The Trials, Travails, and Triumphs of Tek, a sometimes average $79.60 total IAP PAD player

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by Tek7, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Got excited when I saw the reward for the Takeminakata Challenge Descend is 2,000 Pal Points.

Swept descend with my LMeta team.

Collected reward.

...And pulled 2 more mini Lu Bu from the Mini 3K PEM.

-_-

EDIT: So, what do I do with 5 mini Lu Bu?

2. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    So here are some more details of my progress skilling up my Valk (no, I didn't forget; I've just had some time to simmer down):

1/1
    3/24 (Got 2 skill-ups in a group of 5, thus the jump)
    4/34
    5/42
    6/57

Speaking of random chance, here's a breakdown of my Mini 3K PEM pulls:

5 Lu Bu
    2 Liu Bei
    2 Cao Cao
    1 DQXQ
    0 Sun Quan

I like the gameplay of PAD well enough, but I think it's time I at least steer clear of anything dependent on random chance.

EDIT: By the way, I pulled twice from the Mini 3K PEM on my inactive alt account.

Yep. You guessed it.

I got mini SQ on my alt account.

-_-

3. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    True, but I wouldn't fault someone for giving the thread a low rating. Everyone is welcome to their opinion and a low rating wouldn't be without plausible cause.

Nevertheless, it's my hope to steer clear of whining in future posts. Let's see how well I stick to that. :)

Your words of encouragement are greatly appreciated!

I know that the law of averages suggests you're right, but I want to learn from the experience if at all possible, even if what I learn isn't pleasant or flattering to me.

I wish I had the time to type the post that's been simmering my head, but I need to be coherent driving to church tomorrow mornings, so it will need to wait. :)

4. unlimitedx

unlimitedx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'm holding onto all my mini dupes until I figure out what I want to do. Probably keep two and feed the rest for skill ups.

5. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Time for updates!

First, a bit of lazy copypasta:

Next, I'm pleased to report that I rolled mini Sun Quan from the Mini 3K PEM! And it only took 12 rolls! :p

I've rolled the Mini 3K PEM twice more since and got another mini Liu Bei and another Cao Cao. (I'm hoping to score a second mini DQXQ so I can keep one unevolved for low-rarity dungeons.)

In other news, I cleared the PADZ collab on "Z" difficulty (the equivalent of Legend, I guess?) on 3/7 with the following team:

GZL/ADKZ/Vishnu/Asgard/Heavy Infantry Hobgoblin (one of my favorite monsters, by the bye)

https://www.padherder.com/user/Tek7/teams/#126827

So there's my good news.

In the interest of full disclosure, I feel compelled to confess that I spent 3 stones on a descend I'd already cleared (Beelzebub), once on Kirin (jewel invade!), once on Astaroth, and once on Beelz himself. I already had 3 Jewels of Light, so it was rather foolish of me to spend a stone to keep one. I just wanted to finally earn a jewel on my own (rather than roll one from the PEM during an event), but in hindsight, it was a silly decision.

Afterwards, I made 3 or 4 attempts at Beelzebub's descend challenge, but failed every time. The last time, I made it as far as the last 10-15% of Beelz's health but was struck by his fullboard poison orb change spell.

:<

I thought about running Sopdet and Thoth's descend on Legend again in hopes of getting Thoth to drop (I have 2 Sopdets in my box), but I don't really have any use for him and, with the day I've had, I just don't think it's wise for me to attempt a descend that's frustrated me in the past (in part because I think I should be able to clear it easily and it still gives me trouble).

I also got knocked out by a dark chimera in Hadar's dungeon, which made me feel really silly. I underestimated the chimera's Double Strike, which one-shot me. I feel especially daft because I had both Valk's and Angelion's actives available; I just wanted to save them for upcoming levels. Live and learn, I suppose (though I've cleared that dungeon at least 5 times before).

So there you have it. Some successes, some (rather embarrassing) failures, some more of the day-to-day PAD life of Tek.

EDIT: Oh my! I forgot to mention that I rolled mini LZL from the Mini 3K PEM...

...and I have no idea what to do with him.

I mean, is there any point in running him as a lead when I have LMeta?

And isn't his worth as a sub based largely on his (the full size LZL's) awesome awakenings?

It feels weird to even type this, but: When I saw the gold egg roll out of the Mini 3K PEM, I think it was the first time I was ever disappointed to see a gold egg roll out of a machine. :/

6. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Against my better judgment, I ran Sopdet's and Thoth's descend tonight.

Zero-stoned it (after falling to Ra earlier in the day)...

...but it took me ~73 turns on the boss fight.

And I got a third Sopdet. :(

Maybe it's because I always kill Thoth first?

As if falling to the daddy Chimera on floor 5 wasn't bad enough, I fell to a pair of baby chimerae (sp?) on floor 2.

/facepalm

I really need to stop underestimating content just because I've cleared it several times before.

But I am NOT stoning for stamina to attempt Hadar's dungeon again. I have at least that much self-control.

EDIT: Oh, and I rolled a second DQXQ from the Mini 3K PEM earlier tonight. Very pleased!

I don't know if I'll spend my 1,000 Pal Points tomorrow on one last roll of the Mini 3K PEM (especially since the only monster from the PEM I lack is RGY, mini RGY's evolved form doesn't multiply damage for Balanced monsters, and I already have Apocalypse).

It would probably be better spent on the regular PEM in hopes of scoring some rare evo materials...

...though I already have more sacred masks, Keepers of Gold, and devilits than I know what to do with.

7. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I JUST ZERO-STONED ATHENA WITH MY LMETA TEAM!

/dance

/cheer

LMeta/Echidna/Valk/Angelion/Shynee/Hypermax LMeta friend lead

Feels good, man!

I forgot to report recently that I cleared OoH AFTER a skyfall heal match deactivated my and my friend's GZL. One of those, "If I'm going down, I'm not going down without a fight" moments that turned out pretty cool. I know the veterans among the community probably don't think that's a big deal, but it was really neat to me.

EDIT: In the interest of fairness, I feel compelled to share that my first attempt at Athena this morning did not go as well...

...because I forgot which team I used to clear her descend the first time.

/facepalm

I went in with my Ronia team (Ronia/Hera-Ur/Vamp/JDDJ/Baddie/Hypermax Ronia friend lead) and quickly discovered that, nope, I didn't have the damage output I was expecting...

...so I fell to Gigas' first attack.

My only complaint about my successful clear is that I didn't get Gigas to drop. But now that I have Gaia, I don't know if that's really an issue (unless I decide to attempt Tengu).

EDIT#2: I also should mention that skyfall (which added one 3 fire orb match and one 3 light orb match to my own efforts) saved my hindquarters on the last turn against Athena--after "The end is nigh!" and before Starburst.

But I'll take it!

8. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    COPYPASTA

From the Mini 3K PEM results thread:

9. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Aaand more copy/paste:

10. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    THE COPYPASTA STRIKES BACK

Now that I've shared where I'm at in regards to progress in the game, I'm hoping to find some time soon to share some more personal posts about PAD, playing in moderation (or not), and what's been on my mind lately.

But for now, it's time for laundry!

11. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Let's talk plans!

I'm skipping this godfest because I only have 5 stones and the odds of getting Kushi on one REM roll are extremely low.

On a related note, I pulled from the REM just once on my inactive alt account for grins and giggles...and got Pandora. :p

She'll be sharing the same box as Sasuke, Sun Quan, LKali, BOdin, FA Luci, Ammy, Haku, Lu Bu, D/D Batman, Cao Cao, Holy Night Genie, Ares, Hermes, and other REM pulls I'd love to have on my main account. :/

Looking over the descend schedule for the Hues of Green event, I only see one or two dungeons I'm interested in: Beelz (to see if I can finally zero-stone a third Mythical following my successes against Valk and Athena) and possibly Grimoires, if the speculation is accurate and I have a team capable of clearing it.

I'll probably clear the Shadow Sprite dungeons for the stone.

I'm skipping Zhang Fei until NA gets the update that drops the "main types only" requirement for restricted dungeons.

So not much of interest (to me) in this event...for which I'm grateful. I feel like I need a breather after that less-than-stellar Sandalphon clear earlier this week. :/

12. unlimitedx

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    And we get another 5x tech on Monday!

Edit: Looks like RO Collab is coming so it will be a VERY busy two weeks!!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  13. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I haven't decided if I'm going to farm +eggs, farm Hadar skill-ups, or run Supers on Monday. I have 116 max stamina at rank 199, so I have to choose my 50-stamina dungeons carefully during events.

I thought about running the RO collab, but I don't think I have a good 4-star team and, after coming to loathe Poring Tower after the nightmare that was skilling up my Valk, I don't know if I'm up for farming skill-up food again.

14. unlimitedx

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    RO Collab, separate from the RO Ace collab :)

15. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Aha! There aren't any restrictions on the RO Collab, so I'll probably clear it just for the stone (and maybe for Holy Dragon skill-ups, but just in passing).

16. Ele

Ele on the plus egg hunt

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'm sorry for your bad luck with skill ups. I've had a similar luck skilling up some of mine. Worst run was 0/75 on my red valk. It's still not max skilled but whatever. I've all but given up on it. My Chiyome is now just needing 1 more to be at max. She's at 0/44 currently With my last streak.

17. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Bwah? 0/75? I think I would have rage-uninstalled by then. It's likely little consolation at this point, but at least Red Valk's skill-up food is always available and in plentiful supply.

0/44 skill-ups for Chiyome, though...Ouch. Skill-ups are, in my opinion, the worst part of PAD and the #1 reason I'm looking forward to PADZ and PAD SMB for the 3DS.

18. Ele

Ele on the plus egg hunt

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Skill up stinks. I haven't rage uninstalled because I love the gam and I have a ton more to work on. So it's no worries.

And I got the last skill up on Chiyome. :) now just to max level her.

How did you fare today?

19. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I didn't play much at all. I ran the evo materials rush twice (70 stamina) and ruby Supers twice (100 stamina). I'll probably play Fire Sprite once before bed for hopes of a Chiyome skill-up. Or I might just crash when I get to bed because I have to be up an hour earlier than usual tomorrow. :<

20. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Post #500!

A few updates:

I've evolved my Sandalphon and fed him a snow globe dragon (no Great or Super on the feed, though :<), so he's now level 83.

I zero-stoned fat dragon! Or Extreme Metal Dragon. Or whatever it's called, I don't care, I zero-stoned it! Huzzah!

I cleared the Grimoires Descended on Legend 3 times last night. I ran my GZL offense team (GZL, G/R Liu Bei, G/R Cu Chu, Artemis, Vishnu, +297 GZL friend lead).

The first 2 times, I had to stone once on Michael; I just couldn't quite get the last few HP knocked out before he took me down. The third time, I still stoned once on Michael, but also had to stone once on the boss because I did too much damage before setting up the spike. Oops!

I landed two blue grimoires (Ars Paulina) and one green grimoire (Armadel). I am completely fine with spending 2 stones to get Armadel. :> I already have my first theory team assembled:

Armadel
    G/R Liu Bei
    G/R Cu Chu
    R/G Suzaku
    Yinping

So hyped!

Now I just need ~700,000 green XP to evolve Armadel (I already have the evo mats on hand) and I'll be ready to start testing. C'mon, emerald Supers!

I calculated I'll have a 51.68x damage multiplier (3.5 * 3.5 * 3.375 * 1.25) for Liu Bei's 4-orb matches with an Armadel friend lead WITHOUT ANY OTHER CONDITIONS. That's 88,114 damage each against 2 enemies for Liu Bei alone (assuming max level) just for matching 4 wood orbs! And that doesn't even take enhanced orbs into consideration!

Makes me want to start throwing ATK +eggs his way, but I'll hold the course and +297 my LMeta first. :>

Speaking of LMeta, she's now at 200 +eggs! I'm 2/3 of the way to my first +297! :D