(Returning Player) D. Meta and 7c

Discussion in 'P&D Discussion' started by Dysdayn, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Dysdayn

Dysdayn C-c-combo (Non)Maker

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Hello all. I played PAD long, long ago, in the Before-Time, and am coming back after a hiatus of probably 2 years or so. After doing a bit of research, and pulling in the 10-Stone Godfest, I find myself in a strange place where I'm using a weaker team (Madoo, to be specific) rather than my strongest (Mega D. Meta) because I can't quite trust myself to hit 7 combos repeatedly. In a vacuum - or rather, in a dungeon that doesn't mess with your board much, like Extreme/Ultimate Corridors, which is where I go to practice - I can probably hit 7 about 70-80% of the time (not counting skyfall. Lucking into success isn't good enough for me.) I stacked my team with time extends as well as I could, and even some latents, so I'm looking at 12.4 seconds of movement, which I would think would be more than enough. From what I've been seeing, hitting 7 combos is taken as a matter of course these days, so I have to wonder - what am I doing wrong?

For reference, my strategy is to start at either the top or bottom and string together 4 horizontal combos, then fill in what I can in the remaining space - a "perfect" board for me looking either like this
    xxxooo
    oooxxx
    xxxooo
    oooxxx
    xxxooo
    or this
    xxxooo
    oooxxx
    xyxoyx
    xyxoyx
    xyxoyx
    Now, doing this has me hitting 6+ combos about 99% of the time, but since I'm only hitting 7 in that 70-80% range, clearly it's not as trivial for me as I've been getting the impression it is for the majority. Am I missing something blatantly obvious, or am I just, well, bad at the game?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  2. ko300zx

ko300zx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    The bottom board is the one you should aim for most of the time. Making the top board you can trap an orb off to one side that you need to finish a combo, and you have to rearrange too many orbs to fix it in time. The bottom board naturally corrects that.

Anyways, as far as time needed, it's different for everyone but 12 seconds should reasonably allow you to hit 7. If not, it will just come down to practicing more or perhaps planning the board a bit better. Just try making your first 4 horizontal combos as fast as you can, without thinking about the follow-up combos. Once you can speed through those 4 and understand the patterns/mechanics of quickly making those, focus on adding to it. You can also take out some of that time extend when practicing to force yourself to move faster. Then when you go back to your 12 seconds, it will feel like you have an eternity.

BurningMan and Noc like this.
  3. cyanster

cyanster Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    @ko300zx says it well.

I'm serviceable, but no guru. Some things that helped me are:
    • Get it so the basic 3 orb "placement" from the various "almost" positions are essentially a single reflex and motion. Thought is not involved.
    • In my planning, I mostly look for what makes my first 3-4 combos quickly, and if there are any trouble spots. One of my more common troubles is a set of the same color touching, so canceling the extra combo.
    • Frankly, my natural finger movement speed is moderately slow. I've notice the better players are used to a faster standard speed. I've tried speeding up, but I keep falling back. So I'm not worrying about being really fast as long as I'm making my board. BUT two places I do try to speed up are in those first few placements and if I have a long move to get an orb from far away. That can save a second or two.
    • Usually I will make the flat bottom (or top) 2 or 4 sets of 3, but there are times where I make the bottom flat 2 on one side and then make a vertical 1 or 2 above (or below) it. This is just planning with the orbs.
    • I do not think about the rest of the board while making the initial combos. In the planning though I'll keep in mind if there's areas I don't want to disturb during the initial setup.

4. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    The second pattern is usually what I aim for, the variation being that the 4 horizontal matches could be on the bottom rather than the top; it just depends on either my mood or whatever is easiest to match. The first pattern is really more designed for tri or bi-color boards.

5. Dysdayn

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    @cyanster
    I'm becoming more concerned that something is wrong with me in particular then. Your bullet points are exactly how I match - getting the four horizontal first, not scanning the board beyond figuring out what those first four are and where to start them, speeding up initially and if I have to move something a great distance... As for the "almost" positions, knowing those is what's gotten me as far as I have in PAD, which is... not very, admittedly.
    @ko300zx
    I admit I honestly struggle with making the second board - maybe my brain doesn't like the sudden switch from horizontal to vertical, but that's something I can work on. I've actually realized my team can be improved drastically by swapping a Reincarnated Indra for the Izanagi that was there as a placeholder (D. Meta, Double Fan Fujin, Allatu, Reincarnated Pandora, Reincarnated Indra) but it seems like the extra time that will add is just a crutch. I'm concerned, still, because if I try to go much faster in terms of physical movement speed than I am, it feels like I "lose control" of the orbs - they end up in places my brain insists I didn't put them.

6. Noobzilla

Noobzilla noobest of the noobs

User ID:
    Have to practice the second board. It will be easier in the long run once you get a hang of it. First board works if you have just two colors. Otherwise the first board will give you room problems. Also check how much +time you have. Dmeta is my strongest team but I only use her on very difficult dungeons. Everything else I use leads that don't require 7 combos or any combos at all and it's still overkill. Check below for tier list.

https://bakadata.com/category/puzzle-dragons/

7. ko300zx

ko300zx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    There's nothing wrong with you. It's learning and improving through repetition. You will get better over time. I took a 2.5 year hiatus myself and couldn't match anything to save my life when I first got back, or before I quit for that matter. I refused to coop with friends because I was afraid of failing 4 and 5 combo shields. I remember first few times I did, Zeus & Hera's 4 combo shield gave me anxiety because pre-FUA, it was kill or be killed in a lot of cases. Give it time, keep practicing.

8. Dysdayn

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    My favorite leads right now are Madoo (who isn't on the tier list at all, last I checked, but I have no trouble finding friends who use her - ironic, since I actually have a dupe I can use for that purpose) and Mega Scheat (who is on the tier list, but I have a grand total of one friend who uses her.) Them, I like for their absurdly easy to use leader skills. "Can you match 5 orbs of the same type? You're good to go, then."

9. Murdurus

Murdurus Rampage

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Madoo is definitely solid and powerful in her own right, don't pay too much attention to tier lists as some of them require rather specific teams for them to be as good as they say they are, e.g. ideal teams/subs. Tier lists are also the opinion of several people, give or take, who, albeit knowledgeable, doesn't mean that those who are not on the tier list mean that they are not viable.

10. Dysdayn

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    That's how I take them. Specifically, I look at the tier lists, then decide how much I agree with them. I responded that way because I was advised to look at the tier lists - which can indeed be helpful as a guideline. Generally, I'm most interested in reliability and survivability - so D. Meta's massive effective HP pool is appealing to me, as is Madoo's ability to say "any hit that doesn't one-shot doesn't matter." On the end of reliability, it's a rare board that doesn't have the potential to hit 7 combos for D.Meta, and I'm moderately certain it's literally impossible not to have 5 orbs of the same type on a board (maybe on a 5x4 board though) for Madoo to at least stall her way through to get 4 fire orbs.

11. Aquablast

Aquablast Dedicated Dragon User

User ID:
    You know, my 7-combo success rate is a little worse than yours when I had only 12.5 secs orb moving time. But instead of practicing and getting better, I just get myself 14 secs orb moving time, by getting a helper with a massive +5s orb moving leader skills. I bet I can squeeze even more time out if I get more monsters with natural Extend Time awoken skill. The natural ones are more effective than the latent awakenings.

Vio likes this.
  12. Vio

Vio Member

On challenging dungeons i use a stylus (with mesh fiber tips, not plastic), that allows me to move faster, smoother and view more of the screen without my hand blocking some part of it. not sure if it will be useful to you but that helped me a LOT

Aquablast and Murdurus like this.
  13. Aquablast

Aquablast Dedicated Dragon User

User ID:
    Oh, speaking of hand blocking your view... I'd start from the bottom if it is possible. You'd probably end up blocking the view of your board with your hand if you start from the top (unless your hand is positioned pointing downwards). By this logic, it might also be better to work from the the right side of the screen first if you're right-handed

14. I_Grok

I_Grok Comb the desert

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I use a mesh tip stylus on almost every dungeon. For me, it makes it so much easier to see the board.

15. Dysdayn

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    It's funny that you mention that, because with my team in its current state, I've managed to eke out 13.5 seconds while still keeping my stats, actives, and awakenings at least somewhat relevant (the big lack being that not everyone has a 7c awakening, since I made the decision to prioritize TE awakenings and useful actives). So, with a D. Meta partner, I have 14 seconds to work with.