The Trials, Travails, and Triumphs of Tek, a sometimes average $79.60 total IAP PAD player

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by Tek7, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Ele

Ele on the plus egg hunt

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I got both drops too in the same dungeon. Haven't used either, but maybe one day.

Nice job on it. :)

2. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Thanks!

I don't see anything of interest on the PDX calendar except SSP and Thoth & Sopdet. I have 3 Sopdets and 0 Thoths, so I'll likely run it again when it returns.

The drop rates for the survey dungeons have been abysmal for me, even with 2x drop rate. I had planned to run Dragon Guardian several times today, perhaps even skipping Pengdra Village (since I can buy it for 1,000,000 coins), but I ran it once and got zero drops. Remembering how aggravating skilling up Valk was and considering I don't use ADKZ nearly as often these days (having since replaced him on my GZL team with Liu Bei), I don't think I want to burn 15 stamina per run for a small chance at a small chance to skill him up.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: PAD's skill-up system is awful.

3. Ele

Ele on the plus egg hunt

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I get better drops for thr mystic knights in the legendary dragons and Hera (original)
    Skill ups are frustrating but so worth it when a monster is maxed

4. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    NOTE: I wrote this post last night but forgot to, well, post it. My bad!

Hera, eh? That's not a bad idea. I'm sorely tempted to skip skilling up any mystic knights through survey dungeons and running Hera instead. At the very least, I'll get skill-up food for my Awoken Hera, Holy Night Hera, and Awoken Hera-Is.

On an unrelated note, I now have 16 Amethyst Pengdra sitting in my box, waiting for the update when they'll get an active skill and the honor of being fed to my JDDJ for skill-ups. :p

So I have run Wednesday dungeon on Expert 3 times today and gotten ZERO Mystic Masks. Grr. I need several of them for evolutions and Ocean of Heaven has not dropped any these last 2 weeks.

I spent a good chunk of today's stamina on Pengdra Village and I'm struck again by how painfully slow leveling a monster past 50 can be in PAD. It doesn't help that I'm spreading my XP across so many monsters, but man, going from Monster Strike (where I have to feed Expies, the equivalent of R/G/B/L/D dragons, just to clear box space and I have no other monsters I want to level) to PAD (where I have so very many monsters I want to max level and I'm so far from 99 on most of them) is jarring.

Tomorrow is Kanetsugu, so I'll probably spend any stamina I don't spend on Supers on Challenge Dungeon 4 or 5 instead.

I figure I'll spend/waste most of my stamina on SSP during the 2x drop rate on 4/3. I'd really, really, REALLY like to have a max-skilled Echidna.

Nothing of interest (to me) on 4/4. I'll probably run Supers and whatever Challenge Dungeon under 6 I haven't completed yet. (I don't plan on even attempting 6 or above.)

Thoth & Sopdet on 4/5 (Easter, huzzah!). Hoping Thoth will FINALLY drop.

5. Ele

Ele on the plus egg hunt

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    How many monsters are you trying to spread the XP between? I was given fantastic advice and it's helped me so much. I was told to take my main team, and work on that one first. Especially with Supers and regular fodder.

Example, my U&Y was around 55. I was told to make the leader level 70. Then get the subs to 70, do it one at a time. When they were all 70, make the leader 75 or 80. Then repeat with the subs.

I found that it helped immensely to concentrate one one monster / team at a time. So when I ran Supers, all of the color got fed to one monster until that monster reached the magic number. Then I switched to the monster in slot 2 In the team.

For me, that has been working really well.
    I prioritized my teams into U&Y; GZL; Yamato/Urd (basically same team different leads). All blue Supers went to U&Y team. (except Echidna - she ate red). All Greens went to the GZL team, and reds are on Yamato/Urd team.

I don't stone for stamina refresh during supers, just run it on natural stamina.

During the rest of the time I fed all fodder to a designated monster. I had my kiddo pick out of a hat, and kiddo got to watch me feed all the fodder. If that sub reached whatever level, kiddo picked a new monster to feed fodder.

So far, it's worked for me.

Graham likes this.
  6. cjo

cjo Well-Known Member

Hiya Tek, I was reading a few of your posts today, and I just had to laugh at the "medium pretty" story! You can never tell what kids are going to like. Anyway, I have a Starling, so if you want to add me, I don't mind being messaged about rare leaders. Of course there's no guarantee that I'll see it in a timely fashion, but if I do, I'll be happy to put Starling up. She's not maxed, but she's decent (L80 or so IIRC). I'm working on a team for her myself.

7. Graham

Graham λδ

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    But your daughter is completely right. Pre-uvo Starling is the most beautiful monster of the game, while her (Starling's) uvo is a step backwards in my opinion.

8. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Today brings the totals to 4 Sopdets and 0 Thoths. :<

On a positive note, I got my last 2 skill-ups for my Echidna since my previous post. Huzzah! I have a max-skilled Echidna now!

I plan to post more and reply to posts when I'm back on a computer. (I'm posting from a phone.)

unlimitedx likes this.
  9. unlimitedx

unlimitedx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Congrats on the max skilled Echidna! I finally max skilled her this time around as well! I will work on a max skilled low cost Echidna next time around...

10. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Happy Easter, all! Christ is risen!

On to PAD news: I cleared Thoth & Sopdet 2 more times today. No drop either time. :(

I'll try to type more and reply to posts tomorrow, but I need to head toward bed. Easter was a busy day!

unlimitedx and maherd like this.
  11. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    And it's great advice. I used a similar principle when leveling my current GZL team. I got them all to 90 and then started working on getting them all to max level.

My problem is that I don't have any more "main teams" for R/G/B fodder at the moment. I would consider my LMeta, Ronia, and GZL teams my "main teams." If I'm going to attempt a descend, I'm very likely taking one of those teams in.

But most monsters on my main teams are max level or L/D.

So for R/G/B Supers, I've been feeding leads and monsters for my WIP teams, like Armadel, Chiyome, and blue physical. Those teams aren't ready for prime time yet, but they could be with more levels. (Side note: My Armadel team can consistently sweep tri-color on Legend with a Verdandi friend.)

There's also the matter of preparing monsters for cost-restricted dungeons, like Tengu and Gaia (though I've already cleared Gaia on the lower difficulty and I don't have much interest in Tengu).

I don't know if any of my WIP teams have what it takes to clear descends without more REM subs. So I have some teams that are fun to play, but I don't really have any challenging content to throw them against that I think they stand a chance of clearing. It's like having a garage of pretty cars but knowing only 2 or 3 could drive on the Autobahn without getting run over. And living next to the Autobahn. :p

If a PAD team can't clear descends and you already have several other teams that are just as effective for farming, why keep those teams around (other than a change of pace)?

Thanks! I'm always glad to bring a smile to someone's day. :)

My WIP team for UEvo Starling worked great for tri-color, but would probably face significantly more difficult battles with standard dungeons.

I agree the "rainbow butterfly dragon" is prettier, but I really like the art for UEvo Starling. I thought my daughter would be a little more impressed, though that wasn't my sole motive in evolving Starling; it was mostly because I could. I guess it's all a matter of preference.

But yes, Swallowtail is prettier. :)

12. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    May 22 (release date for PADZ and PAD SMB) can't get here soon enough. :p

I was racking my brain for anything of note to report, but I've just been running Supers and theorycrafting to see if I have any leads aside from the big 3 (LMeta, Ronia, GZL) that might be capable of clearing descends.

But, try as I might, I don't think I have the subs to make leads like Chiyome, Apocalypse, and Armadel viable for descends. I'm still several ranks away from having the team cost to make a really rockin' Athena team. And, so far, the PEM hasn't dropped the last jewel I need for Beelz's UEvo.

I've gotten 2 skill-ups in the last week and those were both on a Hellice Frost Demon. -_-

I'm getting ready to burn all my remaining stamina trying to skill-up JDDJ, but I'm not really expecting even a single skill-up.

I looked at the descend list for the latest event and was disappointed to not see anything I really care about yet.

I feel like I'm losing interest in PAD (again) and I wonder why I'm disappointed by that fact. I have so many games I've actually spent money on that I could be playing, but I've invested so much time and effort into PAD. I've had fun building some side teams (especially my G/R and R/G Armadel team, which I run with Verdandi team leads), but I run out of steam when I consider that none of them are likely to clear descends.

Making my LMeta team stronger depends almost entirely on skilling up mini DQXQ, mini SQ, or Sandalphon, all of which sound like a horrible chore to skill up (especially Sandalphon), or landing ideal REM subs (i.e. full-size DQXQ, Raph, and Fuu).

I've taken my GZL team about as far as I can without skill-ups or REM subs, too.

Same goes for my Ronia team.

Maybe it's all a blessing. Losing interest has given me more time to spend on other things and kept me from those frustrating episodes where I fixate on clearing a specific dungeon or descend.

I just read about all the PAD news and make the :/ face and feel like I just don't really care any more. I feel like I've gone about as far as I can go and done all I really wanted to do as a non-IAP player (with the possible exception of hypermaxing my LMeta, which still sounds like a horrible chore).

One PCGF and a few choice rolls could change everything; it's the nature of the game. But part of me half-hopes to roll rubbish the next time I pull on the REM so I can ride gracefully into the sunset...

...and right into PADZ and PAD SMB. :) Yes, I'm still super-hyped about them both.

13. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Ran Dragon in Motley 5 times last night during 2x drop rate.

Got 1 Pierdrawn drop.

-_-

At least I got 1 skill-up from my 1 Pierdrawn.

PDX is speculating that NA gets Medjedra on 4/17. I hope they're right!

Now I just have to review the PDX page for Medjedra's descend on Legend difficulty to try to figure out which team I should bring...

14. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Archdemons and 3K for day 1 of the next godfest event.

I had planned on waiting for PCGF, but that combination makes it so hard! I could put any of those 10 monsters to good use with Ronia, GZL, or LMeta or even put together some decent teams with those monsters as leads.

15. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Ran Athena's descend 3 times in the vain hope of scoring a fire jewel--the last jewel I need for Beelz's UEvo.

Good news is I cleared it 2/3 times with my standard LMeta team (LMeta/Echidna/Valk/Angelion/Shynee)!

Bad news is: No jewel. :(

Oh well. The rare evo mats event lasts another 4 days...

16. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    After reading over the list of featured monsters in today's godfest yesterday, I decided to roll twice. I'd be happy to land 9/10 of the featured monsters (since I already have Amon) and THRILLED to land DQXQ.

So, as planned, I rolled twice...

...a gold egg popped out...

...and it was LKali.

...I still haven't decided how I feel. Not as excited as I would have had I landed DQXQ, Belial, FA Luci, SQ, Lu Bu--you get the idea. And I don't play the UEvo Kirin I have because, well, I'm not skilled enough to activate her LS consistently yet. And possibly may never be.

My second roll was a silver egg, Radious, so I stuck to the plan and stopped rolling--for now, anyway. :p I still have 14 stones left, the day's not over, and even the remote possibility of landing DQXQ is enough to scramble my usual levelheadedness and urge me to roll one more time...

17. maherd

maherd Bearded Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Congrats on LKali! She is such a fantastic sub that she will definitely come into good use for you. Her AS makes activating any of the 4 color match gods easier at least for that turn.

18. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Thanks!

I have some ideas for a LKali team, but I'll be taking my time building it.

I'm still bummed I didn't get DQXQ or any of the other featured monsters I had my eye on, but I'm still happy about getting LKali.

On a related note, I decided to roll once more and grimaced as a star egg rolled out.

I got Ruka. :(

It's funny because I would have been SO HYPED to get Fuu, but I don't have much use for Ruka (that I'm aware of, anyway).

19. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Cleared Underworld Guardian - Legend 4/18/15

Copypasta!

On a somewhat related note, here's my theory 100% skill lock resist team: https://www.padherder.com/user/Tek7/teams/#138725;maxed

Graham and unlimitedx like this.
  20. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Funny follow-up to this post from not even 3 weeks ago: I plan on covering dark attribute on my theory LKali team with D.Izanami.

The moral of the story: Save those descend drops because they very well may come in handy!

maherd, unlimitedx and Graham like this.