ROTD: I hate the expired emails!!!!!

Discussion in 'Rants and Accomplishments' started by kandjar, Feb 20, 2018.

1. kandjar

kandjar President of the Otaku Waifu Association

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Doh!!!! This is the second super globe dragon I lost due to expired email... and I saw both within their first hour of expiration... that's so unfair... This is without counting other good stuff I lost... LIke: a REM roll I missed (ok that one it's coz i was dumb... still)

Man... old days used to be great! without this stupid system...

I know... every single Freemium games out there has this expiration system and it was bound to happen to Pad...
    I just regret the old days where the only thing you needed to care is to make sure your mail box wasn't full....

2. kaylathehedgehog

kaylathehedgehog Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I can sympathize. I discovered that I lost a +297 Shynee and an Ancient Tri Mask a few days ago. The latter made me somewhat ill.

You think they could at least give us a heads up of when we have mail expiring, but that would make too much sense.

honestrade and kandjar like this.
  3. honestrade

honestrade Well-Known Member

Not only have a lost a ton of good stuff, but I have more than a hundred expired messages that have to be deleted individually and I just can't bring myself to do it.

4. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Semi-IAP..damn you GH

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Couldn’t have been that important or critical if you let it exprire otherwise you would have found a use for it before.

Jph81 likes this.
  5. bp1976

bp1976 Pittsburgh, PA Born and Raised

User ID:
    I spend a lot of money on this game, but the thing I least regret spending stones on is box space.

Adequate box space makes managing the mail not as much of a chore, I open everything except the PAL points right away.

Now if you want to argue about them at least giving us something worth spending PAL points on every 60 days (Plus egg PAL machine when?), that is an entirely different argument. There is nowhere to store the PAL points, you cant expand your PAL point limit with stones, so they literally force you to spend them on whatever they put in the machine.

But to be honest, GH really shouldnt be giving a "heads up" to people who are exploiting the mail system as unpaid for box space. LOL. That was the reason they put the expiration up in the first place. (completely justified by the way). Not trying to sound like a dick or anything, but it is what it is, no one should be complaining about the fact that GH fixed something that was being exploited. If you dont want to spend the 10 stones for 50 more box space to accomodate the stuff in your mail that you dont want to open yet, it's not their fault.

YamaKyu likes this.
  6. bp1976

User ID:
    Inventory management is an integral part of all games, and and especially integral part of the monetization strategy of "freemium" games. Keeping things in the mail instead of claiming them is an obvious exploit of this. Period. End of story. What GH should have done is just send rewards directly to your monster box, and if you had no space, prompt you to either sell something else to make space, discard the reward, or spend stones to add more box space. Using the mail system was generous to start with.

I agree the box system was clunky, and cleaning up the UI is a nice QOL improvement, but the amount of things in your box will still count against your box space. And according to your logic, every improvement every game ever makes is "pretty much admission that their current design sucks".

The mistake GH made was letting it happen in the first place. Using the expiration system was the best they could do because people had gotten used to exploiting their flawed reward delivery system and they didnt want to upset their player base.

I understand your frustration, but my honest answer is, fork up 20 bucks for box space and get over it. GH implemented a trading system for your pys, run the damn dungeon and trade them for the color you need, there are always py trades available of every color. It gets old hearing the "Oh GH is horrible, they made it harder for me to play their game for free without spending money on it!". GH is a business, and they make this game to make money, not to donate a game to the masses for their free enjoyment. GH is honestly pretty freaking generous to NIAP players, much more generous then other freemium games.

YamaKyu and nickjr like this.
  7. kandjar

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Wow and I thought it was bad for me... Well, the REM roll was really bad, and I was really mad for that one....
    I was just really busy work wise and I didnt pay attention to my mail...

That'd be really nice indeed... Or having a default view of the mailbox... coz every time you go to the mail box, you see the "recent" ones, and not the ones which are about to expire...

I disagree; it's just my box space is tight... so i use mail for extra storage.. bad old habit you could say.. but still there.

kaylathehedgehog likes this.
  8. kandjar

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I did not completely disagree until that argument.

As I mentioned in my original post; I understand why they added an expiration date to the emails.
    And yes, the email is definitively meant to be used as a inbox buffer; just now: as a temporary one.

Nothing wrong with that;

It is *not* really an exploit it was clearly designed to be used this way.
    I think you misunderstand the "exploit" concept:
    - Creating account, leveling up to 20 sending the "gift" to your main account, *THAT* is an exploit.
    - Deciding to restart and reroll until you get a prime starting roll could also be view as exploit.

Using the mail system to store items instead of having them in your main box is not an exploit; it's a game feature.

Having a large mail box without expiration date was definitively generous, no question there.

to come back to my main disagrement:

Sorry to say, but *not* everyone can afford 20 bucks on this game to expand their box space.

I think you need to understand the main strategy behind "freemium games" which is: to build a large community of players, and have a small portion of that community paying for it. The system is literally designed to be this way.

You can't just say "well just pay $20"; this is just inconsiderate as $20 is a lot of money for some players.

KeViN, nickjr and kaylathehedgehog like this.
  9. bp1976

User ID:
    Sorry if I came off in an ignorant way, I didn't intend to, and thank you for kindly disagreeing, I am more for a civil debate, and the original post I responded to (which was deleted) was a little less kind.

I guess we can agree to disagree about what is and isnt an exploit. I dont think the mail was intended to be a game feature personally, and I certainly dont think that GH intended to have it be used as quasi-box space. I think they just designed the mail feature, started using it to send rewards, and then realized that they had made a mistake. Using a game functionality for something other than what it was supposed to be is what I would define as an exploit, but arguing semantics is a waste of everyone's time. Either way my point is that GH never intended the mail system as an augment to box space. If they did, they wouldnt have fixed it.

In all fairness, my "just pay $20" was probably more rude than I would usually be, and I apologize to the community for coming off that way. I guess I just feel like NIAP players shouldnt be complaining about something they are getting for free. I mean, you could spend your NIAP stones on box space too, and just forego a few REM rolls. (We have gotten a minimum of 2 stones per day this entire month, that is like 55 stones, or 275 box space, in February alone). I guess my point is that GH is pretty generous to NIAP players already, and for lack of a better word, it seems kind of "entitled" for NIAP players to complain about their mail expiring. (especially coming from the point of view of one of the small portion of players who does spend hundreds of dollars per month on the game).

mtb911, nickjr and kandjar like this.
  10. Iluvatar

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Critical items don’t stay in mail, they get used, end of story. Words matter. An item can’t be sitting 60+ days gathering dust AND be important.

axlpowa likes this.
  11. honestrade

Yeah I meant to edit my post but actually deleted it. I misinterpreted that the evo mats still count against box space, but they are allowing a "plus bank" which will free up a lot of box space, not to mention do away with the tedious management of plusses.

I've spent plenty of money on this game the least they can do is let me keep their mail to make up for their shitty box inventory and management system and arbitrary pal point cap. Mail expiration hurts all players, including IAP players who have larger boxes than non-IAP players and as a result need a lot more plusses and evo mats, and especially long time players who have accumulated more cards.

An exploit isn't using something the developers intended. There was always a cap on mailbox size to restrict storing of monsters in mail and drive need to purchase box space. There used to be no limit on mail expiration, but the mailbox was smaller. When you quickly ran out of mailbox space, you had to make room and use mail or stones. Then they increased mailbox size but no expiration date. If GH was too generous with mailbox size, it's not the player's fault, and using that space wasn't an exploit.

Then GH added a 365 day expiration date, and then finally 60 day expiration. GH has been actively trying to force players into buying additional box space through mail expiration. There was already a mechanism in place to motivate purchase of box space - mailbox size limit. There was no need to add expiration and then significantly reduce expiration date other than desperation and greed. I really can't believe you're defending them.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    kaylathehedgehog and kandjar like this.
  12. kandjar

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Well... I'd argue otherwise consider they improved the mail system by adding the icon showing what's in it! :)
    But I agree with your earlier statement: let's agree to disagree.

Yes, they indeed can spend a few of the free stones on that. And yes, I also find GH to be quite generous.
    However, I will disagree on "NIAP players shouldnt be complaining".

Complaining is *not* necessary a bad thing. And yes: people like to complain.. me first :p.
    Complaints is what allow the dev to improve the game QoL for everybody.
    Also be aware that only a really small portion of people will actually complain (yeah, they are vocal alright :p but they do remain a small %age).
    So if you forbid non-IAP player to complain then... GH may not get enough feedback to improve the game.

13. honestrade

Critical items do get stored in mail more than 60 days. A tamadra is a critical item, but I might not have an urgent need for one, particularly one sitting in mail vs one that went directly to my box. Critical is not the same as urgent.

KeViN and nickjr like this.
  14. kandjar

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I have to agree there. Reducing from 365 to 60 was kind of harsh and felt greedy.
    I tend to believe that what happened is: GH saw a significant increase of revenue / use of stones for box space toward the end of the first year of expiration. And knowing that their main competitor already had a small expiration date, they decided to do the same.

If they have done a year of expiration" for all older mails but only 60 days only for the new ones, it would have felt less greedy.

15. kandjar

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Agree on that, I don't need the tri-god mask right now, hence why it's still in my email, yet it's a critical item as it's hard to obtain.
    Same for the two super globe dragon I lost..

Yes you can argue for bad main box management.. hoarding problem and such.. it's also very true on my side at least... but that doesn't really help :p

16. bp1976

User ID:
    Haha fair enough :D.

17. bp1976

User ID:
    Oh and if an item is "critical" then it warrants a box space, wouldnt it?

18. Paul Blank

Paul Blank Defeater

User ID:
    Paul
    Mailbox sort option - Time Left. Use it when I check my mail. Haven't missed any soon to be expiring things yet.

philsov likes this.
  19. kandjar

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    It'd just be nice if we could set this option 'as default'. :)

20. Iluvatar

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    This post doesn’t make any sense. Re-read it. Again anything sitting for 60+ days obviously isn’t important, urgent critical or whatever other priority adjective you want to put on it.

bp1976 likes this.