Setups for PAD recording and streaming?

Discussion in 'P&D Discussion' started by Tek7, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I picked up a free license for Reflector 3 recently, but the video quality leaves something to be desired and I can't get it to play nice with Streamlabs OBS.

Those of you who record and stream PAD gameplay: What do you use for your setups?

Pinging @sgt502 since your setup is pretty cool. :)

2. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I used Apowersoft when I streamed for a while. If you have an iPhone, it lets you AirPlay to your desktop, then you capture the window with OBS. DU recorder is also a nice iOS app that lets you stream directly to Twitch or YouTube from your phone, but becomes a problem if you want to customize much. You can only play the app music and whatever is plugged into your 3.5mm jack, which is typically a headset so you have a mic. You also can't change the volume at all, so I found that my voice was being overpowered.

I also used 5kplayer a bit, which was effective but one of my least favorite pieces of software to use. It was very shady -- staying open in the background even after closing or force closing, using this to pop up ads in the bottom right of my desktop sometimes, starting itself up on PC startup, etc. I never liked it much, but it served the same purpose as Apowersoft and did its job well.

3. Super Random Box

Super Random Box REM Trolled.

Depending on what plataform you're, you can try Google Play Games.... IIRC, it has an option to record/stream. (and if your device isn't much old, it won't lag)

4. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm on a Nexus 6 running LineageOS, which is based on Android 8.0.

I was able to cobble together a setup that involved Streamlabs OBS, scrcpy, a USB cable, and a 3.5mm male to male cable.

I'll need a longer cable to actually play from my phone, but I used the mouse for this video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/363723537

I'm planning to order a 6' 3.5mm male to male cable, set up a background in Streamlabs OBS, and try again soon.

For me, this is more of a, "cool tech experiment because I can" than a gateway in to livestreaming PAD gameplay. I think it would be fun to record some clears with non-meta leads, though (or even some Rikuu x Roots co-op gameplay).

5. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Unfortunately, video quality using the built-in Play Games screen recording is rubbish on my phone. Maybe it looks better on newer phones? (I'm using a Nexus 6.)

6. sgt502

sgt502 ばかぷれーやー

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I use SCR Pro to record my gameplay. Need to have rooted phone to take full advantage, mainly choosing "vertical frames", "record Internal audio", choosing which directory to save your video, bitrate and frame rate. You can find the app here since it doesn't available on Google Play Store. I haven't actually stream my gameplay but I figured if you can cast your phone onto your PC (including audio) then you can stream it with OBS.

7. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I ended up cobbling together a setup that involves Streamlabs OBS, scrcopy, a USB cable, and a 3.5mm male-to-male audio cable. It's not the simplest techie project I've ever done, but it's far (FAR) from the most complicated.

This is as far as I've gotten: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/363991664

This was the source for the wallpaper I used: http://desktopgraphy.com/horus-puzzle-dragons-free-wallpapers/horus-puzzle-dragons-wallpaper-hd/

The solve on the second turn was bad and I keep re-watching it and wishing I'd scooped up those green orbs. X|

Audio quality is potato level, but I'm hoping a new 3.5mm male-to-male cable I ordered on Amazon today (should be here Wednesday, yay Prime!) will fix that.

SCR Pro sounds like it's much easier.

I'm more interested in recording gameplay than streaming, but with my current setup, I can do both then just link to the broadcasts (like the short one above). And I may just get bored with it after recording a few dungeons. I think this is those, "because I can" things. And because I love to tinker.

8. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I tried SCR Pro and got the error, "Your Android version is not supported yet." I'm on Android 8.0.

:/

9. sgt502

sgt502 ばかぷれーやー

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
  10. ko300zx

ko300zx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Wish I didn't have to root to record ranking. Seems like such an annoying process on the Pixel 2 these days. I just want to record ranking dungeons, more for seeing what I'm doing/missing/screwing up on. I think you can record normal dungeons with any standard recorder, but the ranking block is stupid.

11. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Okay, this is as far as I've gotten with recording PAD gameplay:

I bought a 6' 3.5mm male-to-male audio cable only to discover that I still had noise when I plugged in both the aux cable (for audio) AND the USB cable (for video).

In the test linked above, I enabled music (for constant audio) then lowered the volume and added a Noise Suppression filter in Streamlabs OBS. It's still not perfect (you can hear distortion in the audio at some points), but it's greatly improved.

I have a theory that involves snapping a ferrite bead on to my USB cable, but I don't want to drop $7 on a set of 10 beads on Amazon (especially considering I already dropped $7 on the aux cable, which is fine because I'll probably find other uses for it, too).

This might have to be good enough for now. Most folks aren't watching PAD gameplay videos for the audio anyway, right?

12. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Here's test #16. I attached a ferrite bead to the USB cable in hopes of reducing or eliminate line noise. I also turned the volume down on the Line In.

I think it helped?

I might have to tweak the volume settings (lower the device volume, raise the recording volume) to eliminate the distortion during louder sounds.

EDIT: I think I greatly improved the audio by adjusting the volume levels. Here's test #17:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    sgt502 likes this.
  13. sgt502

sgt502 ばかぷれーやー

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    If your target is just to show your gameplay and not streaming, it might be better if you just record your gameplay to an MP4 file then play it on a media player, then casts that into OBS. That way you won't have to fiddle with audio issues. Surely the output from your recording app is free from audio issues?

14. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I use Streamlabs OBS to record because video and audio are sending over different cables (video over USB, audio over aux cable). I don't use a recording app on the device itself; I use scrcpy.

Once I have my phone's screen mirrored on my computer in Streamlabs OBS using a Window Capture widget, I just click the REC button. I have Streamlabs OBS configured to save the footage as a MP4 file, which I can then upload to YouTube (as I've done with the last several tests).