ROTD: I hate the expired emails!!!!!

Discussion in 'Rants and Accomplishments' started by kandjar, Feb 20, 2018.

1. honestrade

honestrade Well-Known Member

There was never unlimited space. When you hit the limit you couldn't receive more mail. GH actually increased mailbox size to allow more mail to be stored. Then they added a 365 day cap and retroactively applied it to mail without previous expiration. Then they further reduced it to 60. These were intentional design decisions over a series of years, not a mistake. You're making it seem like the one day noticed "hey we have a problem here there is a loophole" instead of saying "lets take a look at our current systems and see if there is a way to extract more money."

The only one acting like a child here is you for your continued juvenile tone and insults. If you don't like the discussion in a thread opened to rant about mail expiration, stop posting here and continue enjoying your box space.

nickjr likes this.
  2. bp1976

bp1976 Pittsburgh, PA Born and Raised

User ID:
    LOL these were intentional design decisions to try and fix a mistake. The mistake they made was sending rewards through the mail. Do you honestly believe that, when they were designing the mail system, they said "Hey, since we charge people for box space, lets send all of their rewards to this mail system, and let hem hoard up their rewards there instead of having them use the monetized box space that we already have there"? Because that is literally what you are saying. And that is why NO ONE is defending you. You are just freaking plain wrong.

That is EXACTLY what I am saying. I would be willing to bet it went something like this:

GH Employee 1: "Hey, we didnt intend for people to use the mail system to hoard rewards".

GH Employee 2: "Oh, crap, you're right, we are losing revenue from this. Hmm, well now that the player base is used to doing this, how can we fix it by being fair to them but still being fair to ourselves".

GH Employee 1: "I know, how about we put a time limit on how long they can hold their mail!".

GH Employee 2: "That sounds like a fair idea, how about we start with a year and see how that goes, and then maybe we can take it down from there, that way we let them down easily".

GH Employee 1: "Okay, cool! Also, since we are doing this, lets give EVERYONE 80 extra box space for free to make up for the inconvenience."

GH Employee 2: "Great Idea!"

Dude I am not insulting you, you are making yourself look like more an more of a fool. The only one who doesn't like this discussion is you LOL. To be honest, this is entertaining. Keep on arguing with me, and I will keep making you appear like the foolish child you are.

nickjr likes this.
  3. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Going to loop back around to the not inconsequential fact that Gung Ho fixed all this shit yesterday. This problem will soon fall into the list of annoyances with waiting for dial up connections, having aol spam your mail box with free discs and not having change for a pay phone.

4. Roland

Roland Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    where is the FIX information posted?

5. CloudStrife

User ID:
    It’s on reddit. For 6th anniversary stream in Japan they announced evo material stacking. You can have 17 gold keepers or something and they will stack only taking 1 box space. Most of what clogs people’s boxes in general is evo mats. They just gave us all a ton of box space. Not sure if this applies to other dupes but the evo materials matters a ton.

I posted the link earlier in the thread. Feels like a lifetime ago.

Tyizor and Roland like this.
  6. Roland

Roland Active Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
  7. bp1976

User ID:
    I was thinking about this, I think it would only be evo materials, since they are always max level and cant be plussed. Enhance materials, some of them have levels (snow globes), so the possibility of having 3 of them with different levels exists. And Awaken materials can be plussed, so having one +30 tama and one unplussed tama would have to take up two spaces, meaning I doubt they can stack them at all. Too bad, I would love to stack my 25 balanced killers LOL.

8. honestrade

I'm not insulting you...you're a foolish child. Lol whatever man. The idea that in more than two years plus development time GH didn't realize that players could store items, quests and cards in the mail system is unbelievable and pure speculation. You're literally just making crap up and using it as evidence to support your argument, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised as you effectively admitted that you are just trolling. No point in responding to you any more.

9. kandjar

kandjar President of the Otaku Waifu Association

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    It's kind of why I want a "default" sorting order for mail.
    If you sort by expiration date by default, it's easier to notice.

Even logging once a day you may not always think about it...

10. kandjar

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I have to disagree to some extend; the fact that they deliver certain reward directly, i.e: Tamadra on S-Clear; shows that they could have skipped this mail reward system if they did not wanted player to store them even momentarily.

A fix??? Really?
    I'm ok when you're arguing all you want about the fact that it was bound to happen... or arguing that it's *not* as bad as people claims to be... etc...
    But classifying this change as a "fix"... No, .. not even close.
    The only way you could classify this change as a "fix" would be by saying: "GH is not making enough money" is a bug. :)

Probably the worst comparison you made so far; that doesn't make sense.

--

I don't think any one would argue that it was purely a way to increase their revenue. That's all.
    As I said earlier, they realized that many other freemium games had small mailboxes with short expiration dates and players learned to coop with that. Note: "learn" is different from "like". And therefore realized they could do the same.
    It also makes sense to have people complaining when change to a comfortable system is made so that now they have to deal with it in a somewhat painful manner.

As I originally mentioned, I understand why they did it; that doesn't mean I have to like it.
    Especially since now were having more and more REM which cost 10 stones to roll. Being one stone short of a roll is a bummer when you had to spent that stone for expending your storage where in the past you didn't have to.

On the plus side: I'm really welcoming this new upcoming inventory management system that they are adding to the game.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    nickjr and honestrade like this.
  11. bp1976

User ID:
    Did GH not GIVE you 80 box space in the same update as instituting mail expiration?

We will never know. But the fact is they did give everyone 80 free box space to make up for the mail thing. I just disagree with it being a cash grab considering they gave box space to make up for it.

12. kaylathehedgehog

kaylathehedgehog Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    This is probably the biggest QoL update I'm looking forward to. My box space issues will be almost nil when this hits NA. As it stands, evo mats (especially Jewels) are what constitute the majority of my box space at the moment.

I hope the Snow Globes stack as well, because they're a big box clog for me, as well. Haven't had any Revos to level up in a while, so I haven't really had any use for them, save for Odindra. Still, allowing all evo mats to take up only one slot will drastically cut down on my own box space issues. Just wish GH had thought of implementing it sooner.

13. kandjar

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'm too lazy and don't care enough to track this down, but my recollection is that the extra box space was added at least a few month before the expiration date. That doesn't mean they didn't already have the idea of the expiration date in mind at that time.

14. bp1976

User ID:
    Look all I am saying is that the “Gung Ho is the evil empire” stuff is much better proven by the best cards being gated behind 2% drop rates in 10-stone machines. I’m not saying they aren’t greedy, I’m just saying that this isn’t an egregious show of greed.

10-stone machines in general, you are talking about ~$6.50 per pull. That’s literally $325 per Diablos.

That is a much better example of greed. The mail thing is like an annoying fly biting you, while you’re being beaten in the face by a 10-stone baseball bat repeatedly.

15. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Semi-IAP..damn you GH

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Is February too early for thread of the year? If you were using the system as the designers intended, this thread wouldn’t exist. However it does, thus you are wrong.

Also rofl at the “80 free box space = whatever” but 60 days mail Rrraaaaaaagggeeeeee

Hahahaha

bp1976 and CloudStrife like this.
  16. CloudStrife

User ID:
    Burn it all down. There’s nothing left to fight for.

bp1976 likes this.
  17. nickjr

nickjr Pushbutton kouhai of whale senpais

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I busted out my about-to-expire fire pys and super ruby dragon rushes in order to level Enra and Mai, who I got via very sudden bursts of luck

Those were critical for getting them up and running ASAP.

The super ruby dragon rushes had been in my mail for almost a year.

I can understand initially confounding critical with urgent, because urgent things tend to be critical. I cannot understand continuing to confound them even after being told that critical deals with intensity and urgent deals with time.

It is critical that we get the legal guardianship paperwork done for my little sister if we want to continue taking care of her. But it was not urgent until the last few months. It certainly wasn't urgent like ten years ago even though it was critical then, too. (Maybe not AS critical, but still critical.)
    It has always been critical, because the consequences of not getting the paperwork done (which could be the outcome if it wasn't critical!) are that she falls out of our hands and we can no longer officially support her (and since she's mostly nonverbal, there would be no easy way to officially re-support her--and no, she cannot take care of herself easily). It just wasn't urgent until recently.
    (She's about to turn 18 and has multiple disabilities/delays.)

"Critical" is roughly equivalent to what Stephen Covey calls "Important"/what Eisenhower calls "Important"

-------------------------------

I once heard a phrase that was something like "it's been a bug for so long that it's now a feature". This was used in reference to something on another site I was on.
    (It had an avatar dress-up system; we had two layers for hair because some hairstyles go in front and some fall to the back; on one version, using one automatically hid the other; we moved to a new system and suddenly we could use both layers! By the time the coders figured out why that was happening, people had gotten really used to using both layers and really enjoyed it.
    This is meant to illustrate "it's been a bug for so long that it's now a feature" for those who have never heard it before, NOT to compare with the mailbox-storage situation.)

Seems like that's the case here. GH undoubtedly didn't mean for us to use the mailbox as storage, but they left it untouched long enough for it to basically become a feature. I doubt there would've been nearly as much outrage if they had fixed it within, say, the first month of PAD.

Whatever the point of no return is for "it's been a bug for so long that it's now a feature" to apply, GH long passed it for the mailbox-storage...

So even though there technically isn't anything wrong with implementing a long-overdue fix, there is something humanly(?) wrong with doing so. Especially since it's not game-breaking. (For comparison, implementing a long-overdue fix to, say, some way to get unlimited stones wouldn't have anything humanly wrong lol but I doubt it would take that long to implement a fix for something game-breaking anyway)

-----------------------------------

A lot of things that are good for business are frustrating for a lot of customers. A lot of things that make a lot of customers happy are bad for business.

You can insert the modifiers "long-term" and "short-term" in there if you want, but it doesn't really matter (because I already put "a lot" in there multiple times). And I'm thinking of basic stuff (mail storage is one of them), not the more complex things

18. kandjar

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I hadn't heard this variation :)
    I'm usually used to: "It's not a bug, it's a feature" version. Technically, not exactly the same meaning, but close enough imho. (I also like the mispronounced way: "It's not a bug, it's a fixture")

nickjr likes this.
  19. honestrade

No they didn't give 80 box space in the same update. They instituted a 365 day expiration date on all previous and new mail in Version 9.3. They gave 80 spaces additional box space in Version 9.4.2, probably due to backlash received from implementing mail expiration. They changed from 365 to 60 day expiration in Version 12.2.

The designers intended for items to be able to be stored in mail. If they felt it was an exploit they wouldn't have waited years to patch it. Even if you accept that they somehow weren't aware of the issue or unable to patch it for several years, they already "fixed" it by adding the 365 day expiration. What was the need to go to 60 other than they felt they could drive IAP on box space by making inventory management more tedious? This was a change that was detrimental on some level to every player, but GH really needed the money so its cool I guess...

nickjr and kandjar like this.
  20. Carlos R. Marti-Figueroa

Carlos R. Marti-Figueroa Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I agree it would be cool for the killers and tamas an whatnot too. But ill take the evo mat stacking for sure. I counted today and it will free me over 80 spaces for free. That's pretty huge not only for the free spaces but the fact that I never have to sell evo mats again just to make space for other stuff or other farming. Pretty huge update and yes, like @CloudStrife said, this update makes the complaining about this issue a bit off. I mean, we got 60 days to use stuff. That is 2 months. If you can't use things in 2 months, you dont need it that urgently and you will get more of whatever you lost before you actually need it again. Irrespectively of if the change was to fix a mistake, or to be more greedy, you still have 2 months to get everything and we were given free box space as well (both when the change was first implemented and now on box stacking). Can't blame others for our own mistakes.

CloudStrife and bp1976 like this.