The Trials, Travails, and Triumphs of Tek, a sometimes average $146.06 USD total IAP PAD player

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by Tek7, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'd very much like to clear an Alt. coin dungeon and secure a pii, just to say I've done it.

Maybe I could start with Alt. Shrine of Blazing Woods?

Of course, I'd have to assemble a coin dungeon team. I hear Athena's a good lead for that sort of thing...

Also, as much as I loathe--LOATHE--the skill-up system, I want to max-skill my LMeta. Right now, she's skill level 3.

Oh, side note: I max-skilled my JDDJ. Yes, with an Amethyst Pengdra. I only had to waste 4-5 of them to get the last skill-up. -_-

2. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Just cleared the last two floors of Alt. Shrine of Blazing Woods with my Armadel team (Armadel, R/G Suzaku, Medjedra, G/R Liu Bei, G/R Cu Chu) and a Verdandi friend lead.

I find new reasons to love this team every day. :)

For the record, I cleared the first 3 floors with my Ronia team (Ronia, Hadar, Vamp, JDDJ, mini Lu Bu) and Beelzebub friends. I only switched over to my Armadel team when I ran out of Beelzebub friends. :p

Unfortunately, I did not see a single Shynpy on any of the 38 floors I cleared. :/

unlimitedx likes this.
  3. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Gold Pirate did not drop during the first 3 runs on Dark Faerie. During 2x drop rate.

/smh

Stats for the first mealtime:

10 runs

5 drops

1 skill-up

4. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    6 more runs.

2 drops.

This is absurd.

I'll use the remainder of my natural stamina today, but I cringe at the thought of stoning for stamina when I don't even know how often I'll play my LKali team (and I can't think of any other use for Fuma with my current box).

5. maherd

maherd Bearded Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Yup. This is what 15 stamina dungeons get you. You'll probably get a good streak at some point though.

6. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Second mealtime:

~11 runs (I stopped keeping count)

5 drops

1 skill-up

I'm one short of another mealtime (I have 4 Gold Pirates), but it took me ~9 runs to collect them.

So I'm averaging one drop for every 2-3 runs and 1 skill-up from every 5 drops.

I can't say I'm surprised by how woefully boring and unrewarding the skill-up process is. In a way, I'm somewhat relieved it's gone so terribly because this is just one more reason to semi-retire when PADZ/PAD SMB releases.

If progressing from Legend difficulty descends to Mythical difficulty descends demands max-skilled monsters, then I think it's about time for me to bow out.

7. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Aaand just as I'm whining about the skill-up system, I go 2/4 to max-skill my Fuma.

Well, I'm done and I didn't have to stone for stamina refresh. I may have even collected 2 more Gold Pirates than I needed. Regardless, it's done and I can turn my attention back to content that's actually fun to play.

Like steamrolling tthe remaining difficulty levels of Green Bowl Dragon with my Armadel team for an easy stone. :D

unlimitedx and maherd like this.
  8. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I had ~70 stamina about 30 minutes ago, so I entered Grimoires Descended on Legend with my Armadel team and a hypermax Verdandi friend lead for grins and giggles. I wanted to see how far I could get before I got knocked out, but mostly I just wanted to burn the stamina. I wasn't really concerned with whether I won or lost.

...I zero-stoned the dungeon.

I faced off against Armadel (was hoping for Theurgia to complete the set) and I didn't get a drop, but I didn't really mind. Clearing a descend, even on Legend, with my Armadel team was reward enough.

I said it before, but it bears repeating: I find new reasons to love this team every day.

9. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    To roll or not to roll, that is the question. Both godfests look great, but I have the sneaking suspicion that if I only roll once each day, I'll end up with garbage and regret not saving the stones for continues or box space.

I rolled once on my alt account (where I had 31 stones and not a care whether I get rubbish or not) and got Wukong. Getting something good on a roll on my alt account makes me even more confident that I'd get trash on my main account.

Decisions, decisions.

Well, I'm still planning on semi-retiring on May 22 anyway, so maybe I should just roll once each day and find out what happens...

10. maherd

maherd Bearded Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Congrats on skilling up Fuma so quickly! Your LKali team is very strong now and I look forward to seeing how you fare with it.

I'll also be interested to see if playing the lower stress 3DS versions for a while will help you improve your play in this version.

11. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    WHY DO I NEVER LEARN

Rolled twice, got Pierdrawn and Genie.

/smh

If God is sovereign even over seemingly random events (like REM pulls) like I believe, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume these pulls, awful as they are, are encouraging me to stick to my plan to semi-retire on 5/22.

On the plus side, this has me all the more hyped about PADZ and PAD SMB! :D

12. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Thanks! I need to figure out what would serve as a good test run. EC seems ideal since it doesn't cost any stamina, but OH MY WORD the first forty floors are SO BORING.

I think it's more likely that playing the 3DS version will prompt me to stay semi-retired or quit PAD proper altogether.

I realized recently that the only thing that's keeping me from clearing more content are a few key REM pulls.

That's it. Not skill, not ability, not discipline, not time. Random chance. That is all.

Everything could change with a single roll. If Verdandi popped out of the REM instead of Pierdrawn, I'd be on my way to throwing a new team (and by "new," I mean swapping Armadel for Verdandi) against some Legend and maybe even Mythical descends.

Contrast this with Tetris or Puyo Puyo or Puzzle Fighter or Magical Drop--games where your success is based almost exclusively on skill rather than chance--and I start to question why I've stuck with PAD so long. I can answer the question, of course, but the answers seem more hollow by the day. :(

Okay, fine, sure, if I were a better player, I could probably steamroll a few Mythicals with my LKali or Kirin teams. But I could take my skill level today, improve no further at all, and advance further in the game solely with the help of a few key REM pulls.

Even my success up to now has largely hinged on LMeta, GZL, and Ronia--3 godfest exclusives. If I hadn't pulled any of them, where would I be in terms of progress?

So much of this game is wholly dependent on random chance, which is a shame, because the core gameplay is so much fun.

My hope is that PADZ and PAD SMB take the core gameplay (move shiny orbs to match them in sets of 3 or more), remove the elements that depend so heavily on random chance (most notably, REM and skill-ups), and allow players to progress based on skill rather than "luck."

We'll see.

Who knows? Maybe I'll pull the REM again tonight or tomorrow in a fit of madness and get DQXQ or Kushi or Verdandi and, in the rush that follows, forget why I ever got upset.

Maybe.

But maybe not.

13. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Rolled one more time thinking, "Certainly the law of averages demands that I can't roll garbage 3 times in a row, right?"

Wrong.

Got Ur-Chimera.

-_-

So, 3 REM pulls:

Already had 1 Pierdrawn as well as a max level, max-skilled JDDJ.

This makes 3.

This one's new, but I can't imagine how he'd be of any use.

/sigh

14. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I've decided I'm going to roll once tomorrow in hopes of landing Bastet or DQXQ then hold my stones until the PCGF.

I don't think I've ever had REM pulls this bad. I can't imagine paying money for stones then watching as my $5 investment netted me a third Genie.

The real kick in the pants is that I rolled once on my alt account and pulled Wukong. Not the greatest monster, but still a gold egg featured in the godfest. I would have been happy to land him on my main account (though I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with him).

15. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Just looked at Cao Cao's R/G UEvo and realized he would be an amazing sub for Armadel.

Would not be disappointed to roll Cao Cao during the godfest tomorrow...

16. unlimitedx

unlimitedx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Hope you get a :egg5: roll tomorrow!

17. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    So I started my day planning to roll once and only once.

I load up PAD, pull on the REM, and out pops...

A gold egg!

Hype!

What's in the egg?!

...Anubis.

Anubis?

Yes, Anubis.

When I said before that I want a combo leader, I meant a combo leader with a leader skill I CAN ACTUALLY ACTIVATE.

"Well," I think to myself, "I'm semi-retiring in 6 days anyway. Let's see what else pops out."

Roll again.

Gold egg again!

COULD IT BE BASTET OR DQXQ OR SQ?

Nope.

It's Mitsuki.

Mitsuki?

Yes, Mitsuki.

What on earth am I going to do with Mitsuki? My healer team focuses on light, my fire team is centered around Suzaku (who needs wood and light orbs to activate her LS), and my Armadel team needs R/G or G/R subs (and, of course, wood orbs). Maybe I could build a Uriel team and throw her on that?

Okay, two gold eggs in a row and semi-retiring in 6 days. Let's keep the madness going. Roll again.

Silver egg.

Woodbahn.

Not as disappointed as you might expect because I was just thinking I'd like to have a wood monster with delay. So, certainly not excited, but not crushed.

Hey, I've got 13 eggs left at this point and 6 days before semi-retirement. One more roll in the vain hope of landing Bastet or DQXQ or Verdandi or SQ or Cao Cao or Lu Bu or GOdin or Blonia or even a second Liu Bei.

ONE MORE ROLL. THIS IS IT.

GOLD EGG!

SO HYPE!

THIS COULD BE IT.

...Aaand it's Apocalypse.

Apocalypse?

Yes, Apocalypse. A dupe of a godfest exclusive I already don't use.

Well, 4 rolls and it's hard to imagine getting trolled harder by 3 gold eggs. A combo leader when I asked for a combo leader but with a LS it would take a savant to activate, a second sticker girl that's not Fuu (last time it was Ruka), a wood monster that isn't Bastet, and a godfest exclusive that's a dupe of a monster that isn't on any of my teams.

So my plan is right on track! Six days from now, I should receive PADZ and PAD SMB in the mail and I will semi-retire from PAD. I still plan on running Supers, testing my LKali team (I'll get around to it someday, really), playing new Legend difficulty content (or Mythical if I have a team well-suited to the task), and saving my stones for PCGF.

The sane part off me is glad the rolls went as poorly as they did. The less sane part of me is disappointed I didn't get any of the REM pulls I wanted. That same less sane part of me was excited at the prospect of building a Bastet team and playing the game in a new way (focusing on number of combos instead of matching 3-4 elements on the same turn) or getting DQXQ both as a lead and as an ideal sub for my light healer team or getting Cao Cao for his R/G UEvo and throwing him on my Armadel team or getting SQ to replace Echidna on my healer team or getting Verdandi and wrecking content with G/R and R/G subs or--well, you get the point. There were so many possibilities that would have left me feeling like I hadn't just wasted 20 stones today and 15 stones yesterday.

But then I look at this cute little 6-month old baby I'm holding in my lap as I type this and it's easy to believe that God is in control of the little things (like REM rolls) as well as the big things and He knows exactly what He's doing. I know that if I'd gotten any of the pulls I wanted, I would have spent the bulk of the day on theorycrafting or reading guides or otherwise focusing on a game that shouldn't occupy nearly as much of my time and mindspace as it already does.

So I'm okay. I'm disappointed but I'm also relieved. And it feels odd to type this, but I genuinely believe most of you will understand that conflicted feeling, even if you hold a different world view or are in a different season of life.

PAD is a great game, but it's just a game. It's not worthy of controlling our emotions, sending us into fits of despair when we burn 35 stones on the REM with nothing of real value to show for it or sending us into fits of ecstasy when we get that perfect roll (I mean, I'm guessing) or finally clear that descend or challenge we've been working on. The highs are nice, I won't deny it. But the lows are awful. And all the theorycrafting and time spent in between isn't too healthy, either.

I've said so many times that I'm looking for a way to play PAD in moderation. Well, I think semi-retirement is the answer I was looking for. I think in a few months, assuming I have the discipline to stick to my plan, I'll be grateful for rubbish rolls. I think I'm a little grateful even today. :)

18. mkman

mkman Green Guan Yu Power!

User ID:
    392 908 336
    why are you retiring from pad? Give your acct to someone to caregive over, someone will love it

19. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'm not retiring. Just semi-retiring.

Basically, I'm giving up on making the leap from Legend to Mythical because all my best routes to consistently clearing Mythical content (Ronia, LMeta, and GZL teams) have been blocked by bad REM pulls. There's still LKali and Kirin, but I still don't have the skill to consistently activate either's LS. LKali represents my best chance of progressing without getting more REM monsters.

I'll still play new content and run Supers to level my monsters, but I'm going to play more casually than before.

So I won't be quitting. I'll just be spending less time on the game, which has to be a healthy thing. :)

20. mkman

mkman Green Guan Yu Power!

User ID:
    392 908 336
    tek7, you can't beat beelzebub dungeon? if you can beat, it, uevo beelz + ronia beats c10 dungeons.............