The Trials, Travails, and Triumphs of Tek, a sometimes average $79.60 total IAP PAD player

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by Tek7, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I'd been trying to clear the Hera-Ur Mythical challenge for the fire jewel, but decided to quit after 7-8 tries:

2. lennn

lennn Well-Known Member

PADherder:
    link
    I dont play Lmeta so this might just be bad advice.

Have you try putting in mini dqxq to replace angelion? You give up a quick heart maker and like 1k hp for a slower double orb converter.
    But you'll get a few extra light orbs with dqxq, who also have 1 light orb enhance awakening.
    I guess if you're looking for more dmg the mini dqxq might be better.

Maybe head over to the light healer thread and ask them.

3. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    My mini DQXQ is still at skill level 1, so I don't think it would be a wise move at this time. (My Angelion is max-skilled and I have 4 skill boosts on the team, so I can have a pretty awesome board on turn 2 if I need it.)

If and when I max-skill my mini DQXQ, I plan to swap them in and Angelion out.

4. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Need several dub-mythlits, including one to evolve Medjedra (who will be the newest member of my Armadel team) and D.Izanami (who covers dark on my LKali team).

Ran Friday dungeon 4 times on Expert today.

Got 0 dub-mythlits.

May 22 (release of PADZ and PAD SMB) can not come soon enough.

I ran my fledgling LKali team in EC today for grins and giggles. I don't know why, but it feels like it's easier to activate her LS then Kirin's...which makes no sense at all, since they're both "clear 4 types of orbs for 5x ATK multiplier." I still didn't clear EC with the team, but I felt less awful with LKali than I have with Kirin. Maybe it's knowing that I have the safety net of LKali's active that lets me better focus on the board.

EDIT: I also ran EC with my Armadel team and made it to floor 49 and was able to get Hera down to ~20-25% HP. Not bad for a first run with what my daughter has dubbed my "Christmas team." :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    unlimitedx likes this.
  5. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Saw update that adds active skills to pengdra went live.

Fed 24 Amethyst Pengdra to my JDDJ.

Got 1 skill-up.

/facepalm

More convinced than ever to semi-retire from PAD on May 22 (PADZ/PAD SMB release date).

unlimitedx and lennn like this.
  6. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I haven't forgotten about what I had in mind when I posted this back in early March.

To give you a hint of what I planned to write about, I'll first say that I hold a Christian world view and believe God is sovereign. The sovereignty of God is a difficult subject, but for this context, I share my belief to help provide context for how I responded to a series of events that, to many, appeared to be the result of random chance.

I had plans to discuss the book of Esther (a fantastic read, by the way) in the Old Testament and how the casting of lots (or "purim," from which the Jewish holiday takes its name) played a key role in the rescue of the Jews. But that seemed (and still seems) like a long, long way to go to make an illustration.

The TL;DR version amounts to this: I believe God is sovereign and even something as trivial as seemingly random chance in a mobile game is under His control. Since I believe that, I had to look at how I handled skilling up my Valk--effectively ruining my weekend by my own lack of self-control, failing to pay my wife, children, and spiritual disciplines (including daily prayer and reading of the Bible) the attention they deserve, and instead fixating on achieving a relatively insignificant goal--and take a step back to consider my own behavior and my priorities.

Why was I so intensely focused on the task, to the detriment of my responsibilities as a parent and husband? The question stings, to be sure, but if I ignore it, I do so at my own peril.

I'd love to explore why we play PAD and what motivates us to endure game mechanics that are, by all accounts, infuriating. Is it because we inherently seek quantifiable evidence of progress in a world where boundaries are rarely so tidy? Is it because we gravitate toward the concept of strictly linear growth when the trends of life suggest growth is not constant and more often involves advancement and regression in alternating turns? Perhaps we want to retreat into a world that rewards us for intelligence and developing a skill when the course of life so rarely involves anything so mentally taxing once we leave the world of education (with exceptions for the brainiacs out there :)).

And, perhaps the most practical question, should I be playing PAD at all if I've had so little success playing in moderation?

I understand this must seem like mad ramblings to some, especially to those who hold different world views. But the luxury of having a blog thread is indulging in introspection. This is a glimpse of how I see myself and how I see PAD and how I see the two interact.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: I really, really like the core gameplay of PAD, but the dependence on random chance and overwhelming advantage sold to players in the form of IAP mar what would otherwise be a significantly better experience. Yes, this is, in large part, what makes PAD so profitable for GungHo, but it's also what holds it back from being a truly great game.

I know I've raised my hopes for PADZ and PAD SMB too high, but they hold so much promise, if only in principle, as a PAD without the REM, without skill-ups, and without a stamina meter. They represent PAD without all the cruft that, for me, so often ruins what's otherwise a really fun puzzle game.

Regardless whether PADZ and PAD SMB live up to their potential, I would do well to constantly consider my own motives and behavior when playing PAD. If I can play in moderation and put it aside when I need to focus on more important things, then fine, I like switching gears and exercising my brain with a different type of workout for a little while each day. But if I continue to allow the game more influence over my emotions than is reasonable, well, I always have the option of uninstalling. At least I'll have my PADherder and this thread to show what I accomplished in-game before resigning.

We'll see how it goes. Right now, I think I'm doing a better job taking it easy. But I fear the next shiny thing to chase (the last being Medjedra) will find me right back in a place where I'm fixating on winning a bauble in a game instead of keeping my priorities straight.

samuelburtt, maherd and Graham like this.
  7. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    On a much lighter and shorter note: I ran the Evo Mishmash Dungeon ("Together At Last"? I like my name for it better) 3 times and got 1 dub-mythlit to drop, so I evolved my Medjedra and immediately fed him several green dragons. He's now level 55.

Next dub-mythlit I get goes to D.Izanami to advance the cause of my LKali team. I'm still not convinced I'll be any good with her, but the potential is just too good to ignore.

8. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
  9. samuelburtt

samuelburtt mono-green advocate

User ID:
    351 340 253
    Longish post incoming hope you don't mind.

As a fellow father, husband & Christian I really appreciate your honesty and openness about this question, which I think many of us are also struggling with. I too often focus on PAD related tasks and achievements to detriment of real-world (and spiritual) priorities. I know that even the thought of just up and quitting PAD makes me feel a little bit sick -- the time invested and all that.... But there are also countless times I've given PAD more time and attention than it deserves and walked away feeling frustrated and grumpy because I got unlucky with skillups/REM or just sucked in a dungeon I know I could have beaten (this one really kills me for some reason...). I try not to be a slave to the stamina bar, but if I'm honest, it's always in the back of my mind.

Why do we do it? That's a good question that I've also been trying to answer. If the only reason I'm still playing PAD is because quitting would feel like I've wasted a bunch of time -- well, that would mean I SHOULD quit asap. But I really do enjoy PAD sometimes, and not just when I get lucky, but it's when I "puzzle hard" and beat something that I couldn't before. I have either gotten better, or improved my team (+eggs, composition, etc.) I enjoy the strategic aspect of building teams and matching them to certain dungeons.

But when I read your suggested "motivations" they really rang true as well.

Is it because we inherently seek quantifiable evidence of progress in a world where boundaries are rarely so tidy? Yes definitely.

Is it because we gravitate toward the concept of strictly linear growth when the trends of life suggest growth is not constant and more often involves advancement and regression in alternating turns?
    Yes again.

Perhaps we want to retreat into a world that rewards us for intelligence and developing a skill when the course of life so rarely involves anything so mentally taxing once we leave the world of education. Yes.

Those are definitely some subconscious factors that keeps us coming back I think. Are they invalid though? Do they mean we should quit? I don't know.

What I do know though is that any "achievements" in the game ultimately equate to nothing in real life. I know I have a limited amount of time on Earth--is this the best use of my time? If PAD were something I played casually just to wind-down or relax every now and then, I know I wouldn't be having an internal struggle about it. But I spend hours playing, and hours more THINKING about PAD, whether team-building in my head or just planning out how to use my stamina. I suspect the reason I spend a lot of time on the forums here as well is an attempt to make my PAD playing more meaningful somehow through this "community" aspect.

Anyway, I keep telling myself, it's OK not to quit, I just need to cut back. But is it even possible to play this game in moderation? Perhaps the stamina bar and the +egg system really does make that impossible, well, for me anyway. Gung ho are going to keep releasing new content that is harder to beat and requires new monsters/teams or more plus eggs to beat. It's part of what makes this game appealing, but part of what makes me think I should get out.

maherd likes this.
  10. maherd

maherd Bearded Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    @samuelburtt I appreciate your post and I think I can speak for @Tek7 in saying that he welcomes such thoughtful posts.

I am actually in the dissertation state of cognition and neuroscience PhD program and study the human reward system. So, since it's relevant to the discussion, I'm preparing a post of similar length on the science of why PAD affects us as it does.

Tek7, that LKali looks really strong. I would suggest playing around with echidna in place of valk some as a "training wheels" version at first. After a while, though, the safety of D.Iza and the two LKali's should be enough. Having Fuma really frees you up to use more utility subs. Have you thought about this coming gf at all? The greek gods would be pretty good for your teams and those with avo's would give you the ability to farm Twinlits.

11. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    @samuelburtt Thank you for your post and words of encouragement. I want to write a longer reply soon, but I'm at work and only have a few minutes to type. I will quickly say that it's good to know I'm not the only one wrestling with these same issues.

@maherd The human reward system, eh?

Hey, maybe the D in PAD stands for dopamine! :D

/rimshot

/crickets

I'm skipping this godfest because I only have 15 or 16 stones and I still have my eye on DQXQ and Kushi. Awoken Venus would be great for my light healer team and Apollo would be wonderful for my Kirin team (though I'm leaning heavily toward LKali over Kirin as a 5x ATK leader). Aside from that, there aren't any featured monsters that have me itching to roll. (Awoken Hades is cool but the evo mats are outrageous.) Plus the thought of acquiring another Sandalphon to evolve Venus makes my stomach turn. Blech.

As for advancing my LKali team, I'm planning on researching how painful it would be to skill up Fuma. I'm also hoping to score a dub-mythlit to evolve my D.Izanami tomorrow.

I want to take my updated Armadel team (Armadel, R/G Suzaku, Medjedra, G/R Liu Bei, G/R Cu Chu) for a test run soon. I like the idea of Medjedra's active boosting ATK for Balanced type monsters since all the monsters on the team with the exception of Liu Bei (even a Verdandi friend lead!) are Balanced type or sub-type. I can always swap Yinping back in when I need higher RCV or more fire damage.

Okay, time's up! Time to get back to work!

12. unlimitedx

unlimitedx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Fuma was very easy to skill up :). Gold pirate drops quite frequently from Shadow Sprite!

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  13. maherd

maherd Bearded Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    They aren't fun to get from a coin dungeon with no 2x drop though.

14. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Dark Faerie was available in March 2015 and September 2014.

So it looks like I might be waiting half a year for a good opportunity to skill up my Fuma. :/

Coin dungeon rotation will probably bring Gold Pirates back sooner, but all my efforts to collect skill-up materials without a 2x drop rate have been complete wastes of time so far.

15. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    I played the PAD Super Mario Bros. Edition last night/this morning while awake with a sinus infection. (Side note: sinus infections are awful. This isn't news, but rather an observation.) I like it. I'm still hyped about the PADZ/PAD SMB release on 5/22. Just 16 days away!

Checked the new event lineup on the PAD Facebook page. Simultaneously excited and exasperated to see Dark Faerie on the list because it means I'll be attempting to skill up my Fuma for my LKali team. Ugh. Skill-ups.

Realizing there aren't any descends on the upcoming event schedule that excite me and finding I care less and less about progressing further in the game. Building a LKali team interests me, but I sometimes find that "Meh" feeling overtaking me as I'm moving toward my goal.

I should probably clear the current bowl dragon dungeons for the stone, but...meh.

I should probably be excited that I got 10 stones for my 400th day playing PAD, but...meh.

I am rather pleased that I got Suzaku on my first run of Gift from the Holy Beasts, which meant that I scored a fire jewel on my first run. My trouble now is deciding who to feed it to: LKali, Beelzebub, or Brachy. Yes, Brachy. Double TPA and G/R attribute/sub-attribute mean he'd make a great addition to my Armadel team. No need to rush to a decision, though. LKali's UEvo still hasn't reached NA (and, based on recent trends, probably won't for several months) and I may not have the skill to make good use of her anyway.

16. unlimitedx

unlimitedx Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Shadow Sprite is back tomorrow!

17. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Yep. I have mixed feelings on that. :/

On a completely unrelated note, I cleared Fried Cutlet Dragon - Mythical with my Armadel team and a Verdandi friend lead.

Immediately after, I burst out laughing. My wife, who was sitting in the room with me at the time, asked, "You did something ridiculous, didn't you?"

Me: "Yep!"

I know Bowl Dragons shouldn't count as proper Mythical dungeons, but I still got a kick out of clearing it with my Armadel team.

Verdandi + Cu Chu + Medjedra + Armadel actives on the same turn = 22 enhanced wood orbs + 2x 4 fire orb matches * 3.3 * 3.5 * 1.3 multipliers = MASSIVE DAMAGE

18. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Had an idea for PAD fanart where Verdandi is happily petting Medjedra, Medjed is purring loudly, and Osiris is standing dejectedly in the background. MJ (can we call him/her/it MJ?) is just such an awesome sub for Armadel and Verd. Unfortunately, my art skills are lacking.

Missed Supers yesterday because work was so busy, then somehow flubbed a turn against chunky metal dragon last night. (I'm still not sure how; I'd popped Ronia + Hera-Ur + Baddie + Dark Golem and cleared almost the entire board.) Took some discipline not to stone for a retry, but I resisted temptation and put the game down for a few hours.

Finding myself caring less and less about goals and progress in PAD. I might make a serious attempt at EC with a LKali team, but I'm waiting until after I try to skill-up my Fuma tomorrow. If my efforts tomorrow yield little to no results, that will be one more reason to add to the long list of reasons to semi-retire on 5/22 when PADZ/PAD SMB arrives in the mail. (LESS THAN TWO WEEKS TO GO, SO HYPED.)

19. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Back on the subject of why we play PAD, we discussed reasons related to individual progress or the illusion thereof. I think we also need to consider social motives, too; that is, I believe many of us are also seeking shared asynchronous experiences.

That's a fancy way of saying that we experience the game in real-time by ourselves, but we then turn to a community to share experiences understood only by a small group of people familiar with a very specific context (in this case, a Japanese puzzle game that's found limited success in NA and other regions).

We share the same hobby, experience many of the same frustrations (as demonstrated by any of the "0/x skill-up" posts across these forums) and celebrations (as demonstrated by the many "I cleared dungeon or descend x!" threads), and respond to others sharing similar experiences.

I can only speak for contexts with which I'm familiar, but it seems complex puzzle games (and especially Japanese puzzle games, which tend to be more complicated than Western titles like Candy Crush Saga) continue to go largely unnoticed in the US. To find a community centered around a game with as much depth and complexity as PAD can be an exciting event for people who may be surrounded by family and friends with dissimilar interests. I fear I may be projecting at this point, so I'll end that line of thought there.

In short, the social aspect of PAD--which, though it seems like a contradiction given the game's lack of multiplayer, is a very real thing--is a significant draw, especially for people who don't have any local friends who play. Knowing that we can share a snapshot of all our accomplishments in PAD, some hard-won, simply by linking a PADherder profile can be a powerful motivator for continuing to play the game. If we played solely in isolation--if there was no PADherder, no PDX, no PAD Forums--would we be as likely to continue playing when we hit a wall or encountered a terrible skill-up streak?

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    samuelburtt and unlimitedx like this.
  20. Tek7

Tek7 Well-Known Member

User ID:
    PADherder:
    link
    Going to craft a long list of potential goals so I can decide which ones I actually care about:

Normal
    Clear Legendary Seaway
    Clear Legendary Earth

Technical
    Clear Legendary Mountain Path
    Clear Paradise of the Holy Beasts

Special
    Clear Endless Corridors
    Clear Tuesday Mythical
    Clear Wednesday Legend
    Clear Thursday Mythical
    Clear Friday Mythical

Descended - Standard Dungeon Series
    Clear Zeus-Dios Descended
    Clear Zeus Vulcan Descended
    Clear Zeus Mercury Descended
    Clear Mephisto Descended
    Clear Grimoires Descended again for Theurgia
    Clear Thoth & Sopdet Descended again for Thoth
    Zero-stone Beelzebub Descended

Descended - Conditional Dungeon Series
    Clear Dark Knight! - Phys / Devils Only
    Clear Zhang Fei!! - Phys / Atkr Only
    Clear Wadatsumi Descended! - Awoken Skills Invalid
    Clear Noah Descended! - All Att Needed
    Clear Xuanzang Descended! - Max 20 Cost Each
    Clear Tengu!!! - Max 12 Cost Each
    Clear Draggie! - Max 10 Cost Each

I'm waiting for NA to receive the update where sub-types and sub-attributes are eligible for conditional descends before even attempting any conditionals.

I've pulled enough KoGs, sacred masks, and twinlits from the PEM, so my motivation to clear Wednesday Legend, Thursday Mythical, and Friday Mythical is currently nil.

I'll try to post again with monster-specific goals and miscellaneous goals soon.