The Trials, Travails, and Triumphs of Tek, a sometimes average $76.63 total IAP PAD player

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by Tek7, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Just tried the Zeus-Dios descend. Played one turn, did a little bit of damage to Cu Chu, got hit with Hyper Fire Bind by Sieg (binds fire monsters for TEN TURNS), moved a few orbs, game over.

Yeeeah, don't think I'll be attempting that descend again any time soon.

2. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I plan on quitting Puzzle & Dragons after Poring Tower ends and the skill-up system is the reason why.

I spent ALL of yesterday's natural stamina running Poring Tower.

I got 3 Drops.

And ZERO skill-ups.

I have spent ALL of today's natural stamina so far PLUS stoned to refresh stamina 3 times, all of it for Poring Tower.

I got 9 more Drops.

And ZERO skill-ups.

Yes, that's correct, I'm 0/12 for Valk skill-ups.

Zero. For. Twelve.

I am so tired of farming Poring Tower.

In the interest of full disclosure, I was able to max-skill my Cu Chu and Sieg (both of which were skill level 2 going in to Poring Tower), but it's little consolation right now since Valk is my #1 concern during Poring Tower.

I knew PAD's skill-up system was awful, but this has me seriously considering writing down my unique ID and uninstalling the game on Monday morning.

May 15 (and the release of the 3DS versions of PAD) can't come soon enough.

I won't be spending any more stones today and, if there's no 2x drops multiplier for Poring Tower tomorrow, I don't plan on spending any stones on stamina refresh tomorrow, either.

3. maherd

maherd Bearded Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Hi, Tek. I feel bad that I hadn't caught that you started a blog and more so that you are having so much trouble with skill-ups. There is a 2x drop tomorrow so hang in there and I hope things break your way.

4. lennn

lennn Well-Known Member

PADherder:
    link
    Sorry to hear that, I also had some badluck trying to skillup my Kali. I got fed up and ended up just feeding her shynpy instead of farming angelits. The only reason I even skill her up is because she's on most of my teams... everyone else is like sklvl1. Don't feel the need to max skill everyone if you're getting by without it. It's just alot of stress unless you're willing to throw stones at it without hesitation.

With that said... ya there's not much you can do other than try again. Rng is rng and we usually just remember the bad ones while there are probably just as many good rngs (REM, skyfalls, etc).

I just remember you made a thread a while ago :p
    http://puzzleanddragonsforum.com/showthread.php?tid=68130

5. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Thanks!

And don't feel bad; I started the blog foremost to record my own experiences and stop creating new threads in Rants and Accomplishments every time I cleared a descend or felt like ranting. I don't expect many people to read it, though, of course, anyone is welcome to read and reply.

The 2x drop rate will probably have me spending stones, which only has me leaning more heavily toward semi-retiring from the game. If I spend 3-5 stones on stamina refreshes tomorrow and I still don't have a max-skilled Valk by Monday morning, I think that's more than sufficient reason to quit.

Trouble is, I have never wanted to max-skill a monster as desperately as I want to max-skill Valkyrie.

Landing Valk was my long-term goal for many months and clearing her descend on Mythical remains what I consider my greatest PAD accomplishment to date. I already run a max-skilled Angelion on my light healer team and I have a max-skilled Siren ready to roll at any given time, so max-skilling Valk would be the last significant thing I can do to improve my healer teams for the foreseeable future (unless clearing Sandalphon is more plausible than I previously thought). Sure, I'd love to land LZL or DQXQ or Venus or Raphael, but I've all but given up on anything dependent on RNG in PAD, ESPECIALLY the REM.

I've definitely had some very fortunate breaks in PAD (especially my early REM rolls), but 0/14 for skill-ups on my most prized monster tends to sour the mood.

We'll see how tomorrow goes...

So I did. :) It feels like I'm always threatening to quit, but I don't believe I've ever been quite this close before.

And aside from going 0/14 on skill-ups for Valk, I also recognize that I'm unlikely to cross the chasm between clearing Legend difficulty descends and clearing Mythical difficulty descends (with the obvious exceptions of Valkyrie and Beelzebub) without REM monsters (e.g. Belial, Lu Bu, FA Lucifer, Shiva, and Hades for my Ronia teams; DQXQ, Venus, and Raphael for my healer teams; Sasuke, Kushi, and Marine Rider for my GZL teams; GOdin, Avalon Drake, and Izanagi for my Athena teams).

In short, I've done just about all I can do without relying very, very heavily on chance. And when I consider how much time I've wasted over the last 2 days with no Valk skill-ups to show for it, I think back to my when my wife asked me, "If it's not fun, then why are you still playing it?"

Right now, I'm having a really tough time finding an answer.

I know I could probably write out a few bullet points, but I think that, at this moment, they'd just feel like excuses.

6. mkman

mkman Green Guan Yu Power!

User ID:
    392 908 336
    Dont quit after all your hard work. Should be 2x drops tmrw.....hope you get some skill ups

7. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
  8. maherd

maherd Bearded Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'm waiting for you to have a 2/3 streak to get things going.

9. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I fused 5 at a time and FINALLY got 2 skill-ups.

I fused 5 at a time again and got zero.

2/28

This is absurd.

10. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Update: 3/33

11. maherd

maherd Bearded Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Almost there! Remember, for some teams valk will be up on turn one even if she is 1 shy of max skill. Just something to consider if you are up against needing to use another stone for the list skill-up.

12. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Update: 3/38

EDIT: Yes, that means 0/5 AGAIN.

My Valk was already at skill level 2 when Poring Tower started.

Interesting (to me) side note: During the last Poring Tower, I fed away all but one of my Drops because I didn't have Valk yet. After I got Valk, I fed my 1 Drops to Valk...and got 1 skill-up.

And then I went 0/18 before getting another skill-up.

/sigh

13. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Update: 4/46

I have now spent 9 stones on stamina refreshes between yesterday and today.

Earlier, I went FIVE runs with ONE Drops drop.

My Valk is at skill level 6, so only one skill-up remains--but the last 6 Drops have been duds.

:(

EDIT: 4/49

That means I'm on a 0/9 streak waiting for my last Valk skill-up.

EDIT#2: Another run and no Drops.

EDIT#3: Yet ANOTHER run and no Drops.

I'm down to 2 stones, from 11.

14. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Update: 4/52

Which means a 0/12 streak.

I just want to get this last skill-up and quit PAD. :<

EDIT: And yet another run with no Drops.

The skill-up ratio is bad enough, but when I'm only getting 1 Drops every 2-3 runs, it just makes it all the more infuriating.

15. maherd

maherd Bearded Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I will say this for your experience... I have never had luck as bad as your having and I doubt you ever will again either. So, at lest this happened with a dungeon that isn't difficult and very cheap on expert. One day you may say to yourself, "Man, I'm glad I had such awful luck on poring tower and not the dreadful tedium I'm playing through now."

16. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    5/56

It's over.

I can sleep now.

But this experience has given me much food for thought, which I plan to share soon.

But for now, it's time to head to bed.

EDIT: To add insult to injury, I fed my one leftover Drops to my second Valk...and got a skill-up.

-_-

17. mkman

mkman Green Guan Yu Power!

User ID:
    392 908 336
    ouch that was extremely terrible! So whats next?

18. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Well, I don't think I'll ever skill-up another monsters with skill-up food only available during a collab or other limited-time event again.

I want to take it easy and just run Supers for the remainder of the PAX East event. I skipped the only descend I was interested in (Heracles, which I previously cleared on Legend but didn't get the drop) to farm skill-ups.

I might clear the GungHo collab for the stone. I think my LMeta team can clear the highest difficulty without stoning.

I want to get a Samurai Goblin so all these extra Big Flamies don't go to waste. :)

When the Mini 3K PEM reaches NA, I'll roll as many times as I can. So far, I have 6 rolls saved up and I may be able to get 1 or 2 more before 3/4.

But most importantly, I need to take a step back, take a long, hard look at myself and my playing habits, and consider quitting the game altogether.

On a side note, I noticed this morning that the rating for this thread had dropped from 5 stars to 3. I certainly can't fault whoever rated the thread low; I'm embarrassed to find that the last page of posts from me are complaints about bad skill-up rates when I should have had the discipline to stop and put the game down. I wouldn't enjoy reading whining, either, and I plan to bring some more constructive posts soon, regardless how short my remaining time playing PAD may be.

No such discussion would be possible and genuine if I didn't at least make mention of my faith, which is the lens through which I view the world; it affects (or should affect) everything I do and say. I don't expect others to agree with my world view, but I hope that by posting in a blog thread, I'll be afforded some lenience. :)

19. maherd

maherd Bearded Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Forget about the rating. I rated it 5* and that alone jumped it up to 4* overall, which all but confirmed my suspicion that there were probably only like 3 ratings and someone was trolling you. People often rant and complain on their blogs. You didn't start this to just to complain about your skill-up rate so this won't reflect the blog overall in time.

Also, like I said earlier this will probably be the worst skill-up rate you'll ever experience. I've never had a rate that bad, but I have had Ra go like 3/6, Liu Bei 4/8, Thor 4/7. So, be encouraged that you will at least see several very good, if short, streaks like these that will take a monster from unusable to solid contributors.

20. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Copy/paste time again!