Sumire vs. the World, aka, Why do I do this to myself?

Discussion in 'Rants and Accomplishments' started by MisterDrgn, Apr 24, 2016.

1. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn You can't take the sky from me. Staff Member

User ID:
    I wanted to clear all of Challenge Desended! 10 with the same lead, which is always gonna be a slog. But it became a lot more of one, using a middle-tier lead I'd used only once before and a color where I don't have many +'d monsters. And stuff resists blue! I'm so spoiled by Light. This game has never felt more like work.

Basically I needed a dragon, so I started trying with Karin. Nordis kept kicking her ass, so I switched to Sumire and got a lucky clear on the first try. After Nordis, I figured the rest couldn't be too bad. Oops.

@ronsonson Thanks for being a pal and putting up Sumire all this time.

Team:
    /
    +eggs:
    Bodin: +297
    Skuld: +297
    AAma: +297
    Orochi: +248

See the follow-up post for a few observations on the team.

Deaths (chronologically):
    Jord: 1 (tried to burst Freyja from above 50% to avoid the bind, can actually just nudge her below 50% and tank it)
    Hel: 1 (screwed up a match)
    Deus Ex: 4-5 (I hate this dungeon, pre-boss wave makes things so difficult, ended up bringing Orochi)
    Zera: 1 (couldn't stall on the boss, subbed in AAma for better stall but less burst, probably needed her anyway for the 50% bind from the boss)
    Z8: 1 (realized how much easier the last three waves would be with Light, was like "f it," and just brought my AAma team, with an AAma friend, but with my Sumire lead...feels like cheating, but the rule just says my lead has to be the same)
    Scarlet: ~4 (all in the first three waves, sigh)

Clears:

Remaining Clears:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Orree, Jchunksgt, recife and 12 others like this.
  2. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    Observations:
    1) Bodin provided strong stats, rows, an emergency heal, and around 2x attack on a good finishing board. Still, I may have overvalued him, as I could use as many orb-changers as possible. I brought him to everything 'cuz he was one of my few hyper'd blue monsters.

2) Getting 75% damage resist from matching a cross of hearts is super powerful, and it saved me lots of times. Still, it tends to be a pain because you need five hearts on the board (whereas a team with a good RCV multiplier would need only three), and it's difficult to make a cross while also making a strong attack. Also, coming into this without Sumire experience, making crosses is a lot of work. I sometimes spent too much time planning my moves, and even with 3 extra seconds of match time, I sometimes messed up my heart match. Basically once I got slightly off, I wasn't good at correcting it on the fly.

3) The burst is pretty high with a decent Skuld->Siegfried + Bodin (can generally get over 6 mil, more with I&I). The problem is that when Siegfried isn't available, it's difficult to get reliable burst. In a few of the harder dungeons I left Siegfried behind and just had to hope for good luck. In the Zera win, Skuld gave me a good board on her own when Zera was below 50%, which is the only reason I won.

cjo likes this.
  3. MisterDrgn

User ID:
    Oh, and here's the Karin clear of Scarlet that started this whole thing. Got it on the first try, then Nordis kicked Karin's ass so I switched to Sumire, then at the end I came back to Scarlet with Sumire and had a lot more trouble.

David@PF likes this.
  4. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Well-Known Member

User ID:
    Good job and way to stay the course.

5. nocutename

nocutename 1,500 days

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Nice clears! Sumire at least has a light sub-att to make you feel at home. :p It is tough to use a new team, especially one that is far off from what you are used to. Great job though.

6. ronsonson

ronsonson DragRON Master

I definitely admire this. I am glad my Sumire was of service to you.

MisterDrgn likes this.