for Kanan, I won't need my Noctis crystal assist on Akine, but losing Reincarnated Tsuki means I lose my Tape resist (realize it's not needed, but I still like it), so may put Yuna Crystal assist on Akine instead, which would get me back Tape resist. Tsuki also added a lot of damage via dark orb enhances, time extends, and god killers, so not sure this team will work better.

This game is getting kind of annoying, lol. Constantly need to switch assists between different teams. Too many mechanics at this point. I guess the annoyance is better than the old grind for skill-ups and + eggs though.

Tek7 likes this.
  11. BonerChamp69

BonerChamp69 I'm huge

In think rainbow teams could also get more actives like Sephiroth crystal or the blue Shinrabansho devil 6*. Unlock orbs. Change right column to hearts. Spawn 3 orbs of all colors without reading hearts.
    I know the Orchestra card kinda does this but her problem is she gives the heart column after the Lkali board change which I heard can leave you with boards that don't have all colors.
    I like Tachibana/Nohime inherits on Rainbow teams. They have a significantly better chance of giving fua but obviously don't work for all rainbow leads.

Tek7 likes this.
  12. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Makes me wish I'd pulled Seph or Shinrabansho Astraroth. :(

But it does give me hope that we're seeing more monsters with actives like this. Patience is a virtue, especially for PAD players who enjoy rainbow teams!

I hadn't heard that, but that's good to know. I didn't pull Eva during the first run of Draconic Orchestra, but I only pulled once after the free pull. I plan to roll hard with saved stones the next time DO comes around.

I often ran an Awoken Nohime assist on Rikuu when I played Rikuu x Rikuu or Rikuu x Roots teams and agree that 4 attribute + hearts board changers give you a significantly better chance of getting the 5 hearts you need for FUA. Unfortunately, Akine's LS require all 6 natural orb types for full activation, so you'd essentially be halving your damage output (441x ATK instead of 900x), which may leave you short on damage for boss floors in endgame dungeons.

I'm realizing that one potential solution is bringing Aten as a sub and popping a jammer -> heart assist active to give you what you need, but that would mean you'd need 3 actives (Akine, Aten, jammer > heart orb change) against Nyx.

So right now, outside of Sephiroth and Shinrabansho Astaroth actives, there are no great solutions to floors with damage void + resolve for rainbow teams. But that could change!

13. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Wait, does Ina's follow-up damage ignore defense? If so, that's very, very useful.

14. chiubag

chiubag Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I think it is true damage, yes.

Also, I would LOVE an active that makes a heart column, then changes the rest of the board to five colours. Unlock first as well, of course. It's almost silly they don't have something like that yet. Though if they make a rainbow lead with auto FUA like Ina then it's not even necessary.

Tek7 likes this.
  15. Crono

Crono Crono@PF

User ID:
    So since I've gone to Akine/Mega DKali x3/Kanan/Akine, A5 clear rate is close to 100% with almost no stalling required. Usually get to Hera Nyx with at least 4 full board actives, so have yet to get no 5 hearts boards 4 times in a row (knock on wood). Haven't tried Akine much on AA2, but curious what reliable team comp ppl are using to clear (guess I'd need a damage reduction active for Goemon/preempt on one mega dkali)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019